Pirates to Invade EU? o_0

Hmmm have tried searching (maybe im blind dont blame me) but i cant find any information about this Pirate thing anywhere, so the question is:

Is this some event on ND´s space station?
...and if not where is the information from MA if they are part of it also?

The whole thing sounds awesome, but its seems a bit weird that the only facts around (that i have found atleast) is...Club Never Die and well in fact that doesnt say to much, for all that it can be maybe this is a bad joke? ;)

Anyone?

Alot is being made of the dates invloved and Cryengine2 implementation, i wonder if it is even possible/practical to use Cryengine as a space sim engine.

Playing through Crysis would show it is possible as there is a section that involves flying a vtol aircraft. Converting this model to a space based system wouldn't take much.

the current Gamebryo can do flying objects. but a 10km*10km*100m planet based game environment is different from a 100km*100km*100km (conservative) space environment with full 360 deg motion in 3 axis. it may seem simple but might not be in practice. then again maybe you could implement a "flat space" within a narrow height band "space lanes" scenario.

Hmmm have tried searching (maybe im blind dont blame me) but i cant find any information about this Pirate thing anywhere, so the question is:

Is this some event on ND´s space station?
...and if not where is the information from MA if they are part of it also?

The whole thing sounds awesome, but its seems a bit weird that the only facts around (that i have found atleast) is...Club Never Die and well in fact that doesnt say to much, for all that it can be maybe this is a bad joke? ;)

Anyone?

I'm interested in who estimated that 5 million USD value and what it is based on?

Disclaimer: just me thinking out loud.

Hmmm... I've started to wonder what this actually would look like.

If ithis indeed is something totally brand new it's of course no point to even speculate in, but somehow I doubt that it will be...
The basic structure is most likely close to "another game" ( second human in the Bible, three letters + on line) and will yet have to beat them, in other case it wouldn't be much point in launching the project at this point.
My guess is that the several hundreds new planets mentioned in the advertisement won't be the worlds we are use to in Entropia, i.e. not planets where we'll be able to wander around - at least the vast majority of them.

I base these thoughts upon the fact that in any other case - if there will be several hundreds new worlds with the same standard as EU, and on top of that CryEngine graphics- it would take a hardware server park I sincerely doubt either MA or ND, or even together with the Chinese project - would have the capacity to afford - nor support. The software and personnel to run it would at this point by far exceed any reasonable income to cover such an investment. With almost no advertisement, only a few moths before launch (and countdown progressing...) I find it highly unlikely that this project will be more than a space travel trade game - of a kind we've seen.

BUT: don't get me wrong. In either case I very much welcome this, and in either case I think it's a great effort by ND and MA.

Well said Pepper. But I think there is one important factor in all this. Players - MA need to attract another million players (I don't mean sign up's either - actual players) and the cost of servers will become immaterial. As yet we don't have all of Amethera opened up - simply because of a lack of players. Why don't we see more nice items dropping - because we aren't seeing an ever increasing number of players.

The obvious thing for MA to do is to pull their finger out and hire a decent marketing company to get this moving.

BUT!!!!!!!

They have eluded to a much better way - and if they pull it off you will see an absolute explosion in media publicity and hype (and MA need it to be an explosion). If MA can partner with media companies to buy and operate their own planets they will do the marketing of EU and MA won't have to.

Now consider two or more global media giants competing for a share of your valuable attention (remember the playerbase of EU are by far the hardest segment to market to and capture the attention of). So you have News Limited in the red corner who have thousands of sales reps ready to sign up corporates to advertise to you. And you have Google in the Blue corner who have just as many connections and can sell EU advertising as an add on to their existing programs.

Now the two companies who own a planet each need you to visit their planet - but how do they do that?????? with high taxes NO!!!! by adding a little extra or maybe alot extra to the lootpool on their planet HELL YES!!!!!

I imagine some members of the EU community might not like the direction it's headed - but money will always prevail and EU will be drawn down this path - especially once it is listed on the stock market and investors are demanding exponential growth.

Reactions: Uni
At Last!!!

Well said Pepper. But I think there is one important factor in all this. Players - MA need to attract another million players (I don't mean sign up's either - actual players) and the cost of servers will become immaterial. As yet we don't have all of Amethera opened up - simply because of a lack of players. Why don't we see more nice items dropping - because we aren't seeing an ever increasing number of players.

The obvious thing for MA to do is to pull their finger out and hire a decent marketing company to get this moving.

BUT!!!!!!!

They have eluded to a much better way - and if they pull it off you will see an absolute explosion in media publicity and hype (and MA need it to be an explosion). If MA can partner with media companies to buy and operate their own planets they will do the marketing of EU and MA won't have to.

Now consider two or more global media giants competing for a share of your valuable attention (remember the playerbase of EU are by far the hardest segment to market to and capture the attention of). So you have News Limited in the red corner who have thousands of sales reps ready to sign up corporates to advertise to you. And you have Google in the Blue corner who have just as many connections and can sell EU advertising as an add on to their existing programs.

Now the two companies who own a planet each need you to visit their planet - but how do they do that?????? with high taxes NO!!!! by adding a little extra or maybe alot extra to the lootpool on their planet HELL YES!!!!!

I imagine some members of the EU community might not like the direction it's headed - but money will always prevail and EU will be drawn down this path - especially once it is listed on the stock market and investors are demanding exponential growth.

and I add only> ppl think like u'd be MA ! +rep to Ozi and also Frigid

about travelling between planets imo it will be free,remember what purpose they'll have
Uni

Last edited:
Ahoy Earhlings!

Not another Space Pirates?

Space_Pirates.jpg

Mmmmm, very exciting all this.
About "vehicles", wonder if they're only some spaships, or can i get a Madmax-styled car to run over some argos >:)

Would make TP-chips pretty useless then though.

Mmmmm, very exciting all this.
About "vehicles", wonder if they're only some spaships, or can i get a Madmax-styled car to run over some argos >:)

Would make TP-chips pretty useless then though.

Maybe it takes a few seconds to power the car up, and if you get attacked you 'dismount' and the car decays, a bit like armor. It could also use Crude Oil or something as fuel:D

Hi,

a more detailed version of this leaked to me on a weird paper - I cannot help sharing with you. Please don't tell anyone it was me to reveal!

With Space Pirates, the Entropia Universe will expand its virtual frontiers to include exploration and colonization of new planets. The virtual world will introduce an assortment of new space-related tools, equipment, blueprints, vehicles, treasures and artifacts designed to assist avatars participating in the great quest.There is no purchase necessary and no subscription fees applied to join the Entropia Universe or to participate in the virtual treasurehunt.

Just download the Entropia Universe client, for free, and start the treasure hunt! It's so easy even for the beginners! Nearly every creature on Calypso and the other continents is carrying a vibrant substance commonly known as sweat that can be collected without any tools. Not only this, there's a lot of different fruits littering the fertile soil, and there's a reason why the soil is this fertile: Common dung!

So start having a good time collecting sweat, fruit and dung that are most sought after commodities - sweat is used by nearly every paricipant as "fuel" to the various exiting MindFore profession possibilities, fruit is for feeding the countless, most popular tamed animals and dung is used in huge amounts to fertilize the many inhabitant owned land areas. So collect, sell and you'll have earned your first PED's that you can easily withdraw using MindArks unique ATM card!

But better use them to buy some gear - there are countless possibilities in armor, weapons, healing tools and other gear that will be of most use during your treasure hunt! The new space-related tools, equipment, blueprints, vehicles, treasures and artifacts will drop in abundance from any of Entropia Universes most popular creatures like Hogglos, Warlocks, Araneatrox, Daspletors, Falxangius, Malcruentors and Aurli - with a little luck even a seasoned Atrox Stalker might carry some!

You'll need these tools to get your space hunt going, so better be among the first to start collecting! It's so easy - sell a little sweat, fruit or dung, find one of these Trade Terminals that are in every village, get yourself some shiny armor and weaponry and go hunting 'em baddies, collecting loads of most valuable loot! Remember, the early bird is catching the worm!

It might be of help if you'd sell car, house, wife and children to faciliate an even quicker start, you'll have no use for it anymore anyway. But with a little luck, skill and determination anything is possible for everyone! Be among the first to claim the vast resources of the brand new Entropia Universe Space Treasure Hunt!

There are some hand written notices at the end of this paper that are hard to encrypt, I read as follows:
"Platinum coating now, ok? Getting sick of golden wheel caps!" [Mar...?]
"ok, but have good offer for new lambo reventón - wouldn't you prfer?" [JW?]
"with platinum wheel caps?" [Mar...?]
"no, too much, cannot afford!" [JW?]
"then lower loot, wtf - chix getting accustomed to golden wheel caps :(" [Mar...?]
"youre the man - best idea ever! ok, lambo w/ plat caps!" [JW?]
"cheers - we're the space pirates! gimmi five!" [Mar...?]
"Arrrrr!!!1eleven" [JW?]

Have fun!

Disclaimer: This post might contain brazen lies - beware!

So you are supposed to sweat and the go hunt hogglos, aurli and Atrox stalker with the money?

Riiiiiight... :rolleyes:

BUT!!!!!!!

Interesting theory, because it is a theory - right? You almost make it sound like you're sitting on some most valuable information when I read this ;)
However, it is certainly a very plausible scenario (in other case you just gave the marketing dept. on MA a busy time ahead...).
I rarely knock anything until I've tried it, so I guess we just have to wait and see what the future brings.

My guess would be that the chinese will be the pirates and player loot will be 100% enabled for pirates - thats the true reason why they are building such a large server park ;-)

Some thoughts regarding virtual space:
I dont think that this will require that much server power, you need to keep in mind that there will always be far less space ships then players. Every space ship will be handled as separate instance -> player movement no problem. Flying a space ship - all you see is some stars and a few planets/asteroids/other ships if you get near them. Feeling of speed in space is mostly determined by movement of stars and displayed numbers both of which can be exponentially increased to give the player the feeling of a fast flying space ship while the actual coordinates and movement of this space ship instance in the virtual space can be alot smaller.
By Neverdie's statement that everyone has a chance in the space pirates treasure hunt my guess would be that you dont need to own a hangar yet to have a chance of aquiring a space ship (or part thereof). There could be huge docks in space where those large space ships that are able of interstellar travel could be hosted as they would not be able to land on the planets cause of their size or constructional issues. Hangar pilots would still be required to reach those space docks or even for directly boarding a large ship with own hangars.
For all locations there should be the alternative TP with the CP concept of charging an amount of money. TPing should be more costly then traveling with a space ship, to encourage people using the ships but still offer them another way of travel.

My visison of space lanes are tunnels in space that connect the space cubes of the different stellar systems. If they connect directly or if you have to pass multiple lanes connecting several small space cubes to reach another star system i dont kow, but this would be a way to nicely put the pirates in there somewhere.

Reactions: Ozi
yay! i wanna bea ninja and defeat them pirates!...black orb pirates argo cannablism?...doesn't really mix yarg!

HaHa, maybe the pirates will take over the whole world?:eek: :tongue4:

Interesting theory, because it is a theory - right? You almost make it sound like you're sitting on some most valuable information when I read this ;)
However, it is certainly a very plausible scenario (in other case you just gave the marketing dept. on MA a busy time ahead...).
I rarely knock anything until I've tried it, so I guess we just have to wait and see what the future brings.

No I don't have any inside information - just years of study in entrepreneurship and business structures. My theory to me is the logical progression for MA. Once they list - shareholders will be looking for maximum possible returns - this theory gives them a path for it. Maybe MA want to contact me with a job offer - who knows :eek:

PS - My wife often says I have a knack for making things sound like fact - sry if I wasn't clear that it was just a theory ;)

I'm interested in who estimated that 5 million USD value and what it is based on?

I can't say with certainty but based upon the subtle language of the press release it appears to be the value of the sunshine which emanates from Neverdie's backside, bathing us in warming glow of his pop iconic benevolence.

ND basically made it all up. Read this thread...

[B said:
NEVERDIE][/B]
Since this is such a long thread, I'm just going to look at the initial post and address it.

CND is not a typical land area, it is also a Private Portal into EU and a Venue for all kinds of live entertainment and Events. It is also very much still under construction. The Mega Championship Stadium has not started construction and SPACE has yet to OPEN, I own Commercial Docking for 80 Space Ships... (Currently there is no no Docking fee system)

"Space Pirates" is the name I have Created for the Event that is Entropia's Expansion into Space and Upgrade to CryEngine2...

If U take a look at the Space Pirates marketing materials they point to my NEVERDIE.com portal. If U read the Copy of the Event You will see that the treasure I'm referring to are new items that will be dropping to support the expansion into Space.. We all know that those items will be extremely valuable if they are balanced in the way that the first items discovered on calypso were balanced. (The General public doesnt know or even understand any of that, to make it simple I have used the term treasure hunt)

When I contacted Mindark to tell them I was planning a Marketing Campaign to direct traffic to MY Portal in anticipation of the opening of Space, I explained that I felt that a Space Adventure could possibly reach a new audience and I asked for confirmation that there would be new items dropping relating to the expansion and that new and old participants would all have the opportunity to discover them (was this confirmation recieved?)... It was agreed (by mindark, or just by you?)that $5 million was a fair (and possibley extremely conservative estimate of the market value of all the new related Space items)

I confirmed (not MA?) that the Primary AI (mobs) to hunt in Space would be Pirates, you may have noticed that the existing Space ships in EU are armed....

My primary occupation in EU is as an Entertainer and Event promoter, (Same as in Real Life) but I have always sought to Promote my Entropia Events beyond the confines of the Game to cross over into Reality... The MMOWC and Virtual World Awards are prime Examples of this...

You will notice that i havent created a banner on EF to Promote Space Pirates to the community, This is not an Event that takes place exclusively on CND Soil it will be Spread throughout the universe, really SPACE PIRATES is just the name I have come up with to market VU ?? (The Space Expansion)

I dont know anything more at this stage than I have actualy presented in my marketing materials and in interviews and on the forum...

I do plan to make as much of a game out of it as I can with a little Roleplay and Showmanship... I will throw ideas out to mindark as will you via the forums.. I will be as creatively involved as I can as NEVERDIE

The market has been speculating for months on the value of SpaceShips. I Sold my two ships to buy the Bank. I later borrowed some money from My own bank to Replace one of the ships, I paid quite a bit more than i sold mine for...
Since i dont fly it everyday and I have someone I trust to fly it regularly I have made the ship a link between CND and The Bank. Like everyone else I can only speculate on the future use of spaceships. I Would like to have another ship for my exclusive personal use, I currently fly more often with the other pilots than with the NEVERDIE Express ship, but its hard to justify with a price tag of $12k USD without making commercial use of it.... I was aware that my SPACE PIRATES event could stir up the market interest further in ships and i would have been wise to secure a second one, but I didnt. However even if I had it would have just been COZ I want my own personal Ship for Space...

MINDARK dont give much info away, as the Owner of CND and a BANK, i can tell you I have not recieved any preferential treatment when it comes to support fixes and upgrades except when the community has been inconvenienced...(this is plainly obvious to all those based at CND)

I dont seek inside market info to give me an advantage as a trader, in fact i dont trade or resell hardly at all... Anyone who has sold me Animal parts or DNA at top market Value can vouch for the fact that I'm often caught very much by surprise by the One thing I have needed most dearly...

The introduction of New planets and independent developers is going to have all kinds of implications that I can barely get my head around... Everyone must seek to position themselves as best they can using the info at hand and Sprinkling a healthy dose of Imagination all over it...

Insider trading could be an issue, but i persoanlly havent seen any Evidence of it in the market and based on my dialog with MA staff and how little they give away or how little they know, im not preoccupied with it...

However the Community must keep an Eye on it and i respect that you address it with respect to Space Pirates...
I walk a fine line, but I dont seek insider info to gain advantage. I know the spotlight is on me and the confidence of the community is critical to my continued success with my endeavours...

On a personal note, I want to try to be more and more active in the creation of events and content in EU. I will pursue that in every way possible, but NEVERDIE is my Name and an AVATAR I wish to remain, so dont expect me to cross over to the otherside and take a job at MA (not that they are offering) if U look at my my history in indie film u can see that i am an actor but that i also have written my own roles and from time to time directed and produced my own movies, I think Space Pirates is the Movie Poster for our upcoming Adventures in Entropia...

Oh and one last thing.... some of you mention MA favoring me, try turning it around, I favour MA and Entropia, this is MY Chosen platform and I have to fight for it!
[B said:
NEVERDIE][/B]
Morg,

I put the Space pirates event together based upon Public information.

If You Read the China Release it states that the upcoming planets will cause the opening of Space. As far as pirates are concerned Since we first Purchased hangars 4 years ago we have been expecting Pirates and other Space mobs..
(the ships have Guns!!!)

If you Read The Entropian you will see A quote from jan Welter talking about full Space Flight and shipping between Planets coming soon, (last year???)

I wrote my materials based on public knowledge, I Simply ran the copy that i wrote By MA and confirmed that it would be a Technological Revolution akin to the launch of Calypso...

I own an Asteroid a private SPACE based Portal in Entropia, it is a Private Business that I Have the Right to market to the general Public... (from a marketing standpoint i have a business relationship with MA)

Mindark are not starting to market Space yet, but I am, because i am in Space... I used my imagination and years of reading every single statement made by MA on the future of this universe to imagine what it will be like when Space Opens and I put marketing materials together based on that...

Once again I operate My Own Business inside EU with a Portal, therefore regardless if its a DJ that is performing at my club or a Sporting Event hosted at my club, an MA event or an upcoming VU, I can put my own Spin on it to reach the general public. Of course i must fact Check if its, something dependent on MA...

In the Coming years with New planets owned by new contentent developers responsible for their own marketing I imagine you can expect to see alot more of this.

So Please understand SPACE PIRATES began with me thinking of ways to market CND, drawing upon public Knowledge at no time did MA, tell me anything, in fact the opposite I wrote the entire Space pirates Copy based on Public knowledge and My own assumptions about the new technology that Space would introduce. I then presented my materials to MA to be certain they would not be inaccurate, in addition I stressed to MA how important I felt it was for Space to present another opportunity for the entire user base to be able to loot rare items... (What was MA's response?)

Everything That I wrote they already had planned, its in the pipeline(Hmm Crystal Ball (L) )?. MA do not have an official ETA, but Fall was the target when i went to print...

I'm regularly approached by the media and do a tremendous amount of interviews and I really wanted to champion the Space Expansion and I want to experiment with my own marketing techniques and materials to draw more people to EU... Which as a portal owner is natural.

I have highlighted what for me are the most important (and disapointing) aspects of both of these statements from ND.

Whichever way it is wrapped, ND made up the whole Space Pirates as a marketing ploy for CND, based upon assumptions and speculation.

Not a single part has been confirmed by MA (so far...)

Sorry ND, but this is lying whatever way you want to wrap it.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

;)

Reactions: Eps
ND basically made it all up. Read this thread...

[/I]

I have highlighted what for me are the most important (and disapointing) aspects of both of these statements from ND.

Whichever way it is wrapped, ND made up the whole Space Pirates as a marketing ploy for CND, based upon assumptions and speculation.

Not a single part has been confirmed by MA (so far...)

Sorry ND, but this is lying whatever way you want to wrap it.

I'd say why I agree, but that thread vanished when I did...pirates got to it :rolleyes:

t

Just curious... Anyone own an Amiga back in the day and play Frontier? If you did, you will know what I am talking about :D

YouTube - Commodore Amiga: Frontier - Intro

Goddammit!! I aint seen that in far too long!
I bought the game and then bought the A1200 to play it on :D

Best battle ever: My 120 ton Asp with 4Meg beam and 5 shields taking on an 480 ton Imp Courier with 20 shields and a 20 Meg beam, and winning after about half an hours fighting! I was soooooo knackered yet so elated :D

Time to dig the Miggy out again methinks :)

Does anybody remember a game named "Freelancer" ?
Yep, I started playing it again in the hope that the Space Pirates will have the same sort of piloting, rather than the 'push a button and fly to CND' type piloting.

P.S. Don't upset the Mollys in Bretonia space or you'll make me unhappy :D

ffs a 2 year old post damnit!

well he does have a point. i remember this thread. first time i saw it i knew it was all bollocks, and yeah look now 2 years later. we have seen any space pirates yet? lol :laugh:

well he does have a point. i remember this thread. first time i saw it i knew it was all bollocks, and yeah look now 2 years later. we have seen any space pirates yet? lol :laugh:

let alone flying space ships, getting in dog fights, and harvesting asteroids?

Back