Question: Should Privateers be allowed into Calypso airspace?

Should Privateers be allowed to land?

• Yes, allow Privateers to land in Hangars

Votes: 69 76.7%
  • Yes, allow Privateers to land at Athena Space Port

Votes: 27 30.0%
  • No, keep Privateers in space

Votes: 9 10.0%
  • Allow Privateers to land anywhere they want

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Allow Privateers to land, but with taxes on landing

Votes: 14 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Few Scars

Marauder
Society
Freelancer
Bjorn Bjorn Longstaff
Hi
We have had Hangars and Privateers returned for some time now. The Privateers are active transporting passengers about space, but the hangars on Calypso sit empty with no use other than a cool apartment with tennis court.

I am hoping we will see some updates in space soon with new ships etc, but more so is the accessibility of Privateers to the surface and land in pre-designated zones or hangars. Should we encourage MindArk to allow Privateers into Calypso airspace. Imagine a Privateer flying past Twins or landing at Athena space port!

I will make a poll so Kim can see our thoughts on hangars and privateers

Cheers
Bjorn

Voted should be able to land in hangars. Kinda is what they were ment for yes?

-Bemo-

I am inclined to agree tha tthey should be as this was their original design and purpose when they were shuttles. It is possible that this is MAs long term plan with the UL Thrusters being given to the Privateer owners or that may have just been part of mimor compensation offered for their losses.

The irony of this is I may even get flamed for this as a MS owner.

I am inclined to agree tha tthey should be as this was their original design and purpose when they were shuttles. It is possible that this is MAs long term plan with the UL Thrusters being given to the Privateer owners or that may have just been part of mimor compensation offered for their losses.

The irony of this is I may even get flamed for this as a MS owner.

I am sure Motherships could be allowed into the atmosphere, as seen on Arkadia where the static Motherships hang above the Firebases, which you can even land on LOL. I think the key with Motherships would be that they are too big to land on the surface and have a limit of minimum altitude, i.e. they cant go lower than 200m above the surface.

Imagine hunting in the middle of a LA and a mothership flys past!

Just a thought, Mothership's advantage so far is there's a hangar inside the ship, so MS can warp flight to planet border then passengers fly down to planet with their own quad, and hangar ship can only tp to space station and tp down to planet. If both or only hangar ship can land in hangar then what's the advantage of mothership owners?

Just a thought, Mothership's advantage so far is there's a hangar inside the ship, so MS can warp flight to planet border then passengers fly down to planet with their own quad, and hangar ship can only tp to space station and tp down to planet. If both or only hangar ship can land in hangar then what's the advantage of mothership owners?

What makes you think that mothership owners should have an advantage, other than their own internal hangar for small ships ?

What makes you think that mothership owners should have an advantage, other than their own internal hangar for small ships ?

True, Mindark never promised Mothership would have any big advantages. My bad.:ahh:

The people spending PEDs for and MA usually cares about big investments. I don't see why Privateer owners, which is a far bigger group than MS owners should have an advantage.

I would welcome most changes that make space more accessible to people.
Having more ships visit the planet would definitely do so.

From all the options presented, I think landing at Athena would have the greatest impact - one place for space explorers to meet.

Let them land only on hangar property... Might be a problem on planets without hangars

The people spending PEDs for and MA usually cares about big investments. I don't see why Privateer owners, which is a far bigger group than MS owners should have an advantage.

Perhaps because many pre-vu10 owners paid substantially more than any MS owner has. (As a group, they were MUCH bigger investors than the MS owner group.)

Then with no notice whatsoever, found on logging in to VU10 (August 2009) that their estates and ships had vanished, and being told they'd have to wait some indeterminate time for any part of their ship to be returned ... which did not happen until VU12 (June 2011).

Yes, they got a share of the tp fees while there was no 'space' system. However any 'working' pilot pre-vu10 can confirm that this was minor compared to their pre-vu10 income from flights. Nor could the hangars/ships be sold or traded during that time - which probably made for some tricky RL decisions for some owners, given that that was in the middle of the GFC.

When Space did come back (June 2011), motherships were listed on auction before pre-vu10 owners were even advised what sort of ship they might receive, and then took til the following month (July 2011) before finally receiving their privateers.

Marco said:
..The hangars will once space is opened serve as an important part of the system...

And here they are in August 2012, still waiting for that to happen.

Last edited:
And here they are in September 2012, still waiting for that to happen.

That is rapidly becoming the most common skill unlock for long-term players :)

*cough*Taming*cough*

I think with some limitations they should be able to land... of course landing in hangar is not that usefull since hangars are only on Calypso and the feature to land should be usefull on others planets of course.

Why not allow all ships to land but to stay a bit far from ground to avoid bad affect to gameplay?

I created a second poll motherships related just to hear opinions on all vehicles still not allowed to leave space:

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/...?230993-Should-Motherships-be-allowed-to-land

Perhaps what is needed is a smaller, multi-passenger craft, seating maybe 12, or maybe 20.

Each of these craft is assigned to a privateer and can land only at their hangar or at a designated space base. This craft can also dock with a privateer (or simply use short ranged TP when close enough) to allow passengers to transfer between the two.

These smaller craft would not be capable of interplanetary travel unless tethered to its Privateer.

Imo, Privateer should be the biggest size a planet-to-space-to-planet landable ship could have... But it should be restricted to hangars.

Since Privateers are no longer tied to a certain hangar (hangar and ship deeds are sellable seperately) this would allow the creation of a new system allowing hangar owners (that have no ship) to rent out their hangar for xPED per hour or day.

Ofc this would need to be solved on other planets by adding hangars or fields they can land on, or something like that.

Voted PT's should be able to land anywhere inc a hangar as this was mentioned as a future feature at least a year ago <cough taming> :) Also MS's should stay in space as this was the the intended purpose. I also would like to see space at least doubled in size and safe zones made at least twice as big:twocents:

Let them land only on hangar property... Might be a problem on planets without hangars

Hit the nail on the head. I think this is why privateers can't land.... because they'd have to force the other PPs to add many hangars or allow them to land anywhere, making hangars worthless. I'd like to see privateers be able to land anywhere they have a wide open space to land (e.g. can't just land in the middle of twins and sit on top of everything else). I'd like to see motherships able to enter atmosphere at +1000 and no lower.

While I'm listing the things I'd like to see, I'd like to be able to hook up 5 of them to make a giant voltron-like thing to fight terrifying robot motherships.

Speaking of space changes... didn't MA say that this year they'd focus on space improvements? We have yet to see anything other than bug fixes (which were appreciated, don't get me wrong!).

I think only privateers should be able to land as they were the original hangar owners.

If landing was allowed I wonder how many privateer owners still have their thrusters and hangers and how many sold them :scratch2:

even if they can't land, at least let them crash. We need more broken spaceships like the old one around Phoenix before vu 10...

Need more of this in game:

Voted option a)

:)

yes, privateers should be able to land at their hangars, and hangars where they owner and/or pilot has landing privileges. they should also be able to land at the public spaceports like Athena.

Motherships should be able to breach atmo, but not land. but low enough in atmo for aircraft leave the hangar deck and land, and for the ship teleporter to be able to network to the planetary teleporter system. in atmo teleporter only works with planetary network. cant tp into the space station. in space only to to space station. if you are on guest list and mothership is in atmo you can tp directly to the ship from any tp you have access to.

all ships have landing fees based on size of ship. motherships would pay the highest fee but any aircraft landing from the hangar deck within atmo do not. warp flight would require breaking atmo and travelling a distance away from the planet to avoid issues with the planetary gravity well. also privateers and warp ships would end up in space randomly instead of only the safe zone around the space station. small aircraft would go straight to space station safe zone like normal

Voted land in hangers and Athena space port. Think it was the intention of hangers I thought and Athena is a space port after all.

Privateers should be able to land, but not be able to summon.

Motherships should be able to summon, but not be able to land.

So they have a space port for all the non-native ships and hangars for the their native ones.

As K-Max has said Calypso already has Athena Space port ready for non-native ships. The other planets can add hangars as they increase their playerbase but have a space port for general use by Calypso and other planets.

Back