Need some help please - PC issue?

Jas

Old Alpha
Society
Shaolin
Jar Jasis Sismondi
Since about an hour ago, when I switched on the PC, I am getting an error, not only for EU but also for other games installed on the D drive.

The path on D does exist - I can navigate to it and double-click the loader - same error.

Anyone have any ideas, please?

Thanks a lot,
Jar

Do you have more then one physical disk drive? If yes, your secondary drive could have a big problem. If you have only one HDD or SSD, the problem can probably be solved.

Please check in explorer if you can access your secondary partition or disk drive.
If so, perhaps the letter (D: ) changed ?

Reactions: Jas
check cables from motherboard to "D" drive - i presume your C and D Drives are separate devices and not a partitioned single drive. Open the PC, When you boot the pc touch the D drive - if it is working you will feel the motor spinning

Reactions: Jas
Do you have more then one physical disk drive? If yes, your secondary drive could have a big problem. If you have only one HDD or SSD, the problem can probably be solved.

Please check in explorer if you can access your secondary partition or disk drive.
If so, perhaps the letter (D: ) changed ?

check cables from motherboard to "D" drive - i presume your C and D Drives are separate devices and not a partitioned single drive. Open the PC, When you boot the pc touch the D drive - if it is working you will feel the motor spinning

Thanks for the tips.

1. I can open the D drive - a separate cabled SSD - in File Explorer and see all my files etc including the path to EU. None of the installed applications work - all have the same error.
2. On the same D drive, if I double-click a PDF file then I get the same error from Adobe Acrobat.
3. On the same D drive, I can double-click a JPG file and this opens fine.
4. Chkdsk shows no issues for the D drive.

:scratch:

Check your windows path variable.

I would also be suspicious as to why it got corrupted.
Virus or HDD failing?
ROCK

Last edited:
Check your windows path variable.

I would also be suspicious as to why it got corrupted.
Virus or HDD failing?
ROCK

Good tip, thanks Rock. Question, should the PATH variable contain the full path to the location of the Entropia binaries? I don't see this. Should I add the missing d: paths? note: Added the bin32 and bin64 Entropia directories to PATH. Restarted and verified via "Set" in cmd. Path now updated but issue still persists.

HDD or Virus? Well. AVG is not reporting any issues. I downloaded and installed the Tracker client from EL a few days back..

Appreciate your help!

Last edited:
I'd check the file security, owner and access privileges. Windows update has been messing about my drives that way, but I dont know what happens. You could try running EU in admin mode, just for the test.

In hardware I would swap the SATA cable to a different port and let windows find it again.
Rock

Update:

1. Workaround - Reinstalled EU on the C partition. Same for a few other games. All working fine. I can play EU again:yay:
2. Ran AVG Deep Scan all drives (took hours) - no issues found.
3. Windows update applied (automatically) - issues still persisted "Windows cannot find" etc when clicking on Word, Excel, PDF files.
4. Update AVG Tuneup and ran it - issues still persisted "Windows cannot find" etc when clicking on Word, Excel, PDF files
5. As a test, reinstalled Abobe Acrobat reader - issues still persisted "Windows cannot find" etc when clicking on Word, Excel, PDF files
6. Started machine this morning and suddenly I can now open Word, Excel, PDF files.

Summary:
"Seems" to be working as normal now. I have no idea why:laugh:

Thanks to all the members for their help and recommendations.

so basically turning on and off for the xth time worked :)

don't tell me you had "Plandemic" movie on that drive. I heard things. microsoft is evil. so is google suddenly they have been told they can do whatever the hell they want no one will be able to do anything. not even jokin

edit: I just updated my win 10 machine...not like i had a choice...went to look up: theres some kind of panic to make you download the latest update over an issue called "eternal darkness" ... i can't believe how blatant they are... linux looks better everyday now.

Last edited:
Back