Port Atlantis Overcrowded!

Status
I never taught them to blame the system they deciphered that themselves, they told me they are done and why and that they can be removed from my disciple list if I wanted to remove them. I never blamed them one bit for their choice because frankly I see the same thing they are seeing.

If you see the same thing they are seeing you probably shouldn't be mentoring.

Look. It's pretty simple.

The system is geared over the long term to make every player pay. 90% returns over time are a pretty well established expectation, and to be honest a pretty reasonable one. We as players pay a maintenance fee to keep the servers in operation.

The only way players can consistently make money in this game is by finding ways to outsmart the system and conduct a profitable business within EU by forging relationships with other players. The systems job is to challenge players to do this.

Nothing personal. I'm sure youre a great person. I'm sure your 2 years of data within EU are telling you that you are spending money, and you are likely 100% correct there. You are spending money.

It took me over 2 years before I started to see consistent returns, and now at almost 4 years I am at a point where my avatar value exceeds my total deposits, and at the end of August I will have actually broken financially even on my expenditures while consistently watching my avatar grow. Anything after that is pure profit.

I dont know your particular playstyle. Im not even going to guess. What I am saying is your assessment may be based on a faulty assumption. You may be looking for the system to pay you back, or keep things fair. That's not its job. If you're looking at the system to act as an arbiter, you are playing the game wrong IMHO.

I never taught them to blame the system they deciphered that themselves, they told me they are done and why and that they can be removed from my disciple list if I wanted to remove them. I never blamed them one bit for their choice because frankly I see the same thing they are seeing.

Sorry. Newbie simple can't "decipher" something here, simple because he/she can't gather data sample size enough, for such short time.

If you see the same thing they are seeing you probably shouldn't be mentoring.

Look. It's pretty simple.

The system is geared over the long term to make every player pay. 90% returns over time are a pretty well established expectation, and to be honest a pretty reasonable one. We as players pay a maintenance fee to keep the servers in operation.

The only way players can consistently make money in this game is by finding ways to outsmart the system and conduct a profitable business within EU by forging relationships with other players. The systems job is to challenge players to do this.

Nothing personal. I'm sure youre a great person. I'm sure your 2 years of data within EU are telling you that you are spending money, and you are likely 100% correct there. You are spending money.

It took me over 2 years before I started to see consistent returns, and now at almost 4 years I am at a point where my avatar value exceeds my total deposits, and at the end of August I will have actually broken financially even on my expenditures while consistently watching my avatar grow. Anything after that is pure profit.

I dont know your particular playstyle. Im not even going to guess. What I am saying is your assessment may be based on a faulty assumption. You may be looking for the system to pay you back, or keep things fair. That's not its job. If you're looking at the system to act as an arbiter, you are playing the game wrong IMHO.

Wrong... I am liked by my disciples because of my complete honesty and sharing of actual collected facts and data and can prove it to them by showing them how to do it, but lately I can't catch a break to show anything besides how to consistently loose at everything no matter how you play or where you play. So I will continue mentoring because I personally take time and effort to try helping players with the game as it is, not as someone sees it to be in the clouds, such as yourself apparently.

I have never and will never expect to make constant money in the game, you derived that yourself, just to prove your ignorance. I was saying that if I see the issue, my disciples see the issues and many many others see the issues, it is an issue not a matter of just me playing wrong.

I accept I am spending money, and technically should spend some to pay for my entertainment, but this last week for me it is at a rate 150-200 times faster then prior months and way more then 200% then before December. Others are seeing the exact same thing, why that huge increase is the issue, we are all fine loosing slowly to support the game but when it goes down to nothing super fast that's the issue.

And my assessment of the system is based on factual data, I personally collect, not some forum posted stuff that I just accept, so I believe my data over anything someone says here or anywhere, because well it is based on data I seen and collected. I do read the other data here on the forums to correlate my findings with and try to figure out projections but nothing is completely accurate but we just have to go with what we figure out. And I trust my data and it is telling me they did something lately and it is leading to people leaving, getting mad about bad loot etc. lately.

I am glad you have such an optimistic outlook and are coming back, wish we could all see thing so blindly as you. With this I now unsubscribe and ignore your fan boy type optimism, I seen an issue, others see it and I stated my point, be it ignored or otherwise I don't care for more discussion and derailing of topic.

Discussion OVER......

Sorry. Newbie simple can't "decipher" something here, simple because he/she can't gather data sample size enough, for such short time.

OK... Whatever you say...

Wrong... I am liked by my disciples because of my complete honesty and sharing of actual collected facts and data and can prove it to them by showing them how to do it....

Um. So what?

The rest IMHO is pure self justifying crap.

Pardon me, but it's true.

How many people would join this game if the only objective in it would be to actively seek the way to earn PEDs (ie trading) and nothing else but trading?

How come people hunt mobs even when loot is bad?

Could it be they're on an Iron Mission that tells you to hunt x thousands of a certain mob?

Could it be they hunt a non-standard mob trying to get that unique item drop [that won't drop anyway because MA just moved it to another mob to keep ubers happy]?

Could it be they are hunting even if mining and crafting currently give better results becase they are confident with hunting, and either doesn't have the PED buffer needed for mining or doesn't have the patience it takes to make mining maps with timing parameters so they know exactly when to top a bomb where [or that they once had a good idea what resource was where but MA shuffled it around]? Could it be they don't craft because they see the blueprints they have and sees there is nothing they can craft no one else wants?

When it comes to mentoring, let's say there are three levels of mentors:
a) Clueless mentors that are mentors for the people they brought ingame. Either IRL friends or people who just want the mentor gift.
b) Normal players who know the mechanics but not now to profit
c) Players who got a really good feeling about the mechanics and so on. Knowing when and where to mine, when a mob gives a better TT return (normal players usually knows which looted items have markup)

I consider myself to be "class b", so I'm not actively seeking disciples. I more occasionally help people who have a mentor of type (a).

As for (c), there is there is a collision in interest: People who are good at making money ingame usually want to keep the mouth shut about it. If they know a mob with good returns they want to hunt on it in peace until loot dries out. If they know a good mining area they want to keep it for themselves so the area doesn't suddnetly get filled with people. Some people even wants money for their knowledge sometimes even through external means (ie paypal). In some cases part of the scheme is to have alt avatars (one represenatative avatar, one reselling avatar, a few avatars scattered on planets to keep eye on local auctions, one space pilot avatar etc). As alt avatars at least officially isn't endorsed we can't tell beginners to get alt avatars to make It easier to gain cash.

(Also there can of course be the case that for group (a) of players a mob gives great loot, while group (b) of players just get symbolic loots from it. I sometimes notice this during events.)

And if everything is about making profit, what about the professions that don't give profit? If everyone is just in for the money why care about clothes and coloring/texturizing?

Last edited:
OK... Whatever you say...
:eyecrazy:
May i suggest u don't take disciples until u know this for sure, from your own experience?
Just don't take disciples, don't feed the animals... until a bit later, ok?

Btw, not everyone's in the downturn with you right now, some are doing better than average. It's just a few coincidences, and a lot of jumping into conclusions. :) I know, we're all humans, our own experience always seems to fill the whole Universe.

Although, even if u know how it works, doesn't make the hard times any easier. Been there, seen that. Never give up, it'll cahnge, with everything...

And if everything is about making profit, what about the professions that don't give profit? If everyone is just in for the money why care about clothes and coloring/texturizing?

I read your entire post. Quoting this line because it basically summarizes the thought process.

Your argument is semantic. Not that your argument is bad, or wrong. Your questions are appropriate. They're just not referencing what I am talking about.

There are 2 views that run parallel in EU.

View 1) The objective of the game is to beat the system, play for free, and make a profit. This is the nature of the game, its core appeal. It is the core challenge.

View 2) The objective of the player is not necessarily tied to the objective of the game. The player may want to be the best tailor out there. The player may want to have the coolest vehicles. The player may want the most skills. Not one of these requires the player to actually engage the game itself.

In an open ended platform, a Sandbox MMORPG you can actually log into the game and choose not to engage the core objective of the game, instead designing your own experience. You're playing for fun, to be entertained. This choice often times is what actually pays the bills, I would imagine. The actual object of the game becomes ancillary in this particular scenario, not because it doesnt exist, but because the player chooses to ignore it.

Has there been any progress on this at all? Perhaps a puny spawn added on another server or something at least? Is the issue still happening?

Port Atlantis overcrowded

I read a lot of off topic posts on the server being overcrowded. I just want to let people know that BIG Industries has taken the furor down and shut them off on ola 42 and made the 3 land areas with a good selection of lower level mobs (Ambulimax, Atrox, and now Argonauts) the three A's~ Anyhow we are offering daily sweat buy backs at 2.5 ped per 1k per customer and many useful beginner items in trivia prizes, scanners, mining finders, weapons and other fun stuff. I am happy to see over population in the beginner areas with such an in flux of players into the game the economy as a whole will surely benefit. I encourage you all to help the new players if it be with an answer to a question or just a tip on a how to, we all benefit as a community when players will take just a second to help one another.

Cheers,

Salty~

I read a lot of off topic posts on the server being overcrowded. I just want to let people know that BIG Industries has taken the furor down and shut them off on ola 42 and made the 3 land areas with a good selection of lower level mobs (Ambulimax, Atrox, and now Argonauts) the three A's~ Anyhow we are offering daily sweat buy backs at 2.5 ped per 1k per customer and many useful beginner items in trivia prizes, scanners, mining finders, weapons and other fun stuff. I am happy to see over population in the beginner areas with such an in flux of players into the game the economy as a whole will surely benefit. I encourage you all to help the new players if it be with an answer to a question or just a tip on a how to, we all benefit as a community when players will take just a second to help one another.

Cheers,

Salty~

so 42 east is now argos? cool thanks!

so 42 east is now argos? cool thanks!
There was several small argo spawns already... Don't get me wrong, with the sweat packs and all it's a nice initiative, but "Ambulimax, Atrox, and Argonauts" doesn't really solve the problem with lot of new players joining the game and looking for a server with puny spawn, that's not hopelessly overloaded.

Meanwhile, it seems the problem solved itself thou - those newbs who managed to skill up already escaped the overloaded servers or left the game for good, and the influx of new players per day has diminished to a magnitude that current setup can manage. No comment... :ahh:

I would try my next advert campaign AFTER i've actually made it possible to join the game. Or is it too much to ask from MA? :scratch2:

servers too full? :eyecrazy:
Ill have too see this with my own eyes :laugh:

This problem was fixed in the latest content release, the server will now allow more players logged on at the same time.

pic or it never happened

This problem was fixed in the latest content release, the server will now allow more players logged on at the same time.
Let me assure you it wasn't "fixed" enough.

I've visited the PA server just a few hours ago, and with no more than at most 2 GD's on radar I have had client crashes. Repeatedly. Crashes I don't have on any other server. I was polite enough to send you the crashlogs you request when I try to start the client again.

Seriously - you shouldn't try to bullshit professionals when you're amateurs. You don't even have (yet, by proof) a testing environment where you can add more than a handful of avatars to a fictive server to crash like this in house! If that's not the definition of "noobishness" I don't know what is.

Seriously - you shouldn't try to bullshit professionals when you're amateurs. You don't even have (yet, by proof) a testing environment where you can add more than a handful of avatars to a fictive server to crash like this in house! If that's not the definition of "noobishness" I don't know what is.

I'd take these amateurs over any other mmorpg. 10 fkn years alive and still breathing. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

I have mentioned this before - there is an alternative puny mob spawn at fort isis which is not a long way from camp icarus. May proove awkward to get to for new players as no access from above and largee mobs around the ground area access. But their is the oppourtunity for any player with a flying vehicle or even a valk to get there.

It would be a bit hairy and you may die - but then the game is not meant to be easy - its all part of the fun and once you have the tp once you can go back and forth at will. I admit the puny spawn is mixed with low level combibo but it would be ideal for players a few week old who maybe have basic armour

it would be ideal for players a few week old who maybe have basic armour

maybe if basic armor even DROPPED on this friggin planet anymore...

I've visited the PA server just a few hours ago, and with no more than at most 2 GD's on radar I have had client crashes. Repeatedly. Crashes I don't have on any other server. I was polite enough to send you the crashlogs you request when I try to start the client again.

A client crash has absolutely nothing to do with an overcrowded server. Take that from an IT professional with 20 years experience and not just some $15 an hour tech sitting in some dungeon thinking they know all, or less.

Dont pull the professional card if you arent one. You obviously are not.

for players a few week old who maybe have basic armour
maybe if basic armor even DROPPED on this friggin planet anymore...
Maybe a 2 weeks old player with his basic evade shouldn't use armor until he graduate and get his adj.pixie or even for much longer, because he won't like the repair bills.

I even believe that the very need for armor on any level is a sign that you're hunting above your level. It's ok if you know what you're doing and what to expect, but hardly a new player have a clue, all he want is to "kick that huge ass and hit big". But if he already knows that the bigger asses he want to kick the bigger the bankroll he must have to [try to] cover his expenses, and is still ok with it, then it shouldn't be a problem for him to buy some armor, because these few dozens peds of a one-time expense will be tiny compared to what awaits for him :)

A client crash has absolutely nothing to do with an overcrowded server.

If overloading a server causes the server to send out inconsistent data to the client (for instance, at a point the server needs to reate an array of data to send to client but the memory allocation for the array fails and the program on server doesn't check for null pointers so either this array or data intended for another process gets overwritten with garbage), *and* the client blindly accepts the data it gets from server (assuming it's consistent), then I would assume an error on server (in this case too little memory but it could also be because of other reasons) could crash the client.

Or let's say there are alot of people on radar. So many that client has'nt gotten them all yet. One avatar dies and gets sent out of radar range and server tells "remove player xxx from memory". Client locates avatar xxx at memory location <NULL> and does a Free() call. Yup. Crash. (Not about overload of server or error at server, but rather that the way the client treats calls from server as if it's completely synced even during crowded or laggy conditions).
Let's make the easy thing, server first counts the number of avatars in radar range and then sends their properties. During the count, the server fails to allocate temporary space to do the count normally, the functin detects an anomaly and returns "0" or possibly "1" (=the calling avatar himself). Then the procedure that pumps over the data just reads through memory and is able to send the data for all 172 people. And now client reads 1 avatar in the area. Fine, let's allocate memory space for one record. Now server sends first record of avatar data. Let's put it in first cell. Server sends data for second avatar. Client puts it, hm, memory protection error exception. Let's abend.

It could be bad coding (neglecting to check return values from system calls from null pointers or when accepting data from an external source), or it can be a deliberate choice not to check data that would be correct under normal operating circumstances to not degrade performance.

Last edited:
A client crash has absolutely nothing to do with an overcrowded server.
The only one to know this for a fact in this case would be someone working for MindArk (or Illunova), having performed code-review on the client code to such an extent that it's mathematically proofed your claim is correct, and trusting that review.

I don't think 2 decades experience is required to realize the absurdity of such a suggestion.

Take that from an IT professional with 20 years experience and not just some $15 an hour tech sitting in some dungeon thinking they know all, or less.
Then I have seniority, as a software developer. I'd like to think I know a thing or two about software systems - knowledge and experience making it possible for me to speak with some authority on the subject.

Your display of arrogance, and need to try to discredit, suggests you may not be as professional as you'd like to think you are, and that you clearly do not possess the required skills.

Still, congratulations on 2 decades in the business, and (unless I read too much into that statement) earning more than $15/hour!

Dont pull the professional card if you arent one.
Well spoken.

Still, congratulations on 2 decades in the business, and (unless I read too much into that statement) earning more than $15/hour!

Someone working a support dungeon earning $15/hour could be having Microsoft professional diplomas, have access to deep technical knowledge bases and 2nd/3rd line support, be programming his own Linux server on his spare time and hang around on tech forums, while someone who earns $150/hour could be an enterprise consultant/key account manager, or a great project leader who is very good at gathering the right people, making realistic time schedules and sell in new projects to new clients - but just knows enough about the technical stuff that he knows which employee to connect the client to who needs answers to some tricky technical question that isn't directly related to project management.

I kindly request that this thread is kept on-topic.

[removed system-created double-post]

Potentially, and vague, correction:

Today, just now, I have spent a few hours at Icarus. Whether it's related to less avatars here, or non-presence of avatars with "buggy" armor (you know what I'm talking about), I've had a few hours uptime here - with many GD's on radar.

So maybe, just maybe, you have indeed improved the server. I still stand by my original statement for that area and that time.

Maybe everyone who can't log in or keeps crashing should list their computer specs, internet speed and location. I live in the USA on the East Coast and I have never had a problem logging into the game. I did crash 2 times on around my second day and have not crashed since. Been playing all the time. I use 100mbps internet speed though.

Space Port Athena

Yes I think a new space entry location would probably be a good move.
Perhaps one of the space port/hanger locations?
Or perhaps randomly between all of them?

Since Years now we have the wonderful and totally empty Spaceport Athena ... why not filling it with life and use it like a real spaceport? a almost empty Server will thank you so much to get stopped from idling around :)

and btw... where is the plan that the starfinders and pathfinder can land? why do we Need the mighty Hangars everywhere around which are not used ? every bit of graphic is needed ....

Status
Back