Who will be the police?

Essi said:
Bounty hunting is a bit like reputation system. Most implementations I can think about would have very obvious exploits. (Make one avatar to harrass everyone, then second to kill it and get bounty money.)
:eek:

wow. your right. or just have your soc mate kill you and collect the bounty.

will be interesting to see the implementation.

on police....would be pretty hard to enforce since the only punishment they could extoll would be killing and then the offending avatar would just revive.

Svetlana said:
... there are so many gamers out there it seems that only play for pvp. And accordingly I think MA is just looking to provide them with an adequate domain on Calypso ;) Perhaps i'm wrong..

I wonder if they are a very large majority or a very small minority though. If I feel the need to do that I'll play UT2004 where I have an equal chance with identical weapons.

wanda said:
I wonder if they are a very large majority or a very small minority though. If I feel the need to do that I'll play UT2004 where I have an equal chance with identical weapons.

I think many pkers in PE actually just love the fact that they are better equipped than average opponent and thus are very able to kill tens of ppl in row.

I think those who play to pk are still quite minority because I would think they would choose some other - much more pvp oriented - game instead.

Essi said:
I think those who play to pk are still quite minority because I would think they would choose some other - much more pvp oriented - game instead.

You'd think... but in every MMORPG I've ever played, there is a small but loud contingent on the forums either pushing to add PvP to games without it, or expand PvP in games that have it. Believe it or not, even The Sims Online had a handful of them.

Having PvP zones is terrific. Dangling bait to lure non-PvP players into PvP zones for the sole purpose of providing PKs with a target-rich environment is not.

If (as a designer) your PvP zone is underpopulated, the problem lies in your design. Unless the PvP system is accessible and fun for rank newbies as well as the elite, participation will dwindle until only the hardcore are left. At that point, a single large arena will serve you better than a continent or four. Adding bait to your underpopulated area under the "risk vs. reward" banner is just going to alienate the majority of your player base as you are punish them for their playstyle preference.

Bait is easy. Designing a PvP system that will attract and keep new recruits because it's so much fun... now THAT's a challenge.

well put winterhawk.

I wonder if MA will do something when people try to disrupt the next land grab as has been suggested on another forum and by a few people in game.
If revival killing is okay, will it still be okay if 40 noobs with plasmas hang around trying to kill landgrabbers?

If MA don't do anything now, but chose to do something when those 'at the top of the food chain' complain then they will dig themselves into a vary large elitist hole.

Time will tell I guess

wanda said:
well put winterhawk.

I wonder if MA will do something when people try to disrupt the next land grab as has been suggested on another forum and by a few people in game.
If revival killing is okay, will it still be okay if 40 noobs with plasmas hang around trying to kill landgrabbers?

If MA don't do anything now, but chose to do something when those 'at the top of the food chain' complain then they will dig themselves into a vary large elitist hole.

Time will tell I guess

They have the skill requirements. Also, I think large armies, whether they are lower equiped or not would be welcomed. Something has to make LG exciting!

DD
:evilking:

In my whole carrier I was killed only one time on Amethera. PVP is PVP everybody knows that and I agree that it is very annoying to be killed on a TP or near the appartments.

I think MA has a plan with Amethera. The continent will develope more and more and I am sure that some day the PVP zones will be reduced. Unfortunately we will live with this situation until this happens.

wanda said:
I wonder if they are a very large majority or a very small
The number of people that want pure PvP are always outnumbered by those that don't.
It's just those who want it tend to make a lot of noise because the PvP side is underdeveloped.

Look at the population on pure PvP servers vs. restricted PvP servers that most MMOG's have and you'll see the difference.

- Deathifier

Deathifer. As I understand it, you are the owner of Treasure Island. And isnt it all pvp? I was just curious, how were you able to stop people on your island from killing others. Are you able to ban them or something? This is all a little new to me. I tried to get to appartments, but was never killed by people, just critters and some next gen robots or something.

And are there apartments on your island? If so, do you get/set the monthly apartment rental rate?

Thanks
Azrael

Azrael said:
Deathifer. As I understand it, you are the owner of Treasure Island. And isnt it all pvp?
It is PvP until such time as my campaign to get it deactivated succeeds.

Azrael said:
I was just curious, how were you able to stop people on your island from killing others.
Other then turning up randomly or when I get informed of a problem, not much. There's no method of permanently forcing people away yet.

Azrael said:
I tried to get to appartments, but was never killed by people, just critters and some next gen robots or something.
Issues with PvP center mainly around the teleport and revival terminal, there are rarely any issues out in the hunting grounds (though that is likely to change next VU).

Azrael said:
And are there apartments on your island? If so, do you get/set the monthly apartment rental rate?
Treasure Island City is half-in, half-out of the islands ownership zone.
No I don't get any rental or sales income from it.

Bye,
Deathifier

i am both for and against pvp. if there is any way to get the lame pkers that goes to amathera just to pk i would be glad if that could stoped.

as it now is you all know we got eudria and amathera. Eudria is still the "home continent" with its normal non-pvp that we always had. amathera is special, something new we dont normally go to. and theres pvp. i think most people that thinks: today i want to pk. goes to amathera instead of the pvp zones on eudria these days, and they do that because it goes alot faster. i really want to be able to have pvp in the cities, the ability to gun down idiots calling you alot of things should be there. but as it now is with most of the cities are non-pvp and a very few pvp cities all the pkers gathers at the same spot, and they go there with one thing in mind: pvp.

what im trying to say is that if whole eudria would be made into one pvp zone (maybe except port atlantis) these things would stop, because pvp would be a normal day to day thing. just my two pecs.

and ofcourse i want a "safe time" after revival, like ten seconds or something.... any thoughts?

Everman said:
how will order be enforced? Who will be the police in this new untamed land and why should anyone bother?
unfortunately. its likely that it would be the police who would exploit the system...and that the only ones who could be bothered to do "police work" (stand around for hours in order to kill tons of people) would be the ones who wouuld be doing it anyway, in tp or revival pvp...
theres some really wierd irony about that... :D
Winterhawk said:
Mindark is reliving the mistakes made by Ultima Online and many other MMORPG titles. Instead of rethinking and redesigning an underutilized PvP area/server, they are just putting "bait" in the area, hoping to lure in enough targets to justify the time and expense of developing the PvP zone.
A common delusion among certain segments of the developer community is that, given sufficient provocation and massive bloodshed in an open PvP situation, the players will band together and police themselves. This has never worked. If the situation is dire enough to drive players to volunteer for policing, it is already so bad that your zone (or entire game) has already lost everybody who's not a hardcore PvPer.
End result? Generally a few months or years pass before the devs admit that there's too much designated PvP area, followed by a downsizing of the area or concantation of servers (DAoC), changing the ruleset (UO's Siege Perilous), or continuing refusal to admit that the designers messed up at all, with escalating (but ultimately ineffective) "bait" (UO's Felucca).
is this simply MA trying to target people from other, more pvp-based games? they are, of course, much more likely to become the never-ending checkbook that designers love... and of course, we will move down the priority-ranking list. lets hope that, although their idea of long-term may be years, players' ideas of long-term are more often then not far less...
2005-03-23 MindArk Support:
Since this area is a Player Vs Player killing area, this is allowed, there is nothing we can do or will do to prevent such actions. Try gather some friends or maybe start peace negotiations.
/Regards
all the more credence to what winterhawk said!! my my, this is very interesting... it will also be quite interesting to watch unravel...

there are, of course, some huge monetary benefits to this residential pvp situation... id love to throw them out here, but im making quite a bit of money off it atm, and itd be stupid to infringe on my own franchise (LOL)... but i figure i cant be the only one... :D

Back