Planet Cyrene Teaser Preview

Which is why planet partners are supposed to bring in their own players.
And until I see any evidence of that actually happening, I repeat my previous comment!

But he doesn't really, does he? He only talks about interactions to existing systems and needing to have all systems before launch. Its not even clear if you will be delayed if MA does not release taming in Q1, never mind if there are any yet to be released systems that you need. It is even more vague and confusing than Arkadia's "we will be Treasure Hunting planet". And really, no new information is conveyed.

These are his words in his post ...

What I was not able to show (yet) are our new gameplay systems as well as all the great custom interactions we have made with the existing systems provided.

He mentions there are new (Cyrene) game play systems in addition to the custom interactions Cyrene has made to existing systems, so not sure where you're getting that he doesn't mention it.

As far as any delay is concerned, there's no knowing this in advance until the scheduled time of launch, but I am not at liberty to discuss any of the details, so Ed would have to respond to any type of question of this nature, and ... the best way to get your questions answered is to now post them to Ed at the new Cyrene Forumhttp://cyreneforum.com/ that was released yesterday.

That is partially accurate because there aren't really any planet-specific systems. Any planet partner can request that a new system is to be created but that system will then be available for all planet partners to implement in their own (and hopefully somewhat original) way.

That is partially accurate because there aren't really any planet-specific systems. Any planet partner can request that a new system is to be created but that system will then be available for all planet partners to implement in their own (and hopefully somewhat original) way.

My apologies if what I posted was confusing, and it was not meant to indicate that any new systems were "planet-specific" ... but rather point out to the poster I responded to that Ed clearly addressed "new game play systems" as it relates to Cyrene in addition to customizations Cyrene has already done to existing systems - not that the new game play systems were Cyrene-specific. The poster made mention that Ed had not said anything about "new game play" which is what I was addressing, and corrected based on Ed's post at EP.

I just didn't feel it was my place to get into specifics about game play systems and wanted to directly speak to what the poster presented. So again, my apologies if there was any confusion.

I understand it is really difficult to come up with a compromise and make every planet partner happy however I think the above strategy is not the wisest one. If a planet partner could have a original system available only and only at this planet it would make EU so much interesting and could have like a few games inside EU. Instead we got just a different name of a planet and all systems are exactly the same. I thought the goal of new planets was to bring a diversity for the gameplay, if systems are more or less the same then thats not a diversity if you ask me. I hope the strategy will change in time.

I understand it is really difficult to come up with a compromise and make every planet partner happy however I think the above strategy is not the wisest one. If a planet partner could have a original system available only and only at this planet it would make EU so much interesting and could have like a few games inside EU. Instead we got just a different name of a planet and all systems are exactly the same. I thought the goal of new planets was to bring a diversity for the gameplay, if systems are more or less the same then thats not a diversity if you ask me. I hope the strategy will change in time.

I agree, now Cyrene will just be another 'landarea' with some new mobs. new items and new missions.

As soon as one PP can order something unique for themself only - others PPs automatically come to unfair disadvantage.

I see one compromise: neutral planet, or some "entity" in space - which includes all new, unique systems. But those systems must rely on all existing PPs stuff - resources. One of the biggest problem I see here - each new PP must be somehow plugged in all existing "neutral" systems.

It's more a hell of balance than just development of those things.

A little competition is good. Besides, some PP might be faster and have a greater vision of how to make their planets special and outstanding. And I don't see why they should not be credited for the work they are doing.

I don't know how it works now, but would say it's a little unfair if some PP gets an awesome unique idea and then absolutely have to share it with others and not get the full credit or wait for everyone else also to have it implemented ... Then again, isn't that what's happening now with Calypso "testing" everything first? Or perhaps I'm wrong ... Will all planets have treasure hunting too like Arkadia?

Dunno. I would love (and hope) to see total different planets which are not just alike but can offer things which makes each of them unique.

Although ofcourse this is more of the same, this same looks incredibly fluent. You can see this company knows how to animate their creatures. It simply looks more appealing then say a drone01 (which recently has been redone). The mobs look like their actually quite mad and agressive especially that rhino beetle, swinging its head from side to side.

Nicely done!

As soon as one PP can order something unique for themself only - others PPs automatically come to unfair disadvantage.

How is it unfair? You think of something as a first one thats your benefit. What would be worse is if 1 PP have 10 unique systems while the other has 1. But I believe some kind of points system could solve this issue. It would make sure that there is some balance in unique systems. That is not easy task but I'm sure something could be done.

Such strategy would bring much more players into EU and make the game fucking unbeatable. Instead we just get different landscape with same content. Booooring.

As far as any delay is concerned, there's no knowing this in advance until the scheduled time of launch, but I am not at liberty to discuss any of the details, so Ed would have to respond to any type of question of this nature, and ... the best way to get your questions answered is to now post them to Ed at the new Cyrene Forumhttp://cyreneforum.com/ that was released yesterday.

Right.. see, it depends on emphasis. Yours' and Ed's was apparently new game play while mine was systems. As in, oh, lets say mindforce mining with special chips, or fishing or something.

I most certainly do NOT agree. Having the same systems is fine, what we have a sever lack of is creativity on the part of planet partners so far. Everybody does things like Calypso does. But it could all be different, and is only the matter of configuring the systems.

• Imagine a postapocalyptic planet where there are no mining resources, no enmatters or ores, what you get when you use a finder are robot parts. You can then use those in crafting, or use acid refined from local fruits to craft metal ingots.
  • Imagine an industrial planet (or a large space station) where you can mine and craft all you want, but any hunting takes place in instances, the entrance to which requires crafted keys.
  • Imagine a world in decline, where (almost) all the crafting terminals have broken - all local stackable components and common items are made via refining, and other crafting only happens in old decrepit factories that are stalked by high level mobs.

Unfortunately, imagining is what planet partners so far have been short of. And not because they can't get exclusive systems.

While everybody knows next islands and ancient greek for their item restriction their real innovation in EU is from introducing "Broken Elysian technology" and using fruit in a blueprint to make paint cans.

Yes, thanks for that reminder/clarification Kim. I was going :confused: at the suggestion Cyrene would have it's own new systems implemented, clearly that was a misunderstanding from what was posted.

I don't know how it works now, but would say it's a little unfair if some PP gets an awesome unique idea and then absolutely have to share it with others and not get the full credit or wait for everyone else also to have it implemented ... Then again, isn't that what's happening now with Calypso "testing" everything first? Or perhaps I'm wrong ... Will all planets have treasure hunting too like Arkadia?

Yes, as Kim repeated above, no planet will have exclusive use of any game systems, it will all go in the 'shared' folder, so yes, all planets will have access to the treasure hunting system for example. The trick is simply that they do not all have to or want to use/implement all of the available systems, and within reason hopefully the PPs will respect each other enough to not make blatant use of something that was intended as the main 'feature' on any other planet. I agree with Kim that the key to success is going to be PPs implementing the available systems in a unique and planet specific (original) way. Not every planet will want or use robot beacons, time travel, or pet taming or even hairstyling for example, it depends on what that planet is 'about'. (The 'treasure hunting' theme on Arkadia will over time involve a lot more than the mining based system that will be available to all to use or not as they see fit.)

It is a bit of a bone of contention that Calypso gets all the 'new' systems first, but these systems have to be implemented and tested in a live environment, not only in a test server environment, and for the moment there is no other way to do that really and Calypso is owned by the platform afaik so that makes sense. It cuts both ways though, in that not only does it mean Calypso gets the new systems first, it could also mean that as the test bed for all new systems (planet based ones anyway) they may basically 'have to' have all new systems and features on Calypso? I'm sure Kim can answer if this is correct or not (if he is inclined), but that could be a downside for Calypso rather than an advantage, if it's going to end up cluttered with a slew of systems and 'features' that have nothing to do with Calypso's story but simply had to be tested before being given to the PP's to use. Could get confusing and messy :eyecrazy:

Anyway, best of luck to Cyrene, will be interesting to see what new systems they are looking to implement.

Edit: great examples there Remontoire, saw your post just before I hit submit on mine :)

Last edited:
Right.. see, it depends on emphasis. Yours' and Ed's was apparently new game play while mine was systems. As in, oh, lets say mindforce mining with special chips, or fishing or something.

Just a reminder that Ed's words were ... our new game play "systems" ... and not just ... new game play ... so I'm rather confused as to why you are insisting that it's otherwise.

On another note, I already apologized for any confusion in how I wrote my post and that I didn't mean to imply that the "new game play systems" were planet-specific, but was addressing what was being questioned, so please keep that in mind as well.

In light of what has been posted since my contribution, I'll only say ... that after Cyrene launches, your experiences will better answer your questions with regard to what your concerns are - that's if you should choose to explore this new planet - if not, then you will certainly learn the information from those who do. Until then, certain development-specific information is not available for discussion by Cyrene staff unless Ed wants to address it, which in that case, again ... it would be best to question him at the new Cyrene Forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Any further discussion on my part regarding anything Cyrene will be at the official forum or EntropiaPlanets.com.

Every planet partner being able to use every new system does not equal every planet partner using the same systems.

Two planet partners using the same base systems does not equal their two planets being the same.

Base system does not equal end user experience. The same basic system could probably be used in completely different ways on two different planets, making them both unique. It is just a matter of developing.

I most certainly do NOT agree. Having the same systems is fine, what we have a sever lack of is creativity on the part of planet partners so far. Everybody does things like Calypso does. But it could all be different, and is only the matter of configuring the systems.

• Imagine a postapocalyptic planet where there are no mining resources, no enmatters or ores, what you get when you use a finder are robot parts. You can then use those in crafting, or use acid refined from local fruits to craft metal ingots.
  • Imagine an industrial planet (or a large space station) where you can mine and craft all you want, but any hunting takes place in instances, the entrance to which requires crafted keys.
  • Imagine a world in decline, where (almost) all the crafting terminals have broken - all local stackable components and common items are made via refining, and other crafting only happens in old decrepit factories that are stalked by high level mobs.

Unfortunately, imagining is what planet partners so far have been short of. And not because they can't get exclusive systems.

While everybody knows next islands and ancient greek for their item restriction their real innovation in EU is from introducing "Broken Elysian technology" and using fruit in a blueprint to make paint cans.

The Entropia platform is in fact highly customizable and it is very much possible for planet partners to create many advanced new features that are unique to their planet through the flowgraph (node based script).

Every planet partner being able to use every new system does not equal every planet partner using the same systems.

Two planet partners using the same base systems does not equal their two planets being the same.

Base system does not equal end user experience. The same basic system could probably be used in completely different ways on two different planets, making them both unique. It is just a matter of developing.

Thats a good assessment of how it works. If you want a comparison i'd say look at the Starcraft II editor or even the WC3 editor, all maps there use the same basic systems but the outcome can be very different.

The Entropia platform is in fact highly customizable and it is very much possible for planet partners to create many advanced new features that are unique to their planet through the flowgraph (node based script).

Nice allways thaught about that ,that is an total difrent meaning then with new/more planets then :)

I have to disagree.

Think of PP's like shops. Each PP has a shop and MA provide all the different products a shop could possibly want to sell but without any packaging.

Now whilst each PP could decide to stock everything it would not be the wisest move by the PP. If for example you have a music shop it would be to your benefit to sell items related to music. If the PP fails to do that ultimately a better shop or PP will come along that does do it better and hence provide customers what they want i.e music.

Furthermore If a PP can package different products and relate it to their planet then that's of benefit to us as well as PP's. If the repackaging is done properly we would not even be aware of any similarities.

Still even furthermore :) if a PP decides they are going to repackage everything that's going to cost them time and effort. If they have any sense they would first repackage what's of benefit to them and naturally fits their planet.

I think the reason why it all looks the same at the moment is because the special systems that will define PP's are not yet in game. Once they start appearing then we'll get a better picture. At the moment we just have the basic systems hunting, mining, crafting etc which are pretty similar on different planets. Instances for example is a new system that should differentiate PP's and we'll get to see which PP's are lazy for just copying something of another PP e.g Calypso.

Although MA may provide generic content for different PP's to use like generic mobs e.g. Daikiba. That doesn't mean a PP should use that generic content. As mentioned above they provide the product without any packaging. The generic products they do provide are allready packaged for PP's. A PP may use the generic package as well as develop their own or not use the generic content at all. This is what is likely to cause people confusion ;)

Thats a good assessment of how it works. If you want a comparison i'd say look at the Starcraft II editor or even the WC3 editor, all maps there use the same basic systems but the outcome can be very different.

That changes things around. The results are though still limited to the editor. But if those systems are so powerful as you say they are, well I guess thats do the job. Time will tell I guess. Waiting for the first "planet specific version"

Right, so if anything, my examples were much too shallow as to what could be done.

Do you think it would be possible to get an example published as to how this works for some existing system and what one would do to customize?

well it's nice to see Planet Cyrene is still in the works, I had actually given up on them thinking they had also dropped out.

well it's nice to see Planet Cyrene is still in the works, I had actually given up on them thinking they had also dropped out.

Why? Because they are actually taking their time and making sure things are finished and the timing is right before releasing? :silly2:

no, it's cool that they are taking their time, just haven't heard anything about them in a while so just thought they canceled, but glad they didn't

no, it's cool that they are taking their time, just haven't heard anything about them in a while so just thought they canceled, but glad they didn't

They update now and then over at their Facebook page, and I think they put their forum up just a few days ago? :)

They update now and then over at their Facebook page, and I think they put their forum up just a few days ago? :)

Yep and its much better then their original one they had!! ;)

Yep and its much better then their original one they had!! ;)

your also checking the wrong forum. Entropia planets has lots of stuff from Ed Robles 3rd. They even have had some contest and MS9 has some stories.

your also checking the wrong forum. Entropia planets has lots of stuff from Ed Robles 3rd. They even have had some contest and MS9 has some stories.

I believe he might be meaning the forum which Cyrene had on www.planetcyrene.com - and not EP ;)

But yes, Ed has been great updating the community with news and pictures (and contests ;) - one still running) on EP - and will keep on doing that in future along with filling the wiki with info and keeping you updated on the official forum too.

Entropia Pioneers Kicks Ass!!! Didn't know it still existed! link please?

Ah nice, missed it entirely so far. Looks promising so far. But one thing every new planet partner sould consider it's not eyecandy, it'S not only gameplay what keeps people, it's foremost the planet'S economy which decides if they can attract players.

Ah nice, missed it entirely so far. Looks promising so far. But one thing every new planet partner sould consider it's not eyecandy, it'S not only gameplay what keeps people, it's foremost the planet'S economy which decides if they can attract players.

Yes, exactly, and that is where I believe RockTropia and Next Island failed, in a way, while Arkadia did better! The planets need to have a working economy when released, not only for older players but for the new players that may join. They need to have blueprints, resources, items, etc :)

Back