New competition announced!

This sounds really good. I also like the fact that the existing community will be helping to "officially" promot PE. Nice concept MA! As far as speculation on the winner...I think it's too close to call. Kitty does do really nice work but, I have seen some of Mud-N-Scorp's work too and they weren't bad either. I would also like to remind everybody about Green Dragon Studios... :eek: I'm not sure if Camelman is still around but, they did some good work also.

I'm sure there are other people out there who, while having no previous PE film making ability could probably pull of something quite nice. Theres plenty of time to learn to use editing software, get some good clips and mash it all together. its really wide open.

Just a few questions i came up with :rolleyes:

Do all the visuals have to come from the game directly? Are visual enhancements/rederings/animation etc allowed for "promotional" purposes, assuming its not copyrighted, and self made? Is it permitted to use pieces of the old promotional video?

Is it the idea we use one of the "states" music pieces in one piece, or is editing/remixing/remastering of those pieces allowed? Could always try and see what one comes up with :)

Just a few questions i could think of. Maybe not the smartest, but hey, its me :dunce:

I even might even try to make something for a change :D

Whoa. Why's everyone cheering for kitty? Who won the PE Film Fest??? OH yeah I did. I'd say, "may the best man win", but i dont like to talk about myself that much. :boxer: :wise:

Last edited:
just a couple of observations;

1. I thought it was against the EULA to use a prog that 'interferes' with pe.

It seems that MA encourage rule-breaking with every competition. Last time it was the housing comp when you set out rules and then gave prizes to 2 entries that didn't follow the rules at all. This time you encourage people to use third party software that works directly within pe.

2. Unless the person who "made" the movie has physically signed a contract then the copyright still belongs to them. If under 18 then their parent/guardian has to sign a contract.
Of course what is being recored is copyright to ma, but I think this needs further investigation as to who actually owns what.

wanda said:
just a couple of observations;

It seems that MA encourage rule-breaking with every competition. Last time it was the housing comp when you set out rules and then gave prizes to 2 entries that didn't follow the rules at all. This time you encourage people to use third party software that works directly within pe.

You just had to didnt you ? :rolleyes:

Screencapture programs does not "interfere" with PE, such programs are merely taking snapshots of graphics that have already left the main PE code, it's taken from the videocards ram.

wanda said:
just a couple of useless observations;

2. Unless the person who "made" the movie has physically signed a contract then the copyright still belongs to them. If under 18 then their parent/guardian has to sign a contract.
Of course what is being recored is copyright to ma, but I think this needs further investigation as to who actually owns what.

Most contests of this manner require you to relinquish the rights to your work. They've already said they're gonna pick one winner and whoever that is will be rewarded. The losers get their files deleted. Geez get a life.

Rock and Roll:)))))

december results, that gives a lot of people a lot of time to discover the pleasure of PE movie making...

go bananas...b a n an as... :banana: :banana: :banana:

ScorpionLance said:
Whoa. Why's everyone cheering for kitty?

Cheering for kitty cuz I <3 Kitty :D

Not that I dont like you tho -but go Kitty ROAWR!

Ill give it a try aswell, tho I dont have too high hopes :silly2:
May best man or prefferably woman win :D

Cool, finally a "job" that doesn't cost PED's. Too bad the software for recording footage ingame is not supplied with the contest. Hence this costs Real Life PEDs then :D

Anyway, will be fun humping around in that supremacy .... :dunce:

ScorpionLance said:
Most contests of this manner require you to relinquish the rights to your work. They've already said they're gonna pick one winner and whoever that is will be rewarded. The losers get their files deleted. Geez get a life.

sorry, but unless it is written somewhere that you have agreed to give all rights to MA then the "work" still belongs to you.

wanda said:

If it actually states 'interferes', then there is now problem.

In what way does a screenshot program interfere with PE i ask myself? It doesn't. It take a "snapshot" of the current state of you videomemory bits ;). I have written my own screenshot program that also works with PE. But i neva have broken into the PE code, nor do i need to access PE when its running.

Technically speaking you just get yourself a handle of the desktop, device context 0. The copy the contents to a bitmap.

Looking is not interfering. :wise:

Hmm... This is pretty cool ^^

I guess i won't have a chance, but... I'll never know without trying :D

So, goodbye to my free time for a while... :laugh:

*already threatening her mind to provide some ideas*

ScorpionLance said:
Whoa. Why's everyone cheering for kitty? Who won the PE Film Fest??? OH yeah I did. I'd say, "may the best man win", but i dont like to talk about myself that much. :boxer: :wise:

Ok,Mindbuster removed my comment last time so this time I will be more "delicate"

Can you take your stuff elsewhere?I dont want to see 5posts containing no info cept for "OMG I MAKE MOVIES AND I PWN" messages.Whatever you do is stuff that Kitty does better.Kitty is the best movie creator out there..cant deny it :nana:

Knuckles said:
Ok,Mindbuster removed my comment last time so this time I will be more "delicate"

Can you take your stuff elsewhere?I dont want to see 5posts containing no info cept for "OMG I MAKE MOVIES AND I PWN" messages.Whatever you do is stuff that Kitty does better.Kitty is the best movie creator out there..cant deny it :nana:

indeed, kitty does make wonderfull movies. gonna check out Mc's movies now...

Anyway, will be fun humping around in that supremacy ....

YEAH! If WE let you use it, that is!!!! :tongue2:

Kitty is the best movie creator out there..cant deny it

Well just have to wait and see about THAT, Knuckles :loco: ....

:laugh: We may just have to add a lil PK segment into the movie....doin anything tonight Knucks??? :laugh:

Wanda said:
sorry, but unless it is written somewhere that you have agreed to give all rights to MA then the "work" still belongs to you.

From the community page...

"...Please note that when you enter the competition you also relinquish any and all rights to the movie and you may not distribute it, unless an agreement is made between the participant and MindArk PE AB...."

Svetlana said:
Kit is one of a kind ;)
He (female avi) is my advisor in The Jaded Crown. A great player, and even better person. And his movies/commercials for PE are astonishing... really great things that he can do... original ideas, great concepts, fabulous music, etc... you get the idea.

Ya, of course I'm partial to Kitty and can't wait to see what he comes up with... :)

I think there are so many great "film-makers" amidst us in the PE community... I'm really looking forward to seeing the winner and their finishing product

:eek:

Omg everyone stop talking about me!

I'm definetly entering this. Sounds like a fun competition.
I too want to know if we can use our own music for this. :)

Btw, I think this is the better movie of mine to link too http://files.filefront.com/EntropiaForumPartyMay142005ByZarathustrAavi/;3853944;/fileinfo.html
:cool:

http://files.filefront.com/BAHQ___Land_Area_9/;3875788;;/fileinfo.html
This is a movie Helius and I made. We might be teaming up again for this commercial!

Anywho goodluck to everyone. Can't wait to see what other people do. This community needs more movies and moviemakers, no matter who wins the competition! :thumbup:

ZarathustrA said:
:eek:

Omg everyone stop talking about me!

I'm definetly entering this. Sounds like a fun competition.
I too want to know if we can use our own music for this. :)

Btw, I think this is the better movie of mine to link too http://files.filefront.com/EntropiaForumPartyMay142005ByZarathustrAavi/;3853944;/fileinfo.html
:cool:

http://files.filefront.com/BAHQ___Land_Area_9/;3875788;;/fileinfo.html
This is a movie Helius and I made. We might be teaming up again for this commercial!

Anywho goodluck to everyone. Can't wait to see what other people do. This community needs more movies and moviemakers, no matter who wins the competition! :thumbup:

Dont be afraid to ask me if you need actors.I work for free ;)

About the music - to avoid any legal problems whatsoever we have today concluded that any music in the movie must be used from the music zip archive supplied.

I will update the info in the community section when I get a chance.

In the future, if a similar contest comes around, we may look upon it from another angle, music-wise.

Marco|MindArk said:
About the music - to avoid any legal problems whatsoever we have today concluded that any music in the movie must be used from the music zip archive supplied.

:(

Ok, one last question. What about remixing and re-arranging the provided music?

Awwww :confused: That is a bummer. Hmm... how about using samples from funky tunes? :tongue2:

CareBear said:
From the community page...

"...Please note that when you enter the competition you also relinquish any and all rights to the movie and you may not distribute it, unless an agreement is made between the participant and MindArk PE AB...."

Having such a simple 'comment' on a web page doesn't make it a legally binding contract.
They say you must have an agreement to distribute the movie, but they must also have an agreement to use it as well.
Mindark cannot actually prevent you from distributing your movie how you like or even making profit from it if you wish.

marco, how do you know someone wont slip a 3 second sample from a famous singer into the audio track with low volume?

wanda said:
marco, how do you know someone wont slip a 3 second sample from a famous singer into the audio track with low volume?

:laugh: Do you ever give up? :rolleyes:

Marco, I was just thinking that I wasn't sure about what your post was about. Does this mean no music of our own production is not allowed? Or has that question not been answered yet?
Just wondering because I am not too happy about the music limitations. :(

great comp, one thats open to all members of PE. Now to see if i can find some decent recording technology.

Jaget said:
great comp, one thats open to all members of PE. Now to see if i can find some decent recording technology.

Fraps actually works quite well. I've filmed with it (Waaaaaay back during the bot invasions,best FPS you could get was like 4 FPS) and since alot of the lag that used to exist has gotten better I would assume it would be fine now.

*Runs out and dusts off Light Meter and Clapboard*

ive got fraps already and ive tried recording PE with it but it's in the wrong resolution so i only get the top left half of the screen, ill need to see if i can change this.

edit:need to buy it to record in full screen :(.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back