How does Rocktropia earn income?

thoreau

Elite
Hiro Protagonist
Sorry if I'm being a bit thick headed this morning, but how does Rocktropia make money?

Is it from decay? If so, then the servers report where the decay occurs and logs that somewhere so money can be sent to the planet partner.

Is it from a hidden tax? If planet partners are like landareas then there is a tax that is paid based on loot. If this is true shouldn't we be informed of that tax?

I know that MA makes money from decay but I'm not sure if that model changed with the move to a platform and planet partners.

are you sure they're hidden taxes ...

I thought the idea was that it's a 50/50 split of decay...

Decay or whatever you call that small fee.

I understood that they get it same way as MA. Was it like 50% to planet partner and 50% to MA from the actions done in planet partners planet.(?)

EDIT: DoubleWolf was faster :p

The owners gets a percentage of the decay and shopping tax generated on their planet and the initial sale of estates as there will be apartments soon most of which will be bought by people to resell or as investments ;)

RT earns money same exact way as calypso.. only difference is ND and company only get half MA takes the other.

Which totally baffles me why MA would not put jack shit in for the miners on RT. They are losing sooooo much money from ore moving about and being drilled and yada yada yada...

And yes I believe it would be MA putting the underground resourses in to regulate ubers and rares.

The same way as Calypso, through decay, which seems to be an awful lot :eek:

Hopefully its identical to cylapso. So hunting on non taxed area in cylapso = identical to non taxed area on any planet. Hunting on 4% tax area on cylapso = identical to hunting on 4% taxed area on any other planet.

As long as thats how it works, i could care less exactly how they take their cut!

My theory however is its a global tax you dont see. Take whatever long term tt return players get and subtract that from 100%, there is your global tax rate that ma/the planet partner get/split. That would be somewhere around 5-10%.

After reading this thread one thing came to mind...

Over and over I have read and heard about how much the mobs on RT decay armor a lot. Damged designed to increase decay in the absence of a pure tax...?

Hmmmm.

I believe their income stems from their license to print money.

I believe it may be something closer to 60%/40% in MindArk's Favor... Read it somewhere last night trying to find the figure the planet partners have to put down. Now my question is can the planet partner make a LA? and sell it to generate more income for themselves?

Now my question is can the planet partner make a LA? and sell it to generate more income for themselves?

It seems so, there are several 0% taxed LAs on Rocktropia which are currently owned by Neverdie (not the normal Neverdie avatar iirc, but it had Neverdie in the name, so his version of Marcus Callender I suppose).

So all he needs to do are make a few more whenever he wants, sell them off, roll in the cash. As I said, a license to print money.

All that and he's still allowed to keep his original avatar and engage with the game as a player.

;)
!!!Neverdie Knows!!!
The real money is in the music
:cool::cool::cool:

Don't make the mistake of thinking backward to look at Rocktopia as some sort of rock themed extension of Calypso... it is not..not even close. It is not even looking for you as miners, hunters, or crafters and Calypso oriented old and newtimers as the real customer.

If you know of Jon's other venues and artistic experiments, in the connection of avatar to real life performances, then you would know that this planet is soul-ly about fusing the musicworld and the web into into new venues for artists and musicians to promote and develop their work. Lemmies Castle and Motorhead will be followed by other bands each with there own castle or club seeking that unique promotional and fun space space for "their" fans. At the moment it's not dififficult to see Motorhead vs Lordi vs Kiss vs Barry Manilow(in his living dead form) vs everybody competitions.

The creation of online studios where musicians from around the world can jam and create music and groups that could have never existed in real life and then having real-life life Avatar club appearences with Avatar generated videos is the next level. It is also not hard to imagine a chain of real life Neverdie clubs or other clubs dedicated to this new fusion of Web and real-life performance or real-life clubs establishing a web presence on Roctopia.

He is
the greatest Avatar and Visionary
The one who really grasps the ultimate vision and potential of Etopia Universe and has the imagination and drive to take it the next level. Smart enough to be the first with Rocktopia locks his postion as the only music planet in the universe real or alternate and smart enough to know that the real money is not in decay or the split with MA. The real money is in the music and his cut of that which is 100%.

:scratch2:
I think

Last edited:
hold it, where would be ND without MA :scratch2:
So who is the true visionary? think about it

:lolup:
You talking to me?
Obviously you don't read the forum
;)
or is that ingnore button
keeping you totally uninformed
:rolleyes:

:lolup:
You talking to me?
Obviously you don't read the forum
;)
or is that ingnore button
keeping you totally uninformed
:rolleyes:

thx for reminding me that talking to u is hopeless really, and yes that ignore button is superb

Don't make the mistake of reading this...

that was sarcasm right?

the business model has been on the MA website for some time, its presented as a 50/50 split on the income that the planet generates from the same method as on Calypso. its not quite 50/50 so that players brought in from another source (ie existing calypso residents) still earn the original planet owners some revenue: so say 50/40/10 for MA/planet/original home planet.

so in answer to one of the OP questions, they must be able to track where avatars spawn and also where decay is incured. the latter is no more complex than the existing tax system, just a matter of recording decay instead of loot.

thx for reminding me that talking to u is hopeless really, and yes that ignore button is superb

It would have saved you the embarassment of making a case for MA that I have been making for a long time and recieving a load of crap from you and others for it.

That sounds so visionary and innovative... just like what musicians in Second Life have been doing for years. :rolleyes:

Yes they have... and so has Neverdie... but his vision goes one step further and that is acting based on that vision and investing big time in a creating specific very marketable places... such as CND... which has developed into another major investments Rocktopia and the supportive, IRL, Neverdie creative studios and of course the Neverdie Brand.

;)
!!!Neverdie Knows!!!
The real money is in the music
:cool::cool::cool:

If you know of Jon's other venues and artistic experiments, in the connection of avatar to real life performances, then you would know that this planet is soul-ly about fusing the musicworld and the web into into new venues for artists and musicians to promote and develop their work. Lemmies Castle and Motorhead will be followed by other bands each with there own castle or club seeking that unique promotional and fun space space for "their" fans. At the moment it's not dififficult to see Motorhead vs Lordi vs Kiss vs Barry Manilow(in his living dead form) vs everybody competitions.

The creation of online studios where musicians from around the world can jam and create music and groups that could have never existed in real life and then having real-life life Avatar club appearences with Avatar generated videos is the next level. It is also not hard to imagine a chain of real life Neverdie clubs or other clubs dedicated to this new fusion of Web and real-life performance or real-life clubs establishing a web presence on Roctopia.

He is
the greatest Avatar and Visionary
The one who really grasps the ultimate vision and potential of Etopia Universe and has the imagination and drive to take it the next level. Smart enough to be the first with Rocktopia locks his postion as the only music planet in the universe real or alternate and smart enough to know that the real money is not in decay or the split with MA. The real money is in the music and his cut of that which is 100%.

I think

ah..neverdie has a muse :D

it all sounds quite wonderful, but back on earth we have this pesky thing called latency, latency is a cruel creature, the enemy of all online rock and roll fantasies.

in music, timing is everything, timing makes the difference between a brilliant musician and a mediocre one.

if you have ever heard a band play live, imagine the drummer and the bass player have a slight delay between making a note, and hearing it, now imagine all players in the band having a different delay to each other.

i hope you like experimental jazz..because thats what its going to sound like..if your lucky :p

that is the current situation with jamming online.
it is not going to happen any time soon.

that was sarcasm right?

the business model has been on the MA website for some time, its presented as a 50/50 split on the income that the planet generates from the same method as on Calypso. its not quite 50/50 so that players brought in from another source (ie existing calypso residents) still earn the original planet owners some revenue: so say 50/40/10 for MA/planet/original home planet.

From documentation i read , it is 50% / 50% write clearly that way...
And its share of decay + fee...
Fee are (from that documentation) all the rent and fee in EU , like auction fee , renting shop fee,renting flat fee...

it all sounds quite wonderful, but back on earth we have this pesky thing called latency, latency is a cruel creature, the enemy of all online rock and roll fantasies.

in music, timing is everything, timing makes the difference between a brilliant musician and a mediocre one.

if you have ever heard a band play live, imagine the drummer and the bass player have a slight delay between making a note, and hearing it, now imagine all players in the band having a different delay to each other.

i hope you like experimental jazz..because thats what its going to sound like..if your lucky :p

Depends on the musicians..

Musicians are some of the most imaginative people I know and I'm sure they can work it to their advantage... it would have it's own musical qualities...

hey, well,

in RL we also have a latency. it's called sound speed.
i've just calced that for 2 musicians playing just 5 meters from each others, the "ping" is 30ms ! :eek: (15 ms to go and 15 to come back) (5m) / (340m/s)

so it could actualy happen not so late... or do i suck at maths? :laugh:

hey, well,

in RL we also have a latency. it's called sound speed.
i've just calced that for 2 musicians playing just 5 meters from each others, the "ping" is 30ms ! :eek: (15 ms to go and 15 to come back) (5m) / (340m/s)

so it could actualy happen not so late... or do i suck at maths? :laugh:

heh, i had never thought of that, i guess that explains the crappy timing of a lot of guitar players i have know :p

i guess i should of been a bit more specific in that the latency online is not a fixed value.

I believe it may be something closer to 60%/40% in MindArk's Favor... Read it somewhere last night trying to find the figure the planet partners have to put down. Now my question is can the planet partner make a LA? and sell it to generate more income for themselves?

qoute from http://www.neverdie.com/rocktropia/2009-time-community-rep.html

For a little while I will handle the community responsibilities here on this forum.. Also check the login or neverdienews.com for announcements..

Add questions to the FAQ for more specific stuff.

Regarding taxed land areas, they are all owned by the respective artists or organizations. Not by Neverdie.

Lemmy's castle is owned by Lemmy
Motörhead stadium by Motorhead
B.A.M.F by Kevin Rudolf
Evil cathedral by .... to be announced soon! Exciting news.

Our artists and marketing partners will be adding content and bringing their fan bases to rocktropia.. if u want to support them u can hunt or mine on their lands. If not there are plenty of public non taxed areas in ROCKtropia

To extend the question - does each planet partner have the ability to design their own items alone or is it done under MA's guidance?

For example, could a planet partner populate their world with high decay items? Conversely, could a planet partner become a 'bargain' world with very low decay?

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick headed this morning, but how does Rocktropia make money?

I know that MA makes money from decay but I'm not sure if that model changed with the move to a platform and planet partners.

Well I am not sure like you, because only "from decay" means that return rate is allways 100% of bullets. But that is not true!

They have fixed costs, regardless of the number of players who we are and how much is our deposits. Therefore, if the deposits are less, also take money from the loot. Basic Economics friend.

To extend the question - does each planet partner have the ability to design their own items alone or is it done under MA's guidance?

For example, could a planet partner populate their world with high decay items? Conversely, could a planet partner become a 'bargain' world with very low decay?

just aproach ur questions from a business partner point of view
Do u think it would be interesting 4 ur customers to find same gameplay only in different look? Same stats on all just different names&textures?

Also think about revenue model - wouldn't u want to have control over ur income?

Back