Scanner - Resouce scanner addon, would you use?

Would you use such a tool?

• Yes, but I would hire someone to do it for me.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ludvig|MindArk

MindArk Official
Staff member
Admin
MindArk Official
Formerly "Foeburner Nighthawk Delta"
So I had an idea that could make mining more interesting and give skilled scanners a chance to get a job (either for miners or LA owners).

First, make something called a "Omegaton Area Resource Addition 5" or whatever. ARA5 for short.
Second, make "powder versions" of all resources that can be found (for example, "Scanner Powder - Lysterium" could be made using 1 Lysterium Stone (non refined) and 10 sweat for 10 units of powder).

The scanner would then, when the addon is attached and the scanner is used, show a list of the resource powders you have available in your inventory.

You click one (or several) of the resources you wish to scan for, then press the "Use" button like you normally would when scanning.

A window pops up telling you "The resource you were scanning for was not detected" or "[Resource] was detected in the area." You would then know for sure if the resource is available there or not, meaning you would know if it is worth mining there.

This could be useful for LA owners that wants to see which resources are available at the LA, or big time miners that wants to know if the resource they want is possible to find in the area before they amp up or whatever.

- Range of the tool could be determined by the scanner it is attached to, like 10x the scanner range or something (no idea).
- Some resources could require higher scanning skills to scan for.
- There could be further, higher level attachments showing the (VERY) approximate depth and/or chance (on a scale 1-1000 or something) to find the resource using a finder with that average depth.

TL;DR Version
It would be an addition to the regular scanners (that we now scan people, vehicles and mobs with) that allows you to see if a resource is available in a certain area by consuming a small amount of the resource blended with sweat.

What do you think, would you use it? Would it be good for the game?

Last edited:
hell, why not add the option to scan mobs to see if they carry loot or not, lol?

hell, why not add the option to scan mobs to see if they carry loot or not, lol?

Because that would be a completely different thing? This would simply show if it is POSSIBLE to find a resource in a larger area, it would not mean you WILL find that resource if you mine there and it does not mean you will get the resource. It simply shows it is available in some amount somewhere near you.

It would not last long, once everywhere has been scanned and logged and open on this forum. It will become useless :)

Good idea for sure though, just not sure if it will last if it was made.

I guess it's apparent that the resources aren't "waiting in the ground" and are calculated on the fly after the bomb is dropped (the same way as alive mobs don't "contain" any loot)? In the best case such a scanner would display just a probability of finding those resources there, that doesn't guarantee you to actually find any of those during the current run. And that job is perfectly done by static maps made from past mining results (apparently any serious miner has those, also ET has that function, afaik).

It would not last long, once everywhere has been scanned and logged and open on this forum. It will become useless :)

Unless an area changes or a resource is more spread at some times than others :) like fairly rare ones.

I guess it's apparent that the resources aren't "waiting in the ground" and are calculated on the fly after the bomb is dropped (the same way as alive mobs don't "contain" any loot)? In the best case such a scanner would display just a probability of finding those resources there, that doesn't guarantee you to actually find any of those during the current run.

No, that was kinda the point :silly2: it would show it is possible to find a certain resource in an area at that time (since areas can change) though.

Anyways, was just a suggestion that I thought about cuz I saw someone (yet again) mention that scanners still aint got much use :)

Your poll is missing the option for "Very bad idea".

Knowing where to find rare resources is important for a miner, and if you are searching for very rare ores/enmatters, it takes several 100s (if not 1000s) of drop to determine if an area holds the particular resource you are looking for.

Reducing this to a "single click on a scanner" is merely a joke.

Moreover pretty useless as "economy boost" - that a resource exists in an area does not mean you are skilled enough to find it. And, you need to scan like 100 times only to map all resources on whole amethera, after that there is no more use for your little "idea"

Deprecated.

Back