2013/1/29 Ten Years on Calypso

Doer

Marauder
Society
Rangers
David "Doer" Falkayn
MA commemorated the tenth year anniversary of EU by applying VU 13.0 today and I'm quite excited by some of the new developments.

Content List VU 13.0 said:
ENTROPIA UNIVERSE VERSION UPDATE 13.0
2012-01-29

*** PLEASE READ THIS DOCUMENT IF YOU FIND SOMETHING OUT OF THE ORDINARY IN THE ENTROPIA UNIVERSE! IT MIGHT PROVIDE THE INFO YOU NEED BEFORE CONTACTING THE ENTROPIA UNIVERSE SUPPORT DEPARTMENT! ***

VERSION UPDATE FEATURES

Bonus Abilities
Several new skills-based avatar capabilities have been added. Each of these may be activated by an assigned hot key from the activities book for use as desired.
  • Dual Wielding of two identical single-handed weapons is now possible when a player has reached twice the maxed SIB professional level of the weapon. Dual Wielding provides a 50% increase in attack rate compared to wielding a single weapon, but exacts a 25% loss in range.
  • Sniper Nerves are activated for carbines and rifles for each 10 levels professional standing above the maxed (Hit) and (Dmg) requirement. Each level of Sniper Nerves will increase the maximum range of the weapon by 10%, up to a maximum of 40%, and the size of amplifier that can work on the weapon from 50% of the weapon maximum damage by 10%, up to a maximum of 75% of the weapon maximum damage.
  • Parry Reflexes are activated for longblade weapons for each 10 levels professional standing above the maxed requirement. Each level of Parry Reflexes will decrease the close-range damage (impact, cut and stab) by up to 10% of the blade maximum damage when activated, to a maximum of 50%. The blade will decay at a rate 600% less than when inflicting the same damage. RDI scientists report that this can provide meaningful savings over the most durable armor. They have also noted that the armor penetration criticals don't bypass a parry.
  • Miner Perception is active during the SIB of each finder. Gains in general skills (e.g. perception, serendipity) will only come when a rare or class VI+ deposit is within two finder ranges of the finding attempt. Note that not all finders can find all minerals, and using Miner Perception may reduce your overall general skill gain when mining.

Beauty
With sufficient skills, it is now possible for a beautician to change an avatar's gender and identity (name). The process is not cheap. It might require some radioactive items...

AI
Several new mob maturities have been observed in the revisited radioactive zones of Calypso. Reports warn that these enormous mutated creatures have high regenerative capabilities and complex group behavior. Colonists are advised to proceed with caution, and are reminded that radiation shielding is required.

Mindforce
Improvements in understanding of the phenomenon of Mindforce have opened up new possibilities. Devices that amplify the brain's innate capability have been developed, and colonists may discover various energy field manipulation capabilities such as radiation deflection and protection from burning, electric or cold damages.

Melee Amps
New ways of enhancing the damage of melee weapons have arrived using some new Mindforce capabilities and also with electrical shock generators that should be arriving in the next shipment to Calypso.

Beverages
After many years of prohibition, the pubs and bars of Calypso have finally been stocked with various beverages. Each has a specific temporary effect except beer; beer just makes you drunk.

Graphics
To commemorate the Tenth Anniversary of our beloved Calypso home, a new museum has been opened in Hadesheim. The museum features scenes from throughout the history of Calypso, with memorable events, items and places recreated in virtua-holographic technology. For an admission price, colonists can participate in one of the re-creations. Others can simply observe from the invisibility of the observation sphere.

Items
A range of new items have been added and are waiting to be discovered.
To reduce litter, items with a value below 10 PEC cannot be dropped.

Other Enhancements
A new channel has been created for Hall of Fame messages. This 'HOF' message channel is disabled by default for new arrivals.

I'm especially excited about the extra range and damage possibility for my beloved carbine. Since i maxed it last year, there's been no particular reason to skill Laser Sniper or Ranged Damage. The advantage of skills became much more real with this VU. I also might take up longblade now and then to try out the melee amps and parry ability.

I was contemplating buying that 2k PED tt set of unlimited Sema armor that was manufactured recently from some (L) bps that dropped. The high durability would have saved me a lot over time, especially in mob regeneration while fapping due to the increased regen rate, but it sounds like there might be some interesting alternatives for protection via mindforce and melee combat. I think I will deposit to buy an unlimited Shear XR110 for my gun, instead. It's going to take a long time to reach level 110 when i can increase the maximum amp i can put on it. The XR90 (L) has been worthwhile at 110% lately, but the extra 10 damage will be useful now that everyone with skills will be running around with two Scrofs. The higher regen of mobs the last few VUs and bigger mob maturities showing up probably justify the expense.

I saw a discovery HOF for an X15 (L) just now from a mutated chomper. With the X10 requiring level 90 to max out, perhaps the X15 will be the first weapon to require over 100. It seems like it's time, with the faster ones in the generation of colonists that started on SIB (L) weapons growing up now. The increased advantage of SIB the last couple years has really changed the skill distribution. That the unlimited Modified Hedoc Adventurer sold last week for 300,000 PEDs to someone who can actually use it is tribute to that. It's gratifying that with enough skills, one can get a healing tool with the same two second reload as the Mod. FAP, same 58 heal/s as the Imp. FAP, and twice the economy of the ordinary SIB healing tools, all at a price much less than an Imp. FAP. It motivates skilling in a way that wasn't really seen before.

I heard of an A101 dropping the other day, something almost forgotten by most colonists. With the huge influx of colonists when the new planets developed, those old A-series amps were so dispersed that i rarely see anyone using one these days. I think MA made the right decision in their surreptitious buy-back of hundreds of the amps. It has really leveled the playing field a lot.

With the (L) SIB weapons and (L) amps at about the same markup and economy all the way up to the X5 these days, it means the average economy is also the typical economy, and I don't see so many whining threads now with everyone competing at a similar efficiency, regardless of level. Only those who insist on hunting above their level or intent on using non-SIB stuff they haven't maxed out are doing that, and that kind of decision is not something anyone else can do anything about.

Overall, it seems like a good VU.

Amazing man ! Its so right and dooable...
Amazing lol

MA read this please! Although to be honest, i think they already know what it says. I hope this is the future of EU.

If MA stays true to form, wouldn't this Vu be implemented Tuesday Jan. 29, 2013?

Or is your assessment of the new VU what comes out on jan. 30? ;)

With the (L) SIB weapons and (L) amps at about the same markup and economy all the way up to the X5 these days
heh, would be soooooooo :) nice to see that right now.

Overall, it seems like a good VU.
that would probably be the first one :)

amazing, thanks for sharing your thoughts in such a creative way

Like the beer idea

Back