Niche Mentality

Peezle

Prowler
Banned
Society
Meezle
Peezle Peez McPee
Niche.

That might mean a lot of things to a lot of people.

Perhaps in EU we think we are a niche market. And that's ok.

But remember some niche market board games sold 12 million copies.

Some nice books did about the same.

A niche is no bad place to be if you fill out your market; if you don't, you are doing something wrong. You are not grasping your place in nicheland and failing.

Thoughts

Mindark did a good job.

We are here since 2003. The game got in the guinness book of records quite a few times. It still is the only successful RCE game. And the only real virtual universe. In which other game can you run for an hour straight without meeting a border (loading times, end of server reached etc etc). Fly through space to another planet to do the same. The ultimate feeling of freedom is only matched by the gta series of games or skyrim to some extent (borders are easily found there).

Niche? This is the only game I keep coming back to.

Mindark did a good job.

We are here since 2003. The game got in the guinness book of records quite a few times. It still is the only successful RCE game. And the only real virtual universe. In which other game can you run for an hour straight without meeting a border (loading times, end of server reached etc etc). Fly through space to another planet to do the same. The ultimate feeling of freedom is only matched by the gta series of games or skyrim to some extent (borders are easily found there).

Niche? This is the only game I keep coming back to.

None of which answers why we cannot attain our full potential.

look around brother.

See what people can do on the fringe, see how far they can push the envelope. The fact you come back is a good thing, that more do not join us is an epic failure.

I am a mentor Peezle. More join us each and every day.

I am a mentor Peezle. More join us each and every day.

Spawn

The niche concept is not about you being a player or me.

It is not if you have a few people or if I have a few, but the whole concept, the idea. Of filling out the niche.

In other words, if there are 2 000 people here or 10 000 or 20 000, it is not enough.

There should be 30 000 or 100 000 or 1 million,: that is a niche in today's world.

That there is not is a failure.

It is not about how you or I feel, but what should be.

No, it rates as niche nowadays.

Then 99% of non-MMO games, besides a handful of AAA titles, are niche. For instance, the god of turn-based strategies, Civilization, was sold in 8 million copies in 22 years - all versions from I to V (1.3 millions for the V alone in 3 years). And that's mainstream of the genre.

Then 99% of non-MMO games, besides a handful of AAA titles, are niche. For instance, the god of turn-based strategies, Civilization, was sold in 8 million copies in 22 years - all versions from I to V (1.3 millions for the V alone in 3 years). And that's mainstream of the genre.

Absolutely.

You seem to think niche means a tiny number of players.

After wow we are in the land of people who play games with millions of players who are niche.

I like to play euro truck 2 which has some 4 million players but it is a niche game.

One has to think of the internet with 2 billion players so 2 / 5 million is a niche.

Comparing board games and books to MMO's is a far stretch. What you might consider niche for the former, those are peak, mainstream numbers for the latter.

WoW reached it's peak at 12 million subscriptions in 2010 and continues to be the top subscription-based MMO.

Search for RCE MMO's, and you will not see many... it's a very small, emerging market. It is NOT for the average gamer. This is not for those who want to spend his/her $20 a month, sit about in their undergarments all day, playing non-stop for hours on end. This is not for children... this is not for the weak-minded.

This game is for those who have plenty of patience, are not eager to advance, and enjoy the group/individual activity of sweat gathering.

This game is also for those who want to advance quickly, and have a plethora of extra money in the bank that they are willing to spend.

This is for those who are willing to spend $20 per month, realizing that their activities may include such things at standing about, chatting with friends, gathering sweat, cross-country walks looking for fruit and stones, and repeated calling out in various cities to sell items, hoping to make a few extra ped.

Yes, this is, indeed, a niche market. And while I agree, the market could expand, I also think that, instead of just saying that "we" are failing to fill out our marketplace, why not make suggestions or, hell, I don't know... take action!

Enough with the silly blathering all over PCF just because you happen to be bored on a lazy Sunday afternoon. You want to get the word out about EU, then DO IT!

I have news for you... posting nonsensical stuff here on PCF is NOT getting the word out... we all know about EU already. :silly2:

Comparing board games and books to MMO's is a far stretch. What you might consider niche for the former, those are peak, mainstream numbers for the latter.

WoW reached it's peak at 12 million subscriptions in 2010 and continues to be the top subscription-based MMO.

Search for RCE MMO's, and you will not see many... it's a very small, emerging market. It is NOT for the average gamer. This is not for those who want to spend his/her $20 a month, sit about in their undergarments all day, playing non-stop for hours on end. This is not for children... this is not for the weak-minded.

This game is for those who have plenty of patience, are not eager to advance, and enjoy the group/individual activity of sweat gathering.

This game is also for those who want to advance quickly, and have a plethora of extra money in the bank that they are willing to spend.

This is for those who are willing to spend $20 per month, realizing that their activities may include such things at standing about, chatting with friends, gathering sweat, cross-country walks looking for fruit and stones, and repeated calling out in various cities to sell items, hoping to make a few extra ped.

Yes, this is, indeed, a niche market. And while I agree, the market could expand, I also think that, instead of just saying that "we" are failing to fill out our marketplace, why not make suggestions or, hell, I don't know... take action!

Enough with the silly blathering all over PCF just because you happen to be bored on a lazy Sunday afternoon. You want to get the word out about EU, then DO IT!

I have news for you... posting nonsensical stuff here on PCF is NOT getting the word out... we all know about EU already. :silly2:

This post was not intended to create a lather.

So my mum used to say

But to make the point there is and it is growing, whether you like it or not, a group of games that happen to fill this thing called a niche.

it is where players come to spend time and money to have fun and get kicks. I used to think we all had what it took to make it happen here, but guess what? we are losing out after 12 years of being arrogant.

It gives me no pleasure to be right.

Imagine selling 12 million copies of a game or just feeling bad? what would you choose?

This post was not intended to create a lather.

So my mum used to say

But to make the point there is and it is growing, whether you like it or not, a group of games that happen to fill this thing called a niche.

it is where players come to spend time and money to have fun and get kicks. I used to think we all had what it took to make it happen here, but guess what? we are losing out after 12 years of being arrogant.

It gives me no pleasure to be right.

Imagine selling 12 million copies of a game or just feeling bad? what would you choose?

Which rce games are you referring to?

Which rce games are you referring to?

Not any RCE per se Spawn, just that we can do a lot better.

The world is moving on. I play a lot of niche games that are not as good but don't pretend to be as good,

Peez, I am not certain why you quoted my entire post, since your response has NOTHING to do with what I stated.

As far as not intending to "create a lather", I call BS on that. Just about every single posting you make on PCF is intended to create a lather. You go out of your way to speak in riddles. You are constantly belittling the game, the players and the environment.

Again, I will ask...

If you think so much can be done to improve the subscription rate to EU, what are your suggestions? Actions speak louder than words, and so far, I have seen no action from you... just a whole lot of words that mean nothing.

Reactions: sbi
Peez, I am not certain why you quoted my entire post, since your response has NOTHING to do with what I stated.

As far as not intending to "create a lather", I call BS on that. Just about every single posting you make on PCF is intended to create a lather. You go out of your way to speak in riddles. You are constantly belittling the game, the players and the environment.

Again, I will ask...

If you think so much can be done to improve the subscription rate to EU, what are your suggestions? Actions speak louder than words, and so far, I have seen no action from you... just a whole lot of words that mean nothing.

I only quote entire posts if I respect the poster, and you and I have only ever been good to one another.

That said, you are wrong if you think I speak in riddles.

For one, I never know what that means.

For another, I think I meant to say our numbers should be bigger than they are. it should not be hard to make this happen. It sickens me we worry about numbers.

I also see many games beating our ass in numbers. There is no need for this.

This is not for children... this is not for the weak-minded.

this game is for those who know what they can & can't afford to spend each week/month on a video game... but sometimes buy things they can't afford, or spend their week's budget within 2 or 3 days of their depo and have to wait until next paycheck to continue!

this game is for those who are worth more in-game than in real life! :lolup:

I've noticed this as well in your threads Peezle. always seems to be a vague rally cry with no obvious intention of accomplishing anything more than to get some attention...

do you have a game plan for bringing 1 million players to Entropia?...
you can't just say "c'mon everybody, let's do this!", and think that's gonna work?! :scratch2:

Coz has long been a good player, not that we ever agreed, but who does?

The point of my thread is how we get to make a niche look like a niche?

Not 1 000 or 19 000 or 145 999 but 2 000 000

In today's world a niche is several million players

That's it

Last edited:
I only quote entire posts if I respect the poster, and you and I have only ever been good to one another.

That said, you are wrong if you think I speak in riddles.

For one, I never know what that means.

For another, I think I meant to say our numbers should be bigger than they are. it should not be hard to make this happen. It sickens me we worry about numbers.

I also see many games beating our ass in numbers. There is no need for this.

Yes, we've always been agreeable in our disagreements. :silly2:

As far as speaking in riddles... perhaps it has to do with your publisher background ( I have no idea what types of books you publish), but you are incredibly verbose. You use 20 words to convey a meaning, when 4 words would suffice. Often, you tend to lose the meaning halfway through the sentence.

Yes, there are games beating our ass in numbers. League of Legends is currently the top in non-subscription MMO's, with an estimated 32 million active players. It's also not an RCE, and has NO comparison in the graphics. WoW is the top subscription game... and losing players every month.

Neither of these games fit into the RCE niche. As Spawn asked, what RCE games are you referring to that are beating our ass in numbers?

Yes, we've always been agreeable in our disagreements. :silly2:

As far as speaking in riddles... perhaps it has to do with your publisher background ( I have no idea what types of books you publish), but you are incredibly verbose. You use 20 words to convey a meaning, when 4 words would suffice. Often, you tend to lose the meaning halfway through the sentence.

Yes, there are games beating our ass in numbers. League of Legends is currently the top in non-subscription MMO's, with an estimated 32 million active players. It's also not an RCE, and has NO comparison in the graphics. WoW is the top subscription game... and losing players every month.

Neither of these games fit into the RCE niche. As Spawn asked, what RCE games are you referring to that are beating our ass in numbers?

I think I am not allowed to talk of other games Coz. But in general you, and I, and Spawn, and others could gather a great deal of others to this game if they only had imagination.

As it is, I enjoy games that engage my brain.

:)

I have imagination! On vinyl even!

I have imagination! On vinyl even!

And you end your life with filth, and smut, and dirt.

So ended you life. God help you.

back to reality.

Think of huge products that did not make 100 million sales but say 2 or 4 or 10 million.

That is niche.

That is what EU could be and should be.

That is all.

I am not thinking of me. I made my money, and am happy, but I wonder if our masters understand this concept. Niche is not pennies nowadays, niche in 2013 is several million players.

back to reality.

Think of huge products that did not make 100 million sales but say 2 or 4 or 10 million.

That is niche.

That is what EU could be and should be.

That is all.

I am not thinking of me. I made my money, and am happy, but I wonder if our masters understand this concept. Niche is not pennies nowadays, niche in 2013 is several million players.

So... what do YOU (since it was you who made this thread) propose we do explicitedly to make this quota?

Please entlighten us with a few concrete ideas at least?

1) Firstly?...

2) Secondly?

3) and so on... I am sure you have a wealth of brilliant ideas. Let's hear them.

Eagerly awaiting your concrete response... ...

/Sbi (the patient)

So... what do YOU (since it was you who made this thread) propose we do explicitedly to make this quota?

Please entlighten us with a few concrete ideas at least?

1) Firstly?...

2) Secondly?

3) and so on... I am sure you have a wealth of brilliant ideas. Let's hear them.

Eagerly awaiting your concrete response... ...

/Sbi (the patient)

the quota I take you mean 2 million or more subscribers to this game.

Absolutely there should be at least that and STILL ( CAPS intended ) be a niche game in 2013.

How do we get that number?

Numerous ways.

Try being a game whore online and selling yourself as if you were the only place to be

try pissing off people as if they were in the wrong place

Try making out you were a moron for not playing this game

Try telling your friends they were gay for not playing this game

In short... do all the shit the other games do

Try telling your friends they were gay for not playing this game

In short... do all the shit the other games do
I don't think other games do that...

nor should EU! :wise:

Oh really?

Good luck with that business degree

look who's talkin'! :lolup:
your big plan to get 2 million depositing players is "piss people off, and tell all your friends if they don't play EU they are gay morons!"... yeah, that will do it! pfffft

this thread is stupid and pointless! I'm done here! :wave:

look who's talkin'! :lolup:
your big plan to get 2 million depositing players is "tell all your friends if they don't play EU they are gay morons!"... yeah, that will do it! pfffft

this thread is stupid and pointless! I'm done here! :wave:

Stupid and pointless... you have defined life. Why stop there?

Take it a step further.

Are you so much better than anyone on this forum?

Stupid and pointless... you have defined life. Why stop there?

Take it a step further.

Are you so much better than anyone on this forum?
I don't think life is stupid and pointless, I enjoy it, that's meaningful enough for me!...

and I never claimed to be better than anybody, don't know where you're getting that from, you obviously don't know me at all if you think I'd ever even hint at something like that!...

I don't really know you either, but I read your threads, that's enough for me!

to me, it seems you just get a kick out of stirring up some drama for no real reason other than to try to make a name for yourself, but I think you're not doing yourself any favors going about it the way you do... with these "let's all hold hands to make EU better" threads you start without any actual game plan in mind, just to get yourself some attention!

I don't think life is stupid and pointless, I enjoy it, that's meaningful enough for me!...

and I never claimed to be better than anybody, don't know where you're getting that from, you obviously don't know me at all if you think I'd ever even hint at something like that!...

I don't really know you either, but I read your threads, that's enough for me!

to me, it seems you just get a kick out of stirring up some drama for no real reason other than to try to make a name for yourself, but I think you're not doing yourself any favors going about it the way you do... with these "let's all hold hands to make EU better" threads you start without any actual game plan in mind, just to get yourself some attention!

Ok brother I appreciate your answer. No I don't get a kick out of stirring people up. Maybe I did when I was 18 back in the 80's, but not anymore. Now I am just interested in what we can do now to make the thing work, because it is failing pretty bad when I see on Steam and a number of platforms where we should be winning, is all.

Back