MindArk Selected To Present Entropia Universe To NASA

Bertha Bot

Entropia News Fetcher
MindArk Selected To Present Entropia Universe To NASA
28 Oct 2008

Virtual World Developer To Present The Entropia Universe Platform As Foundation For A NASA Online Learning Game

GOTHENBURG, SWEDEN - October 28, 2008 - After extensive review by internal and external experts, NASA Learning Technologies and the Innovative Partnership Program Office selected award-winning developer MindArk as one of three finalists to present Entropia Universe at the Goddard Space Flight Center on November 7th. The goal is to make an exciting Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) educational game to enhance real world education of teens in high school and college, in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) fields.

Read the Entire Press Release Here.

Originally Posted Here

Wow exciting news!

AND first one in :) hehe

Space Is the Place :wtg:

I hope those kids got a good paying job.

Cool...it would be fun if the meeting was going to me in Houston...

I would go to their planet for a virtual tour of the ISS or something cool like that. I think a NASA planet sounds pretty cool.

meh late, David already posted it ;) lol

meh late, David already posted it ;) lol

David|MindArk was kind enough to give us a 'sneak-peek' of the official announcement and press release made today.

I have closed that older thread to avoid splintered discussion and to centralize discussion in this official announcement thread.

Best of luck in the presentation phase MA! :yay:

Didn't they already annonce this? Or was that just an announcement here...and this is the press release confirming what they said...??

Getting lots of mileage from repeating the same announcement: PRICELESS!

Didn't they already annonce this? Or was that just an announcement here...and this is the press release confirming what they said...??

I addressed this two posts above yours:

David|MindArk was kind enough to give us a 'sneak-peek' of the official announcement and press release made today.

I have closed that older thread to avoid splintered discussion and to centralize discussion in this official announcement thread.

Ahhh..I see it now.

Ok...Thanks...

[A red tube comes down a message tube and lands in a tray.]

Hermes: Sweet gorilla of Manila! A letter from the Central Bureaucracy!

[He takes a piece of paper out of the red tube.]

Hermes: (reading) Attention, Hermes Conrad: You are about to receive a letter from the Central Bureaucracy.

[Another red tube appears and Hermes takes a piece of paper out of.]

Hermes: My God! It's from the Central Bureaucracy!

;)

whats so educational in gambling?

I'm to assume that if NASA make a planet/s then it will be the same as the Chinese ones - no mobs etc, purely for educational purposes.

I'm to assume that if NASA make a planet/s then it will be the same as the Chinese ones - no mobs etc, purely for educational purposes.

Then what will they do in the planet? :scratch2:
Read a book if u wanna learn something :silly2:

Then what will they do in the planet? :scratch2:
Read a book if u wanna learn something :silly2:

Lunar Lander races. ;)

I guess I'm not seeing how this will be a whole lot more interesting if MA gets the contract than if Linden Labs, id, or Blizzard do.

:dunno:

After reading the press release and accompanying material , I wonder if MindArk is up to this challenge.

Here is an excerpt from one of the supporting documents on the NASA site.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evaluation Criteria
All proposals that meet the threshold requirements will be evaluated in the following
areas:

Technical Plan (25%):

1. Feasibility of game design.
2. The extent to which game design offers a compelling player experience.
3. Feasibility of plan to infuse NASA content game design.
4. Feasibility of plan to infuse educational experiences into the game design

Management Ability (25%):

1. Ability to schedule and meet realistic milestones.
2. Management team experience (include information on location, points of
contact and top-level organizational structure.)
3. Projected schedule and milestones for accomplishing project.

Financial Stability (25%):

1. Strength of market analysis and strategy analysis.
2. Strength of financial plan and evidence of financial stability (include annual
audits, balance sheets and appropriate documentation.)

Other (25%):

1. Level of NASA assets and resources, such as the NASA identity, people, content
and facilities, requested for the collaboration.
2. How the organization’s strategy, mission statement, values and goals reflect
NASA's.
3. Evidence of the proposer's experience and expertise in the development of
massively multiplayer online games.
4. Level of additional value and benefits offered to NASA.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Under the Management Ability section it states that the candidate must be able to schedule and meet realisitic milestones for accomplishing the project.

I would think the lack of followthrough with the promised ATM CashCard would be a major detractor to this qualification.

Considering that the CashCard is one of the defining aspects of this game , you would think it would carry great weight in determining the decision to use MindArk as a developing contractor.

Bones

Great stuff MA!

Means more exposure for EU, and (maybe or definitely!) more players/investments...more loot in lootpool?:wtg:

We will be paying for the Mars-trip NASA plans IRL in 20-30 years :yay:
And the 50% income from the business model for MA will allow the CEO to join as a civilian :yay:

Serious, sounds nice but I do wonder how the different worlds will interact.

Atami

w00t Bertha, ty for using all capitals for the acronym NASA =P <3

After reading the press release and accompanying material , I wonder if MindArk is up to this challenge.

That would come down to a matter of financing for the new project teams required (+15 to 20%% current MA staff bolstering to cover the extra workload on current MA projects for co-operative inter-communication while they help get the new NASA development teams upto speed), if NASA can cough up the project funds, there would be no hassles from a project management side.

Meeting milestones and goals is primarily dependant on people power to do so, not just the knowledge base on how to do it ;)

~ Sparkz

Found some images on the MindArk website:

http://www.mindark.com/press/image-gallery/

which appear to be screenshots from a Mars-like planet MindArk created for the NASA proposal:

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

:cool:

Sweet,

Good find 711 :)

~ Sparkz

wtg MA!

no fees world and u can learn some?
fekk off moaners

And what has to do the concept of EU as RCE/game/whatever with this.. briefing?

I mean, what is characteristic to MindArk versus other bidders is their game/system.

Some 3D stuff helps, but as I read, that would be only the form of a certain concept. Some replica of Mars is cool to see, but I am interested how will they apply the learning objectives of NASA to this.. well.. mature-rated game.

EU's RCE has nothing to do with this. If they get the contract, my best guess is that the stuff going on will not be conected to the Entropia Universe. MA will just provide the platform for the NASA edutainment game and depending on how the RFI/RFP/contract reads, development and maintainence.

It may very well run on a *very* similar platform, but NASA will foot the bill for this, not us... welll. those of us that are US taxpayers will... not that I mind in this case. :)

Positioning Planet Calypso as a seperate business entity makes sense even more in light of this news. MA is trying to tout the versatility of their platform.

AG

Nice article. Love the part where they admit EU was and is simply a tool for tweaking and perfecting their real business plan. Guess that makes us tools too. Or lab rats. :rolleyes:

Well it says MA will present EU and make an MMO for learning. I think that means MA would use EU to demonstrate their skills and technology and get a contract with NASA to make a new MMO focused around learning.

Well nice info for MA and cool for their Platform so gratz MA

But what does this do for us on Planet Calypso?
Nothing at all as we are managed by another company (FPC) and any benefits that MA might get from this goes to MA's pockets and not into FPC.

Maybe i'm pedantic about that but for me it's offtopic in terms of Planet Calypso

Back