Where to find the Entropia Universe Planet Development Kit software?

If u want a variation from what EU is today you would have to code all the systems, Monster AI, Action-Reaction things, item properties animations and so on and so on ... basing on the engine of course.

to give you an example ... what happens when the player pulls the trigger ... how are his skills interpreted do you want to implement different damages basing at the area the person is aiming at ... like instant kill on headshot ... i dont think MA would impose any of their hunting mechanisms on to planet partners ... can u for example pick up a rock and use that as a weapon or at least smaller mob repelant :p ?

A lot of coding would be involved imho.

I dont think you will need to code AI , or most normal action.You may have to code if you want a total separate system from normal game...
But still create a whole planettte is lots of work.. need design tree , building , grass , mobs , rocks,new weapon,clothe , armor and so on...
Basicaly , i think the coding part is provided by MA , so , they can assure the balance of the whole system.If you want create new kind of weapon with new skill , you will do as told by balancing manager...And your new skill will work like other normal...Your new weapon will follow som formulla provided by MA , and depending on its power , and number of player , balancing manager will set drop rate.
If the planet is linked to calypso for sure it will follow calypso rule...Dont dream , we will not see som crazy planette owner droping mod fap like adrenal oil..

I dont think you will need to code AI , or most normal action.You may have to code if you want a total separate system from normal game...
But still create a whole planettte is lots of work.. need design tree , building , grass , mobs , rocks,new weapon,clothe , armor and so on...
Basicaly , i think the coding part is provided by MA , so , they can assure the balance of the whole system.If you want create new kind of weapon with new skill , you will do as told by balancing manager...And your new skill will work like other normal...Your new weapon will follow som formulla provided by MA , and depending on its power , and number of player , balancing manager will set drop rate.
If the planet is linked to calypso for sure it will follow calypso rule...Dont dream , we will not see som crazy planette owner droping mod fap like adrenal oil..

That is IF the planet is linked to calypso.. the items and "additional skills" could have no use on the old planet ... of course monster loot would be balanced by MA ... but gameplay I hope would be customizable ...

I played Crysis and Crysis Warhead recently ... and picking up half of a fallen tree and tossing it at the enemy ... my god ... :D :D

--- edit ---
and i hope i would get to code AI ... coz right now its only an A without the I :p mobs just run at you ... they dont flock they ont cooporate if u are killing of a guardian mob other guardions dont come to help him and the other mob start fleeing ...

there is none AI atm imho ... the monster just runs at you if u shoot it :p

wouldnt it be cool to have moshters hide in the trees of a forset and try to ambush you ? wouldnt it be more fun hehehe

and i hope i would get to code AI ... coz right now its only an A without the I :p mobs just run at you ... they dont flock they ont cooporate if u are killing of a guardian mob other guardions dont come to help him and the other mob start fleeing ...

there is none AI atm imho ... the monster just runs at you if u shoot it :p

wouldnt it be cool to have moshters hide in the trees of a forset and try to ambush you ? wouldnt it be more fun hehehe

I think you will have som choise , like 5 kind of AI and you can say wich one your mobs choise...
But i dont think MA will let partner code their own AI...This can create way to much problem...
Point is to buy a game that work for partner , not to put hand in code...I remember som MA experience on AI ... it can create very very big problem...

Also i am prety sure even planet not linked to calypso will have to follow som rulle set by MA manager...

MA is here to make money , not to let ramdom joe play to make a shit useless world...
I guess SL can give good exemple of the best and the worst ...

Big question is... would you be considered "working for ma" and would you have to give up your avatar like all MA employees?

and how will ma hide how the game insides work so people don't exploit / !!!! the system?

other wise.. Look for Planet KUPO

Big question is... would you be considered "working for ma" and would you have to give up your avatar like all MA employees?

and how will ma hide how the game insides work so people don't exploit / !!!! the system?

other wise.. Look for Planet KUPO

Good question about the avatar... my belief would be no, you get to keep it because you are a separate entity from MA. I base this on the following other belief: that you're using a development kit to create a new environment, but the game mechanics will be basically the same. If the game economy is to be the same across all planets in the universe (and this has been repeated multiple times) then the core elements of the system must remain the same. MA is retaining control over the economic portion of the system, and likely keep it a closely guarded secret. Like the First Planet company, other partner planets will be responsible for environments, stories and events.

Im a programmer I can code almost all languages including C++ or C# with DirectX :) im IN !!

Ill supply music ;D. Or do some spokesman stuff. Whatever :).

In any case it will be very nice have that software at home......... just to skill with it :) Until we have not it in our hands i think nobody of us can think to create a new planet without be a huge company.

I think the tools will be a modified Crysis Sandbox2 what are viable at the Crysis game software CD.

HAVEADEPOSIT!

I dont think its about money , but about potantial player you can bring...
I am sure if you come with good idea , som nice plan of developement , and a little team to start work on your project you may get a planet.

Never forget that many many of the top game in game history , was only a bunch of friend that did bielive in they idea and make it come true, from what i know EU is one of them , but also diablo,GTA just to name very few.
MA would be total blind to not give a chance to som crazy dev team that come with hope but not the big money to back up.

MA dont care who you are , as long as you built the planet and there is player willing to go there.

Also , its proven fact that the "hear say" work 10 time better than the big trumpet PR.

Well, given that lots of us deposit or have in-game income over 1k ped a deposit I'd imagine that we could pool our cash resources and beg for an arrangement detail list to be made to work out what it would cost a player-group to form a group that runs/owns a planet.

I'm in, I'm not up to asking alone, myself just now.

VLight

It's not the problem where and how to get it, it's the problem how much you're willing to pay for it. Maybe, EF community could put 100 PED together everyone, then we may buy our own planet and even receive a development kit. I'm professional amateur graphical artist (means, I have a lot of knowledge, but doesn't work as), anyone else ?

Let's set up a staff for creating our own Planet... Project Entropia !

@Eto: If it wouldn't be MA, i really would believe in your theory, kinda sadly to have to say something like that

There is another game Platform called MULTIVERSE that allows anyone to download and develop a MMORPG game for free. (If I understand the system correctly) Once you are up and running then Multiverse gets a cut of your profits.

I would venture a guess that MA is going the same route. They may be providing their planet development software for free and then charging a fee once your planet is uploading and patched live to Entropia Universe.

Sheer Speculation on my part, but it would make much sense when considering the economics and marketing aspect to getting companies and independent game developers involved in expanding EU.

Dex :cool:

Just found this tidbit: Becoming a Planet Partner:

Becoming a Planet Partner

The Basics

Mindark offers its license-free Entropia Universe Planet Development Kit (EUPDK) to carefully selected corporations wishing to create their own planets within Entropia Universe. The offer is open to organizations around the globe with a strategy for a presence on the 3D web.
The Planet Partner is responsible for Concept Design, creation of the Graphical Content, the Operation and Marketing of the planet.
Upon formal agreement to a Planet Partner Agreement, the latest EUPDK is provided to the Planet Partner as well as access to EUPDK development documentation, manuals, specifications and direct feedback.
The revenue generated on the Partner Planet is shared between Mindark and the planet Partner.
Requirements

Company, corporation or organization with financial stability and ability to provide:
  • concept design
  • graphical development
  • operations
  • marketing
Potential Planet Partners are expected to provide Mindark with:
  • unique exciting concept ideas for the planet(s)
  • a project plan.
  • a budget for the whole project addressing all areas of partner responsibility
  • a marketing plan.

haha yeah of MA will give out panted development kit to everyone xD so all can have their own planet

Interesting thread.. subscribing..

haha yeah of MA will give out panted development kit to everyone xD so all can have their own planet

heheh No it looks like the Development Kit is going to be FREE to those that meet the requirements set-up by MA.

In other words MA is not going to charge for the software but they are going to require you to have a detailed plan on how you will implement your planet and you are going to have to have a marketable web presenece and or Product already established. (If I am reading it correctly that is)

So it looks like MA is shooting for Planets like Planet NIKE or Planet McDONALDS or Planet BMW etc.

I could see even Planets promoting TV shows and OR Movies.

That would be awesome!

Dex :cool:

Apologies for the necro-post. I was wondering about the development kit myself. Perplexed at not finding a link to it on the EU site, I Googled it and ended up here.:D

I've several ideas for a new world (in terms of storyline) myself, and was wondering what development tool would be used in the unlikely event of me having the resourses to do anything about it. That said, I very much expect there will be more to come from Planet Calypso - more continents, storylines and stuff I've not thought of yet.

In many ways, creating a new planet will be like trying to re-invent the wheel, but then if a group of experienced players with imagination, flare and the right skills were to work together then who knows? The wheel went from being made from wood, to being metal, to being alloys, afterall.

I see some of you were talking about development, marketing, etc. Did any of you ever do anything in relation to this? Is it still in the works?

To those that are skeptical about players wanting to build their own world, I wouldn't see it as hoping a new world will see a Mod FAP fall into my lap. Perhaps the reward would be in seeing the acorn of an idea in one's mind developed and realised, and interacted with by many others.

off topic but

DO IT!

a community made planet would be a pretty neat evoloution of the game and so stop talking and DO IT, DO IT NOW!

i would jump in too and help with textures / soundtrack .. perhap s some modeling as well

You guys do know that there is already an Indi Planet project started right?

Planet Postmoderna
http://blog.planet-postmoderna.com/

Still in the early stages, but I know that he is looking for partners/developers/help in any way.

It looks like it could be very interesting, unfortunately I have little skill in that area, and even less time to contribute.

narfi

Thanks for the plug narfi

Thanks for the plug narfi,

Every little bit helps.

Flap

You guys do know that there is already an Indi Planet project started right?

Planet Postmoderna
http://blog.planet-postmoderna.com/

Still in the early stages, but I know that he is looking for partners/developers/help in any way.

It looks like it could be very interesting, unfortunately I have little skill in that area, and even less time to contribute.

narfi

You can get the basic software from the people at Crytech, start your building, then, if you think you got something good, call up MA (I got the # if you'd like), and let David know...

but yeah, you can't get yer hands on the official kit unless you already dropped some dough on the table plus a kick ass idea.

Count me in!

Guys, I am another one who wants to join the team! I am a graphic designer, so I think I can help with marketing and planet promoting ;). I can also write the game history. Please, count me in! :)

Edit: Of course, I can translate it into Spanish!

Old thread, And maybe I'm 15 years to late with some answers, but here gos nothing!.

The EUPDK is basically a slightly modified version of the CryEngine2 Sandbox2, if you put the EUPDK and the base Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2 side by side it would be hard to tell them apart at a glance, the EUPDK has a few modifications mostly based around a Entropia Universe architecture, particularly when it comes to map export features wherein its vastly different to the base Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2. The EUPDK comes shipped with some basic demo levels and all the content from Planet Calypso. Textures, Meshes, Sounds, ect, and software plugins for studio tools like 3ds Max. To my understanding, what I have just described about the EUPDK is all a Planet Partner has access to, they do not have access to MindArks inner sanctum, being the thing everyone seems to be interested in the 11 secret herbs and spices recipe of loot, once a map is modified or completed by a Planet Partner it is exported into MindArks server. The EUPDK on its own is useless, what I mean by that statement is, If you are not a part of a studio of talented, skilled game developers and artists with the soul focus of making your own planet within EU then having access to The EUPDK is pointless, the engine is clearly defined in its functions. My time with the EUPDK was limited, though it was prone to crashing and had some broken features, from what I have heard through the grapevine, such issue have been fixed and the engine is in a better updated state these days, What the MindArk/Crytek technicians did in converting the base Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2 into the EUPDK is really astonishing and then rebuilding and Importing Entropia Universes systems and assets, the sheer amount of hard work, time and effort that went into that process still boggles my mind. My suggestion to anyone thinking, "If I only had access to the EUPDK I could create my own planet", download the base Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2, you can find it packed with Crysis as the engine is nolonger available online from Crytek, Make a few maps, learn to make your own 3d assets, learn to create animations for creature assets ect, learn to code and with this new found knowledge, hopfully it will give you an idea of how much focused hard work, time and effort gos into making a Planet, then ask yourself again, Is having the EUPDK and making a Planet something you really want to do?.

As for my Opinion on the conversion to the Unreal Engine, It is long overdue, I specifically recall when the announcement came that EU was updating to the Cryengine2, I wondered why MindArk had chosen the Cryengine2 and not Unreal Engine3 that was superior in my personal opinion, having made many maps and mods for unreal tournament 99,2004,3 over the years I had a good understanding of what the Unreal Engine was capable of, but, I like most players in EU was excited for the update nevertheless. Geuss what! we have come full circle, and it is totally not a surprise to me that Entropia Universes next home is Unreal Engine5, bravo! MindArk bravo!.

Here is a screenshot of the Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2 vs The EUPDK for those interested, Sandbox2 is on the top, the EUPDK is on the Bottom. Hopefully I shouldn't get into too much trouble shearing the image of the EUPDK as it's just for informative purposes only. 🤞

Last edited:
It's ok Ori, we can possibly still call the response time 'average'. It does, however, revive the whole idea of what is required for any kind of planet partner under UE5.

There is apparently to be much more player content possible in UE5, but presumably restricted in many ways, or signed off individually be MA. Instead of planets as way back in 2006, it could now be instances, similar to the many we now see for events, whether Caly Mayhem environments or on other planets, or ticket entry/mission unlock instances that have also sprung up.
I'd love to see at least basic design opportunities for owned instances in UE5 - maybe that is on the cards.

Mods: I understand if you view this as too much necro, but I have found it interesting to look back and would then welcome the bulk of this text in a new thread if so desired. I guess you'd just lock this and I could start a new one with a link to this old discussion?

It's ok Ori, we can possibly still call the response time 'average'. It does, however, revive the whole idea of what is required for any kind of planet partner under UE5.

There is apparently to be much more player content possible in UE5, but presumably restricted in many ways, or signed off individually be MA. Instead of planets as way back in 2006, it could now be instances, similar to the many we now see for events, whether Caly Mayhem environments or on other planets, or ticket entry/mission unlock instances that have also sprung up.
I'd love to see at least basic design opportunities for owned instances in UE5 - maybe that is on the cards.

Mods: I understand if you view this as too much necro, but I have found it interesting to look back and would then welcome the bulk of this text in a new thread if so desired. I guess you'd just lock this and I could start a new one with a link to this old discussion?
I don't know what MA has planned for player created content under UE5, even if I did have some insider information, And I don't, I would be sworn to secrecy. But given the systems based around the smooth functioning of EU, I would assume it would not be anything too complicated or a type of system that could disrupted the economy, It could be a similar system to what second life has in place for player created content? but I believe even the second life way of doing such things could be a bit to ambusions for EU and probably in hindsight wouldn't work.

I don't know what MA has planned for player created content under UE5, even if I did have some insider information, And I don't, I would be sworn to secrecy. But given the systems based around the smooth functioning of EU, I would assume it would not be anything too complicated or a type of system that could disrupted the economy, It could be a similar system to what second life has in place for player created content? but I believe even the second life way of doing such things could be a bit to ambusions for EU and probably in hindsight wouldn't work.
Though the Unreal Engine5 is super easy to use compared to the Cryenigne2, maybe there will be a set of player tools to create assets and stuff? again like second lifes player created content, but I guess it's easy to speculate harder to know the truth.

Old thread, And maybe I'm 15 years to late with some answers, but here gos nothing!.

The EUPDK is basically a slightly modified version of the CryEngine2 Sandbox2, if you put the EUPDK and the base Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2 side by side it would be hard to tell them apart at a glance, the EUPDK has a few modifications mostly based around a Entropia Universe architecture, particularly when it comes to map export features wherein its vastly different to the base Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2. The EUPDK comes shipped with some basic demo levels and all the content from Planet Calypso. Textures, Meshes, Sounds, ect, and software plugins for studio tools like 3ds Max. To my understanding, what I have just described about the EUPDK is all a Planet Partner has access to, they do not have access to MindArks inner sanctum, being the thing everyone seems to be interested in the 11 secret herbs and spices recipe of loot, once a map is modified or completed by a Planet Partner it is exported into MindArks server. The EUPDK on its own is useless, what I mean by that statement is, If you are not a part of a studio of talented, skilled game developers and artists with the soul focus of making your own planet within EU then having access to The EUPDK is pointless, the engine is clearly defined in its functions. My time with the EUPDK was limited, though it was prone to crashing and had some broken features, from what I have heard through the grapevine, such issue have been fixed and the engine is in a better updated state these days, What the MindArk/Crytek technicians did in converting the base Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2 into the EUPDK is really astonishing and then rebuilding and Importing Entropia Universes systems and assets, the sheer amount of hard work, time and effort that went into that process still boggles my mind. My suggestion to anyone thinking, "If I only had access to the EUPDK I could create my own planet", download the base Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2, you can find it packed with Crysis as the engine is nolonger available online from Crytek, Make a few maps, learn to make your own 3d assets, learn to create animations for creature assets ect, learn to code and with this new found knowledge, hopfully it will give you an idea of how much focused hard work, time and effort gos into making a Planet, then ask yourself again, Is having the EUPDK and making a Planet something you really want to do?.

As for my Opinion on the conversion to the Unreal Engine, It is long overdue, I specifically recall when the announcement came that EU was updating to the Cryengine2, I wondered why MindArk had chosen the Cryengine2 and not Unreal Engine3 that was superior in my personal opinion, having made many maps and mods for unreal tournament 99,2004,3 over the years I had a good understanding of what the Unreal Engine was capable of, but, I like most players in EU was excited for the update nevertheless. Geuss what! we have come full circle, and it is totally not a surprise to me that Entropia Universes next home is Unreal Engine5, bravo! MindArk bravo!.

Here is a screenshot of the Crytek CryEngine2 Sandbox2 vs The EUPDK for those interested, Sandbox2 is on the top, the EUPDK is on the Bottom. Hopefully I shouldn't get into too much trouble shearing the image of the EUPDK as it's just for informative purposes only. 🤞
Interesting to see this info. Which bit did you work on out of interest?

Interesting to see this info. Which bit did you work on out of interest?
Hi! I worked for Arkadia Studios, I designed all the flora (Grass,Trees,Plants) for Planet Arkadia/Moon, I also designed many other assets, other then flora, some of these said assets/concepts were used by Arkadia Studios for Planet Arkadia some were not.

Last edited:
Hi! I worked for Arkadia Studios, I designed all the flora (Grass,Trees,Plants) for Planet Arkadia/Moon, I also designed many other assets, other then flora, some of these said assets/concepts were used by Arkadia Studios for Planet Arkadia some were not.
Ah nice! That must have been fun. Making alien flora etc.

Ah nice! That must have been fun. Making alien flora etc.
Hi! Yeah, it was great working for Arkadia Studios in those early days of the Planets creation I was given full creative freedom to create just about anything my creative mind could dream up, along with everyone on the team, we were all trying very hard to make Planet Arkadia unique and exciting for players. So many great concepts/ideas never made it into the final development, as most development ideas at that time needed to go through Mindark approval process, particularly when it came to new gameplay systems, how Planet Arkadia is today is only 50% of what it could have been. Anyway, working for Arkadia Studios was a really positive and rewarding experience, I guess the only negative is, though this really isn't a negative as such, I find it weird running around with my avatar on Planet Arkadia seeing all the environments/assets (alien flora etc) I helped create, it's a weird feeling that is hard to describe, so I rarely visit Planet Arkadia nowadays, I just stay on calypso mostly.

Maybe a bit off topic, but we still have today some places in this universe where the graphics are behind with like 20 years...

Maybe a bit off topic, but we still have today some places in this universe where the graphics are behind with like 20 years...
Yep, precisely one of the reasons why MindArk is updating to the Unreal enigne 5, definitely a change for the better.

Back