My first months experience...

TheLastKnight

Stalker
Society
Lost Renegades
Johnson Theragra Knewb
I'm new to blogs, read a few and find some quite interesting, and others a complete bore....Hope this is good, being my first one.

I began around the end of January after a friend "hooked" me with the idea of making real $$$ with Entropia. Needless to say, who doesn't want to make money, and playing a game at that?! So I started with the download (he gave me a disc, which would have saved me several hours, but neglected to tell me so) and at the speed I get (isn't cheap), took about 5-7 hours...not sure, watched a lot of tv during the download. Finally, it was done, lets log in....."WHAT THE?!" apparently there were patches to upgarade the universe.....*yawn*, alright, another hour or so and finally, I'm in.

In hindsight, I would have used a different appearance for my avatar (I look like over half the population!), but was too eager to play to bother with the details. And, my name would have been something simple, perhaps a handle I've used for other games, but I got the login name and Avatar name criss crossed, so my Avatar "Johnson Theragra Knewb" (pronounced NOOB) was supposed to be "The Last Knight", but oh well.....I've gotten used to soci members calling me Johnson...quite funny because it's a mock nickname I use for my brother :laugh:.

Moving on, I stagger off the spaceship, drunk with eagerness on my new quest...to make money... and as all NOOBS, I'm lost. I'm talking to ingame 'helpdesk' trying to figure out WTF do I do know :confused:!!! Alas, someone was nice enough to talk to me, and I ask a billion questions, and he's kind enough to answer them. I'm skeptical, not sure what his intentions are, or what he plans on gaining, but he insists that he's only here to help. He goes on to tell me about sweating, and runs to the sweat grounds (forget the place, since I havn't been there for a while) North West of Port Atlantis, then wishes me luck.

After the first hour, I have about 50 bottles of sweat, WOOO WHOO!!! How do I turn this into $$$? tough luck... I'm told I've made about 2.5pec....OMFG, you serious? I'm a bit disappointed, but I'm confident I can do better, so I keep it up, sweating, running, sweating, running. After the first day, I've developed a method that works well for me, and I'd recommend it to anyone new to the concept. First off all, get away from the mass of other avatars sweating/hunting; when they get the attention of a mob, half the time, if your in the vicinity (sometimes you could be over 100m away), the mob will choose you as the target. As I was saying, move away from the mass, I recommend directly east of Port Atlantis in the swamp where there respawning daikba's and berycled. Sweat the mob as usual, but do it near deep enough water to drown the mob, once it attacks, just swim out about 30-40 meters, and the mob will drown...if your quick enough, you'll get minimal damage. Repeat this over and over and it'll save you the time of unecessary attacks or unecessary damage.

Alright, this is getting quite long... moving on. After the first 2 weeks (yes, sweating for 2 weeks, and I barely had enough ped to do anything), I finally had enough to do mining, my sole intention when I first began...so I bought enmatter detector and about 10 probes, first run at it found minimal oil north of PA, but then I hit a deposit of Alice Liquid that just wouldn't stop drilling. It was by no means a global, but at my skill level it took about 15 min to extract, and OMFG!!! I got 47ped worth! Eager, I probe the whole island, no results, but I'm amped. I invest in 80 probes, I should double my fortune, AT LEAST!!!! Long story short, 80 probes yielded about 10 ped. Apparently some places are no good at all for mining. At the end of the day (perhaps 3am) I'm broke, no more enmatter, no more probes...back to sweating:mad: Well, a few days later, I get enough to buy 10 probes, and lo and behold, about 150 meters from the sweat turret, CHA CHING $$$!!! I got a global for 127ped, OMFG!!!!:yay:, and get this, about 2 hours later, $$$CHA CHING$$$$:yay::D:eek: I got another global for 216 ped, which broke my extractor and had me CRAWLING back to PA (btw, thanks for telling me about pressing T, lol). I got it all back, invested heavily into more mining, but kaput, nada, nothing. How unfair.

I couldn't bear 2 more weeks of sweating...so I gave in and made a deposit. I'm a bit precarious, so I dump $100usd, and 980 ped!!! WOO HOOO...I'm massively into mining, but after a few days, I'm broke again, but only because I'm reluctant to give up my hard earned loot, so I deposit again, $100usd (I know, I know, stupid). This extends my mining runs, and I invest in pixie armor and the good ol' opalo, to help clear 'loot areas' which, by the way, from my experience, aren't all that great.

After about 3 weeks into the game, my good ol' soci member that got me started finally shows up (apparently, he's on the other side of the world and when I'm on, he's off!!!), and I realize he is here to help, and to this day, his insights are invaluable. I've tied to pay for his services, but he won't have it.

Anyway, the meat of this blog....I've played for a little over a month, and my stats have surpassed most of the soci members that have played longer than I have, but also consider, in a month I've invested $450usd. However, there is a good return on my investment. My skills are up, and in the last week and a half, I've had approx 10 globals in mining, 4 globals in hunting (got nice armor, faps, a tp chip, heal chip, etc...) and one HoF - which, by the way, made me cry, lol, jk - worth 1,400ped. The markup was 150% so my return was enromous. It's been over a week from this and I'm in no fear of another deposit anytime soon.

I've focused on hunting atm, and like it quite a bit. Some loot is interesting, skill implant chips, limited weapons, etc...and the loot lately has covered most of the cost of the decay and ammo. Currently I'm trying some crafting, seeing all the globals and HoF's, especially on the ore-finder (L).... crazy amounts...spent an hour next to a guy that gout about 30 of em, including a HoF...lucky I guess.

I'm looking at going on robot beacon missions (got 2 beacons atm), but don't have a full competent crew to do it, and I'd like it to be fair so it may be a while before I do, so until then, I'm going to focus on more skill gains, and hopefully the occasional global or HoF.

I would like to comment on mining, for those interested and diligent enough to read this far. There are a lot of manuals, hints, advice on mining, and some I agree with, others just don't apply.

Location is key in MOST cases, if you are in an area that doesn't give copper, it's not going to anytime soon. If you find an area that has a good volume of success, it's a good area to return (I've returned several hours later to find loot again, although it wasn't much).
If an area fails to produce 9 out of 10 probes/bombs, it's a dead zone, get out of there, however, I happened to global once in one of these, and actually got my HoF in a place that wasn't a dead zone, but had very poor results, but this chance is slim.
Skill gains- from my experience, in fact do detect resources, but not the same way as I read (ex: prospecting means something within 250 meters, I've carpet bombed within this radius with no result at times). If I get repeated skill gains, it's usually in a place where there is resources available. In the same context, when I've bombed/probed in a dead zone, almost no skill gain.
The strangest places may surprise you. I've globaled twice in respawn areas. Soon as I appear, I just (out of the fun of it at first, but now seems a necessity) drop a bomb or probe to see if anything comes of it.
If you're mining with a friend, or someone is mining an area around you, don't mine over their path, almost all the results will be zero.

Well, this is just a few pointers based on 'my' experience, and others may have different results. I think I've been quite sucessful so far, and am eager to jump right in it every evening to see what the next EU day has in store...who knows, perhaps I'll get lucky and land a whopping 6 digit HoF...dreaming, but who's to say it won't happen?

I've rambled enough, and you've got better things to do, or other blogs to read. There's more in the ways of details, and perhaps I can work on a manual of my own of "hotspots" (I like to refer to them) for mining. Hope you enjoyed the read...

thats a very nice start to your life in EU, gratz :D

Good read Johnson, i wish you a prosperous and happy time in EU :)

Nice story and writing my friend :)

It's interesting to read blogs like this, when players first joined, and got globals and even HOF ubers (1K+ PED TT value) within their first few months playing...and yet there are avatars like mine who have been playing since 2003 or earlier and never had a HOF of 1K or more.

Have a peruse of my blog entries to see a completely different side of the coin. :)

Nice blog entry btw. Cheers!

Back