The Oil Rig FAQ

Status

FlameDancer

Alpha
Society
Irken Invaders
FlameDancer
Seeing as how we get questions about the oil rig from new players again and again and again, I thought I'd make an attempt to create a Sticky Thread, mainly based on the information given by various people in this specific Oil Rig thread. So here goes:

1. What is the oil rig?

One of the first ingame message you will receive when you first start playing is about the oil rig and sweating, see picture below. The oil rig is a place where barrels of crude oil spawn on the ground every 7-30 minutes, in quantities of 500-1500 barrels at the time, occasionally ranging up to 1800 or even 2000 barrels. The oil is free for anyone to pick up.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

2. What is crude oil and how do I pick it up?

Crude oil is a type of enmatter that can be used as crafting material, and it can also be used as fuel for space ships. This means that you can sell the oil to get PED. To pick it up, right click on a barrel as shown in the picture below.

3. Where can I find the oil rig?

The oil rig is situated in the middle of PvP area 2 in south east Eudoria, at coordinates X=24290 Y=8265. Press 'P' ingame to see the coordinates for your current position. The oil rig itself is rather small and looks like this:

4. What does PvP mean?

PvP = Player versus Player, which means that you can kill and get killed by other players. The oil rig is frequently visited by PK:ers or Player Killers who enjoy killing other players. Sometimes these PK:ers will 'close' the oil rig which means that they take over the rig to collect the oil themselves, often shooting anyone who gets close to the rig.

5. Can I get robbed of my possessions by these PK:ers?

The answer is no, you can't be robbed in PvP area 2. The only PvP area where you can be robbed after you've been killed is PvP area 3, situated north-northwest of PvP area 2, just south of Camp Echidna. The only possessions you can be robbed of are stackable items.

6. Are there other dangers at the oil rig besides the PK:ers?

Yes, there are often a lot of advanced levels of Atroxes around that will do a lot of damage to you. Unless you have good armour and high level skills, these mobs will easily kill you, as illustrated in the picture below.

7. What is the best way to get to the oil rig?

The nearest TP is Nymphtown, but you might find it easier to get to the oil rig running east from the TP in Twin Peaks as there are a couple of outposts on the way where you can revive. [DELETED].

Another, possibly easier way to get to the outpost just south west of PvP area 2 is swimming all the way from Fort Troy.

You might also try getting to the oil rig by using a TP (Teleport) chip. Once you get to the outpost to the south west it's about 2-3 hops to the rig if you use a lesser TP chip and about 1 hop with a minor TP chip depending on your pshychotrophy skill. You can cut down on some of the hops by running some.

You can read more about chips in The Mindforce Guide .

8. So are you saying it's impossible for n00bs to get oil at the oil rig?

No, it's just very, very difficult. Once you are at the outpost south west of PvP area 2, talk to the players that revive there. If you ask politely, you might get useful information from them, such as if the rig is 'open' or 'closed' at the moment and also the current level of Atrox activity in the area.

And if you get killed by another player inside PvP area 2, please remember that it's nothing personal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Back