Port Atlantis Overcrowded!

Status
A new area for newbies will be great a new TP for them on another location with puny...a totally new server...Since September Camp Icarus was a real success....Since they say is a Planet Calypso ads...I asked newbies to see were are those ads....most of them answered they read some articles on mmo gamers pages
...the most of them pointed the Maghyar_Republic or Narfi Hungry William articles.

Make a clone of Camp Icarus (Camp Icarus II TP)
Design New Oxford TP to be a trading center ,Twin Peaks is also crowded and to much lag...

Last edited:
Isn't this how areas such as service centers already work? They seem to load entirely separately from what's going on outside. If you're at Twin in the service center, the game doesn't render all the players outside and all the trade chat they produce.
When the Punishers & Commanders were attacking ppl at Cape Corinth TP you could feel the entire service center shake when the grenades exploded outside, and eventually u could even get small area damage - although you were in the center room and there was no sign about outside objects on your radar.
Leads me to think service centers are actually no different than any other area, it's only a few little tricks with the chat and radar that gives u an impression as thou you are in a somewhat isolated place... most likely applies to the malls also.

A new area for newbies will be great a new TP for them on another location with puny...a totally new server...Since September Camp Icarus was a real success....Since they say is a Planet Calypso ads...I asked newbies to see were are those ads....most of them answered they read some articles on mmo gamers pages
...the most of them pointed the Maghyar_Republic or Narfi Hungry William articles.

Well that's cool! Woke up this morning and read this. Much better than the morning news. :girl: I know Narfi works hard. I wish I had more time this year to devote to research in EU, but sadly RL has been keeping me busy. I did run into one fellow who read something I wrote and was glad to meet me, but was unsure how many people saw it. Nighthawk showed me some ads though, and I was a bit beside myself.

Make a clone of Camp Icarus (Camp Icarus II TP)
Design New Oxford TP to be a trading center ,Twin Peaks is also crowded and to much lag...

I think a clone would be a bad idea. The solution IMHO is to utilize different areas more fully. Have another Puny spawn at Corinth and Atlas Haven. Provide a variety of types of quests to keep hunters moving to different areas. Kill 100 is great and all, but how about "Turn in 20 trophies and get a 30 minute buff that increases your run speed by 3%" Or "the Tripudion are destroying the crops in the greenhouse. guard the greenhouse tonight and receive a reward" (can only be completed 1x per day). Can even have quests for the different companies and factions "CDF is reporting communications are down at Jason Centre. Please deliver and install this repair device. Note: Robot activity may require you to bring self defense." (1x per day)

Space these types of quests out at the Atlantis res points, Atlas Haven, Cape Corinth, Twin Peaks, New Oxford, Orthos West and watch the player traffic disperse as folks pursue various quest lines.

Dear Calypsians,

We have a problem with overcrowding on the Port Atlantis/Camp Icarus server during peak hours. This is caused by the large influx of new players due to the success of the current ad-campaign.

Screen shot or it didn't happen!!!
LOL
Seriously though, where can I see some of these ads, etc. ?

Seriously though, where can I see some of these ads, etc. ?

I have been seeing them at various webcomic sites, Wookiepedia, YouTube, some MMO sites, DeviantArt, etc.

Just loading up my page I found:

EUAd.png

It would be much easier if new players had another Puny spawn available. - Unfortunately, right now Cape Corinth is no option for beginners, either.

New players do get free rides to other sweating spots (Nea's, OLA 42), which helps the Icarus area, but which causes these areas to be too crowded for comfort as well.

To be honest, I'm not sure what area I could suggest for new players atm.

fort isis is a nice place if we can push the noobs all the way there :)

Anyone been there recently after MA asked us not to go there?
How many newcomers are there that server cant deal with ?
Are there still more old avas then new ones?
Do ppl stil spawn 20 or 30 cars arround there?
Are low lvl traders, disciple farmer hunters still there?

Just to remind everyone what the old PA used to look like, i.e. before vu10.

now when I and many others started you wouldn't have been able to see the floor tiles for the number of players in the area. The quickest method to get around was to jump over players.

Sadly all the videos I can find are from 2007 PA with the bank and Mall.

Are low lvl traders, disciple farmer hunters still there?

Unless there is a quick way for a beginner to get to Twin Peaks without help, they need the help of low level traders. And if there are decent mentors around, it's better than, well, nothing.

(Thanks to it's now possible to boot a mentor in a more organized way the disciple farmers isn't as bad as it used to be - a beginner who finds himself stuck with an offline mentor can change.)

As for the tiles in PA: I thought they brought lag when they came :laugh:

Its simple... They deleted Hadesheim city, so MA wants to make a new one. How? make PA a ghost city.:computer:

Just to remind everyone what the old PA used to look like, i.e. before vu10.

now when I and many others started you wouldn't have been able to see the floor tiles for the number of players in the area. The quickest method to get around was to jump over players.
Ohh, the sweet old PA... the last town i really enjoyed!

Think it was the (relatively) small area around the TP, surrounded with solid walls - somewhere deep down it instilled the feeling of safety to the poor noob who had seen enough death for the day...

c'mon, shouldn't be that hard to re-create :scratch2:

Ohh, the sweet old PA... the last town i really enjoyed!

Think it was the (relatively) small area around the TP, surrounded with solid walls - somewhere deep down it instilled the feeling of safety to the poor noob who had seen enough death for the day...

c'mon, shouldn't be that hard to re-create :scratch2:

Lets *not* re-create PA again. Maybe they could do this with Atlas Haven or something. I'm pretty sure that's on the radar for a remake.

PA has seen enough changes. Lets work with what we have, at this point, and stop trying to re-invent the wheel.

Lets *not* re-create PA again. Maybe they could do this with Atlas Haven or something. I'm pretty sure that's on the radar for a remake.

PA has seen enough changes. Lets work with what we have, at this point, and stop trying to re-invent the wheel.
Definitely have to work with what we have.
After trying to extinquish the fire mentioned in OP, the Calypso team most likely tries to work out some long-term solution, or probably has done it already.
If this solution involves some low-level trading hub (with TP) somewhere near Camp Icarus, then they might consider re-using certain ideas from the old PA layout:
  • psychological "feng shui" thing (to make newcomers feel comfortable)
  • high walls > less need to load/render distant objects > less lag
imho, old PA was actually pretty clever.. ;)

Also, we need the sit down/lay down option back to our avatars, it's just not the same without it.

Maybe another robot mothership will crash into the planet and things will go back to the way they were before. :laugh:

[*]high walls > less need to load/render distant objects > less lag

I wonder if high walls really prevents the client from rendering all avatars on radar. And if it does we probably have the problem someone runs past the opening of the wall; that the client will render them when they are at the opening, then when they are past the opening client will discard them and next time they walk by the opening client will render them again from scratch. (To see what I mean: Enter servicestation in twin peaks. You see noone/not even auctioneer. You exit because someone shouted something. You enter servicestation again, and you have to wait another 5 minutes to see the auctioneer. (Well jnot really 5 minutes). Bottom floor on the building at Camp Icarus is the same thing (but there the problem is the opposite: You want to trade someone who's outside. You make a mob icon. Then you go inside, to storage or trade termina, and go outside agan. Now the mob icon is gone [thanks to a pvp nerf], and you need to wait a couple of minutes until you can see the one you intended to trade (because everyone outside needs to be re-rendered).

(The second floor at Camp Icarus doesn't have that problem, but the trade terminal on second floor at Camp Icarus doesn't sell "beginner level" equipment.)

Another thing with walls is that they can be annoying if you're at the wrong side and you need to get in, for instance. Let's say you're TP:ing to Fort Troy. Blah, you're outside a huge wall. You start to run around it. Then you realized you took the wrong turn. Sigh. Or the fence at Twin Peaks: You're TPing into Twin Peaks (or Atlas Haven), and find yourself in a 10x10m area surrounded by short fence. You can't jump over it. You have to run around pretty much entire Twin peaks to get back inside.

I am a rather new player. I started roughly 6 weeks ago. These login issues due to overcrowded area is seriously idiotic and quite insulting.

"The area you have tried to enter has reached its population limit. Please try a different location."
As far as I know we can't change area unless we're logged in. How can I change area if I can't login? :scratch2:

The second issue, that has been mentioned earlier in this thread, is that we "noobs" sweat/swunt/hunt punys. They are the easiest kill available, which means "easy" skill increase. They are also included in Iron missions. Why oh why can't we find punys elsewhere on Calypso? We're bound to PA and Icarus, literally!

FYI, I have tried to login for 40 minutes now. Still overcrowded. I'd be located somewhere else if I hadn't been thrown out of the game due to disconnection by the servers before I had a chance to relocate. I'm not a happy camper!

I am a rather new player. I started roughly 6 weeks ago. These login issues due to overcrowded area is seriously idiotic and quite insulting.

"The area you have tried to enter has reached its population limit. Please try a different location."
As far as I know we can't change area unless we're logged in. How can I change area if I can't login? :scratch2:

The second issue, that has been mentioned earlier in this thread, is that we "noobs" sweat/swunt/hunt punys. They are the easiest kill available, which means "easy" skill increase. They are also included in Iron missions. Why oh why can't we find punys elsewhere on Calypso? We're bound to PA and Icarus, literally!

FYI, I have tried to login for 40 minutes now. Still overcrowded. I'd be located somewhere else if I hadn't been thrown out of the game due to disconnection by the servers before I had a chance to relocate. I'm not a happy camper!

I'm sure theyre looking to resolve this. This was probably unexpected. I have not seen crowds like this in about 3 years.

Why oh why can't we find punys elsewhere on Calypso? We're bound to PA and Icarus, literally!

There is a spawn of Puny around Medusa's Head... around 53250, 69300. Not very dense, but with decent respawn rate iirc. Just don't wander too far out of turret range, as higher level mobs are fairly close.

I'm sure theyre looking to resolve this. This was probably unexpected. I have not seen crowds like this in about 3 years.
I do hope so because it happens every (European) evening.
There is a spawn of Puny around Medusa's Head... around 53250, 69300. Not very dense, but with decent respawn rate iirc. Just don't wander too far out of turret range, as higher level mobs are fairly close.
Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of this.

Dear Calypsians,

We have a problem with overcrowding on the Port Atlantis/Camp Icarus server during peak hours. This is caused by the large influx of new players due to the success of the current ad-campaign.

We are working on increasing the capacity but until then we kindly ask for your help so that the new players who join actually have somewhere to go after the gateway/Thule.

So how can you help?

• If you're socializing, trading etc please consider choosing another location like Twin Peaks.
  • If you're out hunting or mining, see if you can hunt the same creature or mine the same resource on another area.
  • If you have disciples that you know play near Port Atlantis, let them know of alternative areas!

Hi Dev-Masters :D

in cause of your request i urgendtly recommend to place some puny mobs on a quiet spot close to a TP and tell us where it is.

All the nubs are hunting first time are punys.
But i know only PA and icarus as common spots for this.
Probably would be a good idea to place some anywhere on eudroia where we have not to fly the newsters throguh whole unisverse to get them to the new spot :)

gl all and we can help if you give us few other options where we can drop em off :D

There is a spawn of Puny around Medusa's Head... around 53250, 69300.

Do you know if they're taxed?

And because of the neighbouring mobs it feels a bit dangerous for a beginner (without vehicle) - if you die on the other side of LA border I guess you'd be sent to the revival in the middle of the LA.

Do you know if they're taxed?

And because of the neighbouring mobs it feels a bit dangerous for a beginner (without vehicle) - if you die on the other side of LA border I guess you'd be sent to the revival in the middle of the LA.

Hmm, I don't think they are taxed, but good point about the LA border... Any noob hunting there should be careful to avoid being inside the LA, since the revive is difficult to leave.

Well actually they did a few things to help out to reduce load on the server.

What was mentioned above and they made loot miserable pretty much for everyone, well at least everyone I have talked with. They figured hey we know we can't fix actual technical issues with the systems but something we are very good at is lets make loot bad and people will just leave, hence fix our issue with server overload.

Two of my newer disciples quit last couple days because they don't see how they can play the game with 30-55% tt return on loot hunting and mining, I never even got them into crafting yet. I actually don't even blame them for leaving, the game mechanics just can't go from 60-80% tt return rate for struggling new players to 30-55% tt return for short while week or two and expect to keep players wanting to play the game. Just sucks because if MA does this crap whats the point being a mentor to help newer players if there is no reasons for new players to stay to finish their discipleship, it is waste of time for mentor and disciple really.

Heck I myself pretty much stopped playing now because of this last week, no reason to dump into the game if there is not even a smidgen of hope to make even 70% return on actions.

Well actually they did a few things to help out to reduce load on the server.

What was mentioned above and they made loot miserable pretty much for everyone, well at least everyone I have talked with. They figured hey we know we can't fix actual technical issues with the systems but something we are very good at is lets make loot bad and people will just leave, hence fix our issue with server overload.

Two of my newer disciples quit last couple days because they don't see how they can play the game with 30-55% tt return on loot hunting and mining, I never even got them into crafting yet. I actually don't even blame them for leaving, the game mechanics just can't go from 60-80% tt return rate for struggling new players to 30-55% tt return for short while week or two and expect to keep players wanting to play the game. Just sucks because if MA does this crap whats the point being a mentor to help newer players if there is no reasons for new players to stay to finish their discipleship, it is waste of time for mentor and disciple really.

Heck I myself pretty much stopped playing now because of this last week, no reason to dump into the game if there is not even a smidgen of hope to make even 70% return on actions.

Hold on a second. How long have you played? You do know that each avatar, as well as each mob, each resource, each land area, etc has its own upswings and downswings, right?

Plenty of avatars are doing fine. Plenty of avatars are doing poorly. As a mentor you shouldnt be teaching people to blame the system whenever their loot drops. You should be teaching them to change their strategies, adjust with the game rather than trying to fight it. Your goal is to teach people to enjoy EU. Not teach them that the developers are out to get them.

Hold on a second. How long have you played? You do know that each avatar, as well as each mob, each resource, each land area, etc has its own upswings and downswings, right?

Plenty of avatars are doing fine. Plenty of avatars are doing poorly. As a mentor you shouldnt be teaching people to blame the system whenever their loot drops. You should be teaching them to change their strategies, adjust with the game rather than trying to fight it. Your goal is to teach people to enjoy EU. Not teach them that the developers are out to get them.

I never taught them to blame the system they deciphered that themselves, they told me they are done and why and that they can be removed from my disciple list if I wanted to remove them. I never blamed them one bit for their choice because frankly I see the same thing they are seeing.

I do teach strategies on how to adapt but really it is hard to adapt and teach when you yourself can't catch a break on any planet on any LA or doing any actions either, you can't advise someone to do something if you yourself can't make it work first. And as stated I have talked with many people and they are all in the same boat it seems so it is just not me. Applaud your ignorance to an actual issue and good luck.

BTW I have been playing and tracking my actions very carefully for 2 years so some person telling me it is all good everything is ok and that my own personal data is faulty can be ignored IMHO.

Status
Back