Enhancements to Entropia Forum

Starfinder said:
Same goes for the trading section.. why not make it as an actual trade section.. dont use a forum for something it isent intended to.. its fine that we "speak" in the trading section.. but i want to be able to search for an item quickly.. as it is now.. if i type "EP-40" in the search.. i bet ya i will find 10.000 posts about EP-40's that hasent got anything with selling an EP-40 to do...

Well, one could always do a search on the trading forums only. A search for "EP-40" in the trading section turned up only 26 threads... a far cry from 10 000 :D

Dan said:
Well, one could always do a search on the trading forums only. A search for "EP-40" in the trading section turned up only 26 threads... a far cry from 10 000 :D
Fair enough.. are they listed cheapest first.. with the possibility to sort after selling date.. .. can i get a nice overview of the diffrent prices ?.. what im trying to say "Use a forum for what it is intented to do.. and nothing else, if you want it to do more.. code it so it can do it"...

Starfinder said:
I ask this then.. _Will_ Any of this be possible... it WILL requiere special coding.. not just changing a colorscheme in one plugin to another color.. or change titles from "generic" types to "EU types".. This will requiere you to make something to the database.. create your own php pages.. and so on..

Quote:my self:-----
how about an actual event system... instead of just using posts to give notice of an event.. create a complete event system.. where you can search for which prices.. types of events.. locations.. times... and so on.. and then link it in with the forum..

Prehaps also a bit more group orientated .. in the sence that once you join a soc.. you automatically enter that group.. so you can quickly see if anyone from your "group" (soc) has written any new posts... (I know thats basically the same as the buddy list - but i dont wanna manually add everyone from my soc to my buddy list - there should be an option to be automatically entered into this buddy-list/group)...

Same goes for the trading section.. why not make it as an actual trade section.. dont use a forum for something it isent intended to.. its fine that we "speak" in the trading section.. but i want to be able to search for an item quickly.. as it is now.. if i type "EP-40" in the search.. i bet ya i will find 10.000 posts about EP-40's that hasent got anything with selling an EP-40 to do...

A quick tweak could also be to have the current server status on the site somewhere.. just so you in the case of a VU can check when its online again...

And ohh.. yeah.. get the page to work with AJAX... I dont want to "refresh" the page to check if i have gotten any new PM's.. the system should update that seemless...

----------------

Will that be possible.. or should it be more "genetic" features which there has already been build plugins for?

I am sure some of these things will be possible to implement. If a custom coding is required to implement some of the features we want/need that goes beyond the abilities of vBulletin or expansion modules, this will not be a problem. I have good relationships with some very good database and php coders to do what we need.

I saw on other sites and forums a feature : a sort of " junkyard " ,"trash bin" .

Is a folder where the bad posts --those against the rules--are hosted and the users can read those bad posts and make an ideea about the poster and about the moderating act and about different points of views.

Is it in your intentions to implement such a thing, instead of to simply delete posts from users wich already have a great reputation in this community ?

As their opinions used to be high evaluated , i have a guess that this eventually feature might be usefull no matter any new orientations this forum would take.
Thank you.

As the numbers of users increases there is a need of better tools for people to be able to find what they are looking for.

A good forum is where people can write what they believe should be told to others and can provide them with a better understanding of the point of view that they defend.
Without being forced to crawl throught out tons of endless pointless posts.
I defend that they have the right to present their opinion to the ones who wish to listen to them, but I opose that they force to take my time without my consent.

1st sugestion:
When I read a post but wish to read it again starting at page X currently I have to loose time in going in a number of steps to reach it.
A good community is where diversity can generate discussition that is worth reading but if I loose the time that I have available to read, in the browsing through the forum I will get bored and probably won't read something that I would find interesting.

2nd:
Make the reputation system usefull for something more than a number in the profile.
The way I see it the reputation of the first post and the reputation of the replies of firmly establish players would allow me to realise that many people read that thread and enjoyed it, so I will be tempted to have a pick at it just by curiosity.

3rd
Trash bin quarantine folder ->
In my opinion a trully good moderator doesn't erase.
Instead it links it and redirects them to a temporary thread that will be erased in a week or two so that others are allowed to know how that author thinks of the matter in question. And that more passionate discussions may be kept there without disturbing the peace of the rest of the forum.
Of course if somebody is continuasly abusing of the moderators patience moderators will have to put a stop on his abuses and let him know how to behave.
And also, some post are so full of junk, absurd and outside the forum general interests that they don't belong even in the trash (this can be erase).

4th
Remember the forum is made by people for the people.
Trolls and Gods aren't welcome.

I liked it when MB would post who got banned and why... I miss that.

Perhaps we could have a "banned list" that shows who all is banned, for what, and for how long.

For some us it would be entertaining and others might even learn from their mistakes :)

i havent read all of these but several are very good ideas.
maybe a subdivision of uber loots for items

and a "rate this post" or "report this post to a moderator" options i have seen neither of these. this allows the community to almost regulate the forum.

after so low of a rep/post appreciation a member would be either autobanned for sometime with an email sent to their registered account of why and how long. or they could be brought up to mod's for consideration of suspension or explain to them their position on the boards. the rep system is one thing. but if you get 10 posts with 3 or more "1 star ratings" or w/e within say 3 months then you would be in this status.

and the report this to mod function would allow people to alert mods to what is believed to be offensive, or abusive. i have seen where certain things are missed by mods for a couple of days or something and this would help that. if its brought to a mods attention earlier it might prevent the offending member from creating other worthless threads.

I did like Rex's suggestions on the first page. I do think this forum could do with a bit more moderation, not that MS9, Skam and MB aren't doing a great job... it's just that it seems there's so much to moderate.

And I don't mean moderating conversation (as in censorship). I hate reading "Post Deleted" all the time, but unfortunately it's necessary sometimes. However, I tend to have little confidence that the right posts are being deleted (sorry if that offends any of the mods here, but it's my honest opinion).

Now we have 3 moderators (and hopefully another 1 or 2 in the future), I'd really like to see less posts about "taboo" subjects being deleted, and more management of the conversation in general.

For example, the rule about discussion of autoclickers was probably for the best when only MB was moderating, but if the conversation is properly directed, it should be fair game. Not that we want to see that tired old discussion all the time, but sometimes it's certainly necessary.

The rule about discussing other games is fair enough, but it's been taken too far. We can't be stopped from the slightest MENTION of other games! That's akin to what certain dictatorships tend to do to the media. Mention the games, compare them, but let the primary focus be on EU as it should be.

If the forums are proactively moderated, this sort of discussion should be fair game.

They are my only bugbears really; other than that the forum's pretty good in my eyes.

Oh, one other thing. I'd like to see in the rules that any new owner of this forum should be required to state their name upon buying it. I'm sorry 711, or whoever you are, but that was handled very badly. I've thought about that for a few days and I still can't comprehend why on earth you wouldn't come forward. It surely can't matter that much! If you were to state your intentions before the transaction, surely there could be no ill-effects? I think you'll find now people just won't trust you for it (and as it turns out, quite a number of people know exactly who you are!). Poor show.

i actually have no idea who it is. it would have been in better form to leave out the fact that you are already a member. it seemd very dishonest and unnecessarily secretive.

and yes the banning of mention of other games has been taken too far. i even joked about it in another thread....and said that it would be deleted or ammended and there would be a foot note....and there wasnt rofl. i was almost sad

but i mentioned a 3 letter game that ryhmed with POW...
and it was changed. it was in reference to a news article and it completly ruined my point to not be able to reference the game. its very much communistic. not being disrespectful but most things should be allowed in moderation or in passing so long as the main emphasis does not detract from that of EU/PE

Viper81883 said:
i havent read all of these but several are very good ideas.
maybe a subdivision of uber loots for items

and a "rate this post" or "report this post to a moderator" options i have seen neither of these. this allows the community to almost regulate the forum.

after so low of a rep/post appreciation a member would be either autobanned for sometime with an email sent to their registered account of why and how long. or they could be brought up to mod's for consideration of suspension or explain to them their position on the boards. the rep system is one thing. but if you get 10 posts with 3 or more "1 star ratings" or w/e within say 3 months then you would be in this status.

and the report this to mod function would allow people to alert mods to what is believed to be offensive, or abusive. i have seen where certain things are missed by mods for a couple of days or something and this would help that. if its brought to a mods attention earlier it might prevent the offending member from creating other worthless threads.

There IS a "report bad post" to a mod/admin icon on the bottom left of each post. It's the triangle icon. :)

HAHA!! i just learned something. Thx mindstar9

Viper81883 said:
HAHA!! i just learned something. Thx mindstar9

You're very welcome! We get notifications every day in our mailbox from members of the community reporting specific posts and/or threads, and that's another way that our attention is drawn to questionable content or behavior. You get the option of inserting your reason for reporting a post.

Enjoy! :laugh:

I'M GOING ON AN OBJECTIONABLE POST SPREE MWUAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

ok or not, but this will come in handy. and to ease back into topic.....
the rating of posts thing would be nice. like a 1-5 stars thing maybe.
pulled directly from another forum
1-Delete me!
2-Below average
3-average
4-good
5-excellent

these would at least let people know what to think of something posted.

We can already rate the thread as a whole, and individual posts can be positive or negative repped; do we really need a rating for every single post?

Dem said:
We can already rate the thread as a whole, and individual posts can be positive or negative repped; do we really need a rating for every single post?

no. it is not needed, but many forums do it to help the members to regulate the boards too. it comes into a cycle that is kinda selfsuffecient. sometimes it is a great addition. sometimes it is meaningless

"Sorry! The administrator has specified that you can only do one search every 25 seconds."

i don't know if its already mentioned, but maybe cut to half the time needed between searches?

Tomy said:
"Sorry! The administrator has specified that you can only do one search every 25 seconds."

i don't know if its already mentioned, but maybe cut to half the time needed between searches?

Yea I mentioned it. IMO it should be mentioned again, and again, and again. It pissed me off to no end.

This restriction should not be in place, especially for premium members.

Actually, I have this restiction as well. I will investigate if it is possible to edit the permissions on search delay based on usergroup. If this is not supported in the vBulletin default software, I will explore having such a feature custom coded :)

711 said:
Actually, I have this restiction as well. I will investigate if it is possible to edit the permissions on search delay based on usergroup. If this is not supported in the vBulletin default software, I will explore having such a feature custom coded :)

If I remember right, the restriction used to not be there, then it went to 20 seconds, and now 25 seconds.

I could be remembering wrong though.

HardWrath said:
If I remember right, the restriction used to not be there, then it went to 20 seconds, and now 25 seconds.

I could be remembering wrong though.

From a quick glance at the control panel, it seems to be either on or off for all user. I have not yet found a way to edit the delay for particular usergroups, but I will keep digging.

The reason the delay exists is to protect the server. By nature, such searches of a large database that runs EF is very taxing on server resources. Since we do not wish to bog down the server for other users, or to open things up to abuse, some search delay is necessary.

Understandable :)

Changing the Title Meta tag on the index page from "Home" back to "EntropiaForum - Its like a game" as it was, would be good.

711 said:
**Hmmmm note to self: instead of locking a thread, how about the option to lock particular MEMBERS out of a thread**

That is actually a really good idea 711

Last edited:
What about a troll + ?

when someone is getting to much troll + he got 3 1 day lock.
Troll + have to been given by diferent user.
Need like 20 or 30 troll + to get someone lock
It work only in 1 thread
...troll + have to been givent in a short amount of time like in 6 hour.
No one can see the amount of it :)

Locking a person out of a thread should be quite easy, doesnt the code already exist within the diary section?

(seeing th irony that im about to get locked out of several threads :D)

Off topic police

Many times it is nessacary to go off topic a little to make a point or let a thread run its course.

Some times people get a bit heated in their debate, especially if its an important issue. It comes down to one belife system vs another and when someone's beliefs are challenged they can get pissed quickly and this can cause the thread to go off topic but a lot of times it returns to the main topic all by itself.

I feel that we are too strict on the off topic stuff.

Recently I was involved in a thread where I made a post that seemingly was the unpopular thinking, some of the usual suspects resorted to personal attacks. After a bit of a debate most of the people involved calmed down after we made some complete off topic posts. Soon after the thread came back on topic.

In the past the thread would have either been locked or the posts deleted, which would have left all people involved upset.

I think that at times we should let a post run its course to some extent and we should only delete the posts from people who post a personal attack and nothing but a personal attack, especially when they aren’t part of the conversation. We have to remember though, personal attacks are going to happen, this is a web forum where people debate things. In order to have a debate you need two sides and inevitably some people will get a little upset here and there.

Etopia said:
What about a troll + ?

when someone is getting to much troll + he got 3 1 day lock.
Troll + have to been given by diferent user.
Need like 20 or 30 troll + to get someone lock
It work only in 1 thread
...troll + have to been givent in a short amount of time like in 6 hour.
No one can see the amount of it :)

i have to spread some rep before i give it to you again ..... :)

Kyl said:
i have to spread some rep before i give it to you again ..... :)

Seems to happen alot when Etopia is concerned. Perhaps we can have a set amount of overides for that.

I know it was put in place to stop abuse but perhaps a poster can earn overide points. I.e I post 100 posts this allows me an overide to give extra rep?

HardWrath said:
Many times it is nessacary to go off topic a little to make a point or let a thread run its course.

Some times people get a bit heated in their debate, especially if its an important issue. It comes down to one belife system vs another and when someone's beliefs are challenged they can get pissed quickly and this can cause the thread to go off topic but a lot of times it returns to the main topic all by itself.

I feel that we are too strict on the off topic stuff.

Recently I was involved in a thread where I made a post that seemingly was the unpopular thinking, some of the usual suspects resorted to personal attacks. After a bit of a debate most of the people involved calmed down after we made some complete off topic posts. Soon after the thread came back on topic.

In the past the thread would have either been locked or the posts deleted, which would have left all people involved upset.

I think that at times we should let a post run its course to some extent and we should only delete the posts from people who post a personal attack and nothing but a personal attack, especially when they aren’t part of the conversation. We have to remember though, personal attacks are going to happen, this is a web forum where people debate things. In order to have a debate you need two sides and inevitably some people will get a little upset here and there.

I have nothing against people that get a bit heated in their debate , as long as they still debate and arguing on the subject,bring and try stay constructive in a way or in other.

People that are just so down to only post to piss other even on what is the best cookies in a forum about EP,just decerve a lock for some time so they can go for a cold shower and get down that over heat wich drive them nuts.

My point is not to stop nice debate on a subject , its to get rid of som (rare thanks god) people that are paranoid and bielive evryone is against them , and whant to be alowed to back fire evryone all time...

Back