Question: Why do we need to redownload EU over and over again.. ?

BestGamerEver

Dominant
Society
1.Ro
First 1ch3ls Lady
Why do we need to redownload EU over and over again each time we reinstall OS?
Me for example, i have EU installed on different partition than my OS is, yet i had to change OS 2 times this month (wont go into details why...) and now i`m downloading the game for 3rd time in one month...
The game is still in that partition...i start it from there...as soon as it starts `downloading required content` (240 MB or so) occurs...and soon after ..SURPRISE !!! downloading Calypso...6.4GB :yay: and so on...
Imagine all the fun i have doing that on an 8Mb/s conexion...

EU keeps all content in c:\Users\Public\entropia universe\ by default, apparently the folder is removed with each Windows reinstall. Try to change the path for content in the Client Loader settings.

Just a thought, haven't reinstalled anything since 2009 when switched to Win7 :)

And then there is the registry content at hkey_Current_user\software\mindark\entropia universe

You might need to export that before a re-image and reimport it afterwards.

Both seems right...yet not fair...

Damn reality keeps getting in the way. Whats with that?

Making a backup copy of the EU files before formatting is too hard I guess.

Well you could backup all the files and on the fresh install of windows do a partial install of EU to get the basic folder structure. Then paste the old files over the top.

I've had to do a similar thing with Steam as it's restore system didn't work when I built my current machine.

Last edited:
Or maybe smart MA programmers could prevent that?
Preety shure aint that hard...
Not everyone knows that much about computers...

One of the many things we've asked for over the years is a backup system for just such an occasion.

Not everyone has a fast connection so being able to download somewhere that is fast and then move it via a backup would be very helpful.

Or maybe smart MA programmers could prevent that?
Preety shure aint that hard...
Not everyone knows that much about computers...

Prevent what? You deciding to reinstall your OS? Read your mind as to wether you had EU installed before in another folder or not?

I never reinstall windows. I had a PC that died (mobo or PSU) a slow death with a fully functional WinXP on it. It started as vanilla, then SP1 update, SP2, update, then 7 years later, PC melted. My curent PC has it's second Win7 install because I lost three HDD units in two years, and messed up the system restore partition along the way.

When I see casual PC users "oh, I'm installing windows because I can't keep it working and clean of crap for more than 2 weeks" it makes me cringe. MindArk has no fault, it's all you.

Have you tried moving dynamic content to a different partition so it's there every time you reinstall EU and doesn't need to be redownloaded?

lol

lol

wtf noobs :d

I reinstall my os about every month, and never download the whole 9gb every time.
Split your harddrive into a C and D drive, install Entropia on the D drive and keep it that way. When you reinstall EU, just choose the same map, and it won't download all of it again, just the dx-stuff etc.
This procedure is more or less standard procedure since windows98. It makes sure you don't loose all kinds of data every install...

goodluck
Naomi

noobs
I reinstall my os about every month

:duh:

pnq2T.png

that's evil of u :d

That's evil of you :d, or at least, not very nice...

You pull my text out of context and assemble it in a way to twist my words, appearently on purpose :(
The 'noobs'-expression ment: working with a C: and D:-drive is basic knowledge, any proper system is installed this way. If it is not done this way, it is being done by one who is either lacking the knowledge, or a company who does not take the effort (monetary motives), or someone who is working with multiple drives (in which case the eu-folder problem won't arise either).

You try to put in my mouth, that ppl who do not reinstall their system often are noobs. That is NOT WHAT I SAID mrproper.

Why I prefer to regularly do a clean install is private and for very good reasons.
I was trying to help people in this post, by telling them how professionals take care of this 'noob'-problem. And since I am an IT professional, need to reinstall my system often and don't download the EU-folder over and over, I felt like sharing my knowledge.
Why do you feel the need to start trolling? Do you need to compensate for something?:confused:

have a nice day
Naomi

P.S.
Perhaps next time you will not call uninformed users noobs, right?

Quote from wikipedia:
Newbie, newb, n00b or noob is a slang term for a novice or newcomer, or somebody inexperienced in any profession or activity. Contemporary use can particularly refer to a beginner or new user of computers, often concerning Internet activity, such as online gaming[1] or Linux use.[2][3] It can have derogatory connotations, but is also often used for descriptive purposes only, without a value judgment.

the word 'noob' is not necessarily an insult. I myself am a noob in horsebackriding and space aviation.
There is nothing wrong with calling a cow a cow, and a fat person, a fat person :) It is just the truth.

Last edited:
Perhaps next time you will not call uninformed users noobs, right? Irony is a harsh mistress.

They don't know how EU manages it's content files, and you don't know how to keep your OS functioning in the same install for more than a month. Everyone is incompetent on some level and topic, but you seem to suggest superiority in competence over the OP's situation by claiming the use of non-system drives for downloaded EU content.

The problem is not MA, or the fact that you need to download the game data again. The problem is reinstalling your OS for non critical failure reasons. If you don't need to reinstall your OS, you don't need to download anything, no matter where you store the dynamic content files.

It's like... OMG, my car is dirty today. Better sell it on the second hand market with all my belonging inside, and purchase another brand new shiny car and work to acquire new belongings!

[...]working with a C: and D:-drive is basic knowledge, any proper system is installed this way. If it is not done this way, it is being done by one who is either lacking the knowledge, or a company who does not take the effort (monetary motives), or someone who is working with multiple drives (in which case the eu-folder problem won't arise either).

alas it isnt basic knowledge, even amongst professionals, not for monetary reasons but usually because they are taught or learn any better. most systems are factory installed with a large C: and most MCSE will use this default too. its only when they've learnt the benefits of multiple drives through experience (usually of recovering from disaster) or working in server land, do they embrace this technique. its Microsofts fault for encouraging MyDocuments and other such defaults.

just be happy we are not in the 80's with its pricing and elitist mentality concerning computer know how. on a side note you would not be called a noob, problem is you would not even command a response having so little knowledge, so much of a noob to even be called one!

a solution to the problem has been given but when I choose to save a installed app I export the rev values associated with it, copy its program data from the three potential folders "local, Locallow, roaming,' and the folder from the program files folder. some apps do not need all of this like World of Warcraft you only need to copy the folder on the root of the drive you installed it to. other games with excessive anti pirating measures cant be coped in such a easy way you need to use disc cloning with ghost and so on but such games are not "free" software like crisis ♥, command a conquer, empire earth, kinda of games.

Edit:
thought I would add sometimes things are also stored in user folders to for the most part only smaller apps do this like pcb cad software and such.

Back