Info: Testing ores refresh rate in mining

Ace Flyster

Marauder
Dave Ace Flyster
Inspired by the thread starter in this thread

https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/mining/178790-amount-deposits-vs-amount-types.html#post2286959

I have decided to attempt to test this theory, how long does it take for ores to replenish?

In my experience it is probably less than hour. My gut tells me its around 20-30mins, so i will do this test at a complete waste of ped to try and sort this out once and for all

Previously i have dropped 1.5k bombs continously in the same place with no time gaps after finding something on the first bomb. No more claims. So the refresh rate is definitely not instant

Here is how i am going to test it.......

Test One

Mine untill i find a claim then wait one minute and drop another continously for 20 bombs. Presuming i do not find anything, move on to 2 mins gap....etc

20 bombs with out a claim mining normally is very rare....which is why i picked it.

• If other avatars cross within 50 meters ish, i will start the experiment again
  • If i fall asleep and do not keep to the proper time gap i will start this again
  • If the gap inbetween gets to big, i will have to find another way to test this
  • If i crash to destop/logout etc i will start again

Test 2

As 6 mins on test 1 took 2 hours, i changed the plan slightly to bombing around a small square. No over lap, approx 120 meters apart. Starting at 2 mins intervals on each corner, this will give approx 8 mins from the first drop

Will have to clear the corners each time before i start the experiment of course

Then i will move up to 3 min intervals then 4 min intervals etc

I think that covers most things, i will use the tt finder for reduced cost and of course no amp. I am pretty darn sure that the finder type will be irrelevant in this test. And there is absolutely no way i will do it again with another type of finder

All thoughts/posts are welcome

Rgds

Ace

Last edited:
Test 1
  • 20 bombs, 1 min intervals, Zero Claims
  • 20 bombs, 2 min intervals, Zero Claims
  • 20 bombs, 3 min intervals, Zero Claims
  • 20 bombs, 4 min intervals, Zero Claims
  • 20 bombs, 5 min intervals, Zero Claims
  • 20 bombs, 6 min intervals, Zero Claims

Test 2
  • 20 bombs, 2 min intervals, In a square, 2 claims

Last edited:
respawns elsewhere on depletion just like visible mobs do. :tiphat:
Posted via Mobile Device

It was always my assumption that ore replenish's in an are according to Ore type and Market demand.

IE an area of lyst may replenish every 10 mins to a half hour depending on demand for lyst

an Area of tride or ruga may not refresh for a week to a month depending on need in game.

But then again VU 10 and later is supposedly all new so God knows what they did with the spawns.

It was always my assumption that ore replenish's in an are according to Ore type and Market demand.

IE an area of lyst may replenish every 10 mins to a half hour depending on demand for lyst

an Area of tride or ruga may not refresh for a week to a month depending on need in game.

But then again VU 10 and later is supposedly all new so God knows what they did with the spawns.

In my experience and i have spreadsheets that pretty much prove this,

You get the same rough percentage of ores in a select area, no matter time, date, market trends etc

Rgds

Ace

Very interresting, but theres one thing...

You mine, find 1st claim and than camp the place rebombing after 2 minutes. But we dont know if the claim will respawn on the same place. What if it respawns 10 metres behind the range of your finder? I think we will see:)

+ rep for this

Posted via Mobile Device

I guess i believe it is avatar based, but if i find absolutely nothing then i have only proved that it was a stupid test lol

Rgds

Ace

Very interresting, but theres one thing...

You mine, find 1st claim and than camp the place rebombing after 2 minutes. But we dont know if the claim will respawn on the same place. What if it respawns 10 metres behind the range of your finder? I think we will see:)

+ rep for this

I had not thought of that possiblity...+rep

I will extract the first find. Not move and bomb from there, If i find something afterwards i will say range depth etc

Rgds

Ace

Posted via Mobile Device

i agrwee on this

I guess i believe it is avatar based, but if i find absolutely nothing then i have only proved that it was a stupid test lol

Rgds

Ace

hehe i belive this will be the outcome ;D

Mining in my eyes work just as hunting, a new "mob" respawn within the area once you kill it.

respawns elsewhere on depletion just like visible mobs do.

Claims do not re-spawn, they are avatar specific and generated at time of bomb/probe being dropped (hasn't MA stated this?). They do not exist in the ground to be found, like mobs are found on the radar.

As most of us well know, if you find a claim within a close range and re-drop at the same coords, you can find another further out. This says to me that some data is saved on the server saying your avatar dropped at x,y and a radius from x,y will remain NRF for a period of time for your avatar. Other people can still hit claims within this area.

What the test here will tell us is, how long does the data on the server exist, forcing NRF for your avatar within this area?

I have experienced at times, getting NRF at x,y followed by re-dropping and hitting a claim at the same x,y immediately after (dropped the second on accident). What does this mean? It means claims are generated at time of drop.

Perhaps once you hit a claim, the NRF radius for your avatar in that area only exists so long as the claim exists. Once the claim is extracted, the area is reset. If so, then when you hit NRF on first drop at x,y, then you have a chance at hitting a claim on second drop.

I would be very interested to see a test where someone hits a claim at 54m+ range from x,y drop coords. Then, without extracting the claim, continue dropping at same x,y. I suspect this would produce all NRF until claim expired, unless another claim pops up at 54.1m+.

Last edited:
Subscribing.

GL Ace :)

First stupid set done

20 bombs same spot after finding claim, 1 min interval, total time = 20 mins
Total calims found, a big fat zero

I did find it quite funny though that the claim i was doing the test from had to be in a bloody tree trunk lol

Anyway boring picks to follow

Start

Finish

Now on to 2 min intervals ;)

Rgds

Ace

Just have to see what this brings :laugh:

S V :tiphat:

Anyone want to bet if i find anything at all?

Rgds

Ace

Claims do not re-spawn, they are avatar specific and generated at time of bomb/probe being dropped (hasn't MA stated this?). They do not exist in the ground to be found, like mobs are found on the radar.

nope they have not :)

Well that was a boring 40 mins

20 bombs, 2 mins apart, total 40 mins, zero claims

Now i need a cig, and go for the 3 min intervals, then i think it might be time for a pint or 20 ;)

Rgds

Ace

To implement fully working mining system as we know it, you have to:

1. Delete all geometry from mob objects at frames they are "idle"
2. replace "death 1" animation with appearing claimrod and "death 2" animation with tower
3. Attach object to the same "respawn elsewhere on depletion" -> bind it to the moving spawnspot.
4. Replace the unit "HP" with unit "depth" and modify the criteria of "death" to match new unit.
5. Enjoy watchig peeps making theories.

I don't get it.

Why peeps want to do more work that is essential... :scratch2:

Ah back on topic: OP, try doing the same test on 2 different areas: popular mining grounds and the farthest shithole there is and compare the resuts. Just a suggestion. :)

To implement fully working mining system as we know it, you have to:

1. Delete all geometry from mob objects at frames they are "idle"
2. replace "death 1" animation with appearing claimrod and "death 2" animation with tower
3. Attach object to the same "respawn elsewhere on depletion" -> bind it to the moving spawnspot.
4. Replace the unit "HP" with unit "depth" and modify the criteria of "death" to match new unit.
5. Enjoy watchig peeps making theories.

I don't get it.

Why peeps want to do more work that is essential... :scratch2:

Ah back on topic: OP, try doing the same test on 2 different areas: popular mining grounds and the farthest shithole there is and compare the resuts. Just a suggestion. :)

or you can make it like this

make one hell of a big grid ie spawnpoints.

smack the gfx on top of that

spawn a "mob" tie that to a spawnpoint, give the spawnpoint a value from the db it's stored in.

if you want a mining claim substitute the mob with just a invisible point and voila done.

sort of :)

Do a simple test in landarea far S of solfais (this is good because estophyls there are in small dense area):

- kill 3 estos and lootclick them in group when all of them are dead
- kill 3 more estos and lootclick them separately, right after they die

Rinse and repeat.

Wander around and you'll find groups of 3 packed estos and "lines" of 3 estos. And these groups are in one line and the line is straight or ligtly curved if you did the killing standing in one spot.

My dumbass conclusion: Spawnspot is a mob that moves and respawns depleted objects in relation to the distance of the depletion point and its own location.

And sorry about this offtopic babbling again. Come to Ravintola Blomstedt when they reopen and I'll buy you a pint. :)

The unfortunate thing about not finding anything is we will be able to draw different conclusions from it

Ie

For the avatar based mining people: Dropping a bomb and having a NRF, MA could have blanked out that area for you, so you have to move to be to find another claim

For none avatar based people: The ore has respawned somewhere else

If i do find something, again different conclusions

For avatar based: MA put a time constraint on the avatar

For none avatar based: someone extracted a claim somewhere else and it respawned where i am doing the test

Therefore not conclusive for testing avatar or none avatar based system

Rgds

Ace

Unless of course i find something consitantly after a certain time period, would prove to me that it was avatar based

The unfortunate thing about not finding anything is we will be able to draw different conclusions from it

Ie

For the avatar based mining people: Dropping a bomb and having a NRF, MA could have blanked out that area for you, so you have to move to be to find another claim

For none avatar based people: The ore has respawned somewhere else

If i do find something, again different conclusions

For avatar based: MA put a time constraint on the avatar

For none avatar based: someone extracted a claim somewhere else and it respawned where i am doing the test

Therefore not conclusive for testing avatar or none avatar based system

Rgds

Ace

Unless of course i find something consitantly after a certain time period, would prove to me that it was avatar based

Existence of a claim within one's range doesn't necessarily mean actually finding it. Many posts here suggest that hitrate is somewhat fixed.

Well, in hunting you have a hitrate fixed to your HA and DMG, which is between min and max (average damage in the long run).

In mining you have hidden HA and average depth visible in finder's info page.

Does this make sense? Just re-arranging visible blocks... :silly2:

Some evidence that claims are generated at time of drop and are avatar based can be derived from amped vs unamped mining or low end vs high end finders.

Amped mining produces larger size finds on average than unamped (fewer II claims).

High end finders find better resources than low end finders (less lyst).

I would be interested in an explanation of how this could happen without claims being generated at time of drop.

Some evidence that claims are generated at time of drop and are avatar based can be derived from amped vs unamped mining or low end vs high end finders.

Amped mining produces larger size finds on average than unamped (fewer II claims).

High end finders find better resources than low end finders (less lyst).

I would be interested in an explanation of how this could happen without claims being generated at time of drop.

That is partly why i believe it is avatar based, as well as the 27-28% hit rate tests as well as the 95% tt returns tests

Rgds

Ace

I think i have thought up the most BORING test in EU's history

Run 3 done

20 bombs, 3 min intervals, total 1 hour, zero finds (just for a change ;) )

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: as i am going out soonish for many many beers i will hopefully do the next one tomorrow, if hangover allows lol

Well I dont think it will respawn in the same place but what do I know.....

Subscribing just to see how many ciggies and beers u get through before next claim :rolleyes:

Great idea for a test. Here's what I would suggest.

Try the same experiment, but after you find your claim, have several other avatars carpet-bomb the entire field. They could split up the field evenly and drop every 100m in a grid. Meanwhile you rebomb as before.

If the claims are in the ground and need to respawn somewhere in the field, you should get another claim much sooner with others mining the field so that claims are forced to respawn in your search radius.

Great idea for a test. Here's what I would suggest.

Try the same experiment, but after you find your claim, have several other avatars carpet-bomb the entire field. They could split up the field evenly and drop every 100m in a grid. Meanwhile you rebomb as before.

If the claims are in the ground and need to respawn somewhere in the field, you should get another claim much sooner with others mining the field so that claims are forced to respawn in your search radius.

Not a bad idea, +rep

But i would consider doing this as a seperate test to this one. Since i have started doing this with no other miners around. And it will be a lot of effort to start again

Will consider when/if/maybe i get bored of doing this, and see how long the no claims last for ;)

Rgds

Ace

EDIT: damnit i cannot + rep i need to spread some more first, apologies

Back