How long should it take to finish a beacon mission?

How long should it take to finish a beacon mission?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nah, just that you have to survive for 24 hours :silly2:

Else it would be too easy to exploit ;)

Absolutely nobrainer, ever thought that some EU players have jobs RL, so they can´t surive 24h without losing their RL job.

Absolutely nobrainer, ever thought that some EU players have jobs RL, so they can´t surive 24h without losing their RL job.

Well apart from it being mainly a joke, I'd also like to claim that most of those also have weekends ;) and there are other games that have 24 hour missions, for example some racing games :wise:

Let's assume that you're doing a beacon mission with a team of five people appropriately geared and skilled for the beacon. How long would you like for the beacon mission to last?

This question should have been asked when flying to another planet! Cause 1 hour is way to long!

I know, this belongs on another thread.....i just had to bitch here first :yup:

I still think the Beacon Mission should be to board a robot Mother Ship and be transported (auto-warped) to Akbal-Cimi where the beacon mission will actually happen. Take it home to the metal heads. This could still be an instanced dungeon like place, just a little more complex. This idea might be too complicated for something like a Beacon Mission but I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to invade the robot home world for a change.

The end result would be we would have to fight our way through the robot Command Centre. For this type of mission I can't see it being complete in 30 minutes to an hour. There has to be a lot of robots near the robot Command Centre on Akbal-Cimi fgs. Of course Akbal-Cimi would have repair stations and TT's.

The timer would start when beacon is activated and holder is transported to the robot MS. Say 2 hours round trip from Summons by Beacon holder to the time the robot MS becomes aware it has been hijacked and explodes near the departure planet. We would die and be revived on the planet or a Space Station not floating dead things in space to be looted :p

More on timing. The holder of the beacon would be in control of getting summons out to the people on the planet to depart for Akbal-Cimi. If it was me I would summon my whole FL. When the Beacon holder / owner turns it on she is teleported to the robot MS and given a predetermined amount of time to summon and get people there. After that predetermined time has expired off goes the robot MS into warp. Arriving in the atmosphere of Akbal-Cimi where all the mission team are automagiaclly teleported to the staging area outside of the Command Centre.

Then the mission begins. Fight our way into Command and kill the boss. There would be boxes ofc and things to explore / loot / find. Killing the boss would trigger the retrieval signal, something like a summons back to the MS you can't ignore. Poof there you are back on the robot MS that is warping back to human space.

Would be great fun for any large society, especially if there were some seriously good prizes to be had from getting in and getting out.

Last edited:
Length of beacon missions should equate to size!

Why not cater to all players, revamp the beacon numbers (23,25,29,35) to represent length and complexity. Not all players have an hour, but maybe 30 minutes so label and adjust them so a quick beacon is a 15 (15 minutes) a medium is a 30 (30 minutes) a long is a 60 (60 minutes) and a extended one is a 90 (90 minutes), then furthermore classify them according to skills and mobs/mob strength encountered such as E (Easy) M (Moderate) H (Hard). So you would find beacons such as 60M (Approx 60 minutes to finish, Medium Skill Level).

If you did this you could create missions that anyone in EU could try. Also this method will allow for all kinds of expansion and options with little changes to the overal scheme.

Just don't forget to get together with the loot balancing team and make sure the beacons are rewarding to both MA and the teams, or it will be another bust!

Just my 2 cents.... Cheers :yup:

On second though MA, Scratch This Idea..... It makes too much sence.

Last edited:
About balancing, and balancing beacons:

I just hope, that the beacons will have some rare items, like it was in vu9. Filter was a great loot, if you did the old beacons.

About balancing, and balancing beacons:

I just hope, that the beacons will have some rare items, like it was in vu9. Filter was a great loot, if you did the old beacons.

Motion seconded:tiphat:

45 to 60 minutes from this end of the Bar..

Used to be something like ...

1hr to get the team together ready to call the ship down *sigh*
20min to kill the mobs on the way up
5min to loot on the way down.

If you only run with people in your own timezone a longer one could be fun, but keeping a full team of players from multi-timezones for long periods is difficult.
Also as I'm assuming there wont be TT's or repair terminals in there, realistically, how long can you continuously maintain a hunting run for ?
(unless ofc, your budget runs to carrying multiple UL amp/weapon/armor sets along with you)
i agree with this

for the beacons we used to do we partially had people logging off before we got the team together
you know how it goes
"whos up for beacon mission?"
5 times yes
once "but i first have to wait til this auction ends"
"got to hunt for 10 min more"
"ups, cant, logging off in 12 min"

etc

I voted 45mins as some time u have longer so u take ur time other times its 4:30am & ur on ur 4th Beacon & u need to get some sleep b4 work in 3hrs :ahh::eyecrazy:

Cant wait to see what u have come up with but MA make note.....Dont waste this chance to make the game fun again:yup: Others have said it already NO TIME LIMIT:deal: If u must make it double what ur average team will need so we can train new players.

Like already said was not much wrong with old Beacons so just use them as a guide & it will be fine (More consistent loot this time especially if we kill the boss)

& yep going to be a big shame agi doesnt make much diff now to lvls as 1yr players can keep up with 4yrs no probs:scratch2: What about weight as well we used to strip extra gear for the speed :yup:

Been way to long lets get em going already :yay:

I say 60 minutes minimum, especialy training new players, can be problematic.

I'm sure the timer to loot boxes before though was longer than 5 minutes, took a good minute or there abouts, if memory serves to run down from 1 level to the other.

But as others have said before, give a big time limit to these new ones, so people can explore a little and familiarise themselves, say 3 weeks or so, unless the lay out is basically the same.

Best yet, give us some details of change, has it changed much, complete new levels, harder bots, do we still loot boxes etc etc?
Then we can give a judgement to times needed to complete them.

Or give us all 1 beacon free of charge to test :)

I think 30-40 minutes as before to make the run up is good. If you want to plan for a longer session, we used to just buy multiple beacons...think the most was 6 in a row for our soc? As Das stated in his post, this is a hard question to answer because there is a lot we don't know yet...what is the cost (beacon TT & markup, and cost of killing all the mobs on the way up) and what is the return. As long as the average return covers 70-90% of the cost with rare profitable run, then people will keep doing them for the fun. If we lose a lot in the cost of the ammo/decay to get through the beacon, then the longer it runs for, the more we lose...the % return on the total cost to do a mission will directly affect how long we are willing to spend completing it.

One of the biggest things you could do to help keep the cost down is to make sure you drop plenty of them please, so markup is not a big part of the cost as it was before. Beacons should be practically TT food. Almost seemed like before, beacons had to be a loss for you guys. At least from what I remember, the loot almost always covered the actual TT costs of completing (ammo, decay, beacon TT cost). What it mostly did not cover was the markup cost on the beacon. Only covering that markup cost on rare occasions, sometimes with profit. As MU doesn't go to you guys, how did you make money on them before? If you drop plenty of them, so practically no MU, then it's normal hunting returns for you. If beacon drops are rare then can't see how you can drop enough loot in the boxes to make it worth doing these for player base, other than a few times as novelty and then most ppl stop doing them.

Drop em like animal hides please :)

Well, at least drop enough that MU is reasonable...20-40 ped (assuming TT values as before), instead of 200-400 ped.

Last edited:
Drop em like animal hides please :)

Well, at least drop enough that MU is reasonable...20-40 ped (assuming TT values as before), instead of 200-400 ped.

beacons should have fairly high MU , making it a special event for a soc or group of people, not just everyday activity.

to ensure the high markup they should be rare, and loot on beacons should be balanced in a way that more MU stuff is dropped.

beacons used to be fun beacuse of the excitement that you were going on a mission with your team.

if they make it tt food its just another everyday grind.

beacons should have fairly high MU , making it a special event for a soc or group of people, not just everyday activity.

to ensure the high markup they should be rare, and loot on beacons should be balanced in a way that more MU stuff is dropped.

beacons used to be fun beacuse of the excitement that you were going on a mission with your team.

if they make it tt food its just another everyday grind.

Not TT food, of course not! But also not high MU. In old VU9 the little ones was cheap, and the large Beacons had some nice MU.. It should be like that.

Some PPL like to do beacons every day.. for this kind of play it is cool, if the little Beacons not have a large MU.

45 minutes sounds fair. Average LoL match time ;)

Well as they are right now you have 30 minutes to get to and kill the boss and then 5 minutes for looting boxes.

Agility does not differs the speed different avatars run, in old beacons avatars with highest Agility were running to lowest levels, now getting there in time can be tricky.

Also i think 30 minutes time limit might be frustrating, especially at beginning, when we will have to explore 'new' beacons.

Voted 45 min

I did the beacon missions thing a couple of time now

It is good, take back all the critism I said about beacon

Dont change it now...

keep as it is please.

repeat

It is good dont change it.

( loot can always better )

45 minutes to an hour sounds good.
That's atleast how long i can stay on focus when in a team. :laugh:

If you insist to keeping them like it is now there is no idea even discussing the time limits as it's just bring the largest gun you can press autofire and run x5 then stop shooting the boss when it has 5% hp left and everyone dies, then the one with largest gun/armor/hp kills the boss while all other stands next to their box and it is all done in 5 seconds...

No planning or tactic needed at all anymore so why even bother asking about the time? I have done 23pedder, 25pedder and 29pedder so far, so speak from my own experience

PS. we didn't do it like this but me with 72 agility went out of the beacon with a minute or so to spare while I looted 2 boxes on my way back from boss level

My amp decay in about 2300 shoots.
Time needed for beacon shud be less than that.

Back