News: Halloween Mayhem 2013!

The Halloween Mayhem event token items (Halloween Pumpkins) will be distributed in a way that is more balanced than was the case in the Feffox Mayhem event. To clarify, "The Halloween pumpkins have been distributed in relation to creature difficulty" means that the likelihood of looting event tokens is a direct function of the time and cost of killing each of the different event creatures and bosses.

For example, if Creature A has 100 HP and Creature B has 200 HP -indicating that it takes approximately twice as long to kill Creature B- Rotten Halloween Pumpkins (worth 1 event point) will be roughly twice as common in loots from Creature B than from Creature A.

The scaling used to calculate the relative loot frequencies of the event tokens includes several factors: creature health, threat level, damage distribution, regeneration and alpha damage.

Thus, assuming that a hunter can kill both Creature A and Creature B in a reasonable amount of time compared to other participants, the choice of which creature to hunt should not have a significant impact on the event outcome.

This system should result in participants being able to hunt in any of the instances while still having a proportionate chance of looting each of the various event tokens.

No see - this means that low level hunters (low dps) have no chance of winning because dps is king in this event. So it is an ubers only event.

No see - this means that low level hunters (low dps) have no chance of winning because dps is king in this event. So it is an ubers only event.

Thats pretty much the summary of it.. All the jargon used beyond is basically *noise*.

I dont think u can create an event for all levels fighting for the same prize/category and make it fair for everyone. Too bad with MA/Calypso Team they find it difficult to understand...

Last edited:
I dont think u can create an event for all levels fighting for the same prize/category and make it fair anyways. Too bad with MA/Calypso Team they find it difficult to understand...

You can, but not with the current structure, it is way to simplistic.

I don't think simplistic is the right word as you can still keep it simple and successful,

Following the current system they have in place will just not cut it however.

I dont think u can create an event for all levels fighting for the same prize/category and make it fair anyways. Too bad with MA/Calypso Team they find it difficult to understand...

I don't think simplistic is the right word as you can still keep it simple and successful,

PS. Searching for a previous example I posted on such a structure years ago. May find it may not.
Anyway its posted on this forum under Lavawalker back in 2008/2009 after our last official all out Landgrab and the MM that year. It was structured to make it fair and balanced across the board for MM.

A proper event should include Hunting, Mining and Crafting within its structure.

Last edited:
Should miners have something to do?

Sure they do! I heard that on the upcoming VU Arkadia will get plenty on mining mission to do.

I'm in Arkadia for more than 4 months now, guess where I will stay. :D

PS. Searching for a previous example I posted on such a structure years ago. May find it may not.

My point is there are 2 ways that they could have handled this and made it fair ( well at least better then what they are doing atm anyways)

1. Restrict people to the caves based on there professional levels ( Would make it more like merry mayhem )

or

2. Distribute the prizes based on professional levels. ( That way you compete with people in your dps range and planning plays a bigger role)

As it is now and based on what i comprehend from Kim's statement the dps will win either ways and the only part they need to plan is to whether they wanna go for high maturity/high density or low maturity/high frequency. Either ways without dps you dont stand a chance and since u are in the same bracket as anyone with t7-8 mm's/foe's etc not sure what they are trying to achieve with this setup..

Its worse then merry mayhem in that sense since a lvl 20 guy will be competing with lvl 120 guy for the same prize pool..

omg alpha damage!!!, quick back to the drawing board:wise:

well,not entirely an dps event
last feffox event i used tierd cb32..so thats quite some dam/sec,but i had an very low score since i didnt even loot an 100 pointer
if an noob witl low dam/sec gets an lucky 1k point drop he will have an decent chance to end up in prizes

so yes,the more dam/sec you do the better chance you have,but its not an garanteed finish just as an low dam/sec aint an garanteed loss

and be honest,the players with more dam/sec should have more chance to end up in prizes why else would i skill so hard/buy gear etc..

Ok so we have an event where newcomers have a chance to win something, AND ubers with more chance have a bigger chance to win something. And we have people claiming it is not fair since newcomers have no chance, and there are people whining since newcomers can have a lucky drop and win a price that 'should belong to' an uber.

If anyone in this thread has an idea to make it MORE fair for ALL players, i would really like to hear it :)

Ok so we have an event where newcomers have a chance to win something, AND ubers with more chance have a bigger chance to win something. And we have people claiming it is not fair since newcomers have no chance, and there are people whining since newcomers can have a lucky drop and win a price that 'should belong to' an uber.

If anyone in this thread has an idea to make it MORE fair for ALL players, i would really like to hear it :)

Post 39. That is all..

So, Kim,
before it's even started, what will we be able to learn in hindsight (again)?
1: Entry points that may reduce server-specific lag this time - yay!
2: you want to use the same system multiple times like 'mods'.
3: you are capable of making changes, but only like turning a Rubik's cube a few times, and not necessarily any closer to what potential participants want you to aim for!
4: DPS will still win - but there may be a bit more data gathering about which mob/density/lvl gets the highest average returns.
5: the pp closest to MA couldn't even get the platform developer to put in a timer to track event times so they used the same sentences in the rules as (how long ago was it?) ....

Is this a step forward, a step back, standing still? Does it matter when you're still in the middle of ??? ?
What WILL people be doing, considering the other updates that will be competing in this vu?

Alternative: just consider everything as a bit of fun and go along for the ride in the lowest instance, and watch out for spooky lag, spooky disconnects, spooky this and that without a care in the world.
Hmm, it would seem I may be past caring...... anyone else feel that way?
It is what it is.....

I have a better idea.

Lets leave the event go on as is, and then come back to this conversation :)

Let us see how it pans out.

Let us see if it is the usual suspects that win, when I say usual suspects I mean those who uber dps and what not.

Let us see how many feel cheated and need a few months break to lick their wounds for trying harder than usual.

If MA doesn't do any game fixing (fixing as in player profile alterations of any type) and players play as they usually do in such events, then we can determine if the current mechanics for events "STILL" work or not.

As far as I can see what they have come up with imo won't but it may by a stroke of luck turn out different this time, next time or in ten times events time.

Actually the biggest problem is that the drops are still timer-based.

The solution to what they are whining about is simple: limit entrance to the instances by weapon DPS. Then you can choose your level of investment AND be an uber or noob and still have a "fair" chance.

Of course you'll immediately see that that would reduce the decay during the event and thus isn't likely to be implemented.

Actually the biggest problem is that the drops are still timer-based.

The solution to what they are whining about is simple: limit entrance to the instances by weapon DPS.

Ahh but then you would have the problem that there would have to be more prizes like in merry mayhem. And then there will be another group of players that will start complaining about the decrease in markup of the items :)

I do agree about the timer-based annoyance though.

As fedback from feffox event, its a shame 40 one hour keys cant be issued, as it was in last years merry mayhem. :(

last feffox event i used tierd cb32..so thats quite some dam/sec,but i had an very low score since i didnt even loot an 100 pointer
if an noob witl low dam/sec gets an lucky 1k point drop he will have an decent chance to end up in prizes

so yes,the more dam/sec you do the better chance you have,but its not an garanteed finish just as an low dam/sec aint an garanteed loss

and be honest,the players with more dam/sec should have more chance to end up in prizes why else would i skill so hard/buy gear etc..

As kim said, they have *balanced the loot as compared to last mayhem which on theory works good enough. With feffox event the thing was that most people did not realise/know till it was too late that going for the lowest cave was the optimum solution. Had they realised it sooner, a lot of lower level people who won would not be there.

The idea of any event is to provide a fair chance to everyone participating , else it is a rigged event when a group has much better odds then the others. Why should any low level hunter then participate and why not then just keep the event for everyone above lvl 75 or 80 or whatever.

The high level players should get an advantage but imho ( and this is personal opinion) that should be the prize value as in lvl 70+ gets mod hedoc as 1st prize whereas lvl 25 gets an adjusted hedoc as 1st prize ( similar to merry mayhem).

I presume Calypso team wants participation as is evident from the marathon of events they are running and i doubt they will achieve this by making a system which caters to a few.

See what you wrote here in bold, only caters to a small portion in this day and age of the financial world situation of Entropia players.

MindArk is trying to make money from maximising participation in giving all a chance of equal opportunity to win.

What you have mentioned is not the case, hence it will be the suckers and the unsure people who enter along with that above mentioned small group catered for that will participate.

Not exactly the outcome MindArk is looking for as a growth strategy to maximise making money from such an event now is it ?

miners should be able to mine up pumpkin seeds and grow our own pumpkins to hand in

miners should be able to mine up pumpkin seeds and grow our own pumpkins to hand in

heh, the growing part in this post is something I have ideas for, but not for pumpkins :)

For example, if Creature A has 100 HP and Creature B has 200 HP -indicating that it takes approximately twice as long to kill Creature B- Rotten Halloween Pumpkins (worth 1 event point) will be roughly twice as common in loots from Creature B than from Creature A.

Translates to.... Leave the contest to the top 20 DPS hunters and the rest of EU's customers don't waste your time or PEDs.

VERY honorable of Kim to clarify that though. I mean.... we'll all try the mobs no doubt but I for one won't bother timing my hours in instances OR depositing to grind through 40 hrs either. Not that I have a problem with "Biggest Gear Wins" I mean.... there should be regular events like that otherwise the top players won't have much reason to cycle PEDs. Realistically though.... no point in anyone under 100 DPS to even consider attempting a top 10 spot. (what's that.... 80% of the playerbase?)

Menace

Translates to.... Leave the contest to the top 20 DPS hunters and the rest of EU's customers don't waste your time or PEDs.

VERY honorable of Kim to clarify that though. I mean.... we'll all try the mobs no doubt but I for one won't bother timing my hours in instances OR depositing to grind through 40 hrs either. Not that I have a problem with "Biggest Gear Wins" I mean.... there should be regular events like that otherwise the top players won't have much reason to cycle PEDs. Realistically though.... no point in anyone under 100 DPS to even consider attempting a top 10 spot. (what's that.... 80% of the playerbase?)

Menace

While it's true that the top hunters have an advantage they're by no means guaranteed to win. The luck factor involved in looting the big pumpkins makes it possible for a lesser hunter to be propelled into a prize position.

Even if you "know" you can't win the event there are still many lootable reasons to participate.

While it's true that the top hunters have an advantage they're by no means guaranteed to win. The luck factor involved in looting the big pumpkins makes it possible for a lesser hunter to be propelled into a prize position.

Even if you "know" you can't win the event there are still many lootable reasons to participate.

Yeah we seen some nice items come from Feffox. And hey.... 9 mth old players can loot 330k ATH's so why couldn't a 9 mth old player loot the 8+ 1k point pumpkins it would take to compete with Skalman's score last feffox event?

Menace

Yeah we seen some nice items come from Feffox. And hey.... 9 mth old players can loot 330k ATH's so why couldn't a 9 mth old player loot the 8+ 1k point pumpkins it would take to compete with Skalman's score last feffox event?

Menace

They can, it just didn't happen that time.

Its the same "ubers" with the same old tune.....

the event looks to be balanced for all, but I see the same players with the same excuse, trying to chase out the competition. The truth is they are scared that the event may be fair, and want to limit the pool of players to compete with.

I say quit complaining, and bring it on :p

-- offtopic --

... but I for one won't bother timing my hours in instances OR depositing to grind through 40 hrs either. Not that I have a problem with "Biggest Gear Wins" I mean.... there should be regular events like that otherwise the top players won't have much reason to cycle PEDs. Realistically though...

Grats on getting unbanned again.

-- offtopic end --

a 1k point pumpkin is 1000 creatures assuming a 100% droprate of regular pumpkins, and that will not be the case I guess. anyway, even if the creatures only have 200 hp that is 200 000 hp to kill to get the same amount, 200k hp would take ~33 minutes to gather (assuming 100 dps), which is 1.25% of the total amount of time available to the participants (total of 40 hours). The uber pumpkins would have to be worth more (a lot more in fact) for the lower levels to be able to compete with the ubers.

I will participate and mine as i always do..I doubt my hunting luck will show in an event...maybe someday miners will be thought of as participants as well

Good to know Kim, but it seems the vast majority of items looted on Calypso are guns. How come you don't drop more Chronicle Ten, Ten armor plates, or Ten clothes, and give those as prizes as well. I mean, we have a lot of Slugstorm ingame already for the amount of player who actually can use or want it.

Back