FYI: Player's Notes vol. 1 - Hunting Loot Mechanics

A friend of mine reported to me (after these notes) that he had been hunting argo young and that the highest loot in min/max range he received was 1.24 peds.. this seemed a tad high to me, but here's the catch: He is a MF hunter,, so the next question is: Can anyone else, using laser/blp etc also record a 1.24 ped loot on argo young? or are the more eco weapon types have a slightly lower max range?

There are 1.x multipliers. Argonaut Young, the classic '1ped mob' was simply giving out a 1.24 multiplier. OR could it be that Argonaut Young looting 1.24peds is not a 1.24 multiplier and is really this same statistic calculated to the dmg/pec of your weapon? Maybe you were hunting in SIB and only acheiving 3/4 of your potential eco thus looting you a 3.5x multipler worth 1.24peds? I didn't do the math on that, but I have had a few SIB kills with 1.9dmg/pec as per tracker...

To note something else...

MOB regen has nothing to do with loot. Take FUROR for example, go hunt them and tell me you loot anything different than an Atrox with around the same base HP. Regen was simply added in as a way for MA to skim a few extra pec off each kill for revenue and to keep hunters in a general class. They dont want people grinding down a massive HP mobs with an ultra eco low level weapons, solution was regen.

To extend this a bit further...

What about gear multipliers? Have you ever noticed hunting with some weapons (or armor?) loot you more? Try killing Argonaut Youngs with TT weapons, compare your global rate to killing them with a non-TT weapon. Is this just that you happen to have run into more multipliers, or is your gear effecting it? Is there a perfect gear selection for every mob? I know you can be as eco as possible with every mob(eco-trio, best armor, fap and weapon), but is that what MA programmed it to? It makes you wonder...

MOB regen has nothing to do with loot. Take FUROR for example, go hunt them and tell me you loot anything different than an Atrox with around the same base HP. Regen was simply added in as a way for MA to skim a few extra pec off each kill for revenue and to keep hunters in a general class. They dont want people grinding down a massive HP mobs with an ultra eco low level weapons, solution was regen.

Serious tests indicate regen is compensated for in loot, however there seem to be a cap to just how much.

Just a thought based on an observation I have made.

BLP users seem to global and hof a lot more than laser users. So it is very likely that it has to do with eco vs uneco gear. I general blp weapons have lower DPP (damage per pec) than laser weapons, so in other words, they dish out less dmg for same pec. People with BLP do however global/HoF more than laser users and I believe that the main reason for this is because generally speaking, globals and hofs are compensations for really bad returns and since blp users burn more ammo for a higher cost, they are compensated more frequently than laser users. (There are ofc lucky people who can pull of a ath, k-hof or such without actually having any major losses).

I personally have tried both BLP and laser and I clearly got more globals/hofs with blp weapon than with a laser weapon with same level, but with laser weapon I generally ended up with 70ish% return w/o any globals and hofs, but with blp I had an average 55-60ish% return w/o globals/hofs. Loot seems to go in a "sinus-curve" but the amplitude and period of highs and lows seem to differ between the weapon types. From the experienced players I have talked to, the general rule seems to be 10k+ ped in hunting buffer for laser and at least twice as much for blp, to "survive" during the low return periods.

There are ofc blp weapons that are eco and laser weapons that aren't, but this is just a (very) generalised observation of blp and laser weapons effect on loot. What is clear however, is that gear does affect your loot, so it isn't only the mob.

There are 1.x multipliers. Argonaut Young, the classic '1ped mob' was simply giving out a 1.24 multiplier. OR could it be that Argonaut Young looting 1.24peds is not a 1.24 multiplier and is really this same statistic calculated to the dmg/pec of your weapon? Maybe you were hunting in SIB and only acheiving 3/4 of your potential eco thus looting you a 3.5x multipler worth 1.24peds? I didn't do the math on that, but I have had a few SIB kills with 1.9dmg/pec as per tracker...

To extend this a bit further...

What about gear multipliers? Have you ever noticed hunting with some weapons (or armor?) loot you more? Try killing Argonaut Youngs with TT weapons, compare your global rate to killing them with a non-TT weapon. Is this just that you happen to have run into more multipliers, or is your gear effecting it? Is there a perfect gear selection for every mob? I know you can be as eco as possible with every mob(eco-trio, best armor, fap and weapon), but is that what MA programmed it to? It makes you wonder...

Just a thought based on an observation I have made.

BLP users seem to global and hof a lot more than laser users. So it is very likely that it has to do with eco vs uneco gear. I general blp weapons have lower DPP (damage per pec) than laser weapons, so in other words, they dish out less dmg for same pec. People with BLP do however global/HoF more than laser users and I believe that the main reason for this is because generally speaking, globals and hofs are compensations for really bad returns and since blp users burn more ammo for a higher cost, they are compensated more frequently than laser users. (There are ofc lucky people who can pull of a ath, k-hof or such without actually having any major losses).

I personally have tried both BLP and laser and I clearly got more globals/hofs with blp weapon than with a laser weapon with same level, but with laser weapon I generally ended up with 70ish% return w/o any globals and hofs, but with blp I had an average 55-60ish% return w/o globals/hofs. Loot seems to go in a "sinus-curve" but the amplitude and period of highs and lows seem to differ between the weapon types. From the experienced players I have talked to, the general rule seems to be 10k+ ped in hunting buffer for laser and at least twice as much for blp, to "survive" during the low return periods.

There are ofc blp weapons that are eco and laser weapons that aren't, but this is just a (very) generalised observation of blp and laser weapons effect on loot. What is clear however, is that gear does affect your loot, so it isn't only the mob.

I have no words. You're both incredibly mis-informed.

I was about to write a reply to them, but didn't know where to start...
I think I'll just quietly agree with you.

(Must spread more rep)

Or you have simply overlooked these facts and have no supporting information to prove otherwise.

P.S.
It is all programming code, mathematics and systems. There is no "Lootius" and if MA tampers with any of this, it could potentially end them up in court. It's the same concept as a slot machine, pull the handle (kill the mob) and you might win, you might lose. You don't know what's going on inside the machine at that given spin, but you could find patterns (some people have) and make some money.

Last edited:
Can you elaborate?

What is clear however, is that gear does affect your loot, so it isn't only the mob.

I don't understand how this can be clear to you, when it completely doesn't exist.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Just because, apparently, BLP hofs more than lasers (I really don't understand where you found this stat from), does not mean in any way shape or form that this is due to the weapon type.

"2 guns of the same level" does not mean "2 guns of equal DPS (killspeed)". If you kill more per minute, you're gonna HOF more.

Let me say this one more time, everybody now, big shout:

HP IS THE ONLY THING WHICH AFFECTS TT LOOT.

The whole point of this thread is to try to work out exactly how the multipliers are aligned with said hp=loot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you have simply overlooked these facts and have no supporting information to prove otherwise.

P.S.
It is all programming code, mathematics and systems. There is no "Lootius" and if MA tampers with any of this, it could potentially end them up in court. It's the same concept as a slot machine, pull the handle (kill the mob) and you might win, you might lose. You don't know what's going on inside the machine at that given spin, but you could find patterns (some people have) and make some money.

If you could please, please, PLEASE actually write some facts I can tell you how I haven't overlooked them.

Comparing TT return of furor to atrox is beyond batshit insane to determine if regen affects tt return (it fuckin does).

There isn't much to discuss without numbers.

I mean I can tell that I have 7k in both laser and blp weaponry technology and I haven't ever noticed any difference in loot returns when using different weapons. But it's just an observation which could've been skewed by any number of biases.

I don't understand how this can be clear to you, when it completely doesn't exist.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Just because, apparently, BLP hofs more than lasers (I really don't understand where you found this stat from), does not mean in any way shape or form that this is due to the weapon type.

"2 guns of the same level" does not mean "2 guns of equal DPS (killspeed)". If you kill more per minute, you're gonna HOF more.

Let me say this one more time, everybody now, big shout:

The whole point of this thread is to try to work out exactly how the multipliers are aligned with said hp=loot.

<removed>

Multipliers can exist on the MOB side and elsewhere. His speculation is that they can exist (and i agree) within gear. There is no proof that they only exist on the MOB side and there is also no proof that loot is solely based on the HP of the MOB. There is speculation that this is how it works, but until someone comes up with the exact science or MA decides to explain, you are simply being an ass.

Yet I'm at 86% tt return with uneco (2.6 and 1.75-1.9 dmg/pec) guns after 190k tt spent without any big loot so I can assure you that lower dmg/pec makes your loot bigger compared to higher dmg/pec :rolleyes: If it didn't, I'd be very poor by now :)

If you could please, please, PLEASE actually write some facts I can tell you how I haven't overlooked them.

Comparing TT return of furor to atrox is beyond batshit insane to determine if regen affects tt return (it fuckin does).

THERE ARE NO FACTS SUPPORTING EITHER SIDE YET - THIS IS WHY THEY ARE CALLED: THEORIES!

Atrox Mature Health: 1030
Regen Speed: 4.9

Furor Adept Health: 1030
Regen Speed: 10.08

Now you tell me where it is I'm batshit insane for comparing these two?

THERE ARE NO FACTS SUPPORTING EITHER SIDE YET - THIS IS WHY THEY ARE CALLED: THEORIES!

Now you tell me where it is I'm batshit insane for comparing these two?

I asked you to provide facts... because you said I'm overlooking them... but if there aren't any facts.. what am I overlooking?

I fucking give up. I really do. | | this far from deleting my account and just letting you lot rot with your idiot theories.

There's a few real good, intelligent people here who are producing stats which are worthwhile.

Then theres the:

More decay = more loot!
BLP gives more hofs!
MA tracks my expenditure and gives me hofs!

crowd of make believe idiots.

HinDragoz said:
Yet I'm at 86% tt return with uneco (2.6 and 1.75-1.9 dmg/pec) guns after 190k tt spent without any big loot so I can assure you that lower dmg/pec makes your loot bigger compared to higher dmg/pec If it didn't, I'd be very poor by now

Oh shit, you got me there.

There's absolutely no chance that you're just lucky. None whatsoever. (2.6/2.8 = 10% difference, 86->96% return = 10% difference, by the fucking way).

Let's stay friendly with each other here, shall we?
I would call most comments 'limited observations', only some of which have been followed up more statistically, but sometimes the system may have changed since then.

I believe that the main reason for this is because generally speaking, globals and hofs are compensations for really bad returns and since blp users burn more ammo for a higher cost, they are compensated more frequently than laser users.

I used to see what I considered to be 'compensation' too, but it seemed to stop suspiciously close to (and before) those MA notes about personal loot pools. I have seen hints that using different weapons may give different tt payouts within the set boundaries, but not quite statistically relevant (semi-proven) effects.

Anyway, on the 1.x multiplier - I do often get loots a bit above my average kill cost for a mob, and not because of regen. It could be that a bit of overkill is taken into account as a basic expectation for some mobs instead, though.

I calculate the highest basic loot expectation as basic health/3 x 1.2. So far this has also held for a mob with 80 hp, where I'd expect 32 pecs tt. My highest observed recently is indeed 32 pecs.

P.S.

I asked you to provide facts... because you said I'm overlooking them... but if there aren't any facts.. what am I overlooking?

I think you're confused. I suppose I could have included "but here's a FEW facts" after "THERE ARE NO FACTS SUPPORTING EITHER SIDE YET - THIS IS WHY THEY ARE CALLED: THEORIES!". Sorry for confusing you.

There's absolutely no chance that you're just lucky. None whatsoever. (2.6/2.8 = 10% difference, 86->96% return = 10% difference, by the fucking way).

After 190k tt spent without big loots? I don't think luck has anything to do with this anymore :) Normal loots clearly became bigger, and I can easily make a proof of this by hunting something with eco and uneco guns and comparing the min/max normal loots, which I have done before and confirmed :)

Sorry Aio but all I said is based on what I had observed and theories I had based on my observations and conversations with other players. Seeing as how others ingame and in this post have made similiar observations, I can't be that wrong in my theory that weapon/weapon eco affects loot return. (Even i you do increase font size to prove otherwise). So unless you have facts (of which there are non, unless you have insider information directly from the programmers responsible for the loot system), all theories are valid until proven otherwise with clear and solid facts. My theory might be wrong, but as long as I keep getting the statistics to support it I'll stick with it.

Not that it actually matters, I either lose a lot of money fast or very fast, but it is fun to discuss and hear other peoples' theories.

i hunted punys with a really low dps noob rifle and with the same rifle and an a104 attached (so lot of decay just puffed away without an effect on dmg) to look what happens (only for 10 ped ammo each or so)....believe me, loot size changed

edit: and wasn't there someone who did this with e-amp15+opalo on molisk youngs and posted the results here on pcf?

I have just read the op starting thread no other respones so not sure if this was mentioned already.

It is interestnig info and it seems to me i can confirm that. Whats more i can add some more...
if you let mob regen it will yeld more average common looters too.
I.e. if you nearly kill 300hp mob (i.e. leaving 1hp) and let it regen to full hp and then kill it aftern - you have chance of looting common looter worth up to 600hp mob kill (so like in the ops example 2ped in this case). You can leave the mob out of radar range for few minutes (not sure how long but my guess would be untill someone kills it or it gets tureted) and come back and the loot is still "enhanced".

I have tested this on two different mobs (one very small and snd bigger). On smaller i tested up to +240% of base mobs hp regening (so total of 360%) and common looters were looting +227% (so 327% value of common looters) more loot compared to killed fast. And no it was not luck nor coincedence. seems directly proportional cripled by few % (ever heard of 90% TT returns :laugh:?). I had no more patience to test where is the limit of regening (but normal hunting hardly ever excedes +50% i would say - so just dont worry too much about regen).

I am not sure if this influences also minis/multiplyers because it would need hell of a lot data colected both on fast killing (no regen) and then slow killing - and person would need to note every single mini he gets and count average value. Still even done this on like over 1milion mobs sample each case - there will be sceptics saying "it was just luck".

But what i mentioned about letting mob regen increases common looters is very easy to check by anyone if you do not belive me (like op said - common looters happen very often ;)).

Falagor
:bandit:

Thanks everyone for the input.. Let's keep this rolling!

As I stated in the OP, the 300 hp per ped was merely a good framework to start with.. no matter what weapon you use, big or small.. over time the numbers will still crunch down to around this 300 hp per ped figure..

That being said, this is in a static environment only (as in, we are not accounting for mob damg, aggression, regen, human error, overkill or defense costs in any way)..

So it seems logical and only fair that the true min/max range will account for some of these things in some way, (up to a point)

also, let's remember that these are indeed Averages.. all the effective eco and dps figures on entropedia are just that: Averages (over large samples)

Exmpl: It will rarely ever cost you exactly 1 ped to kill an argo young,, but this will be the average over time..

So, sticking to the 300 hp per ped framework.. we can look at loots received in the max range as 1.x cost to kill:

It's now looking like a safe estimate that this might be capped (as Ermik and Aio have stated) under normal circumstances.. (Aio's example of enlarged loots on the Brood Mother still fit under a 1.5x cost to kill cap)

Under extremities, such as Falagor's comments of letting mobs regen back to full, things look a bit different (Although, still seemingly like a 0 sum game) as an exmpl if you make it cost 2 peds for you to kill a 1 ped mob and in fact loot within a range more normal for a 2 ped mob.. where does that exactly get you? (0 sum) so this might indeed be valid.

We can see quite clearly already, that 300 damg per ped is not the hard wall to determine the min/max value ranges, and thus not the sole basis of the min/max return values (although it is for sure the main and biggest factor).. 300 hp per ped is however the average cost over time to make damg.

We are now peeking into the game balance mechanics..

also to note, one reason why atrox and furor are not possibly a good measuring stick as far as regen payback is that they are both "regen" mobs (1 regen every 4 secs) and thus they are far more similar than not.. a better, more extreme comparison would be between a similar hp mob that has "regen" and one that does not (no regen = 1 regen every 20 secs like our avis do)..

Let's not also confuse two aspects of regen:

1. the mob has regen, it is part of the mobs difficulty (L- lvl) and most probably factored into the min/max in some way(remember when regen was first introduced. MA did indeed comment that loots are to be adjusted accordingly)

2. How much the mob has actually regenerated during combat (to a certain degree player controlled).. these are 2 difft things..

Some more food for thought..

008 :cool:

Thanks everyone for the input.. Let's keep this rolling!

As I stated in the OP, the 300 hp per ped was merely a good framework to start with.. no matter what weapon you use, big or small.. over time the numbers will still crunch down to around this 300 hp per ped figure..

That being said, this is in a static environment only (as in, we are not accounting for mob damg, aggression, regen, human error, overkill or defense costs in any way)..

So it seems logical and only fair that the true min/max range will account for some of these things in some way, (up to a point)

also, let's remember that these are indeed Averages.. all the effective eco and dps figures on entropedia are just that: Averages (over large samples)

Exmpl: It will rarely ever cost you exactly 1 ped to kill an argo young,, but this will be the average over time..

So, sticking to the 300 hp per ped framework.. we can look at loots received in the max range as 1.x cost to kill:

It's now looking like a safe estimate that this might be capped (as Ermik and Aio have stated) under normal circumstances.. (Aio's example of enlarged loots on the Brood Mother still fit under a 1.5x cost to kill cap)

Under extremities, such as Falagor's comments of letting mobs regen back to full, things look a bit different (Although, still seemingly like a 0 sum game) as an exmpl if you make it cost 2 peds for you to kill a 1 ped mob and in fact loot within a range more normal for a 2 ped mob.. where does that exactly get you? (0 sum) so this might indeed be valid.

We can see quite clearly already, that 300 damg per ped is not the hard wall to determine the min/max value ranges, and thus not the sole basis of the min/max return values (although it is for sure the main and biggest factor).. 300 hp per ped is however the average cost over time to make damg.

We are now peeking into the game balance mechanics..

also to note, one reason why atrox and furor are not possibly a good measuring stick as far as regen payback is that they are both "regen" mobs (1 regen every 4 secs) and thus they are far more similar than not.. a better, more extreme comparison would be between a similar hp mob that has "regen" and one that does not (no regen = 1 regen every 20 secs like our avis do)..

Let's not also confuse two aspects of regen:

1. the mob has regen, it is part of the mobs difficulty (L- lvl) and most probably factored into the min/max in some way(remember when regen was first introduced. MA did indeed comment that loots are to be adjusted accordingly)

2. How much the mob has actually regenerated during combat (to a certain degree player controlled).. these are 2 difft things..

Some more food for thought..

008 :cool:

If Falagor's method is accurate, what is the point in hunting more than 1 creature? - Is it to say that if I am to shoot a mob down and let it regenerate it's health 10x, i'm going to see 10x times what the loot would have been? You could essentially 'prime' a mob up to global size every time, it may take you 70 peds to get a 50 ped global, but you could potentially do it. I do call 'bs' on this, unless someone wants to split on a 100ped Argo Young cost?

Hah!

If Falagor's method is accurate, what is the point in hunting more than 1 creature? - Is it to say that if I am to shoot a mob down and let it regenerate it's health 10x, i'm going to see 10x times what the loot would have been? You could essentially 'prime' a mob up to global size every time, it may take you 70 peds to get a 50 ped global, but you could potentially do it. I do call 'bs' on this, unless someone wants to split on a 100ped Argo Young cost?

Hah!

<removed>

It's been tried, tested and fully confirmed that the amount a mob regens is factored into the loot.

<removed>

Like I said, I'll split on a 100ped Argonaut Young. If this has been done before, just reference me the facts and I will eat my words. I am actually wanting to be proven wrong, it would make hunting so much easier for me.

/mod note/

For goodness sake, knock off the shouting and personal insults in posts!

I originally moved this thread to the Hunting sub-forum, because
1/ it did not meet the criteria for the Dev's forum, and
2/ it seemed to be simply observations about hunting returns.

Now it's moved more into the area of 'Loot theories' so I'll be moving it to that forum.

/end mod note/

Just on a personal note, if you want to debate loot mechanics, I'd suggest you do it with basic research and data, not just gut feelings:
Search the forum for the evidence already gathered by others over the years, and post links to support your statements.
If noone has done whatever tests are needed to support whatever hypothesis you're offering, start a log of your own to collect data (just like others have done).

It's been tried, tested and fully confirmed that the amount a mob regens is factored into the loot.

I remember reading the test thread... but can't seem to find it now... wasn't it someone with a mann mph shooting a rex while being fapped by his wife?:confused: It was something along those lines.

Hah!

Notice that they MAY be cap for regeneration - i am not sure if there is. Even more there MAY be cap at different value for each mob and maturity. I have tested this on caraboks and traeskerons. If you do not belive me and want to prove me wrong - do the test yourself.

Here is link to to sheet with my test on caraboks <click>
If you think the data is fake - do exactly same test: its easy to repeat by anyone.
Description of the test:
- weapon used was Unlimited Lacerating Attack Nanochip I: 4.0-8.0 dmg, you can use any weapon that you like actually that wont 1 shoot kill them
- cells with numbers contain pec value (i.e. 2.12 means i looted i.e. 2 oil residue and 12 BLP weapon cells).
Column description:

• "normal" column - kiling carabok fast - with nearly no regen (some regen may have occured but at max it was 0.5hp). This means all mobs died by dealing 10hp to them
  • "+1 shoot" - shooting exactly once (if MISS then shoot again) and wait for mob to fully regen. Average damage done with weapon is 6.0. So average hp dealt was 16hp.
  • "+4 shoots" - as before but repeated 4 times each time waiting for full regen before killing. Hp dealt on average - 34hp.
Data is sorted and at the bottom there are calculations for average common loot in each column (i have ignored any "minis" in this calculation) coloured with GREEN.
YELLOW are including also minis - it "seems" they are bigger too but there is too little data to actually say something about those.
BLUE means actual percentage of loot compared to base hp (i.e. 16hp avg common looter to 10hp common looter)

Notice that i also have tested huge overkill (last column called "RAW-505") - i am 95% it is wasted (i give 5% that it may come back later as random hof or something like that).

Imho even the eco understood as dmg/pec is also not important but that is whole another subject that i do not want to get into (nor i have enough data to prove it yet). Whats important - ALWAYS use SIB weapon that you are maxed with (non-sibs when you are nearly lev 100 ;)).

@edit:
(...)
If noone has done whatever tests are needed to support whatever hypothesis you're offering, start a log of your own to collect data (just like others have done).
hope this post will be treated as evidence of my previos statements.

Falagor
:bandit:

I remember reading the test thread... but can't seem to find it now... wasn't it someone with a mann mph shooting a rex while being fapped by his wife?:confused: It was something along those lines.

it was grave with mann mph shooting an dasp if i remember correctly

it was grave with mann mph shooting an dasp if i remember correctly

Grave's thread: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?132137-Grave-Digger-got-bored
JimmyB's thread: https://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/forums/showthread.php?101842-Some-utterly-insane-tests

Falagor said:
...hope this post will be treated as evidence of my previos statements.
Thanks for posting the spreadsheet, as it allows the statisticians here (and I dont consider myself to be in that category) to go over the raw data for confirmation. My only comment would be that there is a limited number of data points given.
Maybe Falkao could be persuaded to take a look, given the research he's already doing into mining (for which I'm collecting data for him - 6k data points of total 20k planned for this series).

Last edited:
Thx for digging those threads out, and getting some tests and facts into the discussion. (+rep)

For those of you not believing regeneration affects loot, take a look at JimmyB's 2nd test on page 5.
It's pretty conclusive, though there are still uncertainties about some of the details.

Personally I go with the 'big HP changes loot distribution' theory, but that's another discussion.

Back