New Computer. Hard to Install EU

Naithen

Old Alpha
Society
Indy
--Mod's comment--
First few posts of this thread were taken as an off-topic issue from another thread.
--/Mod's comment--

I recently bought a new gaming PC with WINDOWS 8 64 bit+ top gear inside and trying to load and play Entropia was a major pain in the ass! Did I get it to work? Yes of course I did because i am a gamer for +25 years. If I was a potential new customer seeing an add online for Planet Calypso and out of curiosity I try and load it to play it AND I CANT PLAY IT ? My first thought is its a piece of CRAP its not even compatible with win 8? Will I give up and delete it ? Of course I will! So if your not going to make 100% sure new customers can even play your game (MA) how do you expect to attract new customers?

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently bought a new gaming PC with WINDOWS 8 64 bit+ top gear inside and trying to load and play Entropia was a major pain in the ass! Did I get it to work? Yes of course I did because i am a gamer for +25 years. If I was a potential new customer seeing an add online for Planet Calypso and out of curiosity I try and load it to play it AND I CANT PLAY IT ? My first thought is its a piece of CRAP its not even compatible with win 8? Will I give up and delete it ? Of course I will! So if your not going to make 100% sure new customers can even play your game (MA) how do you expect to attract new customers?

I bought one with win 8 64 bit+ top gear and it worked flawlessly in 1 go with no problems at all..

Happened the same with me.

New computer with fresh install of windows 7 64-bits but until I changed the default folder where Entropia is installed, every time the client tried to update it would automatically close.

Looks like a joke but no, it's real! Welcome to our Universe!

The SC that I sent:

2013-12-19 17:56 You wrote:
Hello.

I'm installing the game on a new computer here. The download was from Entropia Universe site.

It's lamme but unfortunately after only 45 m/b of download the client crashed. And it doesn't start again! After the EULA it always crash!

I had to uninstall it and then change the predefined directory where you install the game. Changed it to "Program Files/Entropia Universe" instead of using the predefined one "Program Files(x86)/Entropia Universe".

Any idea of how many potential new players aren't installing the game because of this issue?

Very sad!

Best Regards,
Fanan.

2013-12-19 20:21 Entropia Universe Support:

Hi Head,

Thank you for your report and sharing this information with us. After you changes the predefined directory did EU installed correctly?. We'll forward this to our team for further investigation.

Kind regards,
Entropia Universe Support

See Magyar! Is that my own fault too? Maybe my 1400 euros new computer ins't good enough for Entropia?

The forum is very negative sometimes for a reason! We all love this game, some have invested more others less. If MindArk did their job better like in this situation I bet that the forum would be a little less negative.

You guys remember when Entropia just stopped to work with windows XP? It was almost one week till it was possible to play again.

And the time just after VU10? Man it was like 50 tries till I could login, getting connection timeout almost every time.

RCE game with mobs that don't give loot. Hopefully that we have the shared mobs system for so long time that it doesn't happen anymore!

And the algorithm changes in january 2013? Is just me or the game look like a work more than ever? Even if you being willing to spend hundreds of USD every month?

Negativity doesn't come from nowhere! And every thing have a reason behind!!!

Last edited:
Huh? What does your $1400 computer have to do with this thread?

I vaguely remember talking to you about a computer, but I dont remember the details. Clearly off topic but if you'd like to remind me, I'm all ears.

Please provide the specs on the computer. In 1991 I spent about $1400 on a computer. It is definitely not good enough to play EU, so specs are probably more important than price. :ahh:

I do agree that MA could do a better job sometimes.

EDIT:

OK, context is important. Here's where you explain what happened.

New computer with fresh install of windows 7 64-bits but until I changed the default folder where Entropia is installed, every time the client tried to update it would automatically close.

I appreciate you also included supports reply.

Here's how I interpret this. Ready?

Not anticipating that users would want to customize their setups: MindArk's fault.

Customizing your setup, realizing it didn't work, and not changing it back: Your fault.

50/50.

It had nothing to do with your computer, and to be perfectly frank nothing 'happened' to you, you created a situation quite deliberately, expecting something to work after a customization. It did not work.

I'm guessing you did not change the default directory through the client, but just copy/pasted. That's not how Windows works with any program, and I think you know that.

For example: I decide I dont want my system32 directory under c:\Windows. I would rather have it under c:\configuration files, because well... I just prefer it that way. So I cut and paste them there. It's not Microsofts fault that windows doesnt work, and the only thing I am a victim of is my own silly behavior.

Last edited:
I payed 500 euros and built my own computer, and Eu installed like a dream. (win 7 64 bit). Plays really smoothly too.

--Mod's comment--
First few posts of this thread were taken as an off-topic issue from another thread.
--/Mod's comment--

problem if you use windows 8 enterprise version, they do not have direct x installed. you just need to download direct x. i had same problem

it is not ma problem , just windows enterprise does not go with direct x any more because microsoft thought people who buy enterprise versions does not play games :)

Maybe better to read one more time!

I had to customize in order to play the game that I love!

I puted some words in red for a better understand.

The SC that I sent:

2013-12-19 17:56 You wrote:
Hello.

I'm installing the game on a new computer here. The download was from Entropia Universe site.

It's lamme but unfortunately after only 45 m/b of download the client crashed. And it doesn't start again! After the EULA it always crash!

I had to uninstall it and then change the predefined directory where you install the game. Changed it to "Program Files/Entropia Universe" instead of using the predefined one "Program Files(x86)/Entropia Universe".

Any idea of how many potential new players aren't installing the game because of this issue?

Very sad!

Best Regards,
Fanan.

2013-12-19 20:21 Entropia Universe Support:

Hi Head,

Thank you for your report and sharing this information with us. After you changes the predefined directory did EU installed correctly?. We'll forward this to our team for further investigation.

Kind regards,
Entropia Universe Support

Same here. Vista, win 7, win 8 and win 8.1, no problems at all. If you want, through in XP as a no issue as well. ;) All of these were 32 bit and 64 bit. :)

And I agree that a big problem is direct X. I wish it would be upgraded, but this is a bit of topic! :ahh:

Same here. Vista, win 7, win 8 and win 8.1, no problems at all. If you want, through in XP as a no issue as well. ;) All of these were 32 bit and 64 bit. :)

And I agree that a big problem is direct X. I wish it would be upgraded, but this is a bit of topic! :ahh:

DirectX is a pain. Yes it absolutely should be upgraded!!!

It sounds like there are occasional bugs with the install process. Windows has this too. Its uncommon, but sometimes a patch installs (or even the entire windows OS installs) and afterwards performance is strange, sluggish, and prone to crashing. A reinstall solves this.

Fanan, moving your install directory to the standard Program Files directory and out of the x86 directory seems like it may be a bug with the detection of the 64 bit OS.

The red didn't actually help, btw. Highlighting the section in bold did, though. It brought attention to the core of the problem, bringing it out of the original wall of text, which admittedly was rather lengthy.

Back