Question: Incentive to new players?

Jorael

Soul Keeper
Jaeon Jorael Shardoz
I've been around for a long time now and i basically forgot how hard it can be for new players to become incentivated to stick around in EU / FPC.

I know that a new player might be in awe with the new world, since it's so big and detailed...

but if he has no chance of a kickstart without having to go around collecting dung / sweat / fruit (which takes ages to get 10 ped), chances are he might leave... Since its so boring and there's so much more action in other F2P games compared to that.

Also, FPC has new RCE competition around the block, which makes it even harder to catch and hold new players.

I was thinking about how special items could spawn once in a while around the scenario - Items like rare plants / elements / old artifacts.

The new player would have a starting NPC giving him this quest, finding items that could be traded to an NPC for one of 3 packs:

pack 1 - Gun + ammo + Heal Kit.
pack 2 - Orefinder + bombs + extractor
pack 3 - basic blueprint + resources

This would allow a new player to have a feel of the profession system and hopefully becoming addicted to it and then make a deposit.

However...This represents a potential problem bringing farmers, so these items would have to be:

- Not tradeable or sellable to TT - they would have to be used and spent, and then if the new player was lucky, he could get some peds from it...

- The spawns would have to be uncommon.. and only generated in the presence of players below a certain level.

- Once a new player has reached a certain level (like level 2), the NPC says he has no more work to offer, and it's time to go out and find yourself a mentor.

My concern is simple. New players make FPC go round. With so much MMO competition these days, for as low as $10 a month, the curve to new players should be alot smoother and enticing than it is now.

Comments...?

Basically I agre with you, would make it more interesting for players to play some hours.

Problem I see:
If they can loot something with ammo for free, farmers woudl generate new avatars all the time. That would be stupid for MA and also stupid for other players.

If noobs could hunt for free like your suggestion, but they are not allowed to keep any loot... they come to a different game concept on level 2...

So I like the approach, but I don't see a way how it would work in a EU environment.

+rep

Nice aproach but there is the chance for money from nothing like Smoerble said

I still think that sweating is not that bad to start with (if MF would have some use beside TP it would work well)

What i like is a basic quest system to get a grip on the professions but i'd do it in an isolated way. Let new comers select if they want to start right away or first enter a "trial zone" where they could get stuff from NPCs to try the professions in a test scenario. All items get deleted when they go to real world.
You could also have an NPC that offers hunting at p5a lvl or something like that just to try and see how it will be with enough skills.
Call it a VR Simulation on the space station and it would fit the story too

Nice aproach but there is the chance for money from nothing like Smoerble said

I still think that sweating is not that bad to start with (if MF would have some use beside TP it would work well)

But what about sweat? and dung and fruit? That is money for nothing also, right?.

The suggestion is making something that directly gives the player a preset kit to have a taste of the game.

Its a good way to make him explore the world in search of quest item (and the NPC could be blunt about being for new players only), and let him have a feel of the profession systems.

I sweated for 10min when i was a noob. I swore i'd never do it again. It's traumatizing lol.

What i like is a basic quest system to get a grip on the professions but i'd do it in an isolated way. Let new comers select if they want to start right away or first enter a "trial zone" where they could get stuff from NPCs to try the professions in a test scenario. All items get deleted when they go to real world.
You could also have an NPC that offers hunting at p5a lvl or something like that just to try and see how it will be with enough skills.
Call it a VR Simulation on the space station and it would fit the story too.

I like this. A crib of some kind.

Problem I see:
If they can loot something with ammo for free, farmers woudl generate new avatars all the time. That would be stupid for MA and also stupid for other players.

We are talking about 5-10 peds of ammo. And you have to work for the kits too. You need to go out exploring the huge scenario and FIND the item that the NPC wants. It could take you hours or days.!!

If noobs could hunt for free like your suggestion, but they are not allowed to keep any loot... they come to a different game concept on level 2...

They can't trade the items given to test the system, but they do have a chance of loot from the items. If they don't feel the system can give them something if they are lucky, then why would they stay?

Last edited:
But what about sweat? and dung and fruit? That is money for nothing also, right?.

Yes but the TT value is so damn low that there is no drain for MA as sweat/fruit will be sold to other players -> they pay not MA
If there would be the chance to loot the normal way you would gain TT value way above the TT of sweat/fruit/stones and so creating a drain at the "lootpool" that will not be payed by MA but by us and not by choice (you don't have to use sweat/fruits/stones) but as a must.

I strongly oppose any way to gain real TT value without using TT value to get it.

PS @ my VR idea
It could be terrible but guess some ppl would see depositing as a real good thing after using nice equipment in a training simulation. Terrible because there will still be a skill requirement that has to be fullfilled before using that stuff in the real EU world

Yes but the TT value is so damn low that there is no drain for MA as sweat/fruit will be sold to other players -> they pay not MA
If there would be the chance to loot the normal way you would gain TT value way above the TT of sweat/fruit/stones and so creating a drain at the "lootpool" that will not be payed by MA but by us and not by choice (you don't have to use sweat/fruits/stones) but as a must.

I strongly oppose any way to gain real TT value without using TT value to get it.

Good point.

Well, the loot code for newcomers using the provided packs could be programmed so that they never loot above the value of what is given.

PS @ my VR idea
It could be terrible but guess some ppl would see depositing as a real good thing after using nice equipment in a training simulation. Terrible because there will still be a skill requirement that has to be fullfilled before using that stuff in the real EU world

I like your VR idea.

Perhaps a merge would be the best idea?

Player gets quest > goes out finds item > trades to NPC for a kit that allows him to experiment a profession inside a holo room / VR space, where he can kill / mine / craft for a feel of the system, but once out all loot is returned to MA. (We are talking like 20 probes / 10 ped ammo / 10 ped craft resource..)

Well i see no negative sides of this what so ever.

All can easily be sorted and prevent farming by logging the ammouts of accounts greated from one and the same IP under a short ammount of time.

When more then 3 accounts from the same IP has been created, the accounts will lock down and they have to submit photo ID / passport to MA to show that they really have this many persons in the family using the same IP to play entropia.

All problems sorted.

Also, the TT shouldnt be high (Max 2 ped) (Not making it worth to "farm" these) and the items should be untradeable, and they would give 0 ped from trade terminal if sold.

I totaly support it!

Perhaps a merge would be the best idea?

Player gets quest > goes out finds item > trades to NPC for a kit that allows him to experiment a profession inside a holo room / VR space, where he can kill / mine / craft for a feel of the system, but once out all loot is returned to MA. (We are talking like 20 probes / 10 ped ammo / 10 ped craft resource..)

I like that
As an addition this VR-tickets could also be looted (low TT and rare) to give the established playerbase the option to try out weapons or whatever in a way that would be close to undoable in the real environment - here you could see how it would be to use shadow against a mob or just try your next weapon of choice against your favorite mob without buying it first (this might be a little drawback for selling stuff but i think the general satisfaction would compensate for that)

they could play like a dream scenario where you arrive in a full pvp/robot invasioin with full gear armour etc after the introduction event you awake in PA

How'bout an incentive for longtime players? :rolleyes:

but if he has no chance of a kickstart without having to go around collecting dung / sweat / fruit (which takes ages to get 10 ped), chances are he might leave... Since its so boring and there's so much more action in other F2P games compared to that.

The introduction of Planet Calypso to a new player is one of the top priorities we have, with focus on attention grabbing the first seven seconds, the first minute, the first five minutes and the first fifteen minutes. A totally new system is being designed which streamlines the experience and - most importantly - supplies a sense purpose to being a colonist. The backstory and setting is sneaked into the process as well, so you as a player get a context to what, why and how.

It is a big system upgrade and my initial guestimate is that it will launch in spring.

I think even a tutorial at the start, that gives them a gun, ammo and lets them kill some mobs, as an aim tutorial, doing this for the 3 main professions would work.

Obviously they wouldnt keep the loot or weapons but you get the point.

Good that there is a plan and good that there is also communication :)
A road map (no hard facts or ETA) for such systems at Planet Calypso Website would be an even greater achivement

My heart sunk to the bottom when I read the new thing will come around spring... wel good thing is they are working on something wonderful no doubt about it...
But in the meanwhile we have to do what we have to make it fun for newcomers and ourself.

The toughst thing isnt the lack of starter's kits , there are many ways for a new player to get it. There on-going events ensure each new player get a shot, also they can find a lot of things to do at EF.
The biggest problem is continuity. After the starter kit ran out, I mean usualy they will run out in less than 30 min ... cough hahhahahaha
hmm you cant hunt forever with a low TT opalo and 2 ped ammo...

I got the same questions every time fro new players -> What now hahah , acutaly I asked that myself many times aswel... I also notice some players maybe start the game over and over again ... because it is easy to get started , they can also find someone who will provide them a starter kit.

The route between newcomer and settling down can be so long and farway... doesnt reallty help if there is no sweat , ahhhhh you really miss it when it is gone : )

ah wel maybe I just worry too much

A FPC roadmap will come some time after 10.2 is released.

Nice work Marco, things do seem to be pulling along together now i must say... gradually maybe, but still any progression is good :)

Last edited:
How'bout an incentive for longtime players? :rolleyes:

I say blow off all
the long term oldtimer
beggers and whiners
and go for the future
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I like your idea of tasks associated with starter packets it's a first class solution... it would be a great and proper way to orient new players... especailly 100,000's joining in the next year...

I belive there is much more to be done with the structure at the lower levels to increase the retention rate and actually improve the overall economy...

Currently the has been a great deal of discussion about the average new citizens and citizens on the bottom of the economic rung not finding the opportunities to advance and participate beyond sweating and that the drop in the price of sweat has even made dismally unsustainable forcing people into hunting which is even more expensive and unsustainable… and forcing them to deposit… into a something that theoretically you should be able to do for free… very discouraging…

I believe MA should raise the tt price of sweat to… 3 ped p/k and install a sweat cap of 3k per day… same for fruits and stones… that will raise the price of sweat in the market place as resellers and buyers raise their prices and compete with better prices to attract sellers… peds surge up... recycling through the economy increasing social mobility… securing a life in EU

I also believe in work solution much closer to the source of noobs and their sweat and their options... and using existing materials. It would be to make sweat along with brukite a component of a, level 1 blueprint, for making a special damage plus +1 ammunition... or Ammo Red as I like to call it... which can't be obtained at the tt...

It would encourage sweaters to enter the crafting areas and gain skills and interest in crafting... in creating something they actually need and use...and others would want... their own ammunition from materials that they can gain for free...

Last edited:
The introduction of Planet Calypso to a new player is one of the top priorities we have, with focus on attention grabbing the first seven seconds, the first minute, the first five minutes and the first fifteen minutes. A totally new system is being designed which streamlines the experience and - most importantly - supplies a sense purpose to being a colonist. The backstory and setting is sneaked into the process as well, so you as a player get a context to what, why and how.

It is a big system upgrade and my initial guestimate is that it will launch in spring.

A FPC roadmap will come some time after 10.2 is released.

I was away for over a year waiting for Cryengine2 and i said it would either make it or break for me. I think the answer is obvious. I'm back :cool:

Not that i ever left... i just took a long break :D

Anyway, i think it's great to know these things are being planned and will be launched soon. I've been a gamer all my life, and i think that FPC has become top notch, im really amazed at our new virtual world. it's just the new player curve that seemed missing.:yay:

I think that the system works well with the reward comming to those that invest in the game. Invest time, money or (in most cases) both.

This is after all a RCE not a regular MMORPG, therefore for the system to work we need players to deposit and circulate.

I am not a new player nor am i a pregold player. I am somewhere in between and the thought of the game loosing the majority of the power playerbase (i.e. the investors) just to increase the playerbase with preteens just in it because its pretty and free, scares me.

Incentives are there, the possibility to invest and increase your investment if you play smart (or get lucky ;) )

Just my thought on the matter, dont go changing the system too much, the result might turn back and bite you in the rear end.:scared:

Just my thought on the matter, dont go changing the system too much, the result might turn back and bite you in the rear end.:scared:

The issue lies since a new player enters Calypso and decides to deposit. It's the inbetween that lacked a smooth curve. That's what needed to be taken care of - and it's being taken care of like Marco said.

I like the idea of starter kits too. Maby inorder to stop farmers from taking advantage of it they should make it difficult for low level players to withdraw money from the game. Like you have to delete your charicter and fill out a questionaire about why you decided to leave. I'm low level and I doubt that I will be able to withdraw peds and continue playing for quite awhile. Or make it so until you reach a certian level in several skills you can't withdraw more than you deposited.

Thanks at Marco for anwering, and even more thank you that this is planned.

I tell my story from time to time: I was lost in EU, invested 10 or 15 bucks to give it a try and decided to quit 3 months later because i had no idea bou anything... just by accident I met Arven who showed me (without being my mentor or so) what EU can be... and look where I am now: a stupid noob with low skills, but very nice gear, estates and addicted like mad :).

The issue lies since a new player enters Calypso and decides to deposit. It's the inbetween that lacked a smooth curve. That's what needed to be taken care of - and it's being taken care of like Marco said.

I agree. I suppose thats what MA tried to solve with the mentor/disciple system.

I think that every noob deserve a chance to bring something out of noob hood to graduation. Even a usless item would be nice as a momento, however as of EU is of such , its such a hard game to even call new friends in to play. It is definatly not noob friendly and requires great determination to play on, anyone who does not deposit or have friends in game would quit in less than 3 days (new players i mean).

maybe a lottry system for the first deposit? would help if every new account makes a 20 dollar deposit just for this, exsisting players can have a chance too and it will promote non depositers to juz deposit.

If its a top priority, why has the SGA been kicked off, loads of PR for the new engine going out with nothing what-soever avalible for them to do at this current time?

Nice to hear a new system is being developed but what is there for them now and what will be there for them untill that update in spring?

so guess estimate x 3 = close to real eta...

september =>(end spring) jully =>9x3=>27
so , somehow december 2011
so lets say , begining of 2012 :D

BTW : the least would be to make noob spawn in PA nad not in Tresure island...I know you want deathfier to be succeful , but its the wrong imho...

Spring 2010?

*Sits, and scribbles something on his calender for spring 2012*

Back