Question: Should Reputation be redone as Event Promotiing.. and include Reputation as what it should truly be?

BenCoyote

Old Alpha
Society
Freelancer
Benjamin 'Ben' Coyote
Alright it's about high time we all sat down and had this discussion and in fact it revolves around 1 and only one skill. and that skill is perhaps the least known and yet most widely know..

The skill I'm refering to is of course Reputation..

Frankly to be honest, Repuation is in fact a skill that i feel is in fact not redundant but rather misnammed. and for good reason..

When a person promotes an event usually at the end of the event the person who created said event gets a reputation point.. (and since reputation goes up consistently with the number of events you create and promote, the higher your reputation becomes right?

But I just realized something.. Reputaiton is not the same as event Promoting.. and in fact the reputaiton skill is in fact totally moot, unless you want to look at itin a different light..

According to the Miram-Webster Dictionary, Repuatation is in fact defined as this:

"the common opinion that people have about someone or something : the way in which people think of someone or something."

So my question is .. what does this have to do with Event promoting?

Well to be honest again, very little..

Now prmote even doesn't define the true aspect of the sense of the word as again I refer back to the Webster dictionary..

: to change the rank or position of (someone) to a higher or more important one

: to move (a sports team) to a higher position in a league

: to help (something) happen, develop, or increase

Now for ths word (promote), only the last defrinition would fet the definition of the word promote 9and this includes promoter and event Promoter..

So why does MA have this "Reputation" thing in as a social skill rather than the word "Event promoting?"

So yeah already you can see where i am going with this one..

Why is it that people (some of them who could be totally anti-social in game) get "Reputation " if they hold an event..

Also let's look at the one thing that as been going on a lot lately..and that isof course the notorious thing that deals with of ocurse scamming (and yes even space piracy in lootable PVP) is a mark against anyone's "Reputation."

After all a persoin who has "High "Reputation" is a person who doesn't lie cheat or steal (of course in today's world, I would say that any politician who has a high reputation is really nothing more than a person who is looked on as a decent guy.. and we all know what politicians get into.. a lot of trouble.. be it embezzlement, sex scandals, or even other forms of corruption..

But let's get back to the brass tacks and look at reputation..

It's the ability for a person to be well known and well liked, (No it's not a popularty contest, but rather a person who is just trying to keep things moving.. be it socially or economically..

In fact take a look at what MA says about what players should do and how they should act..

This is in fact under a simpl;e FAQ that is constantly asked.. and that question is.."Can I Change my name?"

MA's response is thus..

Unless the name violates the EULA or ToU or you happened to write your real name as your avatar name, we do not change the name of your avatar. The reason for not allowing a change of your avatar name is that you build reputation and trust inside the Entropia Universe by the name of your avatar. To allow this to be changed would undermine confidence in existing avatar relations.

Note what they just said.. The Name you take as an avatar, (and unless it violates the TOU or the EULA) can NOT be changed.. period.. and look what they say further, abut why they don't do this..

The reason is simple.. They want you to build your reputation and trust on yur own avatar..

And that right there is the difference.. So ergo, the skill "Repuation is therefore moot..

you could be the meanest son of a gun in real life but you could be nice in this game, or vice versa.. and it doesn't matter how many events you promte if you're reputation is bad in this game, would anyone really want to trust you?

and thus this is the flaw for this skill...

Reputation should be sort of like a Positive and or negative aspect on your character (in antoehr game you could say it's the "Light" side or the "Dark" side of your personality of your avatar..

If youw ant to be mean, rude, inconsiderate, you want to scam or pirate, then believe me, your repuation would be shot in the eyes of a lot of folks who are honest and trustworthy..

In short yes you should start off with say 1000 repuation points but it's every action you do after every trade (or scam) you make that determines what your reputation is..

(And yes there should be negative repuation as well. and believe me some fo the players would have negative repuations.. some would be well noted..

But the point is this..

Repuation as it currently stands is totally pointless.. And in fact this combined with the Karma system that MA has designed for just space ships, really makes any players reputaiton pointless as well..
(Myself included..)

One day you could be a good guy helping the masses, the next you could be robbing someone up in space of their loot, and then fencing it off..

like I said, Pointlless..

Also let's say that you look at repuation.. it's the belieef that anyone can be good and or evil..

So what could MA do?

Well for starters, abolish the Ship Karma system.. it makes no sense to have a negative Karma ship and you have a positive repuation... in fact I tensted out a theory, and in fact the interesting thing is this..

The moment you kill antoehr player in space your quad goes from Neutral to Rude..or if you kill a lot of cosmic horrors and then go pirate the repuation should be positive right? wrong, it still goes negative the first time you kill a person, and no matter how many horrors you kill, the rating sinks lower and lower..

So this is where things have got to change..

First off make event promoting what it is.. If you promote an event and people give you say more than 50% reuation then you should get a point in your event promoting skill..

But reputation should be on every trade every act you do to help people (Like mentoring ) and ifact this comes to the next part.. how could MA incorporate such a "Reputation system."

The answer is simple.. and it lies insde the mentoring system..

You get a chance to grade every player by his or her actions and if they do a good job teaching you should get a positive boost in your reputtaiton.. if the disciple quits or gives you low repuation, then you should lose a little reputation..

In short, this is where MA really needs to focus on it's definitions on reputation, and Event promoter..

Event promoter skills should only go up, and never ddown..

Reputation on the other hand should fluctuate, and even waver..

Like I said, tht's the differece right there..

So maybe it's time for MA to rework the social aspect of the game, and give points and professions where they are due.. and also to be able to seperate the wheat from the chaff..

in closing if someone could come up with a better idea, then by all means let's hear it..

Benjamin Ben Coyote (Space Pilot Callsign "Coyote")
a.k.a. "The Blind sniper" (and) His_Dog_Spot.

holy moly, tl;dr version?

The Abridged version for our last poster..

holy moly, tl;dr version?

Want the short version?

Reputation should not be part of being an event pomoter.. However reputation should be based on trading and other things other than events..

Short enough for ya?:lolup::dunce:

Benjamin Ben Coytoe (Space Pilot Callsign "Coyote")
a.k.a."The Blind Sniper". (and) His _Dog_Spot.

Isn't reputation a result of how you behave in events already? I am quite certain event promotion has its own skill (but can't log in at the moment to check).

Reputation should not be part of being an event pomoter.

It isn't.

I'm continually astonished by your ability to spend such a lot of time writing so many words on subjects you know absolutely nothing about.

Again.. I reinterate.. Pointless!

It isn't.

I'm continually astonished by your ability to spend such a lot of time writing so many words on subjects you know absolutely nothing about.

*Raise eyebrow* Oh really?

Well let's start off with this whole reputation thing.. and how it doesn't relate to actual reputaiton of the avatar.. do you get reputation points for anything else other than just promoting events?

Like.. shooting down ships.. or even making bood and bad deals?

In short, does Reputtaiton even have a purpose other than just to show you have a 1000 point reputation..

Unless MA makes reputation a real viable score. I find it highly unlikely tht this should be a skill period..

Now if you'd be so kind as to explain to the audience (and you can be as verbose as you want), then please explain to everyone in the peanut gallery.. what is reputation really good for?

Just my 2 pec..

Benjamin Ben Coyote (Pilot Callsign "Coyote")
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper" (and) "His_Doc_SPot"

*Raise eyebrow* Oh really?

Well let's start off with this whole reputation thing.. and how it doesn't relate to actual reputaiton of the avatar.. do you get reputation points for anything else other than just promoting events?

Like.. shooting down ships.. or even making bood and bad deals?

In short, does Reputtaiton even have a purpose other than just to show you have a 1000 point reputation..

Unless MA makes reputation a real viable score. I find it highly unlikely tht this should be a skill period..

Now if you'd be so kind as to explain to the audience (and you can be as verbose as you want), then please explain to everyone in the peanut gallery.. what is reputation really good for?

Just my 2 pec..

Benjamin Ben Coyote (Pilot Callsign "Coyote")
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper" (and) "His_Doc_SPot"

You must have missundersstood.

Reputation skill is based on how you behave in events. You can vote your competitors up or down depending on how they behave. The event hosters can then use that as a filter, to avoid people that show bad behavior time after time. So yes, that has a purpose.

Promoter Rating however, is the skill that determines how well you have done as an event promoter. The competitors can vote you up and down.

Mentoring as you mentioned, already has such a system. You get to put a score on your mentor from one to five.

Regarding trades: There is no algorithm in the world that could create such a system and make it trustworthy. Easy to abuse. Also, it might give a false sense of security to people when doing deals or lending stuff out.

like the skeptic stated event organizer reputation is totally separate from your personal event going reputation.

One used to show if you make events people enjoy, if people like them they + rep the event and the higher your rep indicates you continually make nice events. I have heard of people - rep events so yes this can be useful, as an organizer your going to want to get + reps and strive harder next time to remove any - rep possibilities.

The other is how you are as a participant, ie if your a mob stealer etc a person will find you on the list and - rep you for being a jerk, or if you constantly spam the event channel with stupid annoying crap you probably get - rep. Eventually your rep will be to low for you to join any events as most require at least 1000 rep to join, so either clean up your act and get + rep to participate again or stay out basically. Also I have seek events requiring 1500 rep points to join because they wanted people that participate in LA events, the prizes were nice and I do agree LA event runners should have more opportunity over others for them constantly running in some events. Again is already a useful system tool that is actively used already.

I also think adding rep for something as trust factor etc is to easily manipulated and can be a negatively used for scamming people. Leave trading and trusting to the individual player not based on some manipulatable system dynamic.

Back