Question: Wizards of the Coast and Compet?

gekkegerrit

Old Alpha
Society
Pets For Sale
I notice a lot of similarities between the ComPet arena battle engine and the Wizards of the Coast game - Magic The Gathering.

Is there a partnership between ComPet and WoC or will there be sparks flying between these two companies in the very near future?

I LOL'd ...

You mean, something these games share in common with every single skill/turn based gaming system since D&D?

Or did you notice something in particular, unique in some way to these two game engines?

I haven't played but, as far as I know there isn't much 'unique' to compets, except of course the game art and item names. It's just an attempt to monetize some well proven industry techniques for TCG/MMO hybrid browser games.

I LOL'd ...

You mean, something these games share in common with every single skill/turn based gaming system since D&D?

Or did you notice something in particular, unique in some way to these two game engines?

I haven't played but, as far as I know there isn't much 'unique' to compets, except of course the game art and item names. It's just an attempt to monetize some well proven industry techniques for TCG/MMO hybrid browser games.

The game play is almost identical to Magic The Gathering, and I'm pretty sure the inventor Richard Garfield has the copyrights for this unique style of game play. I'm certainly getting the popcorn ready.

The game play is almost identical to Magic The Gathering, and I'm pretty sure the inventor Richard Garfield has the copyrights for this unique style of game play. I'm certainly getting the popcorn ready.

You're going to be eating popcorn for a while. Might wanna get a gym pass.

You're going to be eating popcorn for a while. Might wanna get a gym pass.

Here's an example..

compet-mtg.jpg

Here's an example..

edit: <pictures from any two Online TCG ever>

Yeah, I'm not saying there's no similarity, I'm saying this is an entire genre.

The game type was well established and this sort of card layout was popularized about 5 minutes after Flash was invented I think.

I mean I guess that's like Royal suing Bicycle for making playing cards with hearts, spades, diamonds, and clubs on them.

How much popcorn did you bring? Are you sharing?

Yeah, I'm not saying there's no similarity, I'm saying this is an entire genre.

The game type was well established and this sort of card layout was popularized about 5 minutes after Flash was invented I think.

I mean I guess that's like Royal suing Bicycle for making playing cards with hearts, spades, diamonds, and clubs on them.

How much popcorn did you bring? Are you sharing?

There is no copyright on simple playing cards, but there is a big fat one on Magic The Gathering and its 'Mana' driven play style.

I have plenty of popcorn, I just hope ,for my compet deeds sake, that this has already been researched by MindArk!

:popcorn:

They have a patent on all TCGs I don't think so

Dude, have you not played pokemon? Compets is way closer to pokemon than MTG. MTG has depth and strategy, compets is so far from that. Yu-Gi-Oh even is closer. Now, you might have an idea that would help this game survive launch - infuse some complexity and not like EUs befuddlement of mass counterintuitivity. Challenge them to make something intuitive and graceful and deep - like Ember Strike. Something special.

Dude, have you not played pokemon? Compets is way closer to pokemon than MTG. MTG has depth and strategy, compets is so far from that. Yu-Gi-Oh even is closer. Now, you might have an idea that would help this game survive launch - infuse some complexity and not like EUs befuddlement of mass counterintuitivity. Challenge them to make something intuitive and graceful and deep - like Ember Strike. Something special.

MTG came out in 1993, it is the grandaddy to all those other CCGs and has most of the copyrights.

The pokemon card game was also published by wizards of the coast.

I'm not a legal expert, but if I see the similarities I'm sure others will too.

There is no copyright on simple playing cards, but there is a big fat one on Magic The Gathering and its 'Mana' driven play style.

I have plenty of popcorn, I just hope ,for my compet deeds sake, that this has already been researched by MindArk!

Have you ever played any game before? Almost every turn style game is mana driven....

OP, it is funny you say this as I used to play Magic The Gathering-MTG and ofc Compets is a variation of Pokemon (used to play Pokemon to when I was a very young lad), two other mobile games (can't think of their names atm), a few ideas/elements taken from MTG, and the simple unifying foundations in thinking ahead or anticipating strategies or tactics taken from chess/risk board game.

*elements/tactics in utilizing tank, healer, mana burn, first strike or very high attack speed-initiation (Fireball deck in MTG), pure defense in not allowing opponent to do anything (like a counter & control deck in MTG), and heavy hitters in big hard hitting but big mana eating spells.

Have you ever played any game before? Almost every turn style game is mana driven....

Indeed, but they all have their root in some patent or another, an interesting article relating to this style of game....

Wizards of the Coast, now a Renton Washington subsidiary of Hasbro was instrumental in bringing the Pokemon Trading Card Game to video game format. Wizard's U.S. Patent 5,662,332 is strongly referenced by Konami's more recent patent, U.S. Patent 6,398,651 covering Yu-Gi-Oh video games. Wizard's patent includes many elements and concepts now present in Yu-Gi-Oh.

I would just like to know that the compet game is covered.

This is the stupidest thing I have read in awhile.

Alrighty for the people who arent familiar with how things like this works here are the basics:

1. Copyright refers to a specific instance of your EXACT product/art work, copyright although incredibly well protected within its confined area is limited in scope. For example the two images you posted are not even close in terms of copyright, they wouldnt even be close if they were both depicting a burning man as that is not specific enough to be under copyright, they would have to grab the art style/design whole sale for that to matter at all.
Beyond that the image in the compet game is descriptive or in other words the image describes the text, which again means certain exceptions to both copyright and trademark as long as its not a identical copy to a prior work.

Secondly, copyright does not extend into script/code/functionality/genre, copyright does not protect method of operation, it protects a defined property created by method(like a unique chair or some shit like that). Or in other words you cant copyright the way you do something just the final outcome of your effort.

2. Trade dress(Basically its a copyrighted shape) does not extend to a simple rectangle(the trading cards), it needs to be unique enough based on its silhouette for a layman to identify the object.

3. you cant copyright trading cards.... they are cards with shit written on them....

Come on people, we are the Entropia community we should be able to conjure up some better quality drama!

Last edited:
Back