SPACE, the map

Yes I have the same 'bug'
No need to but bug in quotes. It's a bug allright. They messed up a mip level for that tile.

The reason I wanted to see if anyone else experienced it was just to see if MA had destroyed the data themselves with their buggy "update" (that seemingly intentionally always destroys data - I'm starting to wonder whether they even recalc the CRC-32 for updated files) or if it was a global bug.

Perhaps this wil encourage me to get off my ass and finish my 3D locations I was doing...
Seems like the same problem I have at times. :)

Sweet view, Sash. Do you pull the geometry (or heightmap) also from the packaged data, or just the map textures?

Seems like the same problem I have at times. :)

Sweet view, Sash. Do you pull the geometry (or heightmap) also from the packaged data, or just the map textures?

if I had a height map I could add that data to it, but I don't lol

I was just playing around with it, it uses all the same data as my current locations map ;)

3D data would be really nice, as our Space is actually quite thick. It runs from -4.1 to 4.1 AU, so 8.2 AU total (or whatever unit there is). By comparison it is about 25 AU by 40 AU in the X and Y coordinates. And stuff is definitely not all on the same plane. It varies quite a bit. Pirate Base is around -0.8 to -0.9 level, the Neutral Space Station I passed on the way between Arkadia and the Pirate Base was down around -2.4 level. Other stations/planets I visited were scattered along the Z-coord range.

It is quite easy to fly "over" or "under" a safe zone surrounding a space station without entering it. Safe zones seem to be a sphere with roughly a 1.0-1.5 AU radius.

I'll try to start keep more accurate coordinate positions and post them if someone is going to collect data and work on a 3D map.

And no, the map is not drawn to scale as far as the planets are concerned. Space is pretty big. Yes, if you consider a VTOLS travel speed on planet and how long it takes the same vehicle to travel from planet to planet in space stuff is unrealistic. Let's just pretend that they get some kind of multiplier factor when they travel through space...I mean really, do you want a system where it takes weeks or months to travel between planets? How else would you suggest they implement this without requiring all new vehicles. I think it's great that VTOL owners have a way to travel through space without requiring a lot more investment.

Okay, if someone wants 3D coordinates, PM me and I'll help collect data. But I won't be going back out until they fix the Welding Wire lootable nerf, so might not be until next week (I hope)...

Mack

P.S. AU that you get when you use waypoints to measure distance seem to correlate to 1K of whatever unit is used by the map coordinate system. At least that's the way I interpret it. Coordinate difference on map between two points is 16000, it shows up as 16.0 AU when you set a waypoint.

Last edited:
Is the pirate base any diffrent from the other ones? Does it have an auction?

Is the pirate base any diffrent from the other ones? Does it have an auction?

I only saw Trade, Repair and Society terminals there. Also had a teleporter which had no destinations listed, like on the Neutral Space Stations. I assume there is a revival point there as well, but didn't notice it. Definitely didn't see any auction or storage, same as all other stations.

Perhaps this wil encourage me to get off my ass and finish my 3D locations I was doing...

Sasha

Need help ?

P.S. AU that you get when you use waypoints to measure distance seem to correlate to 1K of whatever unit is used by the map coordinate system. At least that's the way I interpret it. Coordinate difference on map between two points is 16000, it shows up as 16.0 AU when you set a waypoint.

16 AU would mean the same star system

Some data for comparison:

Sun-Earth = 1 AU
Sun-Mars = 1.5 AU
Sun-Jupiter = 5 AU
Sun-Uranus (not mine) = 19 AU

You looked up all the data just to make that joke, didn't you?

Nah, I was looking for something about 15 AU in distance for comparison, but the closest thing I could find to that was Uranus.

I really was trying to be helpful and now I'm fighting to keep from laughing.

16 AU would mean the same star system

I thought all the planets were in the same star system, according to the general storyline.

Great work on the map, Razer! It'll be interesting to see where the other planets get placed into the system.

And I'm wondering about the warp drive upgrade. Is it possible that this is the "first phase" map, and that once the warp drive ability is enabled, they're going to crank up the distances so that it takes a lot longer to travel if you aren't in warp mode?

I thought all the planets were in the same star system, according to the general storyline.

The new planet names do not match the "historical records" for the Omega 16 Reticulum star system.

The new planet names do not match the "historical records" for the Omega 16 Reticulum star system.

Necessary creative license, IMHO.

Telling Planet Partners what their new planet name would be would most likely be a poor way to encourage participation and creative efforts.

Necessary creative license, IMHO.

Telling Planet Partners what their new planet name would be would most likely be a poor way to encourage participation and creative efforts.

For the system as implemented, I agree. I would have gone with a Babylon 5 type system with jump rails (Remember the jump rails in the old Calypso storyline? I do.) for interplanetary travel combined with large enough ships being able to create their own jump point for their own mass plus some smaller auxillary vessels in tight formation.

What is called a thruster in the current system could be a jump rail adapter for smaller ships, a jump point generator, computer, powerplant, whatever in the big ships.

Orbital space would fall within the operating space of each planet partner. Jumps could be limited to a certain number of parsecs, adding the neutral space stations as intermediary points on the space lanes where MA themselves could pull in some space decay without Calypso.

The jump could have some uncertainty built into the game mechanics, somewhat randomizing the re-entry to normal space either within or outside PVP zones. Crews would have to be prepared for anything when coming out of a jump.

I believe the only thing that would be changed in the economical balance of the game by this implementation would be that pilots could have two revenue opportunities: local flights from ground to system stations, and those equipped for jumps could ply the interstellar lanes with passengers and cargo.

For the system as implemented, I agree. I would have gone with a Babylon 5 type system with jump rails (Remember the jump rails in the old Calypso storyline? I do.) for interplanetary travel combined with large enough ships being able to create their own jump point for their own mass plus some smaller auxillary vessels in tight formation.

What is called a thruster in the current system could be a jump rail adapter for smaller ships, a jump point generator, computer, powerplant, whatever in the big ships.

Orbital space would fall within the operating space of each planet partner. Jumps could be limited to a certain number of parsecs, adding the neutral space stations as intermediary points on the space lanes where MA themselves could pull in some space decay without Calypso.

The jump could have some uncertainty built into the game mechanics, somewhat randomizing the re-entry to normal space either within or outside PVP zones. Crews would have to be prepared for anything when coming out of a jump.

I believe the only thing that would be changed in the economical balance of the game by this implementation would be that pilots could have two revenue opportunities: local flights from ground to system stations, and those equipped for jumps could ply the interstellar lanes with passengers and cargo.

I like a lot of these ideas. I was a big fan of the old Privateer game from Origin and the Wing Commander series, where you had to navigate from place to place using a series of "jump points". But you're right, it certainly does open up some strategic events, such as pirates camping out the jump gate on the other side, etc.

I do wonder about their plans for expansion in the future. Could be amazingly cool in a year or two, as if it isn't cool already.

I too am a fan of this system. Jump rails for smaller ships (Sleipnir/Quad-Wing) where as the Motherships and <insert name of hanger owner ships here> get to use a Jump field generator (and are actually prohibited from using the Jump rails). Jump rails would always land in roughly the same spot (within a few KM of the target rail) and always within safe space. The larger ships actually get a teleport chip-like map where they just get to set the point they want to land on and end up within so much distance of it (hundreds/thousands of KM off, based on your piloting skills).

To address all of the PVPers that are looking forward to wrecking everyone's day as they slowboat through space to another planet, you just need a reason to get people out into the PVP parts. Without incentive there isnt much reason to go out there. As soon as people have a way to profit from the risk, you'll see people flocking to space in droves. Space mining for some new rare minerals/enmats that can only be obtained in space and are used to make powerful space weapons and ships. Space hunting could involve robot ships or hostile aliens that drop something that makes the risk worth it.

Long story short is the reward needs to be worth the risk. Without that and space will be as dead as Rocktropia.

EDIT: @ Kuber: I loved Privateer (and the expansion, Righteous Fire) when I was a kid. I recently played through them again and the game is soooo much easier when you're not 7 years old lol.

Space map needs an update.. (Re survey.)

Okay now I know that this thread has been o outdated by about 9 months or a year, but since that time, space has changed with the addition of Cyrene, and I was wondering if anyone here was going to do an update to the map so taht it reflest the current status..

Also one if not two fo the sectors of the map are now totally incorrect..

So if we could get an update on that it would be fine..

Please and thank you..

Benjamin Ben Coyote
a.k.a "The Blind Sniper":cool:

Back