Unban Romania

frisca2004

Stalker
Society
DIABOLIQ
Beck The Tiger Johnson
I would like account creation in Romania to be allowed again, because we are not a nation of scammers, just because there have been some cases of scamming which involved players in our country doesn't mean we're all like that. Heck, some of us are actually nice to other people.

frisca2004 said:
I would like account creation in Romania to be allowed again, because we are not a nation of scammers, just because there have been some cases of scamming which involved players in our country doesn't mean we're all like that. Heck, some of us are actually nice to other people.

I don't believe it cause it was "some" cases of scamming. Doesn't mean I don't think its unfair towards the others though. I wish ya luck with your case.

Sorry to be an idiot Frisca... but honestly... you think M.A. gives a damn? If you dont enrich theyre pockets forget it... :(

If enough people send support cases they will hopefully one day unban the Romanians... I don't think its very fair that MA did that, but they do what they wish...

This was one of the most stupid moves I ever saw from a game company (and I've seen a lot in the last 15 years :D).

Hell, it's a 2 minute work to redirect all connections over a different country and MA has no chance to find out (yes, they are not the NSA and even them would have difficulties :D). All scammers know how to do this (this is their "business"!), so it's absolutely stupid to think this helps.

For What It's Worth...

...one of my closest friends here in Texas is Romanian. He's even teaching me a few sentences in the language. I was excited when I saw the title of this thread, not realizing it was in the WishList. All I can say is, I hope they take the time to find an equitable solution to this problem so that our friends that live in Romania can rejoin us.

Sincerely,
Donald

MA has banned a country?!

That's just stupid, and nearly racism in my opinion.

Donald said:
I was excited when I saw the title of this thread, not realizing it was in the WishList.

Same here. :(

MA have access to a nice list of people who have been reported. Often with screenshot proof, often reported by multiple respected users.

Locking all those accounts would be a good start. Locking a country based on some names is a lazy and simplistic solution.

We don't even know if all those Romanian names actually belong to the same person.

1st. Lock the avatars on the list and investigate them, their origins etc.
2nd. Make a webform that works with your account databse so people can't actually register multiple accounts.
3rd. Get pro-active on scammers. Offer rewards for people sucessfully reporting scammers that are backed up with proof (screenshots and chat texts).
4th. In world reporting system for scams, harassments etc and at least one official avatar online 24/7

I understand why you suggest these solutions... but 3 of them would help, sorry.

1st. Lock the avatars on the list and investigate them, their origins etc.
Would work. I personally believe only very few scammers are reported though and you can't lock an avatar if you get only 10 complains: a soc (or especially PILOTS!) could easily lock an unwanted avatar, as it's easy to get 20-30 firends to complain about an avatar.

2nd. Make a webform that works with your account databse so people can't actually register multiple accounts.
So you enter false data, what most people do anyway, WOuld not help anything.

3rd. Get pro-active on scammers. Offer rewards for people sucessfully reporting scammers that are backed up with proof (screenshots and chat texts).
I can photoshop the names in a few minutes, chat logs are even easier to fake (one find+replace does all). This is never a proof.

4th. In world reporting system for scams, harassments etc and at least one official avatar online 24/7
Best idea but would not work EVER. Why? Because ppl are already spamming the support with stupid things like "uuuuuh, I spent 100 PEDs and got only 20 PEDs loot, this is a bug". They would yell for support everytime they think they spent 50 PECs too much when trading.

Sorry to say, but in EU are way too many stupid players that would block MA from doing a good job like this.

Solution:
Everyone who starts the game the first time and the 5th time (as a reminder) has to go through a tutorial. Where it shows how to trade. Where it tells what TT items are. etc. Where it shows examples of scams and how to avoid (no, noone can color armor!).

Why they don't do it?
Because all new players would get scared before even playing one second. And it also would give a lot ideas to ppl about scamming, so you would grow a whole new generation of scammers.

Unfortunately MA can#t do anything in advance, they can only react. But the reaction should not be so stupid and so slow as it is now :D.

Smoerble said:
So you enter false data, what most people do anyway, WOuld not help anything.
AFAIK MA log hardware info from peoples computers. The idea is that they dont even get access from their own machine to the form.
Of course they can use another computer, but its an added deterrent for them.

Smoerble said:
I can photoshop the names in a few minutes, chat logs are even easier to fake (one find+replace does all). This is never a proof.

yes, and MA can compare what you submit against their own logs to see if you are lying or sending fake screenshots. So its actually a good way of giving them "bookmarks" of their own logs to investigate.

Smoerble said:
Best idea but would not work EVER. Why? Because ppl are already spamming the support with stupid things like "uuuuuh, I spent 100 PEDs and got only 20 PEDs loot, this is a bug". They would yell for support everytime they think they spent 50 PECs too much when trading.

A system that allows someone to sit and look at incoming alerts would allow them to visually see what is crap and what is genuine.

Smoerble said:
Solution:
Everyone who starts the game the first time and the 5th time (as a reminder) has to go through a tutorial. Where it shows how to trade. Where it tells what TT items are. etc. Where it shows examples of scams and how to avoid (no, noone can color armor!).

Forced tutorials wouldn't help anyone - being scammed by a long time friend etc. People will just get pissed off because its annoying

I renamed the thread title to avoid confusion.

There are some people mentioning procecuting or finding out who these people are instead of banning the country.

As I thought about the same things as your did but didnt mention it because of the following, which made me kinda think. And I want to explain why I can understand the decision, which doesnt mean i agree with it btw.

Look at this from a buisness aspect. Who is gonna pay for all this? MA could pay loads in lawyer costs to "get" this person in another country. Or, as the situation went bad, choose for an cheaper solution and block. In the end, its the depositers, the most valuable players imo, that are paying for that. I think they already spent alot fighting MS.

If you were a buisness, needing to spend loads on prosecuting, that is basically funded by your honest paying members, would you:
1. Just decided to procecute, making other players even unhappier with their even worse loots.
2. Decided to ban the country/region where for some reason most ip's of scammers and hackers come from?

In the case of 1:
This is probably not 1, 2 or 10 people. Also, what proof does MA have? Some textfile's with logs? As most nerds know, it can ALL be faked. Although the legal rights of digital document seems to be increasing during the years.

In the case of 2:
Don't lose cash. Partly solves the problem, but that letting MA think your from somewhere else shouldnt be to hard, as some said. Possibily (not trying to judge), but romania was only a very small portion of MA's income, so indeed, in their eyes, less important.

I dunno, and I dont want to sound crude, but if it was my job to decide, it would be a simple decision of case 2. Nothing personal. But thats how buisness works when it comes to it.

they don't need to prosecute - just ban.

wanda said:
just ban.

How? :confused: A few dialup accounts over europe ( and those arent hard to get, I used to have several for countries while I was still traveling for my job), and they have loads of IP's to use.

Squee said:
How? :confused: A few dialup accounts over europe ( and those arent hard to get, I used to have several for countries while I was still traveling for my job), and they have loads of IP's to use.

read it again - they collect hardware info and ban at machine level.

wanda said:
read it again - they collect hardware info and ban at machine level.

How does that stop the them?

And if banning worked, why did they ban a whole country. Only shows me that the other options failed.

Back