When using amps is the Decay Cost 1:1 with the loot increase?

AckerZ

Old Alpha
Society
Dirty Dingos
Anonymous AckerZ Anonymous
I might be misunderstanding how the looting algorithm works but when you add an amplifier to you your finder and it adds an extra 1ped decay does that decay get transformed into mining loot 1:1?

For example your loot unamped would be 2ped but with your amp on it goes up to 3ped.

All you have done is turned the ped value in the amp into the ped value in the loot?

Obviously it gets complicated by the fact there are multipliers at play that can give massive boosts to the overall value but hypothetically is the base idea that you are simply transferring ped value from the amplifier into mining loot?

As far as my understanding goes, the accepted is that amp decay adds to drop so multiplier gets applied to amp-decay+drop cost.

(Have played fair number of years on and off :) )

Remember that unlike hunting (nowadays anyways) your hit rate is not 100% when it comes to mining. Instead, average hit rates are around 28-32%. If you just ballpark that as 33%, that means when ore mining unamped, you are putting in ~3 ped to get a single claim, and that's where claim size (those that aren't "multipliers" or gobals) roughly ballparks around for ore (often closer to 2.7).

So it's not 1:1 per se, but if you increase decay from 1 ped to 2 ped, claim size would also roughly double.

Last edited:
(Too) short answer, from my personal perspective:

If you put 1 PED into the ground and are supposed to get 100% in resources back, you get 1 PED of TT value back. If you put 2 PED into the ground, being amped, you get 2 PED back. Basically.

However, that′s purely theoretical, b/c when you′re slappin′ on an amp the l00t behaviour might change, even drastically. Therefore, you can′t really compare. :dunno:

And plz, when using an amp as a newer player, check the requirements of the amp used. This is commonly overl00ked, and ppl complain over bad returns afterwards. E.g. to use a lvl 13 amp for ore properly, you need to have reached lvl 20 Prospector. :wise:

Yes, but no by multiplying directly. That is, a find of 4 peds doesn't automatically become 8 peds if you double the investment. What happens is that your average find is upped to the average find of respective drop and then that type of find (say, "medium") averages somewhere. There is (or used to be) a visible divergence starting at around d-class or so between how much you'd get into your average claim and how dependent you'd be on a medium-big "multiplier". Say, 2-3 years ago. I don't know how exactly it goes now, but I'd be fairly surprised if it's not anymore claim classes based.

So to get something useful out of this, if unamped you'd be using say 2k ped bankroll, for each level of amplification you need to increase with a small factor the proportion. Say 1 ped -2k, 1,5 ped - 3,1k, 2 ped - 4,4k etc etc

Back