EU World Boxing Championships 2009, sponsored by FPC

To be honest the most likely scenario at the moment is that next year there won't be a Heavyweight class at all due to the lack of interest.

It's unfortunate that the top-skilled players don't seem to be interested, for the most part, in joining in a free event just for the fun of it. If the same attitude prevailed in the lower weights, there wouldn't be a tournament at all.
Think of it like this though. We have the MA organised events like SGA, land grabs and the stuff with Rx units. All these events are blighted (perhaps for want of a better word) by people complaining that its only the ubers who get the best stuff.

On the other hand, Oleg, you have single-handedly organised an event where everyone else gets a go. And while there will be only five winners, it will be an event where ALL ability levels can at least partake and have their moment in the event, rather than just being a tiny bit part that gets lost in the melee.

Hrm how about change the heavyweight class to any powerfist goes? Then rl pk skills become a tad more important and will make the matches more fast paced?

you can add me Jojo Joris Pogn i got 122hp
:)

Hrm how about change the heavyweight class to any powerfist goes? Then rl pk skills become a tad more important and will make the matches more fast paced?

That would make the difference between high-skilled and low-skilled within a class greater. The point of everyone using the same fist is that it reduces the benefit of higher skills and increases the importance of technique.

List updated, we now have 141 people taking part :)

true but im maxed on I think all powerfist so the difference between fighting someone with 40-60 more hp then me would be a handful of hits as in I could kill them in 8-10 hits they kill me in 6-8 hits, so difference would be 2 hits and I would have to work harder at avoiding and getting in lucky shots to have a chance. And if they have 240 HP and not maxed on the bigger powerfist now thats crazy.

smacker one id have to do 40 hits vs them doing 30 plus their health regen will be faster so really not even close chance.

Oh well it was a thought

That would make the difference between high-skilled and low-skilled within a class greater. The point of everyone using the same fist is that it reduces the benefit of higher skills and increases the importance of technique.

Ingame : Rowdoc Rowdoc Donner
Lightweight (127)

Count me in ! :boxer:

Kruts krutais Afigens @ flyweight.

game name = John Torinx Doe

light weight = 117 hp

thankyou let the games begin :):wtg:

true but im maxed on I think all powerfist so the difference between fighting someone with 40-60 more hp then me would be a handful of hits as in I could kill them in 8-10 hits they kill me in 6-8 hits, so difference would be 2 hits and I would have to work harder at avoiding and getting in lucky shots to have a chance. And if they have 240 HP and not maxed on the bigger powerfist now thats crazy.

smacker one id have to do 40 hits vs them doing 30 plus their health regen will be faster so really not even close chance.

Oh well it was a thought

Yeah I see what you mean, it's certainly something to bear in mind for the future.

Heavy weight will grow next year for sure as this event will grow. I do see a need for SuperHeavy as just about everyone in the middle weight class will be heavy next year. And soon I will be in same situation as others I expect to be well over 185 for next year but that is still low compared to the +250 players (at current brackets I won't compete as a heavyweight if I am below 190HP). There was an old saying "build it and they will come!". You make the divisions and reserve the right to blend them if need be. 3 in one division isn't many but when you think about there HP they will be going to the bell each time so longer fights. I would be surprised if there is a KO against any player over 250 in any round. Therefore 3min 15 rounds expect to be at each fight for up to 45min.

Looking for the big name players to compete in this atm is to much to ask with SGA going on. There out hunting big game for the big SGA items and hats off to them they make loot pool possable for us all :wtg: Don't hate them for not joining there busy just bad timing on event :rolleyes:

Would a break down like the following make players happier for next year?

Flyweight: Up to 110 Health
Bantemweight: 111-130 Health
Lightweight: 131-150 Health
Welterweight: 151-180 Health
Middleweight: 181-210 Health
Heavyweight: 211-249 Health
Super Heavy Weight: 250 and above

Questons/Comments?

Questons/Comments?

Firstly only the finals are 15 rounds, most matches are 5 rounds maximum and take 10-15 minutes to complete. The finals last year took 20-30 minutes.

I agree that having a category of 181-210 might attract more players in that class, but it still probably wouldn't be many and I'd be struggling to get anyone in the higher classes.

The results from the health poll I did (not an exact science of course but a good indication) suggest that only 2% of players have 211-249 Health, and 2.4% have more than 250. Applying to those percentages to the total number of entrants would suggest that even if a representative proportion of the population entered the higher classes, I would get 2-3 people in each of your higher classes. My experience suggests that proportionally less people at the higher levels enter events like this, so in reality that would likely be reduced.

In the 2008 Middleweight class (151-200) we had 4 entrants. In Heavyweight (200+) we had 4 entrants. Now this year we have 4 entrants in the Heavyweight class.

The Middleweight class this time has expanded because there are a lot more people over 150 these days, but at higher levels that expansion does not exist, or is minimal.

So while further class divisions might level the playing field in the higher classes, I don't see where the entrants are supposed to come from.

I think in this thread we've had 2 people say that they would have entered if there had been a Super-Heavyweight class or similar. They didn't enter because Star was too tough, and now still haven't entered after Star withdrew, so make what you will of that.

Of course there may be others in the same position who haven't posted about it.

I would love to have more high-level players enter the tournament, but the fact is that the numbers just don't add up, and there seems to be a distinct lack of interest from that part of the playing population.

Frankly I'm more interested in running a good contest for the 150 people who have entered than worrying about the 2 people who didn't.

Last edited:
Lightweigh

Lightweigh Carlo Don Adonis:cheer::banana::cheer:

I agree that having a category of 181-210 might attract more players in that class, but it still probably wouldn't be many and I'd be struggling to get anyone in the higher classes.

In the 2008 Middleweight class (151-200) we had 4 entrants. In Heavyweight (200+) we had 4 entrants. Now this year we have 4 entrants in the Heavyweight class.

The Middleweight class this time has expanded because there are a lot more people over 150 these days, but at higher levels that expansion does not exist, or is minimal.

Exactly my point, players are growing and boxing hasn't taken on in game till the past 2 years. Higher players have a lot invested if they can't get a good return they might not take part(but you do have nice prises this year).

Most of your welter weights will be middle weight next year and Middle in the heavy. As we will always have a steadly flow of lower weigh players no issues there. That is why I suggested Posting the new divisions and see what happens next year. Put a minimun number of entrants per division and if that isn't met split the weight class in 1/2 either up or down in class.

I love the event so far and I support you 100% Oleg I think this will be a great event and it will give some players some good memories. Expecialy the beginners.

P.S. Let the smack talk begin!!!

Middle weight champion Thor look out I am looking to take your belt :boxer:

Exactly my point, players are growing and boxing hasn't taken on in game till the past 2 years. Higher players have a lot invested if they can't get a good return they might not take part(but you do have nice prises this year).

Most of your welter weights will be middle weight next year and Middle in the heavy. As we will always have a steadly flow of lower weigh players no issues there. That is why I suggested Posting the new divisions and see what happens next year. Put a minimun number of entrants per division and if that isn't met split the weight class in 1/2 either up or down in class.

I love the event so far and I support you 100% Oleg I think this will be a great event and it will give some players some good memories. Expecialy the beginners.

P.S. Let the smack talk begin!!!

Middle weight champion Thor look out I am looking to take your belt :boxer:

Yes, the scaling up in health is one of the things I wanted to identify when I did the health poll. I knew there would be more people over 150 HP than last year, and I wasn't worried that we'd only have 4 entrants in the Middleweight class again because of the number of people I personally know hit 150 over the last year (and then the poll results which confirmed that).

Having said that, the numbers are still a lot more skewed towards the lower end than I had expected (I thought there would be fewer Lightweights and more Welterweight and Middleweight than there are). Whether this is because my poll results were misleading or because there is a greater take-up among the lower skills, I don't know. Nevertheless I'm happy with the number of entries in the 4 lower classes.

No doubt it will scale up again next year, though I think you're over-estimating the numbers (I'd say "some" where you say "most").

The minimum numbers cap is something I've been thinking about for a few days, and at the moment this is probably the way it's heading for 2010, adding a Super-Heavyweight class but with the caveat that if there are fewer than 8 registered entrants in a class then the competition will not take place in that class.

Thanks for your support btw, and the same to everyone else who's supported the tournament. It's good to know that this event has engaged the community enough for them to have an argument about it :D

Ingame name: Rick CaptainRick Junior

Welterweight: 131-150 Health

Flyweight: Up to 110 Health

Avatar name is : Eddi Eddi Adventure and i would like you to send me everyting you need to ask and other things by personalize mesage not the e mail.

The launch party and first round draw will take place on Saturday 3 October at 1800 MA time. We'll be at the ring at Billy's. Hope to see you all there :)

The launch party and first round draw will take place on Saturday 3 October at 1800 MA time. We'll be at the ring at Billy's. Hope to see you all there :)

Barring family issues cropping up, I should be there.

can't find my name in the list :confused:

to save you searching: LeeLoo LeeLoo Faith, Lightweight

Last edited:
Back