4 Cores, 4GB Ram, GF 8800GTX - Does it really help?

Hi, this may sound a silly question, but can you get EU to split across the CPU affinities ? In lehmanns terms, use all the cores.

I have a dual core turion 64 2GHZ laptop and EU only uses the 1st core, meaning it's actually slower (CPU Speed) than my 3 year old 2.6GHz laptop. Thing is, I use it as the other laptop has a poor CPU.

Are you able to make EU use all cores simutaneously ??

Check page 4 of this discussion, hope it helps.

The problem you have is that EU will just run on a single CPU core to start with. Do this test, open up Task Manager, on the Entropia.exe process right click and select "Set Affinity ...". If gives a dialog to select which processors to run that process on. Don't select or deselect anything, and but just hit ok. Have a look at your processor utilisation now... It should be more evenly spread. On mine its about 70% on the first processor and 20-30 on the second and little bits and pieces on the other two.

I run a 2 Dual Cores (so 4 processors), if setting the affinity to only CPU 0, and 1, I get about 60% utilisation on both. It's something to play around with to see if you get different results, and if/how it affect the game.

And from what I can tell EU runs on 11 threads.

Shaz Monaro

Shaz Monaro

Dear Forum Mates!

Now I have the system (see first message in this thread) up and running.

And I can say it helps:
* PvP is so much easier
* FPS in the ring in Twins and maximum visuall settings is over 50 :cool:
* No delay anymore.

Only server specific lags are still existing:
* Going out of a shop container
* Too many avatars on the server ( >50 )
* Loot delay if too many mobs are on server ( e.g. eomons )

No problem anymore with
* Open Storage
* Shot delay
* Position correction effects

But what helped much with my 5 sec weapons selection delay was the last VU some weeks ago. Afterwards the effect was away. Reason was bug/setting of MA, not my computer or connection.

Ok, just wanted to give you the final results. Hope it helps you too.

I hope you did not invest in the system just because of EU.

Regarding the described minimal benefits and EU: Do you consider the investement in the hardware as a good or bad descision? Meaning if you would have known for sure those minimal benefits, would you have bought this system for EU?

As I think buying such a system has more than just playing reasons, I am just curious about the hypothetic possibilities. :) If you just bought it for playing reasons, well, why bother anyway? :D

I dont think you should go for Xeon-s if you are going for graphical performance, those processors are built for servers and server applications, and you mostly wont get the full use of them if you dont run them on Windows Server OS.

It may sound weird but its true, Xeon is the old and infamus manifestum of speed and power, but it was shown that its usage is not meant for 3D object rendering due to its arhitecture.

The very nice proof of this is that IBM (at least i think, not sure at all) built a supercomputer for rendering real time nuclear explosions out of AMD Athlon XP-s (which in that period triumphed over Intels processors when it comes to graphics.)

So, if you want graphics, go for something like AMD Athlon 64 FX which proven to be the one of the best graphics processors ever made, and if you want to calculate the i dont know which digit of PI or make your comp a server, go for Xeon, it will definatly prove the best proc for the task.

People tend to trip over these things easily, they just go out and buy something that has the highest number of digits on its price, while not even knowing how it actually works and what is it meant for.

Thats the way its meant to be, commercial hardware is allmost allways the faster the better, but high end hardware is more categorized and meant for specific uses, and in those areas it performs the way it was meant to, so i suggest you build that monster again with different CPU-s if you are looking for graphics, my go would definatly be latest AMD FX processors if i had nearly enough money, haha...

To those saying that vista sucks and bla bla performance sucks.. well ur wrong :) completely wrong..

but you have to think before upgrading to it and make sure your system can handle it.

Also you have to make sure that you have all drivers for your hardware and such.

Sure some tweaking of the drivers for gfx cards are still needed but so far i got a kickass system that works wonders.

I do got some minor problems though but nothing major and i mainly think it's due to not having a fully legal copy :rolleyes:

Gonna buy one though as soon as i get the money for it.

Yes , close mobs display do reduce FPS.
But take something that show FPS , like fraps.
Go in an apartement for exemple , dont move, then play with an item in your hand to make it show up.What ever is your configuration , what ever is the item , your fps will decrease by factor 2.It does not seems related to the item itself , but more to the code.

Not exactly factor 2, but I see what you mean.

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

[br]Click to enlarge[/br]

Dear Forum Members,

I am so pissed in the last time with all the lag (5 sec delay after selecting weapon or fap) and low FPS rates, that I ordered components for a new Computer.

So my question to you all. Will it be helpfull for gameplay? Will be the FPS rates better, lag and freezes lesser? :confused:

This will be my new configuration:

Processors:......2 x Intel Xeon 5150 (total 4 cores)
Ram:...............4 GB (fullybuffered)
Graphics:.........Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX (768 MB)
HDD:...............5 x 500 GB (Raid 0 for System Partition and Raid 5 for Data Partition)

Give me your comments, pls.

If this config does not help, MA will have no chance to argue against to less performance, in my opinion.

performance is maxed with less, what your ping to the server for example huge factor

Back