Is armor an asset or a liability?

Superhal

Prowler
I've been thinking about buying new armor recently. However, after much thought (and much hunting in my ghost,) I've come to realize that hunting is not a guaranteed profit. (Surprised? :D) Better armor means bigger armor means bigger monsters means more ammo means bigger guns means bigger risk means bigger losses.

So my question is: when you are buying armor, is it an investment or a toy?

Well it's an asset, since you can sell it for a higher price.

But that doesn't mean you're gonna HOF all the time :).

it's an investment...

Unlimited armor is an investment. L armor is a toy, especially at the prices on some of it nowadays.

The main thing is that more armor = less need to Fap... so it's a wash really - just depends on if you want to pay decay on armor and get no skills (other than an occassional evade or athletics, etc.) or on faps and get skills in medic (while crossing your fingers that you hit that fap fast enough and don't constantly get the message that the item isn't ready)

Depends on how you use it. From the lower lvl mobs I've hunted (drones and smaller) your Armor+Fap+Plate decay should be less than 10% of your offensive bill (ammo+amp+gun decay) in order to be economical. 5% is a good goal but it all depends on your playing style and there are plenty of theories out there so you can justify any style you chose. I prefer playing as economically as possible though.

narfi

If eco is ur mind set, sell ur ghost and get Gremlin and u shouldnt ever need another set of armor for a long long long time!! (unless of course some bot armor or pk armor) Gremlin is one of the best mid level armors in game imo.. And with more skills, the better it seems the armor is :)

The one thing preventing me from getting gremlin is the 15 impact. I used to have rascal, and it stank vs impact mobs like ambu or even exa stalkers. Back then I only had 2a's though, it's probably a lot different with my 5b's now.

Armor gives you more choices on what you can hunt. Not all of those choices may be good ones. Since I primarily use (L) armor I consider it neither an investment, nor a toy, but a tool to help do what I want.

armour, faps and guns is a tool you need to survive... if I want to hunt on cp I buy gremlin.. if I want to hunt something else I buy the best and cheapest for that kind of mob.. gnome for example..

I wonder.

Evade, Dodge and Avoidance.

To the cost of (bought) skilling up in these against the cost of armour.

For mid level mobs say big troxes small flaxes and hogglos.

I wonder :scratch2:

Jung

After all the time I have played I have come to the conclusion that armor is a waste.

Unless you can afford to be in the 150k usd investors club there is nothing worth wasting ped on armor for. The ped you spend on armor and decay could get you really high evade and dodge.

The system now is so far outta whack its like lighting cigars with 100 dollar bills to use equipment in this game. The cost to benifit ratio on 98% of this stuff is too far off the scale now to bother with.

After they did 2x and 3x skill events and fucked away all skill values for us its far cheaper to put the money into eating evade and dodge chips then get the middle finger for using armor and plates all the time.

I wonder.

Evade, Dodge and Avoidance.

To the cost of (bought) skilling up in these against the cost of armour.

For mid level mobs say big troxes small flaxes and hogglos.

with high evade you get fewer hits but you still need the armour for when you do get hit. take a look at what ubers wear - do they wear cheap armour like Gremlin and Bear or expensive like Angel and Shadow? apart from a few very high skilled players who camp a particular mob, the answer is nearly the expensive option. on the other hand, with out the evade you wont be able to afford the decay cost on the higher end armour.

so, its both. hope that helps :laugh:

I've been thinking about buying new armor recently. However, after much thought (and much hunting in my ghost,) I've come to realize that hunting is not a guaranteed profit. (Surprised? :D) Better armor means bigger armor means bigger monsters means more ammo means bigger guns means bigger risk means bigger losses.

I think its like buying personal auto in RL. You can buy a cheap one and it is very practical decision and you can buy very cool and expensive one and this is mostly a toy, but if you a rich boy why you need cheap one?

Is expensive new car an investment? I tink no.
Is expensive new car better than cheap one. Yes, ofc.

All depends on what you want to do. If you want to hunt a mob that drops items with markup, they'll most likely hit hard. And up to about 75 damage soak (or 100 with ek-2600), using armour is more economical than fapping. Some people will say they save PED using gremlin over ghost, but that's only in the armour decay department, and they more than make up for this in extra fapping costs.

The only point where armour is too much is where you'll be getting hit for 1.0 more than 25% of the time (only if you're wearing plates), or you're paying more than 125% for limited armours.

Some people will say they save PED using gremlin over ghost, but that's only in the armour decay department, and they more than make up for this in extra fapping costs.
unless... you are hunting stuff with more acid damage! Gremlin beats Ghost on that. ;)

I've heard that that alone makes Gremlin better, especially up on CP... but I've never hunted much up there, so don't know if that's still the case. Has Buzz changed any of the mobs up there?

Also interesting in ghost vs gremlin argument that gremlin is looted and ghost is crafted... so in theory, over time, ghost will continue to go down in price due to supply/demand issues. Gremlin can't go down much more in price, so it has to go up over time, I would think. It'll be interesting to see what happens on the new planets... I would assume that Zombies or whatever they hang out with as far as mobs go would do some sort of acid damage?

I just picked up another gremlin part on auction the other day for TT value! ;)

Ultimately, it's all a bunch of personal decisions... A lot of folks, myself included, have at least one set of armor for different mobs, etc. Armor that protects on a lot of different stuff usually ends up costing you more in decay due to protection you are paying for that you did not need, especially if it's too high level for the mobs you hunt... If you only always get 1 point of damage, you likely are hunting with too powerful of an armor for that mob type and are paying for that in decay costs! Better to be protected, but not 100% so that your own health will absorb some of the damage.. and natural healing process can slow down your repair bill.

Last edited:
unless... you are hunting stuff with more acid damage! Gremlin beats Ghost on that. ;)

Well, yes, this is true.

But for everything else, ghost > grem :D (again, other than the situation where you're hunting baby sabakuma in ghost + 5b)

That depends if you should judge after this quote or what you wrote in the title.

In the case of the title, I'd say Yes. ;)

Second..is depending what armor you get and what you use it for. It's not possible imho to label an armor just like that since there is pretty lousy armors with a way to high price tag aswell as there is underestimated armors that goes pretty cheap. It's all in the purpose as I see it.

Armor, I believe, may be split up into several different categories depending on usage.

1) You buy it to resell it at a profit - Investment
2) You buy it to use on mobs - Liability
3) You buy it to use on mobs, you hit the jackpot on first hunt, and then sell, regardless of profit on the armor itself - Tool

Armor, like anything else, is a tool if used properly. If you hunt baby trox in Rutuba, it is a toy, not a tool.

The most eco way to hunt is to hunt things that you can kill without fapping and without armor, using a small fap between kills. Needless to say - this means that you don't have a huge selection of mobs to hunt. There are also mobs that you might be able to soak a crit from, but have high HP and/or regen - mobs like that need armor just due to the duration of the fights.

try chompers in gremlin + 5b

try big atrox in gremlin+5b

try small scipulor in gremlin+5b

try big scipulor in gremlin+5b

Heck, try any big mob in gremlin and whatever plates you want and you'll get your ass kicked.

An armor is uneco agains a mob when you get hit more then half a time for 1.0 dmg.

If you get hit for 1.1 or above then your evader/dodger is responsible for how eco or uneco you are on that mob, not the armor.

If you afford hunting biger mobs, having an armor with better protections it's a must.

I consider it a liability, and this is why I always bought new armor sets/plates whenever I needed them to camp a particular mob. I expected to recover indirectly the investment in them and ususaly I did ;)

I dunno why people think decay is such a huge advantage of gremlin over ghost. Less decay simply means less protection.

I dunno why people think decay is such a huge advantage of gremlin over ghost. Less decay simply means less protection.

In general that's true, but the durability on Gremlin is unusually high which means you can save quite a lot of decy compared to Ghost for only a small decrease in protection (depending on the mob of course).

I find Gremlin a much more useful armour than Ghost for eco hunting.

In general that's true, but the durability on Gremlin is unusually high which means you can save quite a lot of decy compared to Ghost for only a small decrease in protection (depending on the mob of course).

I find Gremlin a much more useful armour than Ghost for eco hunting.

You know a 20 damage hit on ghost will decay 1.536 pec and 1.521 on grem, right?

You know a 20 damage hit on ghost will decay 1.536 pec and 1.521 on grem, right?

Too lazy top dig up the numbers but min decay is where you save the PED.

Those pesky 1 dmg hits are cheaper in Grem compared to Ghost by over a pec i think.

The last time I sold off things I don't use, I kept Gremlin and sold Ghost.

Back on topic, armor IMO is a tool not unlike your weapon and fap. It contributes to the cost to kill each mob. I treat it as an expense to be minimized as it gives no skills. In some situations I will overarmor, but the reward has to be worth the added expense.

Ghost is underrated.

corrected for you.

ah, the Ghost/Gremlin debate. this is the thing, if you are looking at pure economy, and no hunting cold or electric, then Gremlin will save you a few 10th of pec if you are not under protected, otherwise you'll incur extra fapping cost. or put another way, sometimes Gremlin is better.

but sometimes not.

the funny thing is, why are they even directly compared? on the basis of cost they are in the same area, but look at the stats and Ghost is comparable to nemesis, bear and boar, all substantially more costly armours. for stab/cut/impact, gremlin has 75% less protection than Ghost, while Ghost has 90% the protection of Boar. Ghost is great for Feffs and Allo, while Gremlin is great for Kreltin. horses for courses.

this goes to the heart of the asset or liability question, as it rather depends on what you hunt and what armour you have.

You don't have to save money if you don't want to, it's up to you :)

corrected for you.

Please refrain from attempting to "correct" my opinion.
Thanks. ;)

[edit]
I used Ghost almost exclusively from June-October last year, only to find that I had far better options for almost every scenario, already in my inventory. Funnily enough you mentioned Feffs, well personally I found my decay bill was much lower and protection relatively the same when I switched to using Grem on them (initially was Kobold/5b then Ghost/5b then Grem/5b). This can be backed up by Entropedia.
Eventually I sold my Ghost set and almost exclusively used Grem/5b/2a, Tiger L/5b (sometimes Martial if the part's were cheap), TT armor/6a or just plain went naked.
With my new ava, having learnt my lessons, I have zero intentions of buying Ghost. Ever.

Last edited:
I see armor as a toy that ties up valuable peds that you could be loosing crafting or mining but you will have alot more fun hunting...
did I say loosing?

Back