Self Defense for a new miner...

Centurio

Old Alpha
Cornelius Centurio
Hi all,

I've been in EU for about 2 weeks now and having a blast! :yay: I have tried all the various things to do and found I am addicted to mining (might have something to do with the 63 global I got mining on my second day!! :wtg: )

BUT - What annoys me more than anything is walking out into the bush and finding a good mining area, only to end up in the middle of a big mob of mobs. I either end up A) running around them which takes forever, or B) get killed by one who surprises me while I am trying to thread my way through; then I have to revive and run somewhere else.

Do you veteran miners carry a lot of stuff for defense, or do you just deal with it?

I have a Shogun harness that I bought and various Pixie/Goblin/Gnome parts that I traded for/scavenged. I carry an Opalo with Amp as well as 1x0 and 2x0 Axes. I can take out all the small mobs that get in my way or that get too close to a claim marker. I have been jumped by small Atrax and can take them out like 50% of the time.

Does anyone have recommendations for me? Is my setup OK, or should I work on improving it? Or should I just get used to running a lot and reviving a lot? :mad:

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!!!

Last edited:
:rolleyes: a fap is a must and u should maybe get the shogun full...then ur fully ready

Does anyone have recommendations for me? Is my setup OK, or should I work on improving it? Or should I just get used to running a lot and reviving a lot? :mad:

no reviving....unless its a big mob that u know u cant kill....

only mine where you can survive....

hundreds of areas that mine well without mobs, and even more that have easy mobs.

if you mine in areas that have mobs that are out of your skill range, you will just loose more peds than you would have mining in a no mob area

work your way up....trust me on this.

Regards,

only mine where you can survive....

hundreds of areas that mine well without mobs, and even more that have easy mobs.

if you mine in areas that have mobs that are out of your skill range, you will just loose more peds than you would have mining in a no mob area

work your way up....trust me on this.

Regards,

Follow Netstalkers advice...
Choose mining fields with mobs that are easy to kill at your current skill. U need to be able run around without having to much trouble with the mobs. Theres nothing as frustrating as finding a claim thats inside the agro-range of a mob that will kill u twice before u hit the ground.

Like netstalker said, work you way up and as your huntingskills progress u can move on to other mining fields with harder mobs.

On a side note: May I suggest South East of Port Atlantis. Nice mining field with good deposits. And a amped opalo will do for the Bibos and Exas youll encounter there.

Last edited:
Hi. I am a newbie too and had the very same problem. Here is how I solved it: I bought a Justifier MkII, put a A103 on it, and also got a full ghost armor.
I dont have the skill to use the Justifier MkII economically well (I've just made 10 HA in Opallo, and I have only 94 HP), but what do I care? It allows me to kill those pesky atroxes (up to old, with some lil'luck) and most of other medium mobs while mining.
Low level mobs I kill with my Opallo+A101 and full goblin armor.
I also carry a FAP-35 for the rough times. Again, I am nowhere near to use it economically well, but it heals me good and fast.
From my POV, if you care for economy while killing mobs, you should be a hunter. Not a miner. :)
Of course, I try to avoid contact with big mobs, but sometimes you just can't help yourself that much. :)
[]'s

Quasar

As mentioned above a FAP is a must. If you can afford it, it might be a good idea to buy a FAP 5 aswell as another bigger FAP for quick fapping during emergencies.

I used to mine armorless, fapless, gunless for a very long time just to learn how avoid aggroing. Now i use Shogun + 2a, fap 5 fap 50 Korss h400 with 105 amp and an emik for a finisher just in case my claim pops up under something tougher.

I hunted for 3 years before going miner.
So I have a couple of skillpoints. I carry a Delta+Beast and Nemesis+5b. Keeps me alive for most things interacting with me anywhere. Dying sucks, and cost time. When Im on a 1000 bomb run, and in the middle of it get killed and placed far away from where I was, I lose the feeling, and log out. But when I keep alive, I can go for a long long time..

To be a good miner IMO, you need to skill up to be a decent hunter, until then try to avoid the mobs.

I spent weeks running around the world with no armor. It is really good practice in learning how to avoid different mobs and you may find fruit , dung and I was able to observe where others are mining and how they mine an area.

A great way to avoid mobs is a TP chip, this is a very important mining tool. It allows you to jump over that mob and bring that nice heavy load in to storage. A you become familiar with the world you will learn where you can jump safely and not end up in the center of a mob that you cannot handle.

I prefer rifle skills but many miners prefer the fast take down of pistols, weapons are a personal choice.

As far a Faps go, a fap5 and fap50 will carry a miner a long way in the game.

Last edited:
yes, get the full shogun and some plates for it... and avoid mobs that you stand no chance against

Netstalker is right as always :)

start to use fap-5 or something to work up your healingskills alittle. Will come in handy later. A mk2 with amp will is enough to mine in tons of places.
It all depense how much you feel that you can invest in gears.

Fap-50, good healing power at a reasonable pricetag and liveable decay

For weapons, I'd say if your tight on peds an L/murdand groover should suit you well, as should a spark davidov/a&p hero. Good self defense for the non-hunter, not too pricey

the 2.0axe is not bad at all if your just standing upto mobs that randomly aggro you

Thanks a lot for all the tips everyone, I REALLY appreciate it.

I've also started doing some mining along coastlines. I've noticed not as many mobs close to the water and, if one does notice me, I can take a quick swim and drown the sucker. (Plus my 3 largest finds have come quite close to various shorelines! :yay: )

Thanks a lot for all the tips everyone, I REALLY appreciate it.

I've also started doing some mining along coastlines. I've noticed not as many mobs close to the water and, if one does notice me, I can take a quick swim and drown the sucker. (Plus my 3 largest finds have come quite close to various shorelines! :yay: )

Awesome! but be warned there are mobs in the water that'll rip you a new one in places lol

Back