Petition for Feature Freeze

Is a feature freeze a good idea?

• That's a great idea!

Votes: 64 64.6%
  • Continue as is. New features are more important.

Votes: 28 28.3%
  • Don't care...

Votes: 7 7.1%

• Total voters

Zacariaz

Elite
Society
United Talents
Marie T'pol
I don't actually know how many who agree and maybe I'm in a somewhat different position that the average EU participant, but I'm quite tired of the growing number of bugs, the steadily increasing instability of the game, stuff breaking all the time and so on and so forth. I for one think it's about time that something is done about it. New stuff is fun and all, but it don't help putting new rims on your ride if everything else is broken.

So here is the deal, simply enforce a feature freeze. That is: nothing is done but bug fixing and similar, for a given period of time. I should think that would make a difference.

Of course everything isn't MA's fault. There are several aspect that they don't actually control, like say the graphics engine. however, if there are issues, it is the responsibility of MA to fix them never the less. Put pressure on CryTek to deal with the issues and if that for some odd reason don't make a difference, then fix the issues your self somehow. If necessary implement another graphics Engine, though I should very much hope that it won't come to that. Weren't that fun the last time.

There are other areas that may be more difficult to deal with, but then again, it's not my problem. I'm paying (and paying well) for a service, and if what I'm paying for is no delivered, I should expect my money back.

So here is what I'd like you (the consumer) to do, assuming you agree at some level.

Obviously vote, but also describe your favorite bug, flaw, issue or whatever you'd like to call it. Remember it doesn't have to be a big issue, in fact it's better to pull out the small ones, as they are the ones that keep piling up because they are no important enough.

For example I love that fact that cars defy the laws of physics. When hitting the brakes, the front of the car actually lifts, which is obviously wrong.

Should you not agree, please remember to vote anyway and possibly write a comment describing how you're opposed to this feature freeze.

Maybe you prefer new features instead of a stable game or maybe you simply think the game is perfect as it is.

In any case, best regards and may Lootious be with you.

IMO this poll is flawed. I think the best option is to fix important bugs and continue work on important features. That's not an option in the poll.
I suppose you're right, just like there are a lot of other options missing. The line has to be drawn somewhere after all.

If it is in fact possible to do what you suggest, I certainly agree, but that is usually not the case, for two reasons.

1. It is a question of resources. Doing both either delay the development or cost more money.

2. When working on systems that work together, complications arise. This is quite normal, but obviously make bug fixing harder, that is trying to figure out what is wrong, while things continue to change and that is the actual point of a feature freeze. The opportunity and the ability to fix things.

So to end this comment, if I could, I would certainly add the option, but in the end, I believe it to be a bad option.

There is no option here which I could chose.

I am not for a freeze, but I do feel a good refrigeration would be in place.
It is important to note that a freeze is not something that usually last very long. By shifting the effort and avoid complications from side by side development, things go a lot faster.

Furthermore a freeze does not mean that all plans for the future are thrown away or that the work which has been done so far is lost. In fact it is likely that the effort needed to complete these effort will be less, due to more available resources and fewer complications.

I will not claim to have all the facts, but I'd imagine that a month or two would do wonders, and I can certainly last that long without the need for additionally flawed and bugged systems.

Last edited:
nope, keep the momentum. :)

Last edited:
Dancing stops after only 30 seconds of being "idle"... I don't consider 30 seconds idle!
(maybe 5 mins)

Also, if you start dancing immediately after doing emotes, the dancing cancels the emote animation, but still plays the emote sound... so you can no longer dance while doing emotes!...

The only one who has no problems dancing is the Party Rock Lobster...

Of course everything isn't MA's fault. There are several aspect that they don't actually control, like say the graphics engine. however, if there are issues, it is the responsibility of MA to fix them never the less. Put pressure on CryTek to deal with the issues and if that for some odd reason don't make a difference, then fix the issues your self somehow. If necessary implement another graphics Engine, though I should very much hope that it won't come to that. Weren't that fun the last time.

There are other areas that may be more difficult to deal with, but then again, it's not my problem. I'm paying (and paying well) for a service, and if what I'm paying for is no delivered, I should expect my money back.

Correct, you're paying MindArk for a service (not CryTek or anyone else), so any issues are definitely MA's fault.

In respond to the poll, they should definitely continue to implement new material, and often. New material makes people spend more money, and most players here continue playing regardless of the amount of retarded bugs that are present in the game universe.

It's all about the money.
It's the MindArk business way. :smoke:

IMO this poll is flawed. I think the best option is to fix important bugs and continue work on important features. That's not an option in the poll.

It is in the best interest of the players to have a successful game, otherwise we loose our invenstment in virtual objects and virtual skills (should MA go under). It appears that at the moment MA needs to create new features and open new planets to be successful on a business level.

That doesn't mean no bug fixes, it means prioritizing bug fixes together with new features. I'm not for new features only or for bug fixes only. The poll should have an option for some of each.

Several days ago, Few Scar put out a poll ... to stop developing new content... and fix all the current bugs...

I voted agaisnt that...i felt that a system can never be bug free, so both should go hand in hand...

But lately, I think i'm changing my view, and now more in-line with him and you!

several months ago... there was another MMORPG based on RCE? closed coz of software glitch... losing server/database etc (anybody has the link or info on that?)...I dont think i've entertained similar situation with EU..

But given the increasing numbers of bugs, apparently popping out wihtout addition of new contents, making me wonder what's going on? Are we gonna face similar situation given that MA got >$3millions from us?

BTW since last update i've noticed my client crashing often...

Edit: i'm too paranoid (9/12/2012) lol

Last edited:

I suppose you're right, just like there are a lot of other options missing. The line has to be drawn somewhere after all.

If it is in fact possible to do what you suggest, I certainly agree, but that is usually not the case, for two reasons.

1. It is a question of resources. Doing both either delay the development or cost more money.

2. When working on systems that work together, complications arise. This is quite normal, but obviously make bug fixing harder, that is trying to figure out what is wrong, while things continue to change and that is the actual point of a feature freeze. The opportunity and the ability to fix things.

So to end this comment, if I could, I would certainly add the option, but in the end, I believe it to be a bad option.

Several days ago, Few Scar put out a poll ... to stop developing new content... and fix all the current bugs...

I voted agaisnt that...i felt that a system can never be bug free, so both should go hand in hand...

But lately, I think i'm changing my view, and now more in-line with him and you!

I'm glad someone still has a few active neurons ;)

My greatest concern is that I have a harder time running the game now, than I did 7 years ago, though my available computer power has increased immensely.

Secondly, the bugs, flaws and shortcomings keep piling up. It will be a long time before I forget that it took them years to fix the texture of the old time coats. I could probably have done it in a very short time, had I had the opportunity, and I'm not exactly an expert.

Thus it's as much a matter of MA priorities and the ways they choose to do things in general, as it's about the stage of the game.

Last edited:
I'm glad someone still has a few active neurons ;)

Hey, you've missed my special hyperactive neurons... look carefully for "Edit" what they are doing to my brain/mind!!

btw my sig is better than yours :)

I advocated the "Focus on bugs" strategy over a year ago. (Thread here), now it's almost become a battle cry.

Folks should've listened to me. :wise:

Of course, we need to make sure we understand that most (almost all?) the major problematic bugs are MA, not PCF. The only major bug they're making is mistakes in skins, which considering, is very minor.

This is a no-brainer. Unless you work for MA, evidently...

Problem is, Kim came right out and said new features are more important than bugs right now. I can find the post if you want but I'm incredibly tired at the moment. At this point, even if new content is still introduced, it really needs to be on the back burner relative to bug fixes. They need to be a priority right now.

I agree that they should freeze all development schedules and focus on bugs as the patchwork of fixed grows more unstable each day. I wouldn't worry, the code will only hold for a little longer and then there will be a critical crash which will force them to rebuild the entire code. It's kinda like building a tower out of shanty houses, each added to the next. At some point it will fall over its just when.
The number of bugs on calypso is growing, space bugs are growing, NI seems to be bugged at its space station site, Arkadia is holding steady due to an excellent development team.
I am amazed there is no clause in the Planet Partner contracts with MindArk that if MindArk bugs effect player enjoyment of the game they can force MA to fix the bugs.
If I owned a planet partner company and the MindArk system foundations were bugged like they are I would be wanting answers!

Logged off until the deposit bug is fixed LOL

I am amazed there is no clause in the Planet Partner contracts with MindArk that if MindArk bugs effect player enjoyment of the game they can force MA to fix the bugs.
If I owned a planet partner company and the MindArk system foundations were bugged like they are I would be wanting answers!

I've long wondered about that myself.

It is important to note that a freeze is not something that usually last very long. By shifting the effort and avoid complications from side by side development, things go a lot faster.

Furthermore a freeze does not mean that all plans for the future are thrown away or that the work which has been done so far is lost. In fact it is likely that the effort needed to complete these effort will be less, due to more available resources and fewer complications.

I will not claim to have all the facts, but I'd imagine that a month or two would do wonders, and I can certainly last that long without the need for additionally flawed and bugged systems.

I don't agree.
Lets say there is a bug with the avatar face and after 3-4 months they will release new avatar system.
We don't know that, but MA knows it. Should they stop developing the new avatar system and fix the bug first :scratch2: I don't know, but may be we have to learn to live with bugs. Can anyone post a name of a game free of bugs?

I don't agree.
Lets say there is a bug with the avatar face and after 3-4 months they will release new avatar system.
We don't know that, but MA knows it. Should they stop developing the new avatar system and fix the bug first :scratch2: I don't know, but may be we have to learn to live with bugs.

Come on, there are bugs every-effing-where. If what you say would be true MA would be planning to replace the whole game. More or less.

Can anyone post a name of a game free of bugs?

I can. Pong. ;)

Very much agree. I'd like us to focus on bug fixes, graphical improvements, city re-designing, and a few minor interface changes.

In the real world (not some imaginary perfect dream world), there has to be more weight put on (new) features, or there would be no software at all except little perfectly bugless "hello world" example programs.

Can you see what would happen if for example Microsoft would wait with releasing new Windows until ALL bugs were fixed ?

Do you remember any big modern PC game that had absolutely no bugs at release and needed no patches ?

In the real world (not some imaginary perfect dream world), there has to be more weight put on (new) features, or there would be no software at all except little perfectly bugless "hello world" example programs.

Can you see what would happen if for example Microsoft would wait with releasing new Windows until ALL bugs were fixed ?

Do you remember any big modern PC game that had absolutely no bugs at release and needed no patches ?

No one is talking about perfect an bugless and certainly no one is talking about an imaginary dream world. This is something that is quite normal to do, and healthy.

An now we are talking about Microsoft and Windows. Remember the vista fiasco? What do you think would have happened if they had done their work properly? Maybe they wouldn't still be going out of business perhaps?

What do you think would have happened to a business that haven't got billions in the bank? Maybe they would have gone out of business already?

If you insist on upon starting an argument, at least do us the curtest of thinking it through first.

The problem with EU is not that it's not perfect, but that it's getting worse everyday and has been doing so for years.

I don't want feature freeze. I want accelerated development, because seriously, we are dragging our collective feets in getting more and more exciting features. Remember taming? How about all the threads on having more mindforce chips and development happen? How about all the threads on what is missing from Space? Or maybe some people still remember the threads on improving melee, or mob AI - ok, we got a tiny morsel here but the palette of behaviours, individual or collective that appears to be available for designers seems to be rather primitive. I don't think I need to mention avatar looks, wandering NPCs, avatar movement and poses, or about half the wishlist section threads.

The new hair physics was announced for October, IIRC, and we actually got in late February? For only some hairstyles? How is this for nearly-frozen development?

Given that EU development is moving horribly slowly, we seriously cannot afford to freeze anything. As long as the game is in a playable state, all that should be done is fast forward on new compelling features.

What would I do, freeze the new features and roll a new engine upgrade, move to cryengine3 since all the assets and everything already developed is 100% compatible, and forget about this pos engine we have now. I bet you half of the bugs are related to the poorly coded cryengine2.

Open the doors for future console development etc... whatever you do, bugs first please...

Also, while you have your devs working on it, put your PR department to work arleady...it's about time.

Also, while you have your devs working on it, put your PR department to work arleady...it's about time.

I always thought it was odd that MA had a marketing director, But no marketing :scratch2:

Agreed!Want free bug game!!!!:yay:

I don't agree.
We don't know that, but MA knows it. Should they stop developing the new avatar system and fix the bug first :scratch2: I don't know, but may be we have to learn to live with bugs. Can anyone post a name of a game free of bugs?

if they stopped development and focused only on fixing bugs, when all the bugs are gun they could continue development... Then when new bugs are introduced they could fix them as they go...

what they're doing now is creating new stuff with new bugs, fixing a few bugs while continuing to make more new stuff with even more new bugs... at this rate we'll have more bugs than stuff

Here's a post I made that proves ---> They made twice as many bugs as they fixed with the last update (which had really stupid unnecessary features added in comparison to all the new bugs that affect gameplay)

OP claims to be paying for a service, wich you dont.

You do however choose to deposit money in exchange for a virtual currency wich you then may do as you wish while interacting with the Entropia Universe plattform.

OP claims to be paying for a service, wich you dont.

That's just splitting hairs..
If you deposit, you are a customer. MA should be paying attention to paying customers.

If you deposit, you are a customer. MA should be paying attention to paying customers.

they should yes, but you cant demand it since they never asked you to deposit in exchange for access to the Entropia Universe plattform.

they should yes, but you cant demand it since they never asked you to deposit in exchange for access to the Entropia Universe plattform.

what good is free access with crap sweat prices an not depositing?

personally, if I couldn't deposit, I wouldn't play this game! :wise:

formalities! pfffft

Look at it this way... The choice is MA's to make the game free to play, they could make the game pay-to-play just like a lot of other games do! That's not up to the players!...

Paying "customers" or not, they should pay attention to ALL players!!!

Last edited:
Back