Merging melee professions / skills

Status
Clubs - Merge away. Clubs are so undeveloped after so long, it might actually help.

Blades - Please don't merge Long and Short. This takes the simplifying too far.

:beerchug:

Miles

Hmm it is realy a hard one.

Somehow i like the way it is now. While i sure would be happy about merged skills and being able to use bigger blades (if merging means kinda adding up the skills in both areas not taking average :D) . On the other hand i dont like the trend of simplifying the game more and more.

I think the main problem of melee hunting is not having too many different categories, but that u can´t hunt eco with melee weapons unless u have very high skills or u invest in some blade with several k peds tt value plus MU.

A better way to increase the number of melee users would be to change the system so that L melee weapons have some kind of structural integrity like vehicles next to its tt value. A kind of sharpening tool needed to get tt up again after hunt while it looses "SI" during sharpening and becomes useless after some time.

But I dont know how this would change the value of ul sib melee. It may increase the value due to more skilled melee hunters or go down due to being similarly eco with L weapons anyway. One thing im sure of is that L melee weapons in loot would make more sense as one could sell it with higher MU. Atm i think most L melee weapons end in tt.

Merging the LB/SB professions is not a good idea, imo. I personally believe that would ideally be equivalent to merging the rifle/hg skill or dodge/evade skills... etc...
The diversity and somewhat complex nature of the skill system in EU is a good thing. Over-simplifying this is detrimental.
What happened with mining was borderline, don't cross it by making this move!

I don't see any noticeable issues with merging the club professions, on the other hand (excuse the pun, hehe).

I don't particularly care about 1h+2h clubs.. I doubt many do considering how few clubs exist and how few people have skilled it.. When you get to lb+sb I think people will start to really get upset.. some people have invest a lot of peds in skilling a specific one and buying expensive UL weapons of one or the other.. If you continue it further to HG+rifle, blp+lwt.. etc. etc.. I think you will really be pissing a lot of people off and changing the foundation of the game. One of the great things about EU is the complexity, so be careful how much you dumb it down. Learn from SOE's mistakes.

I don't see the value in this. And i think you will piss people off who currently use the skills/weapons as there will be people who feel they lose out by the change.

It looks like people who dont use clubs think they should be changed. I do use 1H club and I like it the way it is thanks. If I want to to use 2H club I'll go out and skill up and enjoy the process.

Please spend your time in otherways than implementing this change. There's plenty for you to do without unnecessary tinkering of this sort.

Regards,
KikkiJikki

Personally I would gain on a merger of the skills. But I cant see te benefits for entropia as whole with this. Sure I can agree with what was said in a few posts above that it could give clubs a push forward.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think merging would only help you... Look at example lets say you have 5k (150ped TT) skills of longblades and 2k(11.6ped TT) shortblades. That would result in 161.6 peds of "new" skill (only if new skill % contribution would be same as long/shortblades). If it's done this way it would be a great change in my opinion. But if merging means making average of those 2 skills it would be a big nerf (80.8ped TT). So we need to know what merging really means.

As the title suggests I've been thinking about merging one/two handed clubber to a single profession and skill. The same goes for longblades and shortblades.

Is this something you would like or not?

bad idea, leave as it is please. i feel it would decrease my total skills

On a personal level, the choice won't effect me - I still think simplification for the sake of simplicity is a poor choice.

I remember (about 10 years ago, before WoW, ect) reading a bunch of interesting articles about psychology in games and how it plays in MMOs. (The term was still shiny and new.) The relevant piece was discussing how many people 'say' they want simplicity in games, but only 'stay' with those that are complex. The main focus was DnD (pen & paper RPG) vs. competitors. It highlighted how much more complex DnD was, and how people assumed it would be a turn off to new players, but how in reality, those people that were even moderately interested took the time to learn while enjoying the challenge and got an emotionally rewarding feeling of mastery.

I really wish I knew where these articles are, (I found them through a person who's now dead) but even without the citation, hopefully, you'll understand the principle.

It looks like people who dont use clubs think they should be changed. I do use 1H club and I like it the way it is thanks. If I want to to use 2H club I'll go out and skill up and enjoy the process.

a lot of folks that use the clubs use other melee weapons too...

Yes im working on fist weapons, ive made 20 of them already.

Finally .. I hope there are some UL options in there and enough availbility to keep the skill flowing , thank you for sharing this info.

Personally I do not care if you merge one and two handed clubs , though I do not own either and would think that those whom have skilled it have more say than I.

I do not think it is wise to mess with merging the longblade and shortblade professions , though it would help me.

I have chosen my own skilling path and would not appreciate someone handing out to others the rewards that I have worked to attain.

I play EU for its growing complexity , please do not make it generic.

Bones

No, I wasn't too keen on the merging of bombs and probes either and the effect on amps and tools. More diversity is good not less, you might be able to get away with merging clubs since there isn't much for clubs out there yet anyway, but merging longblades/shortblades/powerfists etc would be a mistake imo even though it would probably benefit me.

If you want more people to melee, work on melee amps to reduce the inefficiency of using any melee weapon that you pay more than 105% for. For point 2, do you think it is preferable that people don't sell things on auction or trade them for items they prefer to use?

I already left one game after they decided to completely rework their system for the 30th time and that time take Agility away from plate armor because "you shouldn't need a spreadsheet to figure out what items are best".

As the title suggests I've been thinking about merging one/two handed clubber to a single profession and skill. The same goes for longblades and shortblades.

Clubs for sure.

Longblades/Shortblades is a bit more controversial. Personally I wouldn't care as long as the skills are merged in a fair way (ie. My new 'Blades' skill should have the same ESI-value as the ESI-value of my Shortblades plus the ESI-value of my Longblades). Ultimately though, whilst I think the idea of decluttering various things where it doesn't reduce gameplay depth is good (mining and refiner changes were good imo), in this case I think there's higher priority stuff out there. For instance, if you'd posed the question "Shall I bring back beacons?", I doubt you'd find a single person saying no ;)

A unanimous decision from us merging of clubs, leave LB and SB well alone.
So get to work Kim, I want to try those new PF's your working on asap :D

I would merge clubs and leave long and shortblades separated.

The only significant skill difference (more than 1%) in the two clubs professions is 7% light (or heavy) melee weapons in the (hit) profession. I would do one of the following with that:

A. Use heavy melee weapons for clubs. Then there will be three professions that use light melee, and two that use heavy.
B. Merge light and heavy melee weapons skills together (summed tt values of course), so that all melee hit professions use this one skill called 'melee weapons'. This will give a partial merge to the (hit) professions of long and shortblades, for example.

Between A and B, I'm not sure which I like better. I guess it depends on what the future holds for melee weapons; if the future looks similar to the present, I'd do B. If the future looks more diversified, I'd choose A.

Of course, I've not yet unlocked Martial Arts, so my opinion is more from a structural perspective and less from a grinder's or market watcher's perspective.

I like your approach of asking the (experienced) community for their input on some of these platform issues.

N.

Please leave longblades and shortblades alone. Fundamentally these are different weapons and in the future could be developed separately to include different specialty moves. Long blades for swinging, short blades for quick stabs.

Clubs are by and large the same, whether they're long or short you hold them at an angle and bash someone with it. Unless youre a ninja. Then you swing them around on a short chain and hurt your own kidneys and elbows.

Only one Word: YES

Go Melee Go, go go :yay::yay::yay::yay:

Very well it seems as if most people think that merging the clubs would be a good idea and that the longblades / shortblades should be left alone. Ill suggest this at the next design meeting.

Thanks everyone!

I would NOT merge the 2 skills. As said before the choice is part of this game and part of the challenge. Choose the wrong skill to increase and you have to start over again for the other skill. Want to use that uber short blade but don't have the skills for it, there's a reason to go and gain some shortblade skills.

Kim, I agree that you guys need to keep looking at things like this to evolve the game, but I think long/short blades is not the way to go.

Part of what attracts people to this game is the huge amount of choices you have and skills you can gather, by combining them (and I'm sure this will not be the last one once you do this) you take away a part of that.

I even did not like that you combined Light and Medium ammo, sure it was basically the same, but a hand gun and rifle just do not use the same ammo and a longblade and a shortblade are very different weapons with different skillsets.

Ok, my vote:

Clubs: Yes please merge them.

SB/LB: Yes if the value of the skills get summarized; No if the value of the skills get averaged.

Cheers Lak

OH, and I think it is very refreshing that you ask our opinion on this. Keep up the good work !

I'm not much of a melee user, so I kinda should not participate in this discussion. But to me just 3 categories, like sharp weapons/blunt weapons/fist weapons, or something like that seems ok.

Will the points be added together? IE, say i have 5000 longblade points and 5000 shortblade points, following the merge my overall skill points be 10000 and therefore i can use higher skilled weapons, or how will it work?

Of course not like that. More like, if you check with chipping tool what would be TT of the shortblade implant if you extract all of that 5000 (and in this case no 10% reduction), then check with same tool what would be the new LB skill points after inserting implant with that TT. Thats sounds fair to me at least. MA naturally can do this to all in one big batch run.

(But someone mentioned merging plasma to laser or blp ....noooooo!!! :silly2: )

Last edited:
OH, and I think it is very refreshing that you ask our opinion on this. Keep up the good work !

I totaly second that! It is a refreshing change to see that you are activly involving the paticipants opinions. Is this a new era?
You should have done a poll tbh ;)

Awsome invovlement and good comunication - gold star to Kim lol

Last edited:
Now that I'm thinking about it, I think merging would only help you... Look at example lets say you have 5k (150ped TT) skills of longblades and 2k(11.6ped TT) shortblades. That would result in 161.6 peds of "new" skill (only if new skill % contribution would be same as long/shortblades). If it's done this way it would be a great change in my opinion. But if merging means making average of those 2 skills it would be a big nerf (80.8ped TT). So we need to know what merging really means.

has to be added... couldnt average

I would say I don't give a dam about the clubs, but please leave SB/LB alone...leave them alone!!!:cry:

I vote yes for both ^^

Very well it seems as if most people think that merging the clubs would be a good idea and that the longblades / shortblades should be left alone. Ill suggest this at the next design meeting.

Thanks everyone!

Ok..But bring up amps for melee weapons maybe?..That would be Great!! :D

Ok..But bring up amps for melee weapons maybe?..That would be Great!! :D

yes... as far as merger... cool
but amps are most important... and were promised to us MANY years ago

if not amps some sharpening device... that helps melee users infict more dmg when attached...

yes... as far as merger... cool
but amps are most important... and were promised to us MANY years ago

if not amps some sharpening device... that helps melee users infict more dmg when attached...
how about a new type of weapon... the laser swords already have a heck of a powerful light source in them... amplify it so that it uses weapon cells... so no more changing to sword when mob come up close, just shoot em with your sword and make it so that when they get to within reaching distance you just keep start swinging it like a melee weapon.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Staff_weapon

250px-Staffweapon.jpg

It'd give the melee users a use for the ammo they loot. ;)

I'm actually surprised this sort of thing isn't in game already since some mention of using a rifle as a melee weapon was indirectly in one of the Arkadia backstories I think.

http://www.entropiaplanets.com/wiki/Planet_Arkadia_Storyline
Taka smashed the butt of her weapon into the face an Oratan that appeared before her, knocking the creature off the wall into the masses below.

Oh, and of course we need bayonets! :)
http://www.entropiaplanets.com/forums/threads/bayonets.4445/

another interesting thread on all of this from a while back..
http://www.arkadiaforum.com/showthread.php?299-New-Melee-types-of-moves

Last edited:
how about a new type of weapon... the laser swords already have a heck of a powerful light source in them... amplify it so that it uses weapon cells... so no more changing to sword when mob come up close, just shoot em with your sword and make it so that when they get to within reaching distance you just keep start swinging it like a melee weapon.

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Staff_weapon

250px-Staffweapon.jpg

works for me...
i am just excited that MA is finally looking to improve the melee section of the game...
very encouraging

Status
Back