Social Interface Improvement Requests after VU 14.6.1

you need to click the channel name, and then you can start typing. if that dont make sense, I will make a SS after work

Thanks, I'll give that a try when I'm ingame tonight :)

-------------------------------

Magyar, you might want to add a link to this threads in Bug Reports:
Loose chat focus on globals

Last edited:
I have this list subbed, and am keeping up on it. I'll probably do updating later next week. I have a grant proposal that was just passed my way and that I need to have completed by Sunday. That's going to take up most of my immediate time.

I'm not ignoring the thread. Just letting folks know that there will be a delay in updating data on primary posts.

Sorry, work first. Play second.

I have no problems with roman numerals myself, usually real-life gunnery use them (Mk. II etc), but I understand some would find typing "socket III c" annoying. Just my II cents :)

You don't have to, you can just type "t III c" or maybe even just "t III".

But yeah decimal system is better.

space waypoints worked correctly for me a few hours ago...but i was passenger...Ill be flying solo later today so I'll double check

Must be buggy then.
Took this this morning

questions.jpg

So, yeah, still some characters break the whole chat, as i mentioned couple times earlier, one of them being character "<" which just fucks up the whole chat and nothing after that character gets displayed anymore.
Need to relog to fix it.
(This being in team names)

And the useless global ticker still doesn't save the treshold in the options, need to change that everytime you relog, and i need to relog a shitton with this chat.
Yeah, gonna check back in a couple of VU's again.

Another thing:
When someone applies to your soc, it gets mixed up there between all the "entering LA" and other stuff easily, so it's quite easy to accidentally accept someone into your soc when clicking all that nonsense away.
And after you reject that application, it won't go away, it'll stay there forever always telling you that there's a new application.

Chat window shrinks (width) after each login.

It would be nice if your option preferences were save along with the size of the chat window.

I have set the filter for the pop-up banner every time I login but it is never saved and I have to re-set each time.

Also the size of the chat window is reduced by about 5%. I didn't resize it and logged out and then back in and sure enough it got even smaller. I wonder if I never re-sized it would eventually disappear.

So, yeah, still some characters break the whole chat, as i mentioned couple times earlier, one of them being character "<" which just fucks up the whole chat and nothing after that character gets displayed anymore.
Need to relog to fix it.
(This being in team names)

And the useless global ticker still doesn't save the treshold in the options, need to change that everytime you relog, and i need to relog a shitton with this chat.
Yeah, gonna check back in a couple of VU's again.

It's probably being used as a formatter - <i> or <b>. In other systems using it twice allows it work.

Is there a reason for the FL when opened always starts at the bottom of the first page ????? This is very annoying to have to scroll up every single time, at least for me.

In the past, you were only given a notification if there was a bid on an auction for which you had been the high bidder. Now, you get a notification even if you hadn't been the high bidder. The old way made much more sense, and we should have an option to toggle this at the very least.

In the past, you were only given a notification if there was a bid on an auction for which you had been the high bidder. Now, you get a notification even if you hadn't been the high bidder. The old way made much more sense, and we should have an option to toggle this at the very least.

I have not been a bidder on an item in a long time (usually try to find one for a buy-out) but if they notify you each time there is a bid on the item you have bid on (like history of bids) it would save you from having to check the AU to see what the current high bid is just in case you are still interested in the item. If that is how they are doing it that might be all right IMO.

I have not been a bidder on an item in a long time (usually try to find one for a buy-out) but if they notify you each time there is a bid on the item you have bid on (like history of bids) it would save you from having to check the AU to see what the current high bid is just in case you are still interested in the item. If that is how they are doing it that might be all right IMO.
Sure, but when you expand the item's entry in your notifications, it shows you the entire bid history. It could just update the history there instead of giving you a blinking notification. If there have been 10 bids in between my bid and the current one, I'm most likely not interested and updating the bid history would be more than sufficient.

Both valid points, if it were up to me, i'd have it notify me when someone outbids me, and then keep updating that item in the message log, whenever someone else makes a bid (not giving a notification on updates, unless sold, for buyout for example.).

Call me a loudmouth, but I find it extremely annoying we can only type so few characters per message. This problem is compounded by the fact that we're allowed to continue typing, but unable to send the message, and forced into edit-mode where we're left guessing how much of our thought needs to be copy/pasted into the next.

If anything, this Social UI update has made me less social. Rei makes a lot of good points, too.

Call me a loudmouth, but I find it extremely annoying we can only type so few characters per message. This problem is compounded by the fact that we're allowed to continue typing, but unable to send the message, and forced into edit-mode where we're left guessing how much of our thought needs to be copy/pasted into the next.

If anything, this Social UI update has made me less social. Rei makes a lot of good points, too.
That, indeed, is very annoying, but if they do now use IRC server for the chat, as it would appear very much (has it been confirmed for real yet? It may not be IRC based even though it seems very, very similar).
So we know that client can send, by default on IRC servers 500-len(target) bytes of text, but only (498-len(target)-len(senders_ident+host)) gets through, and i just tested, i was only able to send 150 characters (unicode?), still seems rather low number... then again, don't know how they define user's ident (nick most probably) and host (IP maybe) and the target (channel, could be in fact something like "Chat_Society_#societyname" or what ever internally.
Someone could go try all kinds of combinations out and figure out the length of different variables :p

And back to the main point, yes, they should atleast inform when you can't send anymore characters, and the lines are way too short (maybe limited by the game/server though, for spam reasons, but this imho could be removed in soc chat and private chat).
There's always ignore now :)

Edit: Just tried on a custom channel and was again capped at 150 characters, so, guess there is a cap :p
And could only send 129 characters in private message to myself.

Just tried on a custom channel and was again capped at 150 characters
Could it be a "normalization" to "social UI's" like SMS message length (that in turn twitter is based on)?

Whatever the reason, it's buggy and bloody annoying. That MA hasn't fixed it yet suggests what priority this bug has relative the "every global, even 5-pedders, steals focus" (that bug strangely enough got a fix within days).

While on this subject, perhaps it's time to make mouse wheel scroll more than a few pixels in the Settings/HUD page, that you have to access after every bloody login to change the limit from default to 2k PED. In addition, that setting should be persistent.

Yes, that's incredibly annoying, I find myself retyping last third of a message all the time. I could live with 250 characters limit, as I live with it on IRC (as 2-bytes encodings halve irc's 512 bytes limit) but 150 is a joke. That's why I've never understood this twitter thing :)

Yes, that's incredibly annoying, I find myself retyping last third of a message all the time.
Ditto, and it's driving me... annoyed (to be polite - i reality I'm currently pissed off).

I could live with 250 characters limit, as I live with it on IRC (as 2-bytes encodings halve irc's 512 bytes limit) but 150 is a joke. That's why I've never understood this twitter thing :)
It should be noted that on IRC you don't use UTS-2 (old Windows NT hard-coded encoding, as it "should be enough", called UNICODE in Microsoft-land), but generally UTF-8. If what you type is entirely within the 7-bit range of (generally) ISO-8859.1, you get 1 char = 1 glyph.

Ditto, and it's driving me... annoyed (to be polite - i reality I'm currently pissed off).

It should be noted that on IRC you don't use UTS-2 (old Windows NT hard-coded encoding, as it "should be enough", called UNICODE in Microsoft-land), but generally UTF-8. If what you type is entirely within the 7-bit range of (generally) ISO-8859.1, you get 1 char = 1 glyph.

What did he say :scratch2:

Sure, but when you expand the item's entry in your notifications, it shows you the entire bid history. It could just update the history there instead of giving you a blinking notification. If there have been 10 bids in between my bid and the current one, I'm most likely not interested and updating the bid history would be more than sufficient.

Yep. The big thing is how large the post is and if there is 3 or 4 it takes 5 minutes to close them all and especially when you open the window it ALWAY STARTS AT THE BOTTOM!!!!!:mad: Just Stupid, REAL STUPID!!!!!

Please with todays update get rid of the annoying tutorials. Also I find this new interface has kind of shut up our |Society, guess we are confused with using it :(

I thought the whole point of setting ourselves as AFK or in DND mode was so that people couldn't actually PM us directly but would have to leave a message for us to read when available. I still keep getting PMs both from people on my FL and not, so I need never actually bother to set a status.

Also, I'd like to be able to view someone's profile by right clicking on their name in chat or on their actual avatar. I can view their Achievements and Soc info so why not their profile and biography?

Please with todays update get rid of the annoying tutorials. Also I find this new interface has kind of shut up our |Society, guess we are confused with using it :(

same with our soc
we stopped typing due that nonsence restrictions of characters without a warning message:mad:
that NEW "social" UI made us un-social after all ;/

I thought the whole point of setting ourselves as AFK or in DND mode was so that people couldn't actually PM us directly but would have to leave a message for us to read when available. I still keep getting PMs both from people on my FL and not, so I need never actually bother to set a status.

Also, I'd like to be able to view someone's profile by right clicking on their name in chat or on their actual avatar. I can view their Achievements and Soc info so why not their profile and biography?

Yeah and on right click "whisper this person" should be an option that brings avatar name into whisper in chat !

Yep. The big thing is how large the post is and if there is 3 or 4 it takes 5 minutes to close them all and especially when you open the window it ALWAY STARTS AT THE BOTTOM!!!!!:mad: Just Stupid, REAL STUPID!!!!!
Friends list also always starts at the bottom, and that one I find particularly bothersome.

Don't know if this will help but I created a SOC tab with just soc, PMs, system and globals (gbls to gz my soc m8s) this seemed to help me. Only thing is if you don't have local box checked when you login and click on the tab you can not type anything in because there is nothing there, you have to open the tab un-check soc and then re-check the box so it will show. Another STUPID thing.

Please change back the color of people's names in chats to green and or add option for us to change it plus make it bold/add shadow. It's really hard to read people's names when you got fade-on enabled.

Also changing text size should only affect the chat window you have opened, so if you have multiple chat windows it should remain with default one.

Also when you got fade-on enabled in chat UI settings, when its in focus the big border shows up, that shouldn't happen if we don't want to. So my suggestion is highlight it some other way that takes minimal space.

It should be possible to copy from message center.

Back