What PC Protection Software Do You Recommend?

Yirrk

Stalker
Society
Jurai Blood Academy
Yirrkala "Yirrk" Wombarra
Hey I just got my PC back from the shop. Apparently I had a virus causing nonstop crashing.

They gave me a Webroot SpySweeper with AntiVirus trial. I had McAffee but it may have lapsed.

My question to you all is simply: What do you recommend for the best protection possible? Meaning AntiSpy, AntiVirus and Firewall protection.

Thanks in advance to all yooz yoots that respond! :cool:

Hi, I recommend: firewall enabled router (hardware), avast home antivir (register at their site and then the autoupdate will work for the next 14months) and s&d spybot1.4 (manual updating needed). As far as the software firewall, I use windows integrated..lol therefore dunno If its appropriate to recommend it.

But mainly the important thing is, surf safe, know what you are clicking on and do the regular maintanance checks and updates. I think every antivirus will eventually be crippled and disabled when the user clicks and allows certain evil code to be activated or w/e...

Good luck,
Robo

Webroot's spysweeper is actually one of my favorite anti-malware programs. The newer versions actually have rootkit finders.

As far as Anti-viruses, I would definitely recommend Avast as far as free ones are concerned. If you're going to pay for one, get Trend-Micro's PC-Cillin. It's got good detection ratings and is actually fairly easy on the sytem resources.

I don't use software firewalls. Hardware firewalls are the way to go.

I use hardware firewall which so far is much more conmfortable than any software solution.

You should also always have an antivirus on and updated. I have been using Kaspersky AVP, which is known as a great antivirus, for years. It's not free, you have to renew your license every year, but it's worth it.

Router/hardware firewall
ZoneAlarm s/ware firewall
AVG antivirus
AdAware anti-malware

are the freebies I use. SpyBot is probably slightly better than AdAware from what I hear, but I find AdAware easier to use.

The router probably being the most useful piece of kit as far as keeping nasties out goes - as well as its design function of allowing more than 1 person into EU simultaneously :)

Back