Developer Notes #10 - Galactic Transport

When i played starwars galaxies and this interplanetary auction came to be, it was all good

No Offense...but you are speaking of a failed game, and a change they made prior to failure.

I am skeptical, but I think mainly because MA rarely has flawless bug free releases of any concept. And often before they are all addressed, the next concept takes stage.

The auction is the single most potentially devastating concept they could change, in light of the delicate balance of RCE. Not that I think this will be devastating, I just hope they spent the time and research into the possible effects far more than waiting to see them.

Will be interesting to see, and hopefully some new opportunities for all.

I think you NOT live on Ark. No choices often. One or two lots, or no resources - is normal state.

Demand is arbiter, therefore I see how many sales I have, and on difference of prices I can found in AH and in my Shop.

And I think you are NOT very observant. Who's resources do you think you are buying? Look at the seller every so often. I am one of the reasons lots exist on Ark. And mostly the lowest BO to move some inventory.

Sadly, there is not enough demand on Ark so I post batches of 50 - 100 knowing they will likely take a week to sell. I've seen you hit the BO on many of my auctions or it would take even longer. The rest goes to Caly otherwise I could perhaps make one run a day on Ark, TT half of it and hope to hell the rest sells within the next week. Ark economy is not viable ATM even with people like you who are dedicated to the planet.

You are correct, demand is the arbiter. How do I try to stimulate some demand? I try to keep prices low...on Ark. That said, once resource prices become uneconomical, it goes to Caly.

All that said, Neil has every right to run his business as he see fit. As do you and I.

CO

Pirates beware.. We have Waffles!

Okay now I see only one quesiton I have to ask.. and this is a scenario that I'm looking at..

Let's say you are moving a Non Lootable through space via the container system.. and it gets looted... an tthe person who loots your container gets it, Does this mean that if he delivers it to you , the fee is his/ Cause i can see how now a pirate hunter would be viable..

Let's say Person A orders a gun and pays the fees... It's loaded onto a ship, then player B (a pirate) comes along and destroys the cargo ship, and gets the contaier that person A paid for..If he delivers it to the planet in question he gets the fee and not the mother ship ower correct?

But then let's say Person C, (A Pirate hunter) Can find and intercept player B's ship (Quad, Sleipo or whatever) , and kill him and loot him, and delieve the goods to the final destiniation... doe s this mean that C gets the reward?:scratch2:

I could see some positives an dnegatives here..

The Positive I see is that this will get more people into space.. but the downside is that there probably could be loopholes where you have teams of Pirates and Pirate hunters in the same group.. thus the pirate hunter who is on the same team shoots down his partner the pirates and then delivers the goods and gets the reward..

This it seems is the only thing I could see wrong with this..

Otehrwise unless someone else finds a loophole to this this could get interesting..

Or as I say, Evil beware.. We hae waffles (and they are damn tasty, especially with syrup..

Benjamin Ben Coyote9 (Pilot Callsign) "Coyote"
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper"

...your explanation...
All that said, Neil has every right to run his business as he see fit. As do you and I.
CO

That is why I am glad that I maybe can buy resources without your mediation in future ;)

Okay now I see only one quesiton I have to ask.. and this is a scenario that I'm looking at..

Let's say you are moving a Non Lootable through space via the container system.. and it gets looted... an tthe person who loots your container gets it, Does this mean that if he delivers it to you , the fee is his/ Cause i can see how now a pirate hunter would be viable..

Let's say Person A orders a gun and pays the fees... It's loaded onto a ship, then player B (a pirate) comes along and destroys the cargo ship, and gets the contaier that person A paid for..If he delivers it to the planet in question he gets the fee and not the mother ship ower correct?

But then let's say Person C, (A Pirate hunter) Can find and intercept player B's ship (Quad, Sleipo or whatever) , and kill him and loot him, and delieve the goods to the final destiniation... doe s this mean that C gets the reward?:scratch2:

I could see some positives an dnegatives here..

The Positive I see is that this will get more people into space.. but the downside is that there probably could be loopholes where you have teams of Pirates and Pirate hunters in the same group.. thus the pirate hunter who is on the same team shoots down his partner the pirates and then delivers the goods and gets the reward..

This it seems is the only thing I could see wrong with this..

Otehrwise unless someone else finds a loophole to this this could get interesting..

Or as I say, Evil beware.. We hae waffles (and they are damn tasty, especially with syrup..

Benjamin Ben Coyote9 (Pilot Callsign) "Coyote"
a.k.a. "The Blind Sniper"

The missions will only contain empty boxes so nothing except for an empty box worth a few Ped can be looted. All items will be delivered in time without any risk.

I fully agree with this.

I am skeptical, but I think mainly because MA rarely has flawless bug free releases of any concept. And often before they are all addressed, the next concept takes stage.

The auction is the single most potentially devastating concept they could change, in light of the delicate balance of RCE. Not that I think this will be devastating, I just hope they spent the time and research into the possible effects far more than waiting to see them.

All of you are speculating and extrapolating on a huge feature which will certainly also bring the usual rate of bugs, where all of you should know that it is us the players who are each time paying for those bugs lasting for months.

Fix all the bugs in the new interface (and THERE ARE REALLY A LOT) should be a priority.
how many of them have been fixed since it was implemented,
honnestly quite nothing.

And new features have already been added between, like the so called Taming back.

I can't believe there are so many blind and naive people.

Laugh today, cry tomorrow.

Yes someone here mentioned a noobot idea another game had, and I think it is the same idea....

When you claim your package as the delivery driver so to speak, your package can be stolen, and redeemed for the reward on delivery. I do not think it matters who started the job, only who delivers. The end user doesn't care who delivers, they get the delivery regardless. But there are a lot more details we have yet to see to know for sure., the missions wont be here for quite some time.

That is why I am glad that I maybe can buy resources without your mediation in future ;)

You can do that now. :yay:

Not sure why all the venom towards the resellers, at times they are the only ones buying or selling. If you don't like their prices, don't do business with them. Wait until you get the price you like.

CO

Well either this will reinvigorate the pirating system or kill it off.

What's the point in making a kill only to be killed yourself when you try to deliver the package. And they won't be able to camp the exit points making quick kills, they'll have to deliver the package or waste the effort and all the ammo used. Who's going to risk transporting stackables between planets anymore if there's a risk free method from a global auction.

Unless the reward is somehow linked to the value of the stack by way of the transport fee but even then it won't be anywhere near the value of the old system.

Last edited:

What's the point in making a kill only to be killed yourself when you try to deliver it. And they won't be able to camp the exit points making quick kills, they'll have to deliver the package or waste the effort and all the ammo they used. Who's going to risk transporting stackables between planets anymore if there's a risk free method from a global auction.
Depends on the cost of the delivery. ;)

What's the point in making a kill only to be killed yourself when you try to deliver it. And they won't be able to camp the exit points making quick kills, they'll have to deliver the package or waste the effort and all the ammo they used. Who's going to risk transporting stackables between planets anymore if there's a risk free method from a global auction.

It all depends on the cost of the risk free transports.

What's the point in making a kill only to be killed yourself when you try to deliver the package. And they won't be able to camp the exit points making quick kills, they'll have to deliver the package or waste the effort and all the ammo used. Who's going to risk transporting stackables between planets anymore if there's a risk free method from a global auction.

Unless the reward is somehow linked to the value of the stack by way of the transport fee but even then it won't be anywhere near the value of the old system.

I'm assuming you'll have to go down to the planet to do the delivery. If that's the case, then pirates will NOT be caught when trying to deliver the package. They make the kill and 90% of the time they'll be safe to leave at that point. In space, the only risky points (unless you're inexperienced) are entering or leaving the safe zone. Entering the planet is 99% safe because it's such a big area, unless you hang around in one spot or go right in front of the station where you're easy to see.

We don't know yet how many packages you will be able to fit in a quad... or if the weight corresponds to the items that were originally purchased on auction (or for that matter... if there's a 1 to 1 correspondence between auction fees and packages). If the quad can only take 1 package then you're right, they're pretty limited. Pirates might not be able to camp (unless the packages are tradable, then they'll just plant an alt there in the station and use a privateer to move them all at the end of the day). Which means.... packages are pretty likely to be tradable and/or you can fit a good number in a quad.

I think I know what's happening... MA wasn't sure how this all would play out, so they released this dev notes in order to gather ideas from the community. Not a bad idea.:wise:

Last edited:
Some points:

• As someone who currently holds a Privateer deed with over 40K SI, I am very pleased with this upcoming change, especially since the privateer is for sale because this makes that ship a lot more marketable. If I wasnt a reseller I would certainly not want to sell that Privateer any longer and would keep it simply for the increased earning opportunity that will come from this change.
  • As someone who believes that colonists need a way for safe transport without logging off, while also providing pirates a way to earn peds, I believe that this is a good change. This will reinforce the need for Privateers and Motherships.
  • As one of the largest unlimited item resellers/traders in EU, I strongly feel that this change will be good because it will help augment the economy and increase trade on all planets. It will help provide liquidity to those that need it most and will provide easier access to purchased items thus encouraging spending and deposits thereby increasing overall economic turnover.

You can do that now. :yay:

Not sure why all the venom towards the resellers, at times they are the only ones buying or selling. If you don't like their prices, don't do business with them. Wait until you get the price you like.

CO

No, I can't.

Given my assortment, I often do a trips to Calypso. It is possible that I'll reduce the number of trips to the minimum. That loss of time is most annoying, on other side I have no desire to pay 20% more to reseller right now.
A specific example. There are items with a fairly low demand, such as Defence Enhancers. I have some stock of all the components, but I can not predict demand. For example yesterday one player bought all the these Enhancers from my Shop. I found that I was missing about 150 pieces of Fire Root Pellets. I'm not going to calypso to buy them, it makes no sense. The only offer on Ark AH - yours. I bought them, despite the fact that you have more expensive price, but I still was not enough. Now I need only 10-20 Fire Root Pellets, so I cannot buy it. Yes, I can buy big stacks of all the ingredients, but there is a problem - they will lie for months, and binding of the working capital in these amounts not suit me too. Transportation completely solve this problem, and strike out you from the list of my counterparts.

Bit Off topic, but concerns transport of messages.

<removed> FIX MESSAGE DELIVERY MINDARK <removed>!!! and while your at it, friends list.....

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I can't.
Given my assortment, I often do a trips to Calypso. It is possible that I'll reduce the number of trips to the minimum. That loss of time is most annoying, on other side I have no desire to pay 20% more to reseller right now.

And as a miner, I would list more if I knew they would sell. Quite often, they sit there until the last hour and then people bid. I don't like the time or expense of going to Caly either. But that's life in EU with the current options. Deal with it like others do.

A specific example. There are items with a fairly low demand, such as Defence Enhancers. I have some stock of all the components, but I can not predict demand. For example yesterday one player bought all the these Enhancers from my Shop. I found that I was missing about 150 pieces of Fire Root Pellets. I'm not going to calypso to buy them, it makes no sense.

And I am not going to double warp to Caly and back to sell odd stacks, so I keep them in inventory my first batch sells.

The only offer on Ark AH - yours. I bought them, despite the fact that you have more expensive price, but I still was not enough. Now I need only 10-20 Fire Root Pellets, so I cannot buy it.

Go mine them if you only need 10 - 20. Or buy them at the Celeste Quarry. Are you too good to mine or stand in Celeste?

Basically, you're saying you expect people to put up batches in the size you need at the prices you want. Really?

I believe BO on FR was 116 - 120%. Large batches are selling on Caly for 116.67%....and lots of them. Makes no sense for me put up more batches if you're the only buyer as they will be sold for TT or close to that. Better to save them save them and sell on Caly.

And my batches almost always have a SB of TT. If you don't like my price, bid your max and see if it's the high bid at the end of a week.

Yes, I can buy big stacks of all the ingredients, but there is a problem - they will lie for months, and binding of the working capital in these amounts not suit me too.

You expect others to optimize your cash flow for you? Interesting...

I have the problem of who's going to buy how much and when. My solution is to keep a stack or two of each in relatively small batches on Ark auction at all times. When my ped card dries up, I head down to Caly and sell the stacks I have in inventory.

Guess what, my cash flow needs to be managed and optimized as well. Should I get mad at people that don't buy my auction batches when I want at the prices I want?

Transportation completely solve this problem, and strike out you from the list of my counterparts.

Knock yourself out. Should I play tit for tat and refuse to sell pyrite & fire root on Ark to get back at you? Sounds a bit childish to me.

We'll see how the changes affect Ark. I hope I can sell more, faster. I hope the economy gets a kick start. And if not, I will find another way to keep mining. It won't be the first time people have had to adapt after a VU.

CO

Last edited:
A specific example. There are items with a fairly low demand, such as Defence Enhancers. I have some stock of all the components, but I can not predict demand. For example yesterday one player bought all the these Enhancers from my Shop. I found that I was missing about 150 pieces of Fire Root Pellets. I'm not going to calypso to buy them, it makes no sense. The only offer on Ark AH - yours. I bought them, despite the fact that you have more expensive price, but I still was not enough. Now I need only 10-20 Fire Root Pellets, so I cannot buy it. Yes, I can buy big stacks of all the ingredients, but there is a problem - they will lie for months, and binding of the working capital in these amounts not suit me too. Transportation completely solve this problem, and strike out you from the list of my counterparts.

Specifics... he had them listed for 120%, about 3% above what they were selling for on Caly (not 20%). Also, I had over 300 of these pellets to sell yesterday, but got no history of you buying them on Ark so I sell them elsewhere. If you'd buy more from the market where you're using the stuff, you'd find more available there, I'm sure.

The upcoming VU changes won't make much difference for you, I think. Since your business model requires you to get rock bottom prices on your materials, you can't afford to pay the extra transport fees anyway.

For those willing to pay an extra 5% in fees for their off-world mats, then the VU changes will probably be good, they'll have access to all planets' auctions. (For comparison, today most crafters only have to pay < 1% fee to get mats from off-world, though it takes some time to do so.)

Last edited:
too many symbols to quote...

Thank you for explanation.

I will not argue with you more, because after VU, I hope, in this will be no longer need. I'm happy for you, if you thrive. And glad for myself, because I thrive too, with you or without you. After the VU I hope life will be better and more fun.

PS I'm also miner, so often I go and mine what I need. But as you know, often you cannot find what was searching.

PPS And yes, I'm too good to stand in Celeste. I will add: In the past all attempts to buy something in Celeste for me almost always ended in nothing.

Added for Neil: I do not know what you have to sell and do not want to know. Just when I need something, I want to be able to get it right now or later (as I wish), and let me decide please, gives me something the introduction of transportation or will not. My business is arranged so as I like, and you make the wrong conclusions about it.

Last edited:
Thank you for explanation.

I will not argue with you more, because after VU, I hope, in this will be no longer need. I'm happy for you, if you thrive. And glad for myself, because I thrive too, with you or without you. After the VU I hope life will be better and more fun.

PS I'm also miner, so often I go and mine what I need. But as you know, often you cannot find what was searching.

PPS And yes, I'm too good to stand in Celeste. I will add: In the past all attempts to buy something in Celeste for me almost always ended in nothing.

Added for Neil: I do not know what you have to sell and do not want to know. Just when I need something, I want to be able to get it right now or later (as I wish), and let me decide please, gives me something the introduction of transportation or will not. My business is arranged so as I like, and you make the wrong conclusions about it.

We all have areas of common interest and areas where our interests collide. And Neil, you and I have found niches where we believe we can thrive. If significant challenges did not exist, we be running commodity businesses and competing strictly on price and volume.

I wish you well in your business and hope the VU will benefit everyone in EU.

CO

CLD owners going to get the Revenue share from new Auction system?

IF the dev notes are correct, then extra delivery costs - extra revenue - will go into the space mission pool. AFAIK space is an MA area, so almost all of any extra revenue from fighting over future cargo pods will go to MA.

However, if the planet of auction origin gets a share of the basic fees, then CLD owners may actually get less, as more people will put up stuff in auction on other planets now instead of returning to Caly to auction stuff (depending on the transport costs buyers will face). Then again, people on other planets may increase Caly auction turnover by bidding from all over the universe now... so I'd say it's hard to tell.

Conceivably, using the Underground auction on Ark may thus be a good idea for slightly higher AUD revenues, but you were asking about CLDs.

Got Ped - check
Got Robe - check
Got Hoplite Armor - check
Got Philo / Archon sword - check
Got Time Crystals :censored:

(true story)

There was some Hoplite I was missing listed on Arkadia auction but I wasn't going to detour and risk the usual scum to get it, so did without a couple of pieces.

and herb box. Don't waste your time I just spent 2 hours going to get more herb boxes and they no longer exist for purchase, neither the swords or armor, not unless I missed something.

IF the dev notes are correct, then extra delivery costs - extra revenue - will go into the space mission pool. AFAIK space is an MA area, so almost all of any extra revenue from fighting over future cargo pods will go to MA.

However, if the planet of auction origin gets a share of the basic fees, then CLD owners may actually get less, as more people will put up stuff in auction on other planets now instead of returning to Caly to auction stuff (depending on the transport costs buyers will face). Then again, people on other planets may increase Caly auction turnover by bidding from all over the universe now... so I'd say it's hard to tell.

Conceivably, using the Underground auction on Ark may thus be a good idea for slightly higher AUD revenues, but you were asking about CLDs.

It's impossible to know what the dynamics of it will be but yes, MA is going to end up getting a lot of the revenue from this, in the form of space PVP decay. I don't think auction fees go to the planet partners (pretty sure they don't), but even if they do, auction fees from items listed underground would not go to AUD owners (it's just a "big" land area so only 5% of hunting and mining loot contributes to taxes).

My concern is that auction buyers need to be able to filter the auction listings by planet. Many of us who spend a lot of time on other planets want to support the local economies of the smaller planets to help them develop, rather than making them dependent on Calypso's economy, and we're willing to pay a bit extra for that at times.

and herb box. Don't waste your time I just spent 2 hours going to get more herb boxes and they no longer exist for purchase, neither the swords or armor, not unless I missed something.

Yes you're right, the NI trade terminals, including in ancient greece, now carry the exact same stuff as you find on other planets (creatively named "NI Basic Laser Pistol" etc). Those NI UL items, (blades and herb boxes) are no longer available, so don't TT them anymore.

Last edited:
I dont see how this will impact anyone in a negative way

For example, earlier in this thread we have a new Arkadia shop owner concerned that this will affect his sales opportunity in a negative way. I argue that it wont. Why would someone pay a transport fee when they can just buy it from your shop and avoid the fee??? This wont hurt shops, in fact it might even help your shop... As it is now, a large percentage of players, perhaps the majority of players do not leave Calypso largely in part due to the fact that they know that it will be difficult to source the items they need while on a different planet. This is especially true for (L) hunters. With a system in place that guarantees the ability to source needed items while on other planets, more people will travel, thus the potential customer base for your Arkadia shop will grow. Additionally, a large percentage of depositing players who start EU on a planet other than Calypso end up migrating over to Calypso simply because of the larger market place. This will curb that exodus to a large extent which will also help maintain a larger customer base on other planets.

Yesterday I spoke with a Privateer owner who is concerned this will in some way reduce space travel. One would think that by giving people a way to buy and sell items on whichever planet through the auction system it would reduce space travel. That's just not the case. Its almost counterintuitive but this will INCREASE space travel because no one wants to fly to a dead planet where they cant buy the needed items to continue game play. This will go a long way to help solidify the economy on each planet which will increase interplanetary trade between all of the planets as well as interplanetary travel.

For example, earlier in this thread we have a new Arkadia shop owner concerned that this will affect his sales opportunity in a negative way. I argue that it wont. Why would someone pay a transport fee when they can just buy it from your shop and avoid the fee??? This wont hurt shops, in fact it might even help your shop... As it is now, a large percentage of players, perhaps the majority of players do not leave Calypso largely in part due to the fact that they know that it will be difficult to source the items they need while on a different planet. This is especially true for (L) hunters. With a system in place that guarantees the ability to source needed items while on other planets, more people will travel, thus the potential customer base for your Arkadia shop will grow. Additionally, a large percentage of depositing players who start EU on a planet other than Calypso end up migrating over to Calypso simply because of the larger market place. This will curb that exodus to a large extent which will also help maintain a larger customer base on other planets.

Yesterday I spoke with a Privateer owner who is concerned this will in some way reduce space travel. One would think that by giving people a way to buy and sell items on whichever planet through the auction system it would reduce space travel. That's just not the case. Its almost counterintuitive but this will INCREASE space travel because no one wants to fly to a dead planet where they cant buy the needed items to continue game play. This will go a long way to help solidify the economy on each planet which will increase interplanetary trade between all of the planets as well as interplanetary travel.

I have a shop on Monria.. there is no existent auction house AT ALL. That's why my shop is doing well. Players who want to buy stuff can only do so at a shop.

With links to all auctions around the universe, the only reason to go to my shop is to get it cheaper, but a player doesnt know what I am selling, unless he goes to check it. Why would he? You can buy anything from auction, anywhere.
So in short player thinks "will I check all the shops on Monria to see if they have a better deal, or simply pay the fee and get my item?" click. done.
Now my focus is on new players so maybe they cannot afford the fee, but that's the only lifeline my shop has.
I do sell under caly markup a lot of the times, so my shop is cheaper.

Last edited:

Well, there about 10 people who think they know how everyone will react and are vocal about. The rest of us know how we feel and will see how it plays out.

As much I hate to see logout (option | exploit | bug ) go away, I will see what happens and go from there. We've had to adjust before.

CO

I have a shop on Monria.. there is no existent auction house AT ALL. That's why my shop is doing well. Players who want to buy stuff can only do so at a shop.

With links to all auctions around the universe, the only reason to go to my shop is to get it cheaper, but a player doesnt know what I am selling, unless he goes to check it. Why would he? You can buy anything from auction, anywhere.
So in short player thinks "will I check all the shops on Monria to see if they have a better deal, or simply pay the fee and get my item?" click. done.
Now my focus is on new players so maybe they cannot afford the fee, but that's the only lifeline my shop has.

I know many will hate this suggestion, but i actually would like all items in personal shops also to be listed in auction. Not to be bought in auction, but to get a waypoint where the shop is, so i can travel there and buy it :)
(Also an old Starwars galaxies practic, and EQ2 where players sold items in their homes - but could be found on the general market browser, worked quite well)

Last edited:

I understand the position that you are in right now however you have to understand that Monria, and EU for that matter, do not exist for the purpose of providing exclusivity on Monria sales to your shop. Shops were never intended on being the sole source of items on Monria and you know that.

Another reality is that the vast majority of EU players do not go to Monria. Because of that, there isnt enough buyers and sellers for the Monria auctions to function (as you know) which in turn discourages the players who do go there from spending a lot of time on Monria. The three professions in EU are about cycling PED. So if you cant sell your loot on auction at Monria then you wont have PEDs to buy the necessary things to continue cycling PED.... even if you TT everything, with no way to buy new (L) guns or amps, your game play is dead in the water until you make a trip back to Calypso to restock.... most people just stay on Calypso at that point.

By keeping more people on Monria, able to spend and restock on Monria, you have more people who can buy things, support an auction, and also support your shop.

By providing a way for people to import necessary (L) guns, amps, and whatever else thats needed to sustain continued game play on Monria it will allow those who want to stay on Monria to stay. While they are there they will need to buy and sell things and as a result, an actual market can start to take root, which in turn will be able to produce an environment where you have a larger potential client base to market your shop to.

Shops having to sell cheaper than auction has been the reality for a long time, since the introduction of shops in fact... Even with the current system, as you point out, you are selling cheaper than Calypso's auction history. Its your responsibility as a shop owner to make sure that people know that things can be had at your shop for a better price.

With a functioning Monria economy, more people will be active and spending on Monria, and as a result of that, you will have more of an opportunity to break free from selling noob oriented items (if you want) and get into something that has some real profit margin and also meaningful sales volume. You just need to find the niche.

The shop owners who thrive are the ones who are able to adapt, identify a niche, source the product, maintain a reliable stock, and build a loyal customer base. As it stands now, you dont even have an opportunity to do that in a meaningful way simply because the market on Monria is so small.

The system as we know it now clearly does not work. Something has to change and thankfully it finally is changing.

Resist inevitable change and fail... Embrace inevitable change and thrive. :)

Back