mentoring, tips and experiences

Alice

Slayer
Society
Rising Potentials
Alice in Wonderland
since i got several pms asking for tips about mentoring, i finally decided to give some info about my style, that might look a bit like newbie harvesting sometimes
i guess several well established mentors will agree on some parts, disagree on the others, and are invited to post their thoughts and experiences here
i try to explain those tactics i have several experiences i had
i also write this for the ppl who think mentoring is a good way of income, see the gifts i got til now, and can be disappointing, see bad experiences, and very interesting, see the the good points

a mentor is especially interesting in the first few days, to give an impression of the game, what you can do, and how

a little tp run to say phoenix should be in it (often i got something like "whoa, this is huge") to show the size of the continent, maybe with a "btw, there is another continent and 2 space stations too"

the question if depositer or non depositer or possible depositer is quite important too, so you can show sweating at the beginning, maybe a tp run to troy for sweating, but also to get an impression of how good the chances of the disciples are to graduate
avoid an introduction of "are you going to deposit?" "No" "piss off"
BUT, don't give the answer too much weight, i had had several non depositers who graduated too

in any case there should be some explanation of eco hunting (if the disciple wants to hunt, but thats usually the case)
info about decay (swords are not cheaper than rifles to use, it costs the same in the end, more or less at least), and ofc about the most common scams

a mentor IS NOT the nanny, you can't be and don't have to be online 24/7
but what happens if the disciple has questions in those time you are away ?
try to find a soc for him, and offline communcation like email adresses, pms in forums, or some ppl you know who could help him too

my experience with disciples
oki, the numbers might be shocking, and i will also name my mentor gifts
mentoring shouldn't be for the gifts, and to avoid a newbie seeing at as good income, here my statistics so far

i had around 250 disciples (who counts :rolleyes: ), and 22 graduaters so far, with 3 that will most likely make it, maybe even 2-3 surprising candidates
that makes a finisher rate of 10% or rather a quitting rate of 90%
call the 90% bad mentoring if you want to, but before you do, rather take a look in my mentorship offer; the disciples were satisfied ;)

pretty exactly 70% of those quitters quit during the first 2 days, 20 during the first week
atm i have 2 ppl with above 80% training in the list and doubt they will ever come back, havent seen them for months

i should mention maybe that most of the quitters were newbies i got them in PA
ppl i got with my mentorship offer here in EF graduated with around 80%, at least those who were unskilled enough that i could add them (last time i got a pm of someone asking to be mentored; and i found out after a meeting that he has level 3600 in rifle skill :D , and yes, i asked before if he might be too skilled)

so a solution for "effective" mentoring, especiallly if you take the disciples in PA, is to get 4 at once (i know, now the ppl will come with "but you can't care that intense about 4!!!")

well, you can
make a team with all 4, in team chat you explain controls (how to turn and move, you will be surprised how many ppl try to run through the wall because they don't know how to turn)

then you start a tp run phoenix, with the right route you won't have many mobs in between and can explain keymapping, most common scamming methos, what is a tp, how to contact you (friendlist, email,...)

this standard "introduction" takes around 20-40 min, and is quite always the same if you had some disciples before
this way you explain the basics just once, not 4 times, and remember, quitting rate 90%, so the chances to have one graduater in this group is far higher

maybe to throw another number in, a tp run to Atlas Haven takes around 1 hour 20 min, and if your chance to "waste" that time is 90%, you should think twice about a group run, just from economics

so, to summarize, a tp run with introduction has several pros, especially in a team
you teach the basics
you show the disciples around a bit
give an impression of the "size"
you get away them from the lag in PA
and you show some interest in them !

but, back to the 4 person team
after 1 week you will most likely see just one of it anymore, if any at all, so, get the next 4 person team after 1-2 weeks, if not a miracle happens and all are still there
after 1-2 weeks, your first disciple will know how to contact you, and he will know the basics, and they won't have that many questions anymore, and more intense care is more annoying then helping in most of the cases (read, no nanny)

maybe as little sidenote, because this looks a bit like mass production (it is kinda), and it doesn't seem "personal"
if you get a new disciple, you should always send a pm to him when he
comes online, like "hey :=); how are you doing?; any questions or problems?")

-first, this will build trust (ever heard of the disciple who was scammed, pmd the mentor during the scam, and didnt believe his own mentor it was a scam and rather trusted a person he never saw before?)
-second, it will give it a personal note, that should be there
-third, it allows you to track the progress and possible problems better
-fourth, ppl don't like to ask for help, especially not in soc chat, rather ask them if they want to know something in private chats, gives it a personal note anyway

a mentor shouldn't give gifts in the first week (90% quitting rate, and a full pixie worth some peds won't change that, besides, the first armor you bought from your own sweating is something special, i still have my first pixie)
but, to throw some numbers in again, full pixie is worth 12.4 (repaired ofc, since not repaired armor don't have full protection), so with weapon and some ammo, say 20 ped
ofc you have to give this all disciples, to give them the same chances
i had 230 quitters around, 460 ped (would be a nice hof, wouldn't it?) loss just due to basic equipment
except you think 20 ped will keep them ingame longer

i don't say don't give any free gifts at all, it is always nice for the disciples if you do, but think about another thing,
and ppl who never had a mentor will agree with me here
what is advising worth, i mean, how much would you lose without any info in PE?, i guess the number is higher than 20 ped
so, even if you don't give the disciple 20 ped cash in his hands, with useful advices you will save him far more cash, and you save it too (remember, 460 ped ;) ), gifts can't compensate advice

gifts i got so far were
3 manticore deathbringer
cempell welch ME
alpha ME (last time 5 in a row) and nr 1 in likelyhood for me
Brave ME thats number 2
EP17 ME nr 3
Tasmo ME
M2725 ME

the best "profit" i got with my first mantire deathbringer, with around 80 ped, second DB was 50, but the ME gift generally lost in value due to the new limited weapons
so, basically, every advantage of those "lower" ME gifts is gone
they are either too uneco, too slow, too weak, and in most of the cases far worse than any L weapon
(maybe a little wish from me here, give mentor edition items a learning bonus MA, give them at least a reason to be here, it is disappointing for the mentor, to get a alpha ME, or rather, 5 in a row, that has no use, and disappointing for the disciple, who had liked his mentor to get something useful too)

about "bad" disciples
the worst experiences i ever had happened with disciples asking for a mentor in PA (just the matter that they know what a mentor is, and that something like mentors exists should make you suspicious already, remember, we speak about newbies, who shouldn't know THAT much)

well, maybe i should start the easiest example
once a newbie aproached me, opening a private chat (!), asking for a mentor (!) and if i could take him on a tp run (!!!!), and made a team (funny team rules, it was back in the days when equal existed, means, all team members got a share, even if the didn't shoot at all, and therefore had no cost to kill anything, but still got some loot; lets say, advanced begging even without the need the ask)
and wanted me to kill the mobs on the way ofc
well, i guess she didn't expect how well i can avoid mobs, didn't shoot once, and didn't use my sword, so not loot at all to share
so, pretty disappointing for her we arrived in billys without any loot at all, and finally the question i waited for the whole time came:"Will i get some free stuff?", "No, ofc not", and i was kicked

this is a pretty great example for disciples i call "mentor hoppers"
they go to PA, take a mentor, ask for gifts, and if they get it, they kick the mentor and search the next fool, if they don't get a gift, they do the same

next example, with a funny (for me) ending
i had a disciple once, who asked if i could mentor the brother
ofc i said, we met in phoenix, and as soon he had me as mentor, he wanted a tp run to twin (see any pattern?)
as soon we arrived he kicked me, well, i could stop here, but to the funny ending i told him something like "with this attidude you will quit in 2 weeks")
exactly 14 days later i pmd his brother, asking how my ex disciple was
well, he was killed in pvp3 and lost his stuff and quitted (would be happy if i could predict the lottery numbers that way)

third and second worst one
asked in PA too for mentorship
well, tp run to atlas haven around 1 hour 20 min, then i went hunting, since she wanted to sweat
when i reached my hunting ground i got a pm from her, she was stuck at the nice outpost south of argus, so i left everthing, rescued her (overall about 1 hour 30 min, to argus, to her, back with her)
went hunting again, and got kicked
i pmd her and asked her why
answer was a bit surprising, she (quote) "found a mentor who is kind" to her

fourth and worst one
i once had a disciple i brought to phoenix
he told me his profession will be "beggar" and justified it because some religious groups do kinda the same
well, i tried to convince him rather to sweat, and he started to insulting me with something like "all germans are Na..."

well, that were the worst examples i had actually, but there had been loads of good ones, again i want to point to my mentorship offer thread here

but some examples of the good ones
we had a little party in oxford caves once, and Coop laid some vigi shins infront of me and insisted that i take them (won't sell them ever, thx)

several disciples laid their cash together and bought me an apartment
i am still very touched, and a big, nah, huge thank you to all of you here again
https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50626

and ofc, loads of funny comments, jokes, hofs (nice to see your disciples getting hofs :D ) and generally a great time

maybe to summarize for the ppl who think about mentoring
it will need a lot if time
the graduation gift you will gift is far away from acceptable in most of the cases
you will be disappointed with high quitting rate, with ppl trying to squeeze cash out of you, some even insulting you

on the other hand, you will get very good friends, will have loads of fun seeing how they find their way ("grow up", it is indeed a bit like watching children; first they can't move properly, run into walls, just single steps in every direction, and soon they blast atrox :D )

to end this post, i have never regretted having started with mentoring

Last edited:
Thnx for the helpfull guide and stories

+Rep

cool thread - just getting into the mentoring aspect of the game (figured a couple years experience has given me enough information and such to help new starters)

one of my things (stolen from a friend) is to set missions for my disciples to accomplish, whenever they can. gather 1k sweat, gain all TPs, etc. prizes for accomplishing range from ammo for their gun to mob skulls i've found here and there :)

and that 10% thing - seems about right - out of the 10 disciples i've picked up, only 1 is still playing - bad mentorship or more difficult to start for non-depositers? tough to tell (i don't know everything, but...)

apart from setting them missions and giving helpful advice, i've found that hunting with them is almost always more profitable than hunting alone - with my one good disciple, first time we went TP running (to phoenix ;) ) we each netted 40 ped in loot from dai and bery - this is compared to my losing 40+ on trax/trox/drones/cervix/etc. noob hunting - the way of the future :D

Nice read Alice. :)

As a mentore with over 150 diciples I could not agreee with your thoughts on this more :)

lol, funny, I've always done about the same things you mention above, with a few other nice things that help get the diciples hoocked and loving the game. :)

And yes, there are quite a few Scammers that try to play on the mentore system as you say... I have a policy, I never give a diciple any items till they are 1% done with there dicipleship, and I usualy just provide basic cloths, some times colored quite nice, if I'm lucky enough to get the color right with a reasionable ammount of paint... ;) Every time I've not done this, the diciple has dropped off...

Also, I try to give my diciples some sort of goals or such, as there are no apperent ones on the game, but I make them and give them some to get, and they tend to like it and play more :)

the goals and gift thing never really worked for me, i tried it a couple of time, but in the end it didn't help really

team hunts we do from time to time, especially when another disciple is stuck
i love rescue missions :)
actually, on a tp run i was attacked by a bery provi once, east of billys, and wondered how it got there, killed it, and we had a hof, but both disciples on the tp i haven't seen again for months, one of them is at 86% :(

but i also don't want to push them into hunting professions too much
several graduaters changed to mining lately, some of the new disciples too and find it more satisfying, and it is quite boring to sit on their claim marker all the time til its gone :laugh: (grats for the melchi on the tp run yesterday, lady :rolleyes: )

in crafting i can wear at least my shorther clothes and dance infront of the disciple while he clicks, but usually he forgets to click then :)

hmm no wonder i can never find a disciple it seems i need to become a farmer instead :rolleyes:

hmm no wonder i can never find a disciple it seems i need to become a farmer instead :rolleyes:

<----newbie harvester :)

edit
i don't do it that often, just until i have 4-6 active ppl, then i leave it for weeks again, til some graduated and start again
call it "wave mentoring"
during those waves i usually change my tp run routes to better destinations, or when i get another idea
my first wave was without guide, then a wave with, then i used soc invitations, and changed several tp run routes (first phoenix, i mean the time when ppl spawned in Troy etc., then atlas haven, then troy, next one will be Neas i guess, i heard there is a good sweating place :laugh: )

Sorry Alice i didnt mean to sound like i was attacking you. I know you are a good mentor. Something that bugs me is those that gather lots of disciples and then wonders why they have such a high fail rate.

Sorry Alice i didnt mean to sound like i was attacking you. I know you are a good mentor. Something that bugs me is those that gather lots of disciples and then wonders why they have such a high fail rate.
well, the high quitter rates comes due to several reasons imo
my standard is usually a run to at least a quite far away tp, that isn't that easy to reach, usually to a known sweater place, since most wanted to start as sweaters
i usually ask if ppl want to deposit, but that doesn't mean i don't speak with them at all if the answer is no
i just want to say, i don't care of someone is depositing or not, and im not that picky in taking disciples, if i see a newbie who might need one and i find the time i ask

but it is very hard to get a useful hunt together with sweaters, their first goal is often to get an opalo and 100 ammo, to start hunting and finally earn money, many many don't sweat til they have opalo and at least 2000 ammo, so you might take them on a useful read longer hunt
and i would go on far more hunts with disciples if they would afford it, but the standard tactic is to sweat with til 100-200 ammo and then lose it and sweat again

that my mentoring style is oki, is proved by those who made it, i ask all the time when someone is finished and several times during the training if he liked my mentoring, and what i should improve, the last suggestions were towards more often PMs, what i can understand, see above reasons

but to the 250 disciples, i know that this number is high, but i didn't had them at once
i have to admit, my disciple list atm is full, with 100 ppl
but, the first page doesn't play at all, of the second i just see one from time to time, and so on

my current disciple count on aktive ones is around 4 who are, well, "trained enough"
means they know kinda everything what i can tell them, take part in conversations in the soc (if in it), giving advices, know that they can ask, whom they can ask, but also tell their own opinion and experiences since they researched themselves too
those disciples are more or less finished, they don't help anymore really, and we did several hunts, sweat sessions, even had a beacon mission with all of them but one

that is usually the point when i get new disciples, usually around 4
my current count on them is 4-8, but 3 are busy rl, and therefore not that often online
those are newer disciples that need help, and i have at least one tp run with them, a beacon maybe (thats pretty impressing for them, on the last beacon we had we assigned 2 new disciples to get the boxes in an own level for them)

i invite my new disciples all the time in my soc, they can leave ofc if they want to, but all of my soc members, mainly disciples and ex disciples, help me a lot to cover quite every timezone if problems or questions occur (thx to all)
often they arrange tp runs when I'm not there, and rescue newbies from stuck outposts and so on
we have usually several ppl sweating, and newbies who want to sweat with them are often healt, focus charged, and if the HP becomes to low the mobs attention is changed by shooting at it, which allows pretty efficient evade skilling

but maybe to give another reason for taking 4 disciples at once, especially sweaters
just due to the fact that you got them at the same time, especially if they want to sweat, means they should play at the same times, and they can form an own sweating team from the beginning, or an own group
still, the community is the best point of EU, and it doesn't hurt to bring them together with ppl
it helps a lot when you see that you are not the only one whos fighting with the controls, who doesn't know what a tp is, etc.

so, i didn't see it as attack, im not that kind of mentor who stands at the newbie arrival zone, waiting for newbies to arrive, running from newbie to newbie and click add disciple and run away as soon i have 100 hoping that 10 make it and i get a DOA ME (don't want one anyway, MK5 or a cobra ME would be nice, but the rest i don't really want)
there are usually weeks during i get new ones, depending on quitting rate
but i doubt the overall quitting rate would be better if i just take single ones

I've done 1 diciplin and he's out. And I have a second on the way. Works graet, and good info there Alice. =)

+rep because...

+rep because this guide is great and long (it had to take a lot of time to write it).

since i just discovered that i can rate my own thread, i thought ill bump this, and see if it worked :D

hf :)

edit, it worked indeed :D

More great mentoring advice from Alice. Thanx...

I've had a string of drop-out with disciples. I'm on my 5th, and she seems to be doing the vanishing act...

But there is something very familiar about the "Noobs who seem to know too much" story you told... She did seem very clued up for a new person, and lo and behold she stops logging in, not long after acquiring full pixie and some nice pants from me... she traded 1500 sweat for them, so I don't feel ripped off, just sad that she decided not to stay...

But now I know that the rate is more like 1 in 10 who stay, I feel less disheartened. maybe it isn't just me, or my mentoring style...

The day will come when I proudly graduate mt first disciple, and it will be thanx largely to Alice's excellent tips and advice.

Keep up the good work.

More great mentoring advice from Alice. Thanx...

I've had a string of drop-out with disciples. I'm on my 5th, and she seems to be doing the vanishing act...

But there is something very familiar about the "Noobs who seem to know too much" story you told... She did seem very clued up for a new person, and lo and behold she stops logging in, not long after acquiring full pixie and some nice pants from me... she traded 1500 sweat for them, so I don't feel ripped off, just sad that she decided not to stay...

But now I know that the rate is more like 1 in 10 who stay, I feel less disheartened. maybe it isn't just me, or my mentoring style...

The day will come when I proudly graduate mt first disciple, and it will be thanx largely to Alice's excellent tips and advice.

Keep up the good work.
mentoring style can matter, but i wouldn't blame the mentor (or in that case yourself) all the time
many ppl search "free mmorpg" find pe, and see they can withdraw cash, think they gonna get rich, and even see all the ppl killing stuff and winning big
so, quick sweating til first weapon to be finally able to get all the cash
and 1-2 days later they find out it doesn't work that way and that sweating is kinda boring

that has nothing to do with mentoring style ^^

.. that's why i always try to explain the 'nature of the game' at very first. i ask ppl, how they found EU, and what they are expecting from it. i tell them about RCE and the 'gambling-factor'. i tell them, that they can have lots of fun for the money that other MMOs cost monthly, if they play smart.
usually they ask 'can you show me how do i play smart?' then.

trux

PS: the droprate is still 90%, but it feels better to introduce ppl into EU if you are not 'pretending' that it is just another MMO.. i like to tell ppl what they are about to do, straight forward ;)

also, i use to take more than one at a time too, because i always dream of them acting as a good team. (sometimes happens :) ) they help and motivate each other and have already some friends.

that's about the reason why i do mentoring at all: not the gifts lure me (all i got was useless so far), but i'm trying to find new friends in disciples. even if they are noob, they might be great persons IRL. imo it's easier to build up trust between noobs / noob-experienced than between two experienced players. my first graduated disciple is now about as skilled as i am, and one of my most trusted friends ingame :)
(btw, he asked me blindly in PA, if i could mentor him, after he kicked his first mentor for not being around)

take care, power to the noobs ;)

Last edited:
nice mentoring guide and info here, good dos and donts. I am looking for a mentor and its good to see the success rates and such

nice mentoring guide and info here, good dos and donts. I am looking for a mentor and its good to see the success rates and such
err
it isn't a "success rate"
a diciple makes it or not
means, he either gets the cash somehow to graduate or not (depositing makes this easier, or a bigger hof)

that are plain quitting rates, nothing with success

if you think PE is fun
if you like sweating for your skills, or trading, or if you think its worth it to deposit til you graduated and further
your success rate is most likely about 80-100%

if you come to PE and your first question is "how do i earn money"
with the answer of "do you want to trade?" "nope, i want to hunt for the cash" followed by "do you plan to deposit" "Hell no"
your success rate is most likely 0-10%

success rate mainly depends on how much you like the game or being here
while mentors are forced to take a newbie right from start (max level 20 in any grad skill is extremly low)
and it is a fact that most ppl find sweating/trading boring, and most don't plan to deposit

if you could become a disciple after your say first 3 days, to choose a mentor and not earlier the "graduated disciple output" would be far higher

well I say success, is my they make it or not term for MMO's hehe

I will be a non depositor, but dont got problems working and grinding it out. I played it some before so I know what the game is about, and that you are far more likely to succeed with an initial investment, but It can be done non deposit as well.

I've always been one for buy low, sell high in games is the best way to get rich quick. not to mention grinding away..which is what i love my music in background for, to make mind numbing tasks less painful.

well I say success, is my they make it or not term for MMO's hehe

I will be a non depositor, but dont got problems working and grinding it out. I played it some before so I know what the game is about, and that you are far more likely to succeed with an initial investment, but It can be done non deposit as well.

I've always been one for buy low, sell high in games is the best way to get rich quick. not to mention grinding away..which is what i love my music in background for, to make mind numbing tasks less painful.

Wow, After reading this I thought "hrm maybe I should get a mentor".
I joind PE last summer played it for a couple of days. Did some sweating after a days sweating I did deposit around 10$. Because I wanted to go out mining.
Bought some mining eq, a Opalo and pixie armor after reading some on this forum. After I mined some and got my hunting skill up. abit I just stoped playing, don't really know why.

Now a year later i picked it upp again. Had som Ped left. Bought som ammo went out and just hunting the Elephant things... snabel something... Then I realized I don't know anything about when to change eq, what skills i need and so on.
Thats when I saw this post and realized that a mentor isn't a bad idea.
And I have been reading alot on this forum, but im still very confused about things.

Now a year later i picked it upp again. Had som Ped left. Bought som ammo went out and just hunting the Elephant things... snabel something... Then I realized I don't know anything about when to change eq, what skills i need and so on.
Thats when I saw this post and realized that a mentor isn't a bad idea.
And I have been reading alot on this forum, but im still very confused about things.
thing is, at level 20 and above in any graduation skill (in your case rifle/handgun) you cant get a mentor anymore
you are probably too skilled already

i don't know if the first reply came through, so again one, else i need to find something interesting to fill this ^.-

edit
seems it came through, err
trying something to find to fill that post then

ok, lets make a party bump ^^

:dance::dance::dance::dance:

Nice one Alice... I finally met you for the first time in Atlas North (MY Sweat zone ;)) recently, and you were rather cool. If I was a "big time" mentor, I would probably do the same as you...

But my Mentoring is always dedicated to one person only, then I get maximum time with just THEM. I have had 3 Disciples in my time, one being my ex girlfriend, who took a year to graduate. The second one quit for some reason, or I just never see him. The third and current one is about 30% and going strong... I have been with her for just over a month and she is getting along really nicely...She tried mining and hunting so far.

I just love that feeling of them getting along with EU. At first for example, this current Disciple could not even run and turn at the same time, she couldn't keep up with the chat window. These days she can hunt and mine alone, follow a chat even in PA, and (with a bit of help from me - buying her sweat at 1.0) is even self sufficient :) So all I need to do really is make sure she has enough Emik S30's to destroy, make sure she moves to a new gun when necessary (soon Breer P1a) and sometimes go and FAP her, and she is fine!

I hope to meet you again at Atlas North, anyway Alice, and we can discuss Mentoring more :)

well, since i want to reach 50 finished ppl i gotta take some more :p

the problem is, most ppl start with sweating, that lasts 1-2 days and they are gone

a real hunting trip is not possible (say, they have 200 ammo, thats gone when we reach the hunting ground :D )

as soon any disciples needs help i charge the tp chip and get there, without close to no delay

but i also have to say that i invite my disciples into the soc, so there is a great time coverage, and the members help eachother out with an intensity (and fun, rescue missions from stuck outposts are our hobbies :p ) i had never expected when i first invited my first disciples into the soc

so, i am sure every disciple gets enough help and support, even if i am not there

i also tend to take several newbies, since there are not THAT many mentors around, and i usually thing it could be worse than having me as mentor (instead of none at least :rolleyes: )

so, i guess my style is ok too :D

edit, atlas island north isn't my place usually
i rather sweat chickens ;)
bout the same damage as snable fem young/mature
but 5 pulls instead of 2/3 :D

thing is, at level 20 and above in any graduation skill (in your case rifle/handgun) you cant get a mentor anymore
you are probably too skilled already

aha I see. I don't really know what level i have.

But on my Rifle skill it says

aha I see. I don't really know what level i have.

But on my Rifle skill it says
sry, it is points now, used to be named level

so, youre 20 times too skilled :D

sry, it is points now, used to be named level

so, youre 20 times too skilled :D

Hehe I see, still it would be nice with a Society where I can ask someone about things I don't really know about ^^

Hehe I see, still it would be nice with a Society where I can ask someone about things I don't really know about ^^
wouldn't hurt for sure :)

but you might check my guide out, see signature ;)

wouldn't hurt for sure :)

but you might check my guide out, see signature ;)

Thanks It looks really useful, going to read it as soon I need a break from sweating:)

this is the longest first post (no copy paste...) i ever seen in EF i think...
gratz alice :)
a new record :D

Last edited:
Back