Warning new PSP practices not clearly communicated

Heap

Old Alpha
Society
Hunters Unlimited
Yem Heap Pyite
This warning has to do with how MA's new PSP is now handling deposits and what that means to us.

As of last week I found that I was unable to deposit and couldn't figure out why… I checked my CC to make sure I had available funds which I did so I submitted a support case to MA. The response was the standard, "Not our problem." :\

After further investigation I found this problem to be a result of the new PSP and their method of processing deposits. It seems as of the end of the first week in Jan 2006, deposits I've made into PE all show up on my CC statement as "Cash Advance" instead of standard purchases as with the old PSP.

Why is this a problem? Well cash advances fall under a higher APR in most cases. In my experience, cash advances are treated different than standard purchases in that they have a separate limit. For instance, you may a CC that has a 5K USD limit but the cash advance allowance may only be 500 USD max. After that cash advanced limit is reached you are no longer able to make further deposits until the cash advance balance is paid down.

Paying down the cash advance section of your CC can be a problem as well. My CC company tells when monthly payments are made it's applied to the standard purchases section of your account. This is the case until you carry zero balance in standard purchases, after this point the cash advance is paid down. If you want to pay down only the cash advance section you'll have to contact your CC company and get a separate billing address to send a special check which is above and beyond your standard payment.

FYI, I have a standard credit card from one of the biggest companies in the USA. I can't say everyone is going to have this same issue but I would suggest you all have a close look at your next statement to make sure you are aware of the new PSP's billing practices.

And to MA, thanks for communicating the specifics of this change to the player base! This is yet another brilliant example of zero information exchange concerning a significant difference in how PE operates. :(

UPDATE: PE support has responded to my ticket and recognized this as a problem. They basically classified this as an error (bug) with the new PSP and stated they would investigate further.

Last edited:
Allready took my cc information away from my account, wont do any deposits untill MA does something to this problem.

I have also removed and am no longer able to deposit because of this.

Thanks a Fcuking lot MA.

Heap said:
And to MA, thanks for communicating the specifics of this change to the player base! This is yet another brilliant example of zero information exchange concerning a significant difference in how PE operates. :(

Agreed!!

Well, i guess MA will know why suddenly they have less depositers ;)

did MA post any 'official' notice of this change?

if not, it is another example of MA failing to communicate with the player base.

I noticed another thing when I made my most recent deposit - I no longer need to type in the last 3 numbers on the back side of my Visa card (can't remember right now what it's called) to make a deposit.

This means that anyone with access to my login details only can also make a deposit, give it to his/her own avatar ingame and then withdraw it.

And no, I'd never give out the login details for an avatar with a registered credit card but, as can be seen from certain threads here at EF, there are ways to gain knowledge of login details without the player afflicted being aware of it until it's too late.

Previously, this "only" resulted in the player being robbed of ingame items and ingame PED - now they'll be able to rob you of all your RL money as well.

I see this as a severe breach of security and I've sent a support case to MA. If they don't change that, then there will be no more deposits from me. Possibly no more gaming either unless the loots get better...

I urge everyone who isn't happy with the changes to sent in support cases to MA - maybe, if they receive many enough, they'll change it back.

yes the CVV number, I raised a support call about it MA said they'd look into it.

Well I have an suggestion for you guys.

I have had no problem using an special debit card for PE deposits.

So maybe you need to go to an local bank and get an free checking account with visa or master card atm card.

This way there is no fee's or interest to play PE.

Well I for one don’t believe pe should be done on an credit card, and I for one would not tolerate cash advance charges for playing PE.

I just tried depositing via CC, and I had to enter my CCV code. So everything is fine for me :)

the first time you deposit using a credit card under the new method you will yes...try again and you wont :mad:

let me correct myself....after checking this uout again I indead do have to enter the cvv. I havnt however tried from ingame. maybe this is what you guys mean?

I use a bank debit card and have a seperate bank account for PE. I only deposit the amount I am going to put into PE for the month. So if someone does some how get my account info I will not loose much. I have no problems making a deposit into PE this way.

FlameDancer said:
I noticed another thing when I made my most recent deposit - I no longer need to type in the last 3 numbers on the back side of my Visa card (can't remember right now what it's called) to make a deposit.

This means that anyone with access to my login details only can also make a deposit, give it to his/her own avatar ingame and then withdraw it.

And no, I'd never give out the login details for an avatar with a registered credit card but, as can be seen from certain threads here at EF, there are ways to gain knowledge of login details without the player afflicted being aware of it until it's too late.

Previously, this "only" resulted in the player being robbed of ingame items and ingame PED - now they'll be able to rob you of all your RL money as well.

I see this as a severe breach of security and I've sent a support case to MA. If they don't change that, then there will be no more deposits from me. Possibly no more gaming either unless the loots get better...

I urge everyone who isn't happy with the changes to sent in support cases to MA - maybe, if they receive many enough, they'll change it back.

Well, I did send in a support case, and got this reply:

MindArk Support said:
Yes, we are aware about our participators concern with respect to the "new" procedures etc. when depositing.

The thing is that our new PSP (Dibs) are working on to implement changes that has been demanded by VISA, Mastercard and others. During a period of transistion it might be confusing that the deposit procedure seems to have a lower level of security than before.

With the new PSP, CVV is only needed with your first deposit with them (i.e. when your card has been registered/approved for transactions between MindArk and the PSP). The issue with CVV should also be related to if your Card is connected to Verified By VISA/3d secure systems or not.

All routines with respect to this are not yet fully implemented and we are currently working on to have this working OK with the highest level of security that would be possible.

Our advice would be that you should connect your card(s) to Verified by VISA or Mastercard securecode (named 3d secure) Otherwise you may always ask us to permanently remove the authorization between your CC and Dibs, which would demand for that you always have to state the CVV when depositing.

Never having heard of Verified by Visa, I googled for it and found this site.
Visa Europe

And guess what? Sweden (I'm Swedish, and so is MindArk) isn't even on the list of available countries!

I guess this means I'll have to go for the second option then - to "permanently remove the authorization"...

Back