Starter Packs & Ammo Question

UA can't be traded but the ammo from ingame trade terminals (TT) have the same value. 10 ped ($1) buys 100k ammo, the starting guns use 50-100 ammo but later guns use hundreds, then thousands of cells per shot, so you can't tell the ammo cost without knowing what gun one uses. The only advantage of UA is that it can be used for almost all kinds of weapons AND for mining, but it's a subjective advantage as any ammo is freely available at TTs for fixed price. UA ammo is good for people who like to precisely track their returns, as looted ammo doesn't mix with UA, and if you plan to do, say, a 100 ped ammo run - you do exactly that.

To summarize: the Gold is the smallest pack that has armor with 8% running buff and the ZX sinkidus laser amp, which you can't acquire in game. The Platinum has more stuff but doesn't offer anything unique over Gold, nothing you couldn't buy ingame. If not Gold+, then you are better off depositing raw peds and buying stuff in game.

If skills pills are what interests you, the Starters Pack Refill offers more steady supply than starters packs, let alone the strongboxes. But, frankly, skill pills are a waste for a beginner. A progress of a newbie is blazing fast as it is, you gain levels by days, not by months. Since skillgain depends on amount of peds cycled, a skill pill gives a tremendously greater bang for a buck much later in game, when you cycle in a hour (that a pill lasts) more than you currently cycle in a week.

BUT, in the end all depends on how you are going to play. If you consider a starters pack a big investment then of course you need to nit-pick. Low budget players value that amp because it serves them for months and years on low level mobs. But if you plan to shove in money and progress fast, then you indeed will outgrow all the gems of the packs in a blink, as Aio stated. If you see yourself depositing $50+ a month early, you can either safely skip the packs altogether or consider a gold/platinum pack your first month's supply, even if you won't have a use for its items a month later.

Thank you for you reply! :D
So, if I deposit $50 or more in my first month, I will also outgrow the equips in the pack within that time? Sounds reasonable to me. I'm starting to wonder if I'm not just better off depositing for ped and leaving the packs alone, as Aio also said. I basically just wanted a pack for the large amount of pills at one time, but seeing as how I wouldn't use them for weeks and weeks, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, at this point.

With the Adjusted Pixie Armor being better than the Adjusted Harrier Assault armor, I don't see a need for that, as it shouldn't take that long to acquire. I could just buy some regular Pixie, until then, if needed.
I now know, with the two latest posts, including this one, that the starter pack amp isn't attainable in-game, but others are. I doubt the one noob amp is that vital, right? I don't doubt it's usefulness, but if I don't expect to completely play free, it's sounding like there are other options that are about as good.

So, those things, coupled with things others have said, including Aio's initial reply to this thread, I highly doubt I'm going to purchase a starter pack at this point. Most likely, I'll just grab some ped and get going.

Like I said in my first post. The packs are far from necessary. I only recommended gold/platinum if you are dead set on a starter pack for whatever reason.

An eco amp isn't really a big deal when you're hunting punies... the lower level you hunt at the less your efficiency is going to have a noticeable impact. The gun is nothing special either. Nothing in those packs is special.

The pills are also not special. Because you can buy them + universal ammo via the reload pack. A much simpler and more effective purchase.

If I were you, I'd deposit as a combination of pure PEDs + reload pack.

And find a mentor.

Like I said in my first post. The packs are far from necessary. I only recommended gold/platinum if you are dead set on a starter pack for whatever reason.

An eco amp isn't really a big deal when you're hunting punies... the lower level you hunt at the less your efficiency is going to have a noticeable impact. The gun is nothing special either. Nothing in those packs is special.

The pills are also not special. Because you can buy them + universal ammo via the reload pack. A much simpler and more effective purchase.

If I were you, I'd deposit as a combination of pure PEDs + reload pack.

And find a mentor.

Indeed. Thank you for all your advice! :D

Skill boosters does NOT drop in game, ever. They "drop" only from boxes that you buy in the webshop. You can get small short time skill boost bonus in game. that last anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes. This skill boosts are gained from actual activity and is triggered randomly.

recent arkadia gold rush dropped +100% pills! and I doubt it was the first event that did...

So, if I deposit $50 or more in my first month, I will also outgrow the equips in the pack within that time? [....] I now know, with the two latest posts, including this one, that the starter pack amp isn't attainable in-game, but others are. I doubt the one noob amp is that vital, right?

There is an A101 amp (~180 ped atm) that makes the pack amp obsolete, but it implies a higher cycle rate on higher mobs than in the classic hk110+ZX sinkadus+punies scenario, not quite possible on low ($0-20) budget. But on a regular $50 it's a different game.

A possible scenario: tt rifle + A101 on things like small combibo-daikiba-etc (if you are on Calypso) with a tt pistol unamped as a finisher. You don't really need armor for that, so at this moment nothing from starters pack has any use for you already. Most likely you would surpass lvl 10 in a month and could switch to a gun like Xent X3 + A102, moving A101 to the finisher. You also would graduate or be very close to graduation from discipleship and getting the Adjusted Pixie/Musca (which usually occurs around 12-14 lvl if you stick to one profession, or even much earlier if you also stick to mobs whose missions reward with Anatomy), so you would be set armor-wise as well. But unless you get very lucky, by this moment it will be time for the next $50 :). Especially if you'd really like to move higher (X3+a102 combo is ~500 ped and more ammo-hungry).

As you can see, it's all about your pace.

Technically yes, in the last 2 golden rush events there were pills as rewards, but that not really worth mentioning, considering the needed amount of efforts. In the lowest and easiest category one needed to collect 100 points worth of the event tokens to get one 100%/1h pill (500 points & 100%/5h pills in higher categories) and tokens drop not from each mob, far from it, especially in the lowest category - from what I heard, you easily could end up grinding for 5 hours before you get first pill. I can tell you that after cycling 50k+ peds in 60 hours in one of higher categories I got 12 pills, so you hardly can call those events a source of pills. Just a nice little bonus while you work towards some greater goal.

Ah, nice! I shall abuse the weapon compare tool well :silly2:

Do you have any suggestions for really good noob melee weapons as well?

Well i'm using the S.I Psy Sword with a Trauma Amp 1 that gives a whopping 2.969 eco number :cool:
Damage/PEC: 8.34 / 2.809 = 2.969

Btw, i'm a UL nut when it comes to gears and stuff :laugh:
I only like UL stuff, no particular reason for it than i just hate to go for another auction look up to get yet another gear/weapon when the one i've just used has reached it's limit :mad:
With UL stuff i have a repair tool with me and bingo...gets the job done asap :D:yup:

Cheers

Back