Skill Scanner

what I found is that if ANY skill started with the number 7 (IE 759.46) the 7 would always be omitted so it was read as 59.46

the other common problem is if the number ended with a 0 (IE 4570.58) it showed up as 457.58.

is this a known bug or do I have issues some how on my end.
(...)
anyway have the data and screeies if you need them to see what I am talking about.

Edit: gah had ver 12 got 13 noiw will try that when I logg in.

yeah, please, make sure to test with latest version. as avery points out, it is better to run EU in 32-bit color, and it is also recommended to set a medium gamma (or, at least, not too extreme).

if you keep getting parsing errors, send me the screens in BMP format, please (jdegre@gmail.com); usually the fix doesn't take me more than 5 minutes, but i _need_ the faulty screens.

Hmm.. for me the scanner doesnt work at all.. Starts fine, but when I press alt+prnt scr(running in windowed mode), it just writes word "data" to the log textbox and nothing else happens. JRE 6 update 6 is installed(on winxp sp2) and the scanner is latest.

Hmm.. for me the scanner doesnt work at all.. Starts fine, but when I press alt+prnt scr(running in windowed mode), it just writes word "data" to the log textbox and nothing else happens. JRE 6 update 6 is installed(on winxp sp2) and the scanner is latest.

You don't have to press Alt+prnt scn, i run in windowed mode and have always just pressed prnt scn on it's own. Give it a go like that.

Cheers
O.

You don't have to press Alt+prnt scn, i run in windowed mode and have always just pressed prnt scn on it's own. Give it a go like that.

Cheers
O.

Tried that as well, but still the same.. it doesn't start to scan. :scratch2:

Tried that as well, but still the same.. it doesn't start to scan. :scratch2:

do you get any message after "Data!" ?
you should get something, even if it does not scan the skills properly; something like "Nothing found!".

in any case, could you send me one of your screens (in BMP or PNG) to check in my test PC?

@octo: you can press PrntScrn in windowed mode, that's correct, but i'd recommend pressing Alt+PrntScrn to capture only the active window. it should be much faster processing each screen.

First of all, big thanks for fixing Skill Scanner Jdegre!

I have tested version 0.13 in window mode, everything was captured flawlessly :wtg:

Maybe a silly question, but you do have the skill screen open, right?

and (kind of obvious too) in non-translucent mode.

the old skill window was mildly translucent when non-focused, so the scanner could work with or without focus on it.

but this one is extremely translucent, so it is impossible to OCR it, unless you focus on it and make it opaque.

Yes it was open and non-translucent. ;)
Anyway, it is ok now.. the problem wasn't in the scanner, I reinstalled java and it works now :)
Thanks for the great tool:)

do you get any message after "Data!" ?
you should get something, even if it does not scan the skills properly; something like "Nothing found!".

in any case, could you send me one of your screens (in BMP or PNG) to check in my test PC?

@octo: you can press PrntScrn in windowed mode, that's correct, but i'd recommend pressing Alt+PrntScrn to capture only the active window. it should be much faster processing each screen.

I use windowed mode and when I press just Print Screen on my computer it captures only the active window.

Oh right I hadn't thought of that, but it doesn't take too long as it is. :)

Yes it was open and non-translucent. ;)
Anyway, it is ok now.. the problem wasn't in the scanner, I reinstalled java and it works now :)
Thanks for the great tool:)

Cheers for letting us know, maybe handy for someone else.

I use windowed mode and when I press just Print Screen on my computer it captures only the active window.

hmmm, are you sure about that? that's really strange.
in my system (winXP), <PrntScrn> puts in the clipboard the whole desktop, and <Alt>+<PrntScrn> puts in the clipboard only the active window. and i'd swear it is like that in all systems, but maybe not... :scratch2:

hmmm, are you sure about that? that's really strange.
in my system (winXP), <PrntScrn> puts in the clipboard the whole desktop, and <Alt>+<PrntScrn> puts in the clipboard only the active window. and i'd swear it is like that in all systems, but maybe not... :scratch2:

Oops, I was wrong. So many mistakes lately, I think I'm losing my marbles. :(

v0.14

just released version 0.14, which includes support for some high level unlockable skills.

(many thanks to those that sent screenies with the bitmaps for these skills).

just released version 0.14, which includes support for some high level unlockable skills.

(many thanks to those that sent screenies with the bitmaps for these skills).

Any options for disabling volume lookup yet? :D

I'm in the process of collecting your bounty.

Any options for disabling volume lookup yet? :D

not yet; but i did not forget it either... i'm still thinking about what's the best way to implement it.

for those curious about this, doer proposed some time ago the possibility to disable the calculation of skill TT value and market price after each screenshot, and have the possibility to request it manually, once all screens have been parsed.

probably, i'll include this feature in a future version, but i'd like to hear what other people think about this.

personally, i really haven't noticed any slowdowns or delays for the extra server query involved in this calcs, but probably others have.

btw, my server (jdegre.net) is hosted in USA, so i should notice more delays than people living there... :silly2:

not yet; but i did not forget it either... i'm still thinking about what's the best way to implement it.

for those curious about this, doer proposed some time ago the possibility to disable the calculation of skill TT value and market price after each screenshot, and have the possibility to request it manually, once all screens have been parsed.

probably, i'll include this feature in a future version, but i'd like to hear what other people think about this.

personally, i really haven't noticed any slowdowns or delays for the extra server query involved in this calcs, but probably others have.

btw, my server (jdegre.net) is hosted in USA, so i should notice more delays than people living there... :silly2:

If it's the speed that's a concern, it's plenty fast enough for me...

I wait 5s for the confirmation sound and skill to be calced... so a complete scan takes barely a minute... this is too long for some people? Or maybe there is some weird path lag in certain areas (haven't tracert-ed the skills server, but EU is 14 hops)

I wait 5s for the confirmation sound and skill to be calced... so a complete scan takes barely a minute... this is too long for some people? Or maybe there is some weird path lag in certain areas (haven't tracert-ed the skills server, but EU is 14 hops)

Well, i guess i got used to NRF. The speed improvements a couple versions ago cut down the delay noticeably, but i still get itchy fingers with an extra couple of pages to parse now.

The point is, if the volume and markup info isn't going to be used (in some cases), why pause to request it after every single scan?

Isn't pretty much everything on the internet within 14 hops? :p
(Unless you live in china or some other "we control everything" state, had rarely any routes with more than 20 hops)

On topic: I suggested something like a bulk read after scanning a while ago already, so yes, give us mere users at least the option to disable it! ;)
(I do the calculations on jdegre.net anyway)
Or well, why not read them all at start, or is the market value calculation done server side, because of the TT value <-> skill points formula?

Umm, or what about starting new threads to perform the necessary downloads, to not have it block the OCR?
(at least i guess that it's done by a blocking I/O call atm, which causes additional delay)

Last edited:

I think it would be a very nice option to do the calculations manually after.

IMHO Most ppl use your tool to see the skill increment and not so much the TT value of that increment :)

Keep up the good work Jdegre! :cool:

I think is important to know the TT... for me the skill increment is not as important as the TT in order to make a guess of the value gained after hunt in skills. But that can be done on optimizer so is okay...

I think is important to know the TT... for me the skill increment is not as important as the TT in order to make a guess of the value gained after hunt in skills. But that can be done on optimizer so is okay...

OMG all you Ubers...... :rolleyes:

J/K .. i know TT is important! :)

Just saying, ( at least at my levels and most ppl are at my levels i think ) that Skill progress is what we use the tool for mainly ;)

v0.15

fixes some problems reported by people, related to the way some displays render the skill window.
it should not affect many people, but it is always a good practice to be updated with the last version.

/jdegre.

.14 worked great for me night before last, but I'll get .15 just to be sure.

You ROCK jdegre! Thanks for saving me time so I can spend a little more time ingame.

+REP, + 50 PEDs bounty (coming to you via Doer if he hasn't already presented you the bounty) and at a little something more to come via Paypal next pay day! (Sorry, it won't be enough to retire on. :) )

fixes some problems reported by people, related to the way some displays render the skill window.
it should not affect many people, but it is always a good practice to be updated with the last version.

/jdegre.

Another + 1000 EFD now for the continued work and contribution to the community.

+500 PED ingame next year once the CE2 implementation is completed by MindArk and skill scanner is working with the new system. ;)

~ Sparkz

question is there anyway to could put a link on your site between the chipper and scanner portions of the site?

EDIT:

OH NOES!!!

scanner not working for me ....

in the log of text on the scanner is shows all skills but doesnt allow for the next shot to be processed ...

Skill Scanner V0.15 (04-Jun-2008)
Checking latest version...
Ok!
Loading resources...
Done!
Data!
Skills window found at [482,296] (100%)
Gamma: 34
Parsing skill names: .......
Parsing skill values: .......
Agility: 51.29
Aim: 2923.91
Alertness: 1042.22
Analysis: 323.54
Anatomy: 4566.30
Animal Lore: 293.85
Animal Taming: 204.62
Processing time: 8.906 secs.

there is no Done! at the end that readys the scanner for the next shot... i know this as i made several attempts to test it ... windowed full screen diff positions of skill screen and so on ... jdegre if you want screens i have them as PEass was running too and caught the screens... just tell me where to send them and what format you prefer ... jpg/png/bmp and in zip/rar

Last edited:
question is there anyway to could put a link on your site between the chipper and scanner portions of the site?

EDIT:

OH NOES!!!

scanner not working for me ....

in the log of text on the scanner is shows all skills but doesnt allow for the next shot to be processed ...

Skill Scanner V0.15 (04-Jun-2008)
Checking latest version...
Ok!
Loading resources...
Done!
Data!
Skills window found at [482,296] (100%)
Gamma: 34
Parsing skill names: .......
Parsing skill values: .......
Agility: 51.29
Aim: 2923.91
Alertness: 1042.22
Analysis: 323.54
Anatomy: 4566.30
Animal Lore: 293.85
Animal Taming: 204.62
Processing time: 8.906 secs.

there is no Done! at the end that readys the scanner for the next shot... i know this as i made several attempts to test it ... windowed full screen diff positions of skill screen and so on ... jdegre if you want screens i have them as PEass was running too and caught the screens... just tell me where to send them and what format you prefer ... jpg/png/bmp and in zip/rar

from the log text, i don't think it has to do with the screens, since they seem to be processed ok. after the last text you got, you should see:

Requesting skill values from <jdegre.net>...
Done!

which is when the TT value, market value and profession levels are calculated server side.
so, it looks to me that it might have been a transient server-side problem (with the database or whatever).

in any case, if you want to send the screens, that's always useful. take screens in BMP or PNG, zip them, and send them to jdegre@gmail.com, please.

Eron, sometimes the scanner gets stuck and won't parse more than one page before it gives up. It seems to happen most often when i have been running autoscreen, but i'm not sure if it's connected. A reboot fixes the problem for me.

I have similar problems at times when I run the scanner and EU in parallel. A very simple workaround is to take screenies in EU, close EU and then simply open the skill scanner and your favorite picture viewer to show the screenies taken. As you copy them to the clipboard, the scanner does the work very nicely.
I have the feeling that the communication between the scanner and jdegre.net is somehow impaired by EU as it hangs when the scanner tries to get data... for me it always eventually came through, but once I waited about 10 min. As I am not the most patient person, I took the workaround ;)

Back