The Future of the Future

Peezle

Prowler
Banned
Society
Meezle
Peezle Peez McPee
( Also posted on EF )

I'm making a wild guess here, but almost everyone who plays EU feels the current level and standard of marketing for the game is, well, lacking. We all want to see more players, because it would ensure the future of the game as well as making it a better experience, whether we are noobs or ubers.

A lot has been said about how much players contribute to this already. Indeed, many dig in their heels and refuse to do anything because MA isn't. Though they have a point, this is ultimately a suicidal approach. And for those who do stuff, it's obvious when you look at their work, that it isn't really joined up with what anyone else is doing.

Whatever is being done, it clearly isn't enough, for a ton of reasons.

My proposal is for players who genuinely want to see change, and are big enough to bury their hatchets; Now is the time to combine their collective talents and show themselves, other players, and MA - what is possible.

How this works is very simple:

#1 Organise efforts under a collective banner / group / website.

#2 Establish guidelines for participation: that is, people can do whatever the hell they want outside the group, but when displaying the group's banner / image on youtube ( or whatever ) they work within the guidelines. This maintains consistency in the image and is faithful to the democratic principles which should be at work.

#3 Discover what talents the participants have in relation to art, coding, legal insight, video design, marketing expertise,etc etc. We all have something to offer.

#4 Establish methods to determine how successful the group is in harvesting hits, views, responses, sign-ups to EU.

#5 Work and refine the whole, by tweaking #1 - #4 as it develops.

My thinking is that nobody need spend much time as a participant, but to augment their activities by contributing to the group as they feel the need.

There is no need for huge complexity here, but it would be far better to build a bigger net to collect the potential playbase, than to sit and see the game we all love lurch about like a drunk on the edge of a cliff. He might be ok, he might fall off, but why not do something truly 'dynamic' and effective?

Problems and pitfalls there would be, but, with the right amount of effort, I think it would be empowering for those who made the effort. This is not about lining MA's pocket, or personalities, or pointing the finger at anyone who is against it; it is about the game. Always the game.

Thoughts / suggestions.

i will help in any way i can.

Always wished there was a "street team" package or resources to help players promote EU to their family, friends and colleagues. I've brought in four players over the years and I have found it very difficult to do so only with my tales of EU's awesome-ness. Even if interest is piqued, EU is so large and complex, it's really not easy to sell it based on youtube, pcf or PC.com alone.

I'd love to go hang out in the EU section at a con or a EU gathering. Whatever it is... I'm in. :yup:

Even if interest is piqued, EU is so large and complex, it's really not easy to sell it based on youtube, pcf or PC.com alone.

There is where the group beats the isolated, because the complexity can easily be broken down into more managable aspects. Think of it as a prism. Somebody could post their video about mining let's say, and link to others, while also having access to an overview of mining within EU. With enough consistency in the way the group projects itself over the internet, people will begin to see one instance as part of the whole. It will take time, as all marketing strategies do, but in the end, it will work.

I remember the time when players couldn't honestly recommend eu to any real life friends or strangers. Mindark has worked hard to change that, and I realise that eu is now again becoming what it once was: A game worth playing.

So I'm all for any player incentive trying to promote the game.

Discussing this with Peezle over on EF.

I am willing to donate and pick work up again on my site www.entropianetwork.com with the group ideas in mind. The site is a blog site, and is perfectly suited to creating stories, hosting ads, and acting as a hub where the group could then direct attentions towards the various planets.

Its almost what I wanted to do with the site anyway. But maybe better in a way.

Well maybe people want kill me but

Why not spend little Area to promote Entropia Universe in SL?
( no personal but SL have more people , and people have money to spend)

Dont see yet Entropia Universe in steam(section free to play ) tell me why? midark

And others good place to ads
MMORPG? Massively?

Or MiniSite with fast features and cool new CE2 promotional Video
To send friends

Its done

The players of SL have a very different mentality to that of EU players... I know this because some time back it was organised that quite a few SL players (about 15) would be brought into Manticore society where they could be tutored in the various aspects of EU... For various reasons they have ALL disappeared, some didn't even last a week. :wise:

This feels so like 2005.

History repeating.

With only one exception...Im not the thread starter and I felt great in the Entropia of 2005.​

The players of SL have a very different mentality to that of EU players... I know this because some time back it was organised that quite a few SL players (about 15) would be brought into Manticore society where they could be tutored in the various aspects of EU... For various reasons they have ALL disappeared, some didn't even last a week. :wise:

Think it is the type of SL members that you braught over that mattered. How many of those approximately 15 from SL were people who actually did anything there other then just enjoy being there?

I was told about EU from someone in SL and I have been here since Nov of 2008. I ran a live music venue and managed a few clubs in SL so maybe target that type of people there instead. :yup:

I am willing to donate and pick work up again on my site www.entropianetwork.com with the group ideas in mind.

We need to start a new forum-directed campaign imo. A group here wouldn't be a bad start and future affiliation is always an option of course.

I want to see people who give a shit about the game and are willing to bring in their talents to making such a group do well, it means their own personal efforts would be more viewed / remarked upon because it is not diluted over the net.

What about a list of willing participants? I am striking out here, there is no set answer.

Had some good comments in PM so far, but we need your voice here tbh.;)

This feels so like 2005.

History repeating.

With only one exception...Im not the thread starter and I felt great in the Entropia of 2005.​

Sorry for the double post, but kind of missed you McCormick first time round - kind of cynic blindness I guess.

Shame you still live in 2005, because I made the mistake of seeing many of your posts and found them full of humour and hope.

I would love to think you could turn some of your talent to a new generation of players and gamers who would benefit from what good you have to offer- if only you could let go of the past, and the bitterness.

We are not dumb, just active.

We need to start a new forum-directed campaign imo. A group here wouldn't be a bad start and future affiliation is always an option of course.

I want to see people who give a shit about the game and are willing to bring in their talents to making such a group do well, it means their own personal efforts would be more viewed / remarked upon because it is not diluted over the net.

What about a list of willing participants? I am striking out here, there is no set answer.

Had some good comments in PM so far, but we need your voice here tbh.;)

You have it. Here I'm preaching to the choir, but its a place to drum up support.

Send me a line. If you're serious about this lets try to develop some sort of alliance with the EU staff and forum admins, starting with a private forum to discuss these sorts of ideas. I'll work on updating the them for EN site sometime this week to try to be more accommodating. From the EN site we can direct players to individual worlds, their related forums, their economies... pretty much as deep as we want to go, and even give them a rating system like YELP where users can comment on the worlds. Yes I can do something like this. Its just a matter of interest and development resources.

Might be useful to start thinking of things in this way.

I'm another SL denizen lured by the siren song of Entropia Universe. ;) I'm in a few sci-fi roleplay sims, and I participate in organized PvP from time to time. Nobody pointed my attention towards EU, but I was looking for a good, "free" alternative to EVE Online when I first heard of EU... oh, how wrong I was :laugh: Still, I'm pretty glad I decided to stay. Been talking my friends there about it, as some seem to have the right mindset, and more importantly, the kind of disposable income or time it'd take to do well here. Let's see how it goes.

Second Life was my virtual home before I found Entropia Universe. I would be happy to make a group and work with Entropians in SL to promote EU. PM if you are interested.

2 little 2 late......Star Wars Is getting out in 2 month that will be the last nail in the Eu Coffin...

2 little 2 late......Star Wars Is getting out in 2 month that will be the last nail in the Eu Coffin...

No, it wont. Lot's of people have read about that Star Wars game or watched videos. I've been to E3 and seen it in action. It's alot of flash, but ultimately my impressions were that the game itself was very limited, and it left the same taste in my mouth that the World of Warcraft Free Trial did for me in 2004. I uninstalled that game after only an hour of playing it.

About all SW:TOR offers that is unique has to do with its quest system. The voiceover acting adds alot of flavor to the game, and the ability to choose your path in a quest and have multiple possible outcomes is refreshing. But who's to say the EU developers arent working on that. We already have branching quests. Adding Voice-overs is an expense only, it doesnt take a coding genius to add such things into the current engine.

I will not be playing SW:TOR. It holds zero appeal for me. There are alot of people in the MMORPG community that feel the same way I do.

If I had a PED for every time I heard that about a game I'd be at a profit without having to sell my skills or gear :rolleyes: and yet... we are STILL HERE.

Adding Voice-overs is an expense only, it doesnt take a coding genius to add such things into the current engine.

Unless you ask the players to help you with it and give them a small "Voice Actor Edition" item as thanks ;)

Last edited:
Ok you interested players, join the group so we can begin to discuss the issues at hand.

Forget about the idea that your efforts would be diminished within a group, because they would be amplified, since lots of other people will divert to your work.

Think collective. Let the 'individuals' do their thing, and fail.

ancient idea... Marco mentioned it a long time ago, but never really did it...

ancient idea...

Irrespective of the context, why do hardcore posters find it so easy to dismiss stuff and so very hard to adopt new ways of thinking, new ideas, new approachs?

Simple, because being a cynic is far easier than being a skeptic ( ie a doer ).

I hope this changes.

Irrespective of the context, why do hardcore posters find it so easy to dismiss stuff and so very hard to adopt new ways of thinking, new ideas, new approachs?

Simple, because being a cynic is far easier than being a skeptic ( ie a doer ).

I hope this changes.

Simple. They think that since they failed nobody else can succeed. It never occurs to them that they might not have had the necessary talent to do the job.

Not saying we do. That remains to be determined. Their dismissal is very telling about their mindsets, though. It's not impressive. No wonder they failed.

"Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other." -- Abraham Lincoln.

Seems there's a lack of resolution to succeed. A setback is taken as a reason to quit, instead of a reason to become better.

I originally wanted to play PE, but my PC couldn't handle it back then, so I moved to SL where I was quite succesfull in what I did. Then I got a new pc, and moved back here. The main difference between SL and this place: scarcity. Land is limitless out there, which basically undermines every economic basis.

That said: bringing SL-ers into EU is not an impossible feat. But you'd have to pick those who are big spenders over there. Out there, showing off a car is cool. Out here, it's cooler ;)

Out there, showing off a car is cool. Out here, it's cooler ;)

You have a way with promotional phrases :yup:

The group has started to discuss a battle plan, so any group members are invited to have their say, and non-members are invited to add their voice there or here. We want a million real players right? they are out there.

Back