Question: Why is there no recurring monthly option?

jwestonmoss

Alpha
Francis Merlinfire Sureshot
Given how often people talk of having their monthly budgets for play, I'm constantly surprised that there is no monthly recurring option for webshop items. As in, when you check out with $20 worth of boxes, there would be an option for "make this a recurring purchase" which you could set to one of a few preset frequencies.

Why isn't this a thing?

If it was like a normal subscription that would make sense, but not as much when what you might buy could change easily each month.

Honestly, it’d probably be a source for more complaining with little real benefit for players. People would forget about it then raise a stink if they let it run for months at a time.

After carefully considering the idea...

Veto. Bad idea. Horrible. Stupid.

15 seconds of thought on how this could go wrong would be all it takes to have stopped this thread to begin with.

After carefully considering the idea...

Veto. Bad idea. Horrible. Stupid.

15 seconds of thought on how this could go wrong would be all it takes to have stopped this thread to begin with.
care to elaborate?

If it was like a normal subscription that would make sense, but not as much when what you might buy could change easily each month.

Honestly, it’d probably be a source for more complaining with little real benefit for players. People would forget about it then raise a stink if they let it run for months at a time.
people do that with normal MMO's. as an optional choice, it could provide value to people who want to play with a fixed budget without added record-keeping

care to elaborate?

A ton of players do not:
  1. Have a set depo amount
  2. Want to set a depo amount
  3. Want the possibility that the system might accidentally charge their cards/accounts for money they have no intention of giving, and requiring months to get it back, minus fees
It is mostly for reason #3 that this is a truly bad idea. Please tell me you can see the possibility of that being a problem.

Set monthly auto-bill fees only work when you are selling a product (I.E. subscription) of a set amount. Anything else sets up a 100% chance of error that could cost vast amounts of money and trouble.
And if MA ever goes the subscription route, many of us are out.

I think it could definitely be an interesting idea, they would have to do something different with the service though as otherwise it wouldn't make sense to add it.
Maybe as with the refill packs you get skill pills and the longer you have the subscription running you would gain more of them?

Unless there is a clear incentive to do it people wouldn't do it as it is just easier to depo as much as you need each time.

people do that with normal MMO's. as an optional choice, it could provide value to people who want to play with a fixed budget without added record-keeping
This isn't a normal MMO. In those MMOs, you pay a monthly subscription to get access. Instead we have an RCE here.

Subscriptions work when it reduces barriers to play (i.e., not having to worry about forgetting to pay your monthly fee in order to play at all). There's no real barrier a subscription would take down in EU. Part of the security of EU is that you only deposit when you want to, and current deposit methods are only a few clicks that you can easily verify too. Even if someone roughly does deposit X amount a month, it's trivial for them to do so themselves already rather than creating a system that could open up the potential for severe errors.

Last edited:
webshop crap is crap. I'd hate having 12 recurring bunch of craps in inventory... If they rotated things on the webshop and made it worthwhile with a guaranteed rare item at least every other month, sure, but no lets buy the gold package or refill of boxes that contain another 3 million kittens...

For many players a weekly, or even, daily auto-deposit might be better :tiphat:
Just kidding :beerchug:

Given how often people talk of having their monthly budgets for play, I'm constantly surprised that there is no monthly recurring option for webshop items. As in, when you check out with $20 worth of boxes, there would be an option for "make this a recurring purchase" which you could set to one of a few preset frequencies.

Why isn't this a thing?

I have a heart attack every time I deposit, do you really want to make this process automatic and recurring?

Gotta say I'm really surprised at the responses I'm getting, guess I don't really have the heartbeat of the EU community yet.

Entropia Dao yes that was the only argument I could come up with, it would allow someone to essentially enter a "no-depo" mode psychologically, where they no longer think about depositing, it just "happens on its own", which might be good for the player, but probably would cut down on impulse-depo's.

Back