Feffox Mayhem Feedback!

Kim|MindArk

Former Planet Calypso Official
My Fellow Calypsians,

Now that we have reached the end of the Feffox mayhem I would very much like to hear your thoughts about it, what worked, what didn't work, what can we do better?.

The event was designed with feedback from the last Merry Mayhem in mind, one major example being reducing the consequences of crashing and considering the quick score delivery, it just might have worked.

Let's see if we can make future events even better!

The main fact to not have participated was that unlike Merry Mayhem, this spring Mayhem only had one category for all players. Make like Merry Mayhem with 4 categories or even 5, where each category have their own rewards. (on this spring mayhem I counted only 20 realy good prices as reward for all players in Entropia Universe)

A timer for total time spent on the instances or if easier no timer but after the 40h spent make instance no more available for that player and no risk of disqualification. Something like: You have now reached the maximum time, thank you for your participation.

Event timer. That's it, nothing else, rest was good. Methods
1. Like MM, give us keys to use and 1 hour timers in the instances
or
2. Set up a 40 hour timer linked to each avatar and starts/stops when we enter or leave the instance.

Not sure if it has been mentioned up to this point , but a Timer would be great.

Bones

Perhaps a timer? :yup::yup::yup:

Timers just need to be implemented no matter how you do it, get someone to figure it out so either people get kicked out of the instance when their time is up or there is a clearly displayed timer (or both). You shouldn't have the chance to put 40.1 hours in and get disqualified.

As was pointed out in the prize thread, 40 hours in 2 weeks is too much for most non-hardcore players. You should give enough time to complete it that people who spend a max of 2 hours a day can still complete it. Yeah that's not very "mayhemy" but once it was put into instances it's not mayhemy anyway.

I did like the design of the caves. More randomness to the caves would be nice though, since they are instances every one doesn't have to be exactly the same.

An iron challenge or some type of skill reward mission would be nice for the people that killed a lot but didn't get a prize. This was the first mayhem type event I felt I had a real chance to compete in solo though. I liked the random drops, and I think it would be really cool to have alternative uses for the dropped items. You could have the quest giver return the sacs (marked as used of course) and have those be trade-able and used in special crafting or converted to mission tokens, anything really that can make you feel like you got something even if you didn't win.

indeed as karmic mentioned....make the mob some iron mission,
i did 19 hours,had 1340 points and knew i could not finish top20 anymore..so i stopped hunting them

some iron mision on them is enough motivation for me to keep pushing and pushing through

The ONLY flaw I am concerned with was the fact that the big sacs always came in waves, and that to me, defeated the whole purpose of "randomness" that this event sought to provide. The big shots with big socs were at an advantage by logging in and out based on wave timing with information brought to them by thier minions. Not saying they did anything wrong, but it loses the pure randomness when people with lots of friends can time their playing based on their friends info who are in zones. I would eliminate the waves of sacs we all clearly saw. It was so robotic, it amazed me, and I felt like it wasn't random the whole time.

• Proper timekeeping
  • Real time scoreboard
  • Clarify trapping logic issues / increase damage range to mitigate

I would have included multiple categories but considering I fall into the bottom-end of the ultra ubers, it wouldn't change my chances.

I had fun, much more than I expected in all honesty. The nests were nicely designed.

indeed as karmic mentioned....make the mob some iron mission,
i did 19 hours,had 1340 points and knew i could not finish top20 anymore..so i stopped hunting them

some iron mision on them is enough motivation for me to keep pushing and pushing through

I agree with this also, an Iron Mission would be great for those players who dont get a prize. At least you know your hard work grinding has bought you closer to completing the mission.

Pros
  • Liked being able to choose which level nest we could enter instead of being forced into a certain level, made it better for eco hunters and also made it different to regular Mayhem.
  • Awesome prizes.
  • Nice design in the nests (mostly, see point about vine-wall below).
  • Like the concept of entering an instance to hunt even without an event attached to it, I'd like to see more of this especially tied in to missions.

Cons
  • Badly balanced difficulty of mobs meant almost everyone was hunting in west nest which seemed to cause problems for server load.
  • Balance of scoring possibilities appeared to clearly favour the easier mobs which exacerbated the server problems and was annoying for those of us who preferred to hunt the bigger mobs.
  • Sound/CTD bug could surely have been identified and fixed in advance.
  • Trapping exploit really needs to be sorted.
  • Less serious than trapping but revive killing in high level nests should probably have been prevented too.
  • Annoying barely-visible vine thingies making a wall you couldn't shoot through.
  • West nest too far from TP.
  • Possibly more thought could have been put into the order of the top prizes.
  • The prizes were arguably too good for an event that could be described as experimental, you could perhaps have tried this out with a smaller event and lesser prizes first.
  • System for handing in sacs in set quantities was really annoying, why can't I just dump all my sacs in at once?

Other suggestions for improvement
  • Make multiple versions of the lower level nests so that not everyone is in the same location or filling up the instance (not sure exactly how this works but I'm sure something could be done to help).
  • Add an iron challenge or similar to give more incentive to participate.
  • Timer system.
  • Make nests available for a few days before the event begins so that we can prepare and plan without using limited time (and without getting sacs of course).

Categories would be first.

Second i feel that all the top 100 all should have some consolation instead of having to land on a "lucky" spot to get anything makes me feel real shitty overall. (maybe the skill booster)

hird a built in timer on the mission screen that when it hits 0 you get booted out. So that way u can make sure u get maximum allotted time.

On the plus side, i loved the instance (except having to avoid random brush). The setup was excellent for circle grinding.

I also feel that many got multiple Mutated sacs while many many others got none... which leaves a bad taste in my mouth since "random" always seems to land on the same people.. (not speaking loot which seems the same too). I guess this can not really be tweaked with that much but i still was very frustrated by it.

All in all i will participate in any event i feel i have a chance.

Ty for the quick results.

Tony

Thank you for asking for feedback

Other than multiple crashes some sessions, which meant I lost track of time, I think it went well.

Only main observation is the difficulty to get back to a half killed mob if you die because of a crit. With Xmas MM you could manage it. Although respawns in the tunnels made it a bit of a pain on Feffox, if hunting to your max skill level and equipment.

From what I've read there seemed to be a much higher chance of looting sacs from the easiest nest, probably due to a higher number of kills. Could it be possibly be calculated that your chances are more even to loot sacs if you take on bigger mobs more suited to skill level.

What are you going to rename the sacs next year? In case some are retained by players and not handed in to the broker.

Many thanks

Rick

The prizes were an issue I believe. They just didn't match the expected value for each rank.
3rd place for example is a total disappointment.
9th place also was bad.
13th place just terrible.
17th place is just as bad as 9th place.

More prize balancing is needed.

The only feedback that I would like to give for this event, and I truly hope that MA takes this to heart, is that I'd very much appreciate it if MA would stop lying and also if they would stop making events only for the rich. MA said that this event would be one that every player of every skill level and gear type could participate in. And, it very well should have been because it was the main event to mark EU's 10th anniversary and every player should have gotten the chance to participate in it. So, with thoughts of fun in mind and ammo in my guns with intent to kill some mean Feffox I went into the nests only to find that I had absolutely no chance of killing even the weakest version of this creature. All I had wanted was to have some fun killing a few feffox for the event, give MA some of my PEDs, and maybe collect a few feffox sac trophies to decorate my apt with. But, nope, once again it was nothing more than a disappointing event aimed at only allowing the rich to have any fun and designed to make others waste their PEDs. The story-line wasn't really all that great either. I could have come up with a story-line for the egg that was at least twice as good as this one in a few hours of writing without even trying. I'd like to see a few actually fun events in EU for once, and ones that are actually creative with interesting story-lines, if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

However, it is very nice to see that MA has actually sent a representative out to collect feedback for once. I hope that they actually intend to listen to the feedback of all the players who have something to say about the event and that they use this feedback to make better events in the future.

Also, the scenery and design of the nests is one thing that I actually did really like about this event. Scenery is one of the few things that MA ever seems to get right.

If the event is timed, a timer so that we can accurately keep track is needed.
I am happy that the scores were quickly calculated

I would like to see different brackets, much like MM was.

An iron mission, or some sort of reward for completing 3x-40 hours of the event. Skills, small TT weapon (simillar to the marcorp kallous 5 rx or MM edition). Costs virtually nothing for you guys to provide, but is at least a door prize for completing the event.

I do definitely like that it wasn't always about the most dps for this event. Overall I enjoyed the event.

This is just a dick comment. If you have been playing a few years and you can't kill a feffox young...you're the problem, not MA.

First time I'm ever neg repping someone, and for some whiny, rude ignorant, ill thought out bullshit.
The only feedback that I would like to give for this event, and I truly hope that MA takes this to heart, is that I'd very much appreciate it if MA would stop lying and also if they would stop making events only for the rich. MA said that this event would be one that every player of every skill level and gear type could participate in. And, it very well should have been because it was the main event to mark EU's 10th anniversary and every player should have gotten the chance to participate in it. So, with thoughts of fun in mind and ammo in my guns with intent to kill some mean Feffox I went into the nests only to find that I had absolutely no chance of killing even the weakest version of this creature. All I had wanted was to have some fun killing a few feffox for the event, give MA some of my PEDs, and maybe collect a few feffox sac trophies to decorate my apt with. But, nope, once again it was nothing more than a disappointing event aimed at only allowing the rich to have any fun and designed to make others waste their PEDs. The story-line wasn't really all that great either. I could have come up with a story-line for the egg that was at least twice as good as this one in a few hours of writing without even trying. I'd like to see a few actually fun events in EU for once, and ones that are actually creative with interesting story-lines, if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

However, it is very nice to see that MA has actually sent a representative out to collect feedback for once. I hope that they actually intend to listen to the feedback of all the players who have something to say about the event and that they use this feedback to make better events in the future.

Also, the scenery and design of the nests is one thing that I actually did really like about this event. Scenery is one of the few things that MA ever seems to get right.

Timer, as many have said. I also like the idea of the real time scoreboard. Would be interesting to see:

% Complete / SCORE

type deal. It would be pretty cool to log in and check the scoreboard for events like this, and to challenge the whole of EU.

All in all, a great event in my opinion.

Downside I would say was the see through "wall" that didn't allow name pulling or shooting, even if mob was 10 feet away (or 80 meters, I like the speed of switching mobs asap).

Bugs and server stability was a real issue for me, only did about 90min because of all the ctd I had inside the caves. Last time I was in a cave I had to sit through about 10ctd just to get back to the start so I could exit the cave, also dying because of ctd means there is no way to get back to the mob before it regens leaving me just feeling cheated.

I did not participate and I played significantly less than normal during this event because:

1: Loot was pitiful. It might just be a coincidence but everyone I talked to had the same sad loot during the event.

2: Limited guns were unavailable. Everyone was hunting the event mob and all the L guns that are normally being generated by players were not during the event. Either bump up the likelihood of guns being looted by the normal mobs or have the event mob drop a LOT of different guns or make the event much shorter.

Let's see if we can make future events even better!

Let me share few thoughts about instances/events.
I think that many of us are bit tired of grinding same mobs in the same environment.
Luckily few events offer options to some extent in form of more than one type of mob to chose from.
Consider cave filled with different types of mobs, some smaller in packs of few and some lone big ones. Just like Beacons.
Or series of caves with different inhabitants in each of them, and in order to progress to next one one need to wipe out all of mobs in each cave.
Consider cave with four tunnels, each one of them guarded by different mobs and each tunnel leading to other part of maze-series-of-caves (randomly unique connections for current instance, kinda shuffling number ids of door with destination).
What about a mission chain to go through progressively bigger and harder series of caves and dungeons. Some connected storyline would be fantastic too.
Mission chain could eventually lead to unexplored parts of Calypso, like city of caves or underwater-bubble mutant's last bastion.
Maybe there would be a way to throw some puzzle at us, necessary to solve in order to progress.
I know i would dig it, think others too.

Pros
  • Liked being able to choose which level nest we could enter instead of being forced into a certain level, made it better for eco hunters and also made it different to regular Mayhem.
  • Awesome prizes.
  • Nice design in the nests (mostly, see point about vine-wall below).
  • Like the concept of entering an instance to hunt even without an event attached to it, I'd like to see more of this especially tied in to missions.

Cons
  • Badly balanced difficulty of mobs meant almost everyone was hunting in west nest which seemed to cause problems for server load.
  • Balance of scoring possibilities appeared to clearly favour the easier mobs which exacerbated the server problems and was annoying for those of us who preferred to hunt the bigger mobs.
  • Sound/CTD bug could surely have been identified and fixed in advance.
  • Trapping exploit really needs to be sorted.
  • Less serious than trapping but revive killing in high level nests should probably have been prevented too.
  • Annoying barely-visible vine thingies making a wall you couldn't shoot through.
  • West nest too far from TP.
  • Possibly more thought could have been put into the order of the top prizes.
  • The prizes were arguably too good for an event that could be described as experimental, you could perhaps have tried this out with a smaller event and lesser prizes first.
  • System for handing in sacs in set quantities was really annoying, why can't I just dump all my sacs in at once?

Other suggestions for improvement
  • Make multiple versions of the lower level nests so that not everyone is in the same location or filling up the instance (not sure exactly how this works but I'm sure something could be done to help).
  • Add an iron challenge or similar to give more incentive to participate.
  • Timer system.
  • Make nests available for a few days before the event begins so that we can prepare and plan without using limited time (and without getting sacs of course).

This ^

Thanks for saving me time ;)

Everything Oleg said

And this:

The ONLY flaw I am concerned with was the fact that the big sacs always came in waves, and that to me, defeated the whole purpose of "randomness" that this event sought to provide. The big shots with big socs were at an advantage by logging in and out based on wave timing with information brought to them by thier minions. Not saying they did anything wrong, but it loses the pure randomness when people with lots of friends can time their playing based on their friends info who are in zones. I would eliminate the waves of sacs we all clearly saw. It was so robotic, it amazed me, and I felt like it wasn't random the whole time.

It's not fun hunting for 3 hours straight and getting nothing but rotten sacs. Based on the statistics you have provided, at 80 dps that is an amazing statistical improbability, IF the drops were truly random.

The dry period also seemed to coincide with my prime playing time at GMT+4, which was frustrating, nothing but Rottens until round about 11 each night when the others would start to drop. Unfortunately that's also when I needed to go to sleep so I could go to work and make money to deposit.

If it's going to be "best dps wins" then make it "best dps wins", if it's going to be random then make it random. I don't know what that was.

But the instance was great, loved the music and the visuals.

since noone have suggested it yet, I will say a timer is very much needed.

...and closed categories, like Mayhem.

Great event 40H max and the sacs dropps random is verry good please more of this kind of event whit timelimit.
but we need a ingame timer to know the time.
Thanx Ma for a event im realy like.

Great event but total noob players are left out (you cant compete with korss h400 (L) as it would have gotten you maybe 1k points which is far from any priced spot), so change the 100th place to 500th or something like that to attract even the smaller players (ubers would play as much, but total noob would also kill few in hope to get that 500th place). (Girts won the 100th place that should say something about this event being little bit high levelled)

Forgot, CLDs instead of CTDs :yup:

Seriously, it would have been nice to have special itemz as loot instead of destroying the price muscle oil (not that it necessarily was any good to start with).

Everything Oleg said

And this:

It's not fun hunting for 3 hours straight and getting nothing but rotten sacs. Based on the statistics you have provided, at 80 dps that is an amazing statistical improbability, IF the drops were truly random.

The dry period also seemed to coincide with my prime playing time at GMT+4, which was frustrating, nothing but Rottens until round about 11 each night when the others would start to drop. Unfortunately that's also when I needed to go to sleep so I could go to work and make money to deposit.

If it's going to be "best dps wins" then make it "best dps wins", if it's going to be random then make it random. I don't know what that was.

But the instance was great, loved the music and the visuals.

The above post sums up everything, all the pros and cons. :yup:
This event wasn't truly random, as it was time period based with higher dps giving a slightly better advantage.
If the winners are determined by highest dps, then state it.
If the winners are determined by most loot from 17-20 EU time, then state it.

Regular loot needed to be improved. I got 96 globals and the only items I looted were a couple of low level MF chips a a couple of pieces of polaris. Some regular L weapon drops would have made the event much better.

Entrances closer to a town, rather annoying to have to do 2 tp II chip jumps to get to the entrance.

Timer of course.

The ability to hand in the mission once completed and then run the instances for fun if you want to.

Much better balance of mobs and points. Noobs couldn't even touch cave 1 and the ubers (afaik) found it worthless to enter cave 4 and so everyone capabale of doing the event was in cave 1 or 2.

A suprise bonus prize for the sucker who ended up 21st.

Back