mentoring, tips and experiences

I have now read your guide Alice, the entire guide. I do fill like I understand abit more now!

and many creds for you!;)

Mentor kicking

hi,
after read all in thread i saw some talking about "kicking mentor". i never found that button to kick a mentor, so pls tell me, where is that button to kick a "bad mentor"?

greetings ti

hi,
after read all in thread i saw some talking about "kicking mentor". i never found that button to kick a mentor, so pls tell me, where is that button to kick a "bad mentor"?

greetings ti
this button is just available until you reach 10% in any graduation skill

as long you are below say 200 rifle, you are able to kick the mentor
as soon youre above, that kick ability disappears

this is called a "grace period"

since youre german "Gnadenfrist", irgendwie passend, oder? :laugh:

the worst experiences i ever had happened with disciples asking for a mentor in PA (just the matter that they know what a mentor is, and that something like mentors exists should make you suspicious already, remember, we speak about newbies, who shouldn't know THAT much)

Just discovered this thread...amazing what you find when you start browsing ef. Anyway some really useful hints in there for mentoring Alice, and I'm sure lots of would-be mentors and even some who are mentors already could do worse than take note.

Your experiences in PA with ppl asking for mentors are unfortunate. They give us disciples a bad name :)

But it does remind me of my own experience when I started. I know I've told you this one, Alice, but it may be useful to others, be they mentors or newbies.

When I joined, after I'd wandered around alone getting TPs and learning to sweat, I still felt a bit lost. Would you believe I had all this sweat, but didn't dare private trade any of the buyers in PA, because I was afraid they might just take my sweat without giving anything in return, not knowing how private trades worked. (I didn't know about your guide then Alice - well to be fair if I had known about it, I would have asked to be your disciple :laugh:)

So I thought I needed someone who could help me, and who I could trust, and a mentor sounded like the ideal solution. But where to get one?

I can't remember whether I had joined ef at that stage.

But the only help I had received up to then was from Zoe the guide, on my first day, so I went back to the NAZ to get some advice. Zoe wasn't there, but some other guides were.

"How do I find a mentor? Is there anyone here who will mentor me" I said.

"Well there's usually people around who are happy to mentor...just go and shout in PA that you want a mentor. You're sure to find one"

Hmm...no mentors in the NAZ. Let's try PA like they said. So I did - still nobody was interested. I guess they must have thought I was a 2nd ava or a mentor hopper.

OK I did eventually find one after some time, but the real point is...it's not always easy for a newbie who knows nothing much about the game to find a mentor. There's no 'mentor's lounge' where off-duty mentors hang out waiting for newbies. And at that stage the newbie will take advice from anyone, not knowing whether it's good advice or not.

So it may be that the poor newbie shouting herself or himself hoarse asking for a mentor is just totally stuck and needs help, and is not a scammer at all.

If I had known then what I do now, of course, I would have come to ef, found the right section, located a mentor and PM'd them, or posted in a thread. But what newbie is going to dare to PM some experienced player in their first week?

Maybe ef should have a big advert in the NAZ..."looking for a mentor? come to ef.com / noobs corner / mentors and disciples. all the mentors hang out here"

But please mentors, don't automatically dismiss all OJs who specifically ask for a mentor. They may just be stuck and at their wit's end :)

OK I did eventually find one after some time, but the real point is...it's not always easy for a newbie who knows nothing much about the game to find a mentor. There's no 'mentor's lounge' where off-duty mentors hang out waiting for newbies. And at that stage the newbie will take advice from anyone, not knowing whether it's good advice or not.
there might be a project about that ongoing i heard of ;)

i didn't say that all ppl asking for mentors are bad

but it happened 3 times with me, always the same manner

i mainly warn to be careful

say someone is asking for a mentor, and wants a tp run
take maybe another disciple or 2 more, cant be that hard to find a candidate running around, if hes just after tps, and kicks you after that, you had at least 2 ppl helped

if he is asking for stuff
say no :D

but i don't claim to know that everyone who is asking for a mentor is a mentor hopper, i doubt it
but you can find it out quite often
just the "can you be my mentor" question

how can a fresh newbie know what a mentor is?
i mean, he knows nothing about the game, but about mentors?
several options ofc
he heard it from a guide, read in EF (although he might search one here than anyway), heard from another newbie "my mentor helped me a lot"

and he goes to find one
and best way is shouting ofc

if he finds the next best guy with a shiny settler and rascal armor, the best mentor possible is found... (sarcasm, but happends quite often i guess)

or the newbie heard "my mentor just gave me an opalo and ammo!"
newbie thinks-->mentors give stuff, gotta find one and ask for it
since he doesn't know it better even, not even intended to beg or something

mentor thinks-->mentor hopper, i would for sure, especially if he asked me to be his mentor before

i don't know if i told the story here already, but one of my ex disciples took one on his own once, i added him to the soc
soon the question came "I want cash"
me "Mentors are there to provide info, not to finance your trip"
him "but they get those 20 000 ped gifts at the end, i want my share!!"
(i searched in my storage, if i found something valuable below the bunch of alpha MEs and Brave MEs, but wasn't that lucky :( )

anyway, what i say
is that you should be careful if someone is asking for a mentor
it depends a lot how this guys behave then

first of all, if he asks questions (he is a newbie, he can't, or shouldn't know much)

second, use abbrevations, usually you get asked "TP?", "TT?", "PA?"m those are kinda known, but if he knows "SIB" "HA", well :)
doesn't exclude him at all, but its a bit suspicious, no?

all that being careful thing hurts of course especially the ones who need the help and are honest about that

there might be a project about that ongoing i heard of ;)
Oooohhh :)

how can a fresh newbie know what a mentor is?
i mean, he knows nothing about the game, but about mentors?

Well how I found out, I read all the participant's guides on the EU official site. Not knowing there was a better one available, or any other source of info, I started the game, and thought hmmm better read the manual.

And they tell you there, in the section on Arriving on Calypso (number 2 in the list) that you can get a mentor to help you.

http://www.entropiauniverse.com/en/rich/5173.html#Mentors

I agree the 'participant guide' is pretty rubbish, especially now I know what to compare it to, but as a newbie*, it might be all you know. If you just read the stuff about starting out, you know about mentors.

*Edit: what am I saying. I'm a newbie. I mean a newborn newbie here of course :)

But you're right in most cases, i would think. Not many people will bother to read this.

:)

i also read the entire participants guide ^^

but i didnt read masters entire guide....
come on... 100 pages???
i read what i thought i would need
but i still have it and refer to it when i dont know something ^^

master ill graduate and take some disciples and i hope to be as good a mentor as you are ^^

but i didnt read masters entire guide....
come on... 100 pages???
i read what i thought i would need
but i still have it and refer to it when i dont know something ^^

master ill graduate and take some disciples and i hope to be as good a mentor as you are ^^

didn't read the whole guide??? how can anybody say that? I hang on each successive new release of it. I want to find out what happens to him in the next eposide. Oh no hang on...that's not the guide, that's the story of bruce. Damn .. getting confused. :silly2:

Anyway nice to find someone else who also read the participant's guide. Good luck graduating soon :)

Well how I found out, I read all the participant's guides on the EU official site. Not knowing there was a better one available, or any other source of info, I started the game, and thought hmmm better read the manual.
there is indeed someone who read it!
heck, 2 !!
come on... 100 pages???
125 ;)

i have to admit, i didn't read the participants guide of MA at the beginning (not that i missed much)
just a few examples
A potential disciple should have a professional standing of NEWBIE or INEPT

A potential disciple should have a professional standing of NEWBIE or INEPT
should be 20pts in any graduation skill, professional standing was before i guess
it might match roughly though :D

By using the Space Bar you can toggle between looking around(AIM MODE) and moving the mouse pointer(CURSOR MODE).
weeee :yay:
aimmode.JPG

:(

but it became better indeed ;)

First thing for me, when i heard about EU, was to read the guide aswell, actually to see, what the game is about and if it's worth a try at all. ;)
When i started i ran around a little and tried some things i had read about like TT and sweating. So i already had a little info when i was approached by my current mentor (thanks for all the help upto now, Macce ;) ).
I think he did it the right way... quite much same as Alice described. I didn't get gifts right away and that's alright, cos i could see his point of view. He didn't know me, just as i didn't know him. Why would he trust me to not run away with it?
So he showed me SwampCamp and i sweated to earn my Opalo and some ammo. Then we went on some little hunts and he even gave a Pixie part to me that he looted (didn't hurt him too much this way). After some time he invited me into his soc for me to get to know more ppl. I met some other disciples too and we even helped out each other, like did tp runs on our own with just knowing the coords (navigating through big mobs just by radar ftw ;) ).
Yet i'm quite self-sufficient even tho just at like 30% or so, although the low loot will kill me one day. ;)

So that's it from a disciples point of view. :)

And a question... even tho i'm still disciple, can i be a mentor at the same time? Just thinking about bringing my bro into the game who's not that good with english. So maybe i could teach him myself.

And a question... even tho i'm still disciple, can i be a mentor at the same time? Just thinking about bringing my bro into the game who's not that good with english. So maybe i could teach him myself.
you need at least 100 pts in one of the graduation skills, e.g. 100 pts rifle, to mentor other ppl

and good luck :D

Back