Thinking about getting a new armor

Magix

Alpha
Having recently sold my jaguar, and seeing the dropoff when going back to gremlin, I am thinking about getting a new set of armor.

My experience with Jag revealed a few key points:
1. Durability is not an advantage. My repair costs, with a few key exceptions, were about the same as when I used ghost and about double grem. Interestingly, the monsters where decay was equal or cheaper were the ones with mostly acid attack, although thanks to plates survivability was better.
2. The +7 impact vs gremlin was the biggest improvement, but it ended up being only a small difference. At best, I could do maybe 1-2 maturities higher than I used to with grem +5b's.
3. The biggest advantage of jag, imho, was the burn/penetration. During the robot war, this turned out to be a real advantage, and I didn't need to switch armors/plates when facing mixed groups of low drones+something else.
4. Cost: for what advantages jag could do, the cost/benefit ratio vs grem was really, really low. Although jag cost 10X as much as grem, I got maybe a 20% improvement on defense but a doubling of decay cost.

So, what I'm looking for in my next armor:
1. More impact, maybe 25 or higher.
2. A little bit in close or elemental damage, maybe enough to handle the lowest maturities without changing plates, maybe +20 or so.
3. Something relatively cheap for the UL version, maybe +3k.

Thanks for replies.

My experience with Jag revealed a few key points:
1. Durability is not an advantage. My repair costs, with a few key exceptions, were about the same as when I used ghost and about double grem. Interestingly, the monsters where decay was equal or cheaper were the ones with mostly acid attack, although thanks to plates survivability was better.
2. The +7 impact vs gremlin was the biggest improvement, but it ended up being only a small difference. At best, I could do maybe 1-2 maturities higher than I used to with grem +5b's.
3. The biggest advantage of jag, imho, was the burn/penetration. During the robot war, this turned out to be a real advantage, and I didn't need to switch armors/plates when facing mixed groups of low drones+something else.
4. Cost: for what advantages jag could do, the cost/benefit ratio vs grem was really, really low. Although jag cost 10X as much as grem, I got maybe a 20% improvement on defense but a doubling of decay cost.

So, what I'm looking for in my next armor:
1. More impact, maybe 25 or higher.
2. A little bit in close or elemental damage, maybe enough to handle the lowest maturities without changing plates, maybe +20 or so.
3. Something relatively cheap for the UL version, maybe +3k.

Thanks for replies.

Did you try an L martial harness to go with your gremlin?
Full UL martial would be better but i guess the price on that is too much (price of martial anyone?).
Again things will depend on how you hunt (1 mob at the time or ...), what skills you got (especially evade), how fast the mobs drop ...?

I think Phantom would suit your needs well.

Maybe also a step down from that would be a set of Boar.

Maybe a stretch up from Jag would be try and piece together Lion or Tiger.

I think Phantom would suit your needs well.

Maybe also a step down from that would be a set of Boar.

Maybe a stretch up from Jag would be try and piece together Lion or Tiger.

Well he did mention the advantage of being all round protected (bots+ mobs). Phantom only has 2 penetration, it's adjusted ghost. It does have 18 burn though, so for drones it should be doable with occasional fap. And then there is the massive 25 impact phantom has. Which is 3 more than Jag and 10 more than grem.

just checked armour advisor.. phantom+6a gets 21.6 dmg from a drone 09 and 3 pecs decay vs jaguar+6a 15.6 dmg and 4 pecs decay. That's very doable.

Last edited:
Is Jarhead (C) unlimited?

Also, what are the cheapest parts of angel? I got shins already.

Oh yeah, when i did use 6a's with jag, they were great all around bot armor too.

Ghoul also looks like a great fit.

Last edited:
Well for full angel, you're looking at 20K to 25K PED for a full set.

You can get phantom for 3K, though it is missing penetration. Not going to be that much of a problem though.

Is Jarhead (C) unlimited?

Also, what are the cheapest parts of angel? I got shins already.

Certain parts of Angel sell for 3k peds or more. They also have no Acid or Electric defense.

Ghoul.

Trust me you'll never look back :).

Best all-round armour for under 10k IMO. It's not great if you're grinding bots, but has enough protection to survive the odd ninja spawn.

In Ghoul + plates with 120 hp's and 2600 I have hunted solo:

Trox/trax up to prowler.
Allo/Esto up to stalker.
Hogglo up to old.
Eviscerator up to gen 6
Aurli/Kreltin up to Soldier/Provider
Rextelum up to Soldier
Leviathan up to Alpha

The close protection is good enough for any mid-level c/s/i mob solo, and you'll hold your own in team on pretty much anything. The cold and electric covers any of those mobs except for big Thorifoid and Chomper (with a little more hp's Chomper young are do-able).

Only weak points really are mid-big bots and acid only mobs.

Plus, it has the added bonus of rarity and the disguise factor. Watch the newbs go goggle-eyed when they think you are tanking Hogglos in Gnome :D.

You're right on the durability comment. It's not really worth considering it as a factor on UL armours, it does have more effect on L armours though.

If you're going to buy one all-purpose set I think you need to decide what your priority is. It's hard to find something in that price range that is good for bots, good for ICS, and nicely rounded with some Cold/Elec/Acid. You could probably do best with the standard Ghost/Grem/Vigi combo.

For one decent all-round armour, I'd suggest Bear, well within your price range. It's not amazing at anything, but it's a nice all-purpose one. I've been using that for quite a while now, it's nice to be able to hop from Hogglos to Warriors with just a quick plate change. My main grumble with it is it's low acid protection, and to a lesser extent the lack of electric. Ghoul, Phantom are both interesting alternatives particularly if Imp/Stab/Cut is your priority. eMine is another excellent option if you can find a set and don't mind the ugliness of it. CRA is also a wonderful all-round armour, I'd love a set of that.

I'd like to see the new planets introducing some affordable specialized armours. A nice Impact/Acid armour would be great. Chelydra that actually drops would be great. A bot armour with say 20 Pen/20 Burn and a bit of Imp/Stab/Cut would be great. And there's quite a big gap between the mid-level stuff like Bear-Jag and the top-range stuff like PoE. Mid-level hunters could do with some affordable options in between.

If your going on big hunting trips once or twice a week i would consider hiring a fapper instead of droping down the ped on armor your not going to use very often.

Back