Graphics card died while playing Entropia

Wistrel

Elite
Society
Entropia Pioneers
Wistrel (Wisty) Chianti
Hello

First off, I should state this was likely a complete coincidence. I'd had Entropia running 1024x768 windowed on my spare screen for an hour or two and then PC rebooted, graphics card driver now always says it was stopped due to errors and the fan goes crazy, stuck at 640x480. The card (GeForce 680GTX) came from a friend who had had it in a shuttle PC many years ago and felt he'd been having overheat problems so eventually sacked it off for a less toasty 970. I got it it for free therefore.

Throughout the time I've had it, I used to get fairly regular "driver stopped working" messages which stopped after an update but I'd still get moments where suddenly the PC would hiccup for want of a better phrase (kinda audio would elongate for a moment) - very similar to what it used to do when the driver actually fell over. It was usually during playing videos or something. Generally I assumed it was the card being a problem.

So yeh, think the card wasn't in a great state to begin with and maybe it's a miracle it has lasted this long. I just thought I'd ask though if anyone else has ever noticed any unusual graphics card issues while running Entropia? Or had a card die even?

Cheers
Wistrel

I remember burning one GPU while mining Arkadia underground. Even lost a few claims. ☹️

PS: If you rig have internal graphics, like all modern CPU have, your PC might reboot using the Intel graphics with very low resolution and not been able to play. Check windows system to make sure which graphic is working.

9HoL5no.jpg

Last edited:
If overheating is really the issue, did you change the thermalpaste? It tends to dry out after some time and then works less efficient. And @messi91 that card is 10years old and while it pales in comparsion with current hardware, especially when it comes to power consumption, its not like you NEED current hardware for a game that runs an engine thats from about the same time

Last edited:
If i had issues with that kind of setup i wuld use a modern calculator, i am confident that it Performs better....

Talking about overheating , during Summer my computer room reaches 32c and my screen starts to stutter...
I actualy bought a AC to cool down that shit

dumbass me clicked the play button :hammer::hammer::hammer:
your just the only one admitting it ;)
Talking about overheating , during Summer my computer room reaches 32c and my screen starts to stutter...
I actualy bought a AC to cool down that shit
39c in the shade plus humidity here in Spain nearly melted mine too.

Last edited:
nokia of graphic cards

I have me a
Hello

The card (GeForce 680GTX) came from a friend who had had it in a shuttle PC many years ago and felt he'd been having overheat problems so eventually sacked it off for a less toasty 970. I got it it for free therefore.

Cheers
Wistrel
I have me a 970 as well, however it was one of the early 970's that had the class action lawsuit because its advertised benchmarks were false or something, so I got like a $100 rebate on it, this was way back in 2015 so almost a decade now. geeze time flies.

Hello

First off, I should state this was likely a complete coincidence. I'd had Entropia running 1024x768 windowed on my spare screen for an hour or two and then PC rebooted, graphics card driver now always says it was stopped due to errors and the fan goes crazy, stuck at 640x480. The card (GeForce 680GTX) came from a friend who had had it in a shuttle PC many years ago and felt he'd been having overheat problems so eventually sacked it off for a less toasty 970. I got it it for free therefore.

Throughout the time I've had it, I used to get fairly regular "driver stopped working" messages which stopped after an update but I'd still get moments where suddenly the PC would hiccup for want of a better phrase (kinda audio would elongate for a moment) - very similar to what it used to do when the driver actually fell over. It was usually during playing videos or something. Generally I assumed it was the card being a problem.

So yeh, think the card wasn't in a great state to begin with and maybe it's a miracle it has lasted this long. I just thought I'd ask though if anyone else has ever noticed any unusual graphics card issues while running Entropia? Or had a card die even?

Cheers
Wistrel
Sorry this happened :/ You say you were playing windowed mode on your spare screen, what about your main screen?

I just thought I'd ask though if anyone else has ever noticed any unusual graphics card issues while running Entropia? Or had a card die even?

Sometimes I wonder if I need to work on my English skills. The above seems to have been misinterpreted as:
  • Please take the piss
  • Please give me tech support
  • Please doubt my integrity
  • Please suggest ways I may raise funds for new hardware
I wasn't asking for any of the above. I was simply asking if the more tech savvy among you might have ever noticed any unusual activity on their cards when playing entropia as opposed to say other games that are way more graphically impressive.

For example back when I had a 1GB mem graphics card, I used to have issues with Tombraider 2013 running out of graphics mem during cut scenes. This was reported in GPUz.

The low tech equivalent would be if someone noticed firing up something modern had no hit on their GPU but running entropia made it get hot or something like make the fan noisey.

Anyhow. No worries if no one has. That's a good thing. Hopefully there's no pattern. It would be of interest to MA if there was.

Wistrel

having 'vertical sync' active (limitting frame rate to 60fps), might get you a couple of extra years out of your gpu, since it won't be maxed out all the time.
Always do

Sorry this happened :/ You say you were playing windowed mode on your spare screen, what about your main screen?
Nothing. I wasn't actually using the PC at the time. My avatar was idle.

I was simply asking if the more tech savvy among you might have ever noticed any unusual activity on their cards when playing entropia as opposed to say other games that are way more graphically impressive.
Maybe a bit off-topic:

Something like 15 years ago I TP-ed to a TP of a by then newly released area, can't remember which one, it was one of those with snow/white terrain around them. Then my PC shut down completely as if I had flipped the power switch. After that I wasn't able to log in again as my PC kept shutting down while logging in.

In a support case I asked them relocate me, which they did, and I was able to play again. I avoided that TP until I bought a new PSU.

In the end I never knew the actual cause of it, it may as well could have been that the GPU required too much power. Sadly I can't remember what card I had...

your gpu is trying to tell you to get a new one

re install you gpu driver when doing so do a clean install it first removes all old driver file to make sure it all good.
also run a cmd as admin then run the following command
sfc /scannow

this command will check all windows files for bad data and fix them hope this helps.

Entropia is hard on graphic cards. Fan speeds go up when playing. Add another fan, internal or external and turn it on when playing. problems solved.

Of course, better, more eloquent solution is stop depositing 6 months and put any deposit money you would have put in in to buing a new computer, or do so for a year and get even better gear. ;)

Sometimes I wonder if I need to work on my English skills. The above seems to have been misinterpreted as:
  • Please take the piss
I wasn't asking for any of the above. I was simply asking if the more tech savvy among you might have ever noticed any unusual activity on their cards when playing entropia as opposed to say other games that are way more graphically impressive.

This comes off as very rude imo. All the replies seem on topic to me, and it is hard to give you a worthwhile answer without touching base on some of those points. The answer is no. Which does very little for you if im gonna be very honest with you. It is best you really understand the issue so you know what to do moving forward, and not have to remotely assume eu fried your gpu. This isn't just for you, but anyone else that might stumble across this thread with a similar question.

A GTX 970 is old. Its prolly been through a lot of mileage. Given its age, it is likely to be less efficient, and generating more heat than a newer gpu for the same performance, further shortening its remaining life span. It is very possible that no one has bothered to reapply thermal paste, and if thats the case the thermal paste was bone dry by this time, again further shortening its life. If you spent most its life in your hands using it for EU, than it is only likely it was gonna die while you were playing EU. Thats it.

Get yourself a modern one, and you shouldn't have to worry about it for a long time. I don't know what platform you are using, or what your psu is capable of, so I guess you will just have to figure that all on your own since you take offense to a little tech support.

Your issue with tomb raider was clearly the 1gb vram. That is not necessarily the gpu's fault or the game's fault, but someone trying to make it do something it can't really handle.

EU is very easy to run, I've tested it on a 650 ti, 1050 ti, 1070, 1080, rtx 3060 ti, quadro k420, rx 6600 xt. All of them in serviceable condition and none of them went belly up. EDIT: And what ever GPU is in the steam deck I completely forgot. Some AMD one iirc

Last edited:
Didn't Nvidia stop supporting GTX 600 series of cards almost 2 years ago?

I am amazed you still had it running, should have died long ago.

• Please take the piss

For example back when I had a 1GB mem graphics card, I used to have issues with Tombraider 2013 running out of graphics mem during cut scenes. This was reported in GPUz.

The low tech equivalent would be if someone noticed firing up something modern had no hit on their GPU but running entropia made it get hot or something like make the fan noisey.

Anyhow. No worries if no one has. That's a good thing. Hopefully there's no pattern. It would be of interest to MA if there was.

Wistrel
I am sorry if my post was not helpful. I just thought mentioning that there were 2 versions of the 970 series, the pre and post class action versions, might be of help. I also was just reminiscing. I used that card for my first fully custom built pc, something i had wanted to do for years.

Jesus, what's wrong with you people? the 680 came out the same year as mass effect 3, you people act like it's a badly peeled potato. the fuck?

it's perfectly fine for PE and like 75% of steam games.

but nah, PE didn't kill any of my graphic cards and I'd be very surprised if any software not made to do that, could even be responsible.

Jesus, what's wrong with you people? the 680 came out the same year as mass effect 3, you people act like it's a badly peeled potato. the fuck?

but nah, PE didn't kill any of my graphic cards and I'd be very surprised if any software not made to do that, could even be responsible.
It can run entropia fine but its a 11 year old gpu, my 750 ti was not cutting it anymore for pretty much any game made after 2017-18 and I upgraded to a newer pc with a rx 590 in 2020. Tech gets outdated pretty fast nowadays and most game devs dont bother optimizing their games for pretty much any gpu 4 years old+, even my rx 590 cant even run some recent games on high settings at 60 fps because of this.

Last edited:
You think its fine , but its rly not

Huge diference if you play with 30 fps and stutters straight out of hell

Or smooth 200+ while gpu uses like 10% of its Power

The GeForce GTX 680 was a high-end graphics card by NVIDIA, launched on March 22nd, 2012.

My dude,

its over a decade old.

Typing this It made me realise that you are simply being sarcastic, but then i read your post again and I am even more confused.

If you think that the tech in 2012 is even remotely close to what we have today.... well..... thats a badly peeled potato.

when the maker of the card announces that they are killing the support for said card, its time to get a new one... let alone wait 2 years PAST the end of support lol :D

The GeForce GTX 680 was a high-end graphics card by NVIDIA, launched on March 22nd, 2012.

My dude,

its over a decade old.

Typing this It made me realise that you are simply being sarcastic, but then i read your post again and I am even more confused.

If you think that the tech in 2012 is even remotely close to what we have today.... well..... thats a badly peeled potato.

when the maker of the card announces that they are killing the support for said card, its time to get a new one... let alone wait 2 years PAST the end of support lol :D

So the motto of the story is if it ain't broke get a hammer and let at it till its in a billion pieces !
there problem fixed :ROFLMAO:

Back