Question: After ghost, phantom? boar?

bass

Guardian
Society
NBK Elite Miners
Bass Rockabilly Master
I currently use ghost + 5b (what a strange thing uh :) ).

I'm considering to buy (piece by piece, when HoFs allow it) something better (UL of course)... but being the markup on Jag and better armors completely beyond my budget, just two remain: phantom and boar (no drones).

Would you recommend one or the other? Or none? I mainly mine, but I also like to hunt sometimes (laser pistoleer 41, evader 17).

unless you're a hardcore hunter, there's really no good reason to not take advantage of (L) armour while it remains low markup

between jag/tiger/boar/and martial, you could put together an effective (albeit ugly) set for practically TT

A set of vigi + 6a might also be a good idea as it will allow you to hunt bots...

it depends really

If u primarily mine, you have to consider the mobs u will likely face where u mine. Ghost +5b should be fine for most places - and for most drones - any armor and 6a is enough to survive.

It seems u miss to give us the reason for ur wanting to upgrade.

If you want to be a "tough and cool" avatar, youll have to decide what armor makes you that...

If u want a nice cheap allround armor, usefull to a miner, id suggest bear/boar/tiger/jaguar/e-mine/martial Limited. These can be bought at near tt price, and have better eco than their UL counterparts. (at no markup)

If u want to hunt i suggest you check the armor vs mob tool on entropedia, to see which armor is most eco, and cheapest to buy, for the mobs u hunt.

Also consider that some of the low end UL sets might be a risky investment - they might loose the last bit of MU they have, and u might end up selling at tt...

I went from ghost to Phantom and have been very pleased with it as I mostly hunt.

If you like ghost, you'll love phantom :D

But yeah, (L) armours are great too.

Thanks you all for the comments.

Reason for upgrading is to survive with higher mobs, both for hunting them or to mine under their feet :) Most of times I mine without armor, I can deal with up to atrox provider or ambu young, healing with EMT2600. I'd like an armor that lets me cope with Ambu Provider or bigger Furor, for example, I now struggle/succumb with ghost+5b.

I see phantom is dropping its MU, but mine doesn't want to be an investment, I know that anything not uber looses its value, with time.

I'll seriously consider the L option as some suggested, though.

Last edited:
I don't want to be caught offguard.. I want to stay alive. That's why I use bear/boar + 5b. Unlike ghost you actually stay alive in a mix of mobs and bigger bots. You mention you use ek-2600, so you will stay alive most of the time anyway, but to actually fire a shot while you are being mobbed by multiple incoming drones/droka is hard in ghost. With bear/boar that problem is fixed.
you loose the electric protection though.. but I have never died from an electric mob, because they don't come in packs and have low agrro anyway.

If your goal is to be able to do bigger mobs, then I think the phantom is for you.

After Ghost there is only one choice to upgrade, and this is PIXIE :D

Consider downgrading, free up some peds and use your evade skills to compensate...

Will cost less in the long run...

I'd stick with your ghost+5b's...

for (L) above ghost at a decent price, the right mix of Jag/Martial/eMine set ought to be relatively cheap and effective! ;)

and if you decide to upgrade your unlimited armor, go for phantom! it's cheaper than boar and more effective (for most situations) :D

I currently use ghost + 5b (what a strange thing uh :) ).

I'm considering to buy (piece by piece, when HoFs allow it) something better (UL of course)... but being the markup on Jag and better armors completely beyond my budget, just two remain: phantom and boar (no drones).

Would you recommend one or the other? Or none? I mainly mine, but I also like to hunt sometimes (laser pistoleer 41, evader 17).

Mix of cheap L parts is the best (like martial harnes etc.)

i would stay in Ghost and buy Evade/dodge and other skills related to those prof.

I have been gathering eMINE PG armor, stats are great, price is low, tt is low.

seems to me like a great all round armor.. im taking that instead of ghost

i would stay in Ghost and buy Evade/dodge and other skills related to those prof.

Thats the path to get for now in that case...
You evade is very low , so , if you upgrade armor you will only decay more for not much advantage...
Increase your evade for some time , and wonder about ugrade armor a bit latter.
For now , you can make yourself a mix set with jag , tiger , martial ( there is some other) L amor that cost TT... its good enought for 1 hunt here or there for fun , and will let you play time you increase your evade(some chip or big skilling)...

Gremlin all the way.
Will be suitable for you to hunt mobs in your range.

More eco than ghost
Good all around armor
Not so common as ghost

Last edited:
jeah grem 5b way best upgrade from ghost when u got some evade and first aid :D

with level 17 evader even ghost is quite big armor. Bigger armor means constant ped drain unless you have appropriate HP and evade. Just don`t run here afterwards saying that loot sucks and not mentionining that your phantom and 5B plates decay 40 peds on 200 ped ammo on big atrox or something... Just a reminder...

Evader

About evade skill.

I understand its importance; as I mentioned, I often mine without armor, and that means being hit a lot. But evade skill is actually very SLOW.

Beside chipping in, of course, what is the best practice for skilling evade? Hunting daikiba/bery naked ad swamp, maybe punching them with TT EnKnuckles-A?

Beside chipping in, of course, what is the best practice for skilling evade? Hunting daikiba/bery naked ad swamp, maybe punching them with TT EnKnuckles-A?

Killing massive amounts of merp/tantillion with grenade launchers :D

Killing massive amounts of merp/tantillion with grenade launchers :D
Lol, didn't expect any other answer from you! :D

But yes, lots of low damage high aggro mobs is one of the quickest ways to do it at the expense of armour decay. Pixie/Gnome/Goblin plus 2/3/5A plates (if needed) are popular choices.

Baby Berys and Daiks with tt melee weapons is also good though :)

Consider downgrading, free up some peds and use your evade skills to compensate...

Will cost less in the long run...
Yep... Perhaps try some of the specialty low armor...

Gremlin +5b works well on CP I hear. Also, gremlin has a lot better durability than ghost for traditional hunting. Take that a few steps further if you dare, and add 3b instead of 5b so that your plates have more durability too.

Yep... Perhaps try some of the specialty low armor...

Gremlin +5b works well on CP I hear. Also, gremlin has a lot better durability than ghost for traditional hunting. Take that a few steps further if you dare, and add 3b instead of 5b so that your plates have more durability too.

You do know that 1000 more durability is only a 1% increase in decay right?

The affect of durability is puny.

i got rid of ghost and its terrible decay several years ago, ive had the same ul armor ever since. bear. underated, under used, bear is a great alternative. i have hunted almost every mob in bear and 5b/6a and it has done very well for me. with recent market flux, the cost has come down quite a bit, making bear an affordable alternative to the more expensive boar and phantom. it offerers slightly less protection than the other two, but ive hunted toe to toe with others in phantom and boar, with little to no problem.
just my two pec :)

I don't want to be caught offguard.. I want to stay alive. That's why I use bear/boar + 5b. Unlike ghost you actually stay alive in a mix of mobs and bigger bots. You mention you use ek-2600, so you will stay alive most of the time anyway, but to actually fire a shot while you are being mobbed by multiple incoming drones/droka is hard in ghost. With bear/boar that problem is fixed.
you loose the electric protection though.. but I have never died from an electric mob, because they don't come in packs and have low agrro anyway.

If your goal is to be able to do bigger mobs, then I think the phantom is for you.

Tezlapods?

To the OP: Boar will give you same protection as ghost + more protection from bots.

About evade skill.

I understand its importance; as I mentioned, I often mine without armor, and that means being hit a lot. But evade skill is actually very SLOW.

Well thats why its quite expensive and very important skill, its not easy to skill up w/o cycling large sums on a daily basis.

I actually did go from ghost to gremlin, and i've never regretted it.

Well thats why its quite expensive and very important skill, its not easy to skill up w/o cycling large sums on a daily basis.

Head north of Troy.. nice little bunch of mobs there to practice melee. Also, if you don't have the TP yet, go get EOS, and Athena Space Base which is next to it. Lots of foul there, but that's not a good place to get tons of skills since the population is rather sparse.

One thing I do on ocassion is to find a revive somewhere far away from most other avatars, and then drag a mob train a few hundred feet from the revive. Now you have a nice personal training ground to sweat, and skill evade, and maybe even healing skills if you want. When you get done skilling, go ahead and kill em with the shortblade or longblade of your choice. Be sure to wear no armor so you don't have extra decay you don't need.

You do know that 1000 more durability is only a 1% increase in decay right?
That may be, but the overkill decay makes a lot of difference at the repair terminal in ghost vs gremlin on little mobs.

Next Armor?

Lol, didn't expect any other answer from you! :D

But yes, lots of low damage high aggro mobs is one of the quickest ways to do it at the expense of armour decay. Pixie/Gnome/Goblin plus 2/3/5A plates (if needed) are popular choices.

Baby Berys and Daiks with tt melee weapons is also good though :)

Gremlin, unless your ped card can afford something much higher, and even if so, there are lots of us who still switch to gremlin depending upon the mobs we hunt due to its eco.

Cheers

Back