Skate's Diary

Day Four.

Woke up about 10am and wasnt feeling too shitty from the drinking i did last night. Was very misty out but didnt take me long to make a cup of tea and get back out on the lake.

The day started surprisingly well as i got two early bites from the fish but thats about it lol. Yet again the day started to become dissappointing as only a few bites and still no fish caught.

During the afternoon i met with Matt and Dave for abit and they were saying how they couldnt believe how shit it was as they were getting less bites and knocks than me.

Decided to go back to the Intermarche this afternoon, cos we were gonna go tomo but were told it would shut. Apparently the 1st Nov is a sort of bank holiday over in france. So tomo i will have my first ever bank holiday thursday in my life lol. Why the hell you would have a bank holiday on the 1st Nov i have no idea, but im coming to the conclusion the french are very weird.

Had pizza again tonight for dinner, but before i could tuck into a slice i managed to dump it on the floor. Somehow it just slipped oof my plate. Dan instanylu burst into laughter and i just got in a slight mood for abit. That didnt stop me from eating it tho, as i quickly picked it up, ate it all and started to drink more beer. Now im going back out to fish and stare at a lake for prob the next 6 hours or so and not catch a fucking thing.

Didnt catch anything lol but drank more beer then stumbled to bed.

Day Five.

Starting to get pissed off now as still havent caught a fucking thing. only positive i can take from it tho is that no-one else has caught anything still either. Kinda thinking this was a waste of time in parts although i have had some good laughs and at least i havent had to work at all, but i came here hoping to catch some fish and thats the only thing i cant do. Even in this cold weather i cant catch a cold lol so something gotta be wrong, right?

Decided to try some worms as bait today, as back home, noe of the lakes we fish on, the fish loves the worms. So with this idea i managed to get a spade of Dave and started digging behind the lodge. Managed to findquite a few in a small space of yime, however they dont seem to be working either. The fish are just not interested in anything i try and give them :(

Kind of debating whether to go home a day early and leave tomo instead of sat morning but we will see. Theres only so much sitting by a alke for over 15 hours a day and just wait for nothing i can take.

Would def like to come here again tho i think, but in the warmer months, maybe around May or June sometime, wen the fish are hopefully more active, as its a nice place to fish and i know there are lots of decent sized fise in here just waiting to be caught.

Also i like the idea of maybe one day owing my own lake like this possibly around the same area or something similar, but preferably abroad anyway and in france. Wouldnt want one back home as it seems more appealig and attractive to be able to wake up on a nice sunny morning and just stare out across your own 10 acre lake and then just start fishing whenever you wanted. Sounds close to heaven if you ask me.

Dan cooked dinner again as i've cooked most of the breakfast actually all the breakfasts, so therefore dan has cooked nearly all the evening meals. Had creamy mushroom chicken tonight or something with pasta, altho dan cooked abit too much pasta, i still managed to eat the majority of it.

Lots of activity in the night on the lake after dinner, but still no luck with catching anything. Thought tonight was gonna be a good night as Matt and Dave both had a good feeling too that someone was gonna catch something hopefully at long last.

Ended up fishing till about 3am in the end which makes day five a long day of approx 18 hours fishing without catching a single thing. had a decent bite tho during the night as my bite alarm went off and there was no bait on the end of my line when i reeled it in. Just doesnt seem to be any luck on this lake this week, and looks like it has the potential to be the shittest week of the year for the lake.

Day Six.

Decided not to go home today as im determined to catch a fish, so thats what im going to try and do.

Woke up bout 9.30am, made me and dan a cup of tea, then made breakfast. Breakfast was the usual, bacon, eggs and sausages, which may have been lamb or we came to the possibility they may be donkey, cos they deff dont taste like pork thats for sure.

After breakfast, went back out to the lake hoping that today would finally be the day i catch a fish.

Its now approx 9pm and im about to have dinner and still caught nothing. Dan has cooked again tonight. We are having turkey (dinde) fingers, chipe s and beans. As im writing this, dan is convinced he has lost his passport and is searching high and low for it. I told him not to wory tho as i didnt have my passport checked once when we came over, nor asked for any id what soever. So i was successfully smuggled into france by dan without any hiccups at all.

He just commented saying ' i guess your now writing about this', so i told him yes lol.

The twat has now found his passport in the car, but it only took him 15mins and 2 trips to the car to look for it and find it. Now we can finally get back to not catching nay fish like the past 5 nights.

Your be pleased to know i didnt catch anything last night. Think i gave up about 1 or 2 am and then called it quits and went to bed. Gotta be out the lodge by 10am i think so i set the alarm for 8am so gives enough time to pack evrything up.

Anyhoo, night.

Day Seven.

Home time. its about 9am as i write this and packing is going well. Just about to have a cup of tea and then basically tidy up etc.

All in all the trip/holiday has been a mixed adventure. The time away has been relaxing and non-strenous, however not catching a single fish has been at times annoying and frustrating.

better get back to packing, as i then got a 2-3 hour drive back to calais, hopefully a quick detour via citie europe then on to the ferry for 2.55pm where just maybe i will get my passport checked lol.

Kinda took a wrong turn on the way home and added about 20mins on to the journey upto calais. On our little misadventure tho we drove past a well weird accident. Directly after a roundabout there was a car trhat had driven about 20feet up an embankment. it was well funny tho and i prob should have taken a photo but the gay looking policemen may have tried to talk to me in french lol. Now that would have been a funny experience. That reminds me actually of seeing another accident on the way to the lake in france. At another roundabout, someone had managed to take out a set of traffic lights on the roundabout. Seems to me french ppl are shit drivers.

Ended up getting to calais at 1.45pm and managed to get an earlier crossing. On the way we stopped off to get some diesel but Dan couldnt work out how to use the pump ate the petrol station. Twat. Got home bout 4pm in the end i think.

All in all it was a good holiday, as the time away was fantastic and very relaxing, but on the other hand was annoying and frustrating. But like i said i would go again as im determined to catch a fish there after going a whole week with catching fuck all. Oh and no one else caught anything all week either, so we were all abit pissed off with that.

That just about wraps up my adventure this autumn in france, hope it was as exahilarating reading it as it was for me writing and living it lol.

Skate...

Pics from my time in France.​

*Breakfast on the ferry, other lake, other lake, the lodge, rods, main lake, main lake, other lake

Last edited:

*inside lodge, main lake, main lake, main lake, central heating, main lake, main lake, other lake​

Last edited:

*main lake, rods, breakfast, main lake rainbow, main lake, set up on swim, looking to lodge, view from rod​

Last edited:
Back